Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Well They have like 3 or 4 times normal health so you are intended to ignore them because you probably don't have the weapon strength to take that amount of health down a timely fashion. Congrats to you since you did though i suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
These deviant grinds are brutal AHHHHH

But at least there's lots of gems to upgrade my other armor!!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

cancerianmoth posted:

Just got into village rank 4. I played HH, GL, LBG in 4u so I decided to try Aerial SA, but found it kinda boring. Then I switched over to adept CB- which gives the defensive stuff I loved about GL. I am also trying aerial glaive which is just nuts. Still haven't decided on a ranged option though.

But what really got me was running into flagship monsters for the first time in village rank 2-3 gathering or kill X quests. Did anyone else happen to actually kill them AND complete those quests? Running into bubble lizard and the mammoth ended up in triple carts. I did, however, manage to capture Blade-rex during an abysmal mushroom quest with 5 min to spare. Did they intend for you to fail or completely ignore them? Bc that's no fun.

You did good capping him on that quest because they have 2-3x as much HP as they normally do in them :v:

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

You did good capping him on that quest because they have 2-3x as much HP as they normally do in them :v:

geez! I was using my the freebie glaive that i leveled to 4 and had a mix set with crit+1 and HP +1 (mix between the set that uses the super rare bug the meownster hunters can find and jaggi with HP gems).

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I need to farm Plesioth stuff and I join a pub where the sole person there tells me that gunners are useless but I convince him to let me use my useless light bow gun by just telling him to humor me. He decides to go with just the two of us, he dies all three times, and then kicks me. Pubs are wonderful, sometimes.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Well maybe if you weren't distracting him so much by being so useless he wouldn't have died, you ever think of that? :colbert:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
He wouldn't have died 3 times if you were using a useful weapon and actually killed the thing faster jfc.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

On a plesioth of all things too. I can't think of a monster that I'd rather gun every drat time than him.

Have they taken out removing the limiters on BG in generations and just replaced it with hunter arts?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

i am tim! posted:

Well maybe if you weren't distracting him so much by being so useless he wouldn't have died, you ever think of that? :colbert:

The funny thing was that I was using my support gun because Plesioth is annoying for melee users.

I was healing him, boosting his defense, and stunning the Plesioth constantly with special rounds.

Flython posted:

On a plesioth of all things too. I can't think of a monster that I'd rather gun every drat time than him.

Have they taken out removing the limiters on BG in generations and just replaced it with hunter arts?

They're hidden behind hunter arts now...mostly. The "reload everything" ability for LBG is an art called "Full House" now that gets progressively faster as it levels up. Wyvren Fire is now just innate in a few more powerful guns as secondary ammo that it comes pre-stocked with.

I've been using the Adept style because the worst thing in the world was getting targeted by monsters with your piddly defense, and you get a "power reload" where you immediately reload after dodging and fire more powerful rounds for about ten seconds afterwards. If you're using the HBG, you can push X to immediately drop into crouching fire, or if you're using the LBG you can push X to sprint with your gun drawn after reloading.

There's a lot of quality of life changes for gunners in general. You can undraw into reload, and...well the rest is for heavy gunners. You can dodge roll out of crouching fire in any direction and immediately drop down into crouching fire again during that if you just need to reset the counter. You can also fire your guns in midair and cancel reload animations with hunter arts.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 18, 2016

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Hey if any of you want sick art of the Generations flagships and their associated equipment, this guy's done great pictures for all four of them.

http://ninesicks.tumblr.com/tagged/monster-hunter

Looks like he just finished today.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Hello there, new phone background.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Squidtentacle posted:

Hey if any of you want sick art of the Generations flagships and their associated equipment, this guy's done great pictures for all four of them.

http://ninesicks.tumblr.com/tagged/monster-hunter

Looks like he just finished today.

This art triggers me because he didn't follow their neat convention of oppositional eye color to theme color. Instead they all have red eyes except for the Glavenus armor which has blue. At least make them all red! 0/10.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

AttackBacon posted:

This art triggers me because he didn't follow their neat convention of oppositional eye color to theme color. Instead they all have red eyes except for the Glavenus armor which has blue. At least make them all red! 0/10.

Yeeeeah, it's definitely not 100% accurate. Every monster having red eyes bugs me, especially Astalos and Gammoth.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I picked up the game super late and I'm having a lot of fun, but I'm trying to get into the Bow and the Hidden Bow isn't really doing it for me, the pierce shots are too situational for these low-rank monsters. I want to get a Rapid shot bow but I don't know which to pick, most just seem either really vanilla or I can't make them until 6*, and I only just now got to 5*. Any thoughts, friends?

Also, is the Airship Horn good? I really want to make it for the novelty.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Airship Horn song selection isn't bad, but its raw damage is always outpaced but other horns at every level, and it caps at green sharpness without sharpness+. It's the first Blast horn you can make at least.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Also, is the Airship Horn good? I really want to make it for the novelty.

Always make it for the novelty.

Its why i have the Corn Gunlance despite not using gunlance at all. :/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Electric Lady posted:

Yep, getting to HR4 automatically unlocks all the carts. It's the easiest way by far.

e: Or am I thinking of the shops?

Can somebody confirm? I just started doing the cart quests and realizing they require palico missions I'd really rather skip it.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Alxprit posted:

I picked up the game super late and I'm having a lot of fun, but I'm trying to get into the Bow and the Hidden Bow isn't really doing it for me, the pierce shots are too situational for these low-rank monsters. I want to get a Rapid shot bow but I don't know which to pick, most just seem either really vanilla or I can't make them until 6*, and I only just now got to 5*. Any thoughts, friends?

Yeah, Bow selection sucks hardcore in early LR. Like you said, you're fighting small monsters, so Rapid is best. Problem is, there aren't a lot of Bows with Rapid Lv3 in the third charge that can take power coatings.

I just leveled up the Petrified Bow. Then made the Sonic Bow. Just need some bugs to make it. Then you can level it up when you get access to the Volcano with some Hercudromes.

From there I made the Blango Fur Bow. At level 3 it can use level lv2 power coatings. The Glavenus Bow is good too.

But at the end of the day, you'll end up using Teostra's Bow. It's just too good.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Quote is not edit.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Zaphod42 posted:

Can somebody confirm? I just started doing the cart quests and realizing they require palico missions I'd really rather skip it.

I had everything unlocked from all the prowler village hunts before I cleared hardly any of them because reaching HR4 also unlocks all that stuff.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

You can just unlock the Palico stuff just by leveling up your HR.
e:beaten

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Devlan Mud posted:

I had everything unlocked from all the prowler village hunts before I cleared hardly any of them because reaching HR4 also unlocks all that stuff.

This is kinda awkwardly worded, but after reading it a few times I think the answer is yes, so cool I'm not going to bother just gonna push ahead.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zaphod42 posted:

HR4 should unlock all the traders and the second cart.

HR5 should unlock the third cart.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Any cool skills that can fit in 4x oo slots? I'm currently running Glavenus S with a nice charm that puts me at a total of +16 Handicraft +10 Grinder +3 Gloves Off. Right now I just have Evasion jewels slotted in so I can get E+2 with a 2 slot weapon. I have enough points in Handicraft where I could gem in Speed Sharpening or Razor Sharp while still maintaining S+1, but I don't know how worth it that would be.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Any cool skills that can fit in 4x oo slots? I'm currently running Glavenus S with a nice charm that puts me at a total of +16 Handicraft +10 Grinder +3 Gloves Off. Right now I just have Evasion jewels slotted in so I can get E+2 with a 2 slot weapon. I have enough points in Handicraft where I could gem in Speed Sharpening or Razor Sharp while still maintaining S+1, but I don't know how worth it that would be.

You Can get Gloves Off +2 with that many slots.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Depends on the weapon. I know I'd much rather have S+1 and Razor Sharp than S+2.

If your preferred weapon's sharpness bar isn't that long, maybe S+2 would be better, though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah, Bow selection sucks hardcore in early LR. Like you said, you're fighting small monsters, so Rapid is best. Problem is, there aren't a lot of Bows with Rapid Lv3 in the third charge that can take power coatings.

I just leveled up the Petrified Bow. Then made the Sonic Bow. Just need some bugs to make it. Then you can level it up when you get access to the Volcano with some Hercudromes.

From there I made the Blango Fur Bow. At level 3 it can use level lv2 power coatings. The Glavenus Bow is good too.

But at the end of the day, you'll end up using Teostra's Bow. It's just too good.

The Sonic Bow did seem like a good start, so I'll make that, thanks. I was looking at Glavenus too but unfortunately he's a bit later than the other three flagships. Unless I wanted to fight it in that preview "scare you" mission.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

SilverGryphon posted:

This. Monster Hunting is about beating up monsters with weapons and armor made of their deceased brethren. People need to chill and get back to enjoying the utter, nonsensical badassery that is this series rather than getting their Moofah-wool knickers in a twist about who is Playing The Right Way.

Prowler missions are cool and good and you should do them.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Electric Lady posted:

Depends on the weapon. I know I'd much rather have S+1 and Razor Sharp than S+2.

If your preferred weapon's sharpness bar isn't that long, maybe S+2 would be better, though.

I'm maining SnS. Haven't had time to check just how much white I lose out on with just S+1.

Does Speed Sharpening also apply to the SnS oils? That'd make it a super useful skill to have.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I swapped from Adept Switch Axe over to Adept Longsword after I found out about the changes made to the weapon, and MAN is it a blast! The counter spirit strike is finicky to get used to but so much easier to pull off than the circle swing. I'm liking the HA that's gives me a maxed out spirit gauge, doubly so if I can time it well with the monster being down so I can fade chain a massive spirit combo. That said, I'm super to run with the counter attack art. Is that one worth it, it looks so dang cool.

Also, on my first proper hunt of Astalos, I found myself absolutely chumping the poo poo out of him with perfect dodges and a constant red spirit gauge. Until I mentioned that out loud to my wife at which point he proceeded to smack me into a few walls, a tree, and then into the cart.

EDIT: I'm also looking at trying out SnS, striker style. Looks like Elemental weapons are the way to go, so I know I'll be best served with a variety of elemental swords, but would I be able to use a Burst element SnS as something of a "catch all" element?

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 18, 2016

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Flython posted:

Removing limiters is a G-rank thing that you could only use with G-rank level guns.

MHG doesn't have G-rank, so there's no limiter removing.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I was burning out super hard on this game trying to solo my way up to high rank to actually get to content worth playing, so I took a break from adept GS to see what gunlances I could make. Ended up going with the glavenus one because if I'm playing a weapon about making explosions I want the strongest explosions I can get. Made the rhenoplos set and gemmed up to artillery expert, ate for the explosions skill...

And murdered the mizutsune key in less than twelve minutes. :stare:

I'm taking 20 minutes average to solo things with my GS. This is basically cheating.

Also, something neat I found that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else before is that the Dragon Breath hunter art locks your gauge at max no matter what. The obvious use is for the damage boost to shelling and not having to micromanage the gauge for stabbing for a bit, but it also works as a fantastic panic button if, say, you didn't realize your gauge unlocked and you overheat accidentally. It'll pop you right back into red and lock you there for good measure. As far as I can tell it's the only way in the game to cancel overheating as a result of going past red.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Wrist Watch posted:

Also, something neat I found that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else before is that the Dragon Breath hunter art locks your gauge at max no matter what. The obvious use is for the damage boost to shelling and not having to micromanage the gauge for stabbing for a bit, but it also works as a fantastic panic button if, say, you didn't realize your gauge unlocked and you overheat accidentally. It'll pop you right back into red and lock you there for good measure. As far as I can tell it's the only way in the game to cancel overheating as a result of going past red.

Yep! Dragon's Breath is fantastic for normal GLs, especially since I seem to keep underestimating the strength of full bursts. It's pretty much mandatory in my Aerial GL experience.

Glad you're finding something else you enjoy. I'd really encourage branching out to more stuff; I always hated lances, but this game makes them surprisingly fun.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

i am tim! posted:

That said, I'm super to run with the counter attack art. Is that one worth it, it looks so dang cool.
Yes, the counter-attack is incredibly powerful. Of course, it has a long recharge, and the other hunter arts are extremely powerful in their own ways, but it's a freakin' counter-attack. Seriously, though, very strong. 180% motion at rank 3, which is naturally going to stack with all of the other Longsword buffs. With red focus, full spirit buff, and rank 3 counter you're looking at 2.44x base raw damage. Use against a monster charge for best results to get that damage to hit on the monster's face (usually weakest hitzone), but there's hardly anything more satisfying that chopping a tail off on a counter hit.

i am tim! posted:

EDIT: I'm also looking at trying out SnS, striker style. Looks like Elemental weapons are the way to go, so I know I'll be best served with a variety of elemental swords, but would I be able to use a Burst element SnS as something of a "catch all" element?

Blast element isn't necessarily a catch all, there are some monsters that are resistant. Not as resistant as most monsters are to some elements, so yeah, it's better than the literal 0 element damage you would do to a lot of targets otherwise. Not a bad idea though. Blast is good, and making a set for it is pretty easy.

Fortunately, most of the blast resistant monsters are vulnerable to Water instead. So if you want a tool to cover them, there you go.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Squidtentacle posted:

Yep! Dragon's Breath is fantastic for normal GLs, especially since I seem to keep underestimating the strength of full bursts. It's pretty much mandatory in my Aerial GL experience.

Glad you're finding something else you enjoy. I'd really encourage branching out to more stuff; I always hated lances, but this game makes them surprisingly fun.

I'll give it a try, Lancing never clicked with me in 4U. Maybe Generations will change my mind!

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The best part of Dragon's Breath is not that it takes you out of overheat status, but that it adds a monstrous damage boost to your shells while in effect. I think they each get 10 raw and 10 fire damage, which ends up being buckets of pain with a normal GL. I've started taking it over Blast Dash, because it's just amazing.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Wrist Watch posted:

I was burning out super hard on this game trying to solo my way up to high rank to actually get to content worth playing, so I took a break from adept GS to see what gunlances I could make. Ended up going with the glavenus one because if I'm playing a weapon about making explosions I want the strongest explosions I can get. Made the rhenoplos set and gemmed up to artillery expert, ate for the explosions skill...

And murdered the mizutsune key in less than twelve minutes. :stare:

I'm taking 20 minutes average to solo things with my GS. This is basically cheating.

Always glad for another person to join the GL fraternity, but uhh... GL is one of the worst weapons in the game in terms of speed kills, so I wouldn't get too excited on that front :)

It sounds like the weapon clicks with you which is awesome! If you're getting to High Rank soon I recommend starting on the Seregios GL, it's a great late game weapon. It's a Long type so it's OK with most styles, though I tend to use it with Striker or Adept.

Armour wise they made it easy on us in Gen really -- full set of Seltas S gets you Artillery Expert, Razor Sharp and Heroes Talisman (which nullifies small monster attacks which is great for GL, since we're so trip-prone). No slots, but a good charm and slotted weapon can let you squeeze another skill in.

On the down side, some guy on Redditch ran the numbers, and actually in late game the pokes far out damage the shells in most situations again, unless you're using Wide. Someday Capcom please figure out how to balance this weapon!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

I'll give it a try, Lancing never clicked with me in 4U. Maybe Generations will change my mind!

Give aerial a try. The biggest impediment, aside from lance being a little clumsy and easy to whiff, is the dodge being replaced with a backsteb. Aerial has its own issues, but having a forward facing roll can making normalize the learning curve a little so you can maybe go striker and figure out the backstep after you have a better feel for how the weapon handles.

Lance is incredibly fun though. At least in Striker (and historically) it has a really steady rhythm, and with an evasion set can really give you a sense of total control over a hunt. Very much like a boxing game with the ducking and weaving.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I have four deviant sets left to max out and I'm disappointed in the amount of bulldromes there are in these quests. The only interesting ones have been redhelm joined by a savage joe and dreadking+dreadqueen in one quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
So I didn't realise Aerial SA was so OP until I was too far into it to really change, now I'm an established HRbreak hunter I'd like to try another blademaster weapon. Striker SnS looks like mad fun, but does anyone have any other testimonials to sway my decision? I'm in the process of making a HBG set because I've never tried Gunner before also

• Locked thread