Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Eela6 posted:

Is there a way to permanently set core affinity for a program in windows 10?

Relatedly, can I set a maximum ram limit for a program?

I want my numerical analysis tools to leave one of my processors and 2gb of ram alone.

Hope this is the right thread for this question. Thank you!

You have to create a shortcut. It goes "cmd.exe /C start /affinity $$ executable.exe"
$$ is a hex reference to a core assignment. 0x1 through 0xF and it goes like this:
code:
0x1 Core 1
0x2 Core 2
0x3 Cores 1 & 2
0x4 Core 3
0x5 Cores 1 & 3
0x6 Cores 2 & 3
0x7 Cores 1, 2, 3
0x8 Core 4
0x9 Cores 1, 3
0xA Cores 2, 4
0XB Cores 1, 2, 4
0xC Cores 3, 4
0xD Cores 1, 3, 4
0xE Cores 2, 3, 4
0xF Cores 1, 2, 3, 4
As for RAM, I haven't see a way to restrict that as Windows manages it directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Want to be even more pissed off at Windows 10's update schedule? The phone OS maps Active Hours to the complement of Quiet Hours, which can give you ranges like 0500-2300. Sucks on the weekend though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Since the anniversary update came out I've only seen 2 updates that required restarts, and both time the OS did a fine job of avoiding me. The first time it actually did it during the middle of the day when I had put the pc in sleep while being out, at a time that normally would have been active hours. Which means it was doing something pretty smart, scheduling the reboot as it went to sleep. I presume if I'd woken the pc back up it wouldn't actually have happened then.

This is one spot that I'm willing to give them a chance to prove they can figure out scheduling updates using basic pattern recognition.

OTOH the second time was because update decided to roll back my radeon drivers like 6 loving point versions, what a pain in the rear end. The setting for not doing drivers has been conveniently reset by anniversary. I'm now keeping a text file of all the stuff I do to every drat setting & customization because evidently I have to re-do it every major update.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

edit: nm

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 17, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009

thebigcow posted:

Figure out what is running msiexec with no options at startup.
Where can I see this?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

ufarn posted:

Where can I see this?

msconfig if it's a Service causing it. More likely though it's an app, so go to the Start-up section of the task manager, and disable anything you're not sure of and if it still doesn't go away disable the rest one at a time until you find what's causing it.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Anyone been fighting the Xbox Game DVR after the Anniversary Update? I had a hell of a time trying to troubleshoot why CS was suddenly running like rear end from one day to the next, turns out the Xbox app I've never touched decided I wanted DVR when I updated. What's even cooler is they want you to log in to turn the setting off. Had to use some combination of regedit and powershell to pull that poo poo up with its roots.

Icept fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 17, 2016

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Icept posted:

Anyone been fighting the Xbox Game DVR after the Anniversary Update? I had a hell of a time trying to troubleshoot why CS was suddenly running like rear end from one day to the next, turns out the Xbox app I've never touched decided I wanted DVR when I updated. What's even cooler is they want you to log in to turn the setting off. Had to use some combination of regedit and powershell to pull that poo poo up with its roots.

Yeah I had the same problem, my framerates were in the tank due to that stupid overlay/DVR poo poo. I had disabled it already before the update but as usual any major new build just seems to turn on/off whatever it wants.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Is there a hivemind consensus on the best free antivirus?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Filthy Hans posted:

Windows 10 comes with it built-in, there's absolutely no reason to use another one.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Windows 10 comes with it built-in, there's absolutely no reason to use another one.

Thanks, I didn't realize this

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

While not being strictly antivirus, Malwarebytes doesn't hurt. Adwcleaner is great for running occasionally.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Icept posted:

How did you figure out that was the problem? Now I want to check that but I don't want to have to log into the app and go through that mess.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

Just get Ad Muncher, and maybe check your UAC level depending on your level of security obsession. Ad Muncher can obviously also block other stuff by accident, but it's great in general.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

CFox posted:

How did you figure out that was the problem? Now I want to check that but I don't want to have to log into the app and go through that mess.

To be honest I never actually figured it out myself, I just thought that it was some weird conflict between Valve's game and the Nvidia driver/Shadowplay. It wasn't until someone linked this thing on reddit that I was clued in (can't remember the post). I'd never used the app so I had no idea it could possibly be affecting anything.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sent this to the Windows guy who sits next to me at work. I think I heard the facepalm echo off of one of the buildings downtown.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ufarn posted:

Just get Ad Muncher, and maybe check your UAC level depending on your level of security obsession. Ad Muncher can obviously also block other stuff by accident, but it's great in general.

Ad Muncher doesn't seem to work with HTTPS, which I suppose makes sense. Is there anything that can be done about that?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

Ad Muncher doesn't seem to work with HTTPS, which I suppose makes sense. Is there anything that can be done about that?

All ad muncher really accomplishes is what a HOSTS file accomplishes, and that's not stopped by HTTPS. This is the easiest way to make sure you have one that's fairly up to date to block known ad and malware domains:
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

And on top of that, install uBlock Origin in Firefox or Chrome, and right now AdBlock Plus for Edge. Eventually uBlock Origin will be available for Edge (there are several people with inital ports, but you have to remember to re-enable them every start), so when that happens you should switch to that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah I definitely have uBlock Origin. I also have HTTPS Everywhere, which is why I thought Ad Muncher might not be doing much.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Icept posted:

You might want to make a script for that since it will install itself again.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
There is also a fork of uBlock Origin that is recommended by gorhill. You'll need to enable Development Mode in about :flags to use it, since it's prerelease and not on the Store.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

While not being strictly antivirus, Malwarebytes doesn't hurt. Adwcleaner is great for running occasionally.

Malwarebytes is a decent idea to have on the hard drive just in case, because you can run it manually to spot a few things that Defender misses, and the free version of Malwarebytes only runs when you tell it. You don't want anything else because antiviruses that have a realtime scan will fight with the realtime scan of Defender, and either one disables the other or they both try to run at once and make the PC super slow.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fun.

http://winaero.com/blog/stop-windows-10-anniversary-update-from-installing-candy-crush-and-other-unwanted-apps/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Spring 2017 Big Update: secpol rules can't be created for built-in windows apps unless you're using Enterprise, all existing policies reverted

2 weeks later: here's an even more obscure way to get ad-crap to gently caress off!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So is there no way to search for exact phrases in text files? Putting things in quotes doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore :(

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Morter posted:

So is there no way to search for exact phrases in text files? Putting things in quotes doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore :(

make sure you have the folder they're in set to index file contents (folder properties->general->advanced)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

We use Applocker a lot at work. Great tool. Wouldn't force it on my worst enemy.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Klyith posted:

Spring 2017 Big Update: secpol rules can't be created for built-in windows apps unless you're using Enterprise, all existing policies reverted

2 weeks later: here's an even more obscure way to get ad-crap to gently caress off!

Enterprise can downgrade to 'Security' level, which only installs the original Candy Crush with Facebook integration disabled.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Win10 did its forced reboot thing yesterday and now the Mail app force-closes after being open anywhere from four to ten seconds. :downs:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

isndl posted:

Win10 did its forced reboot thing yesterday and now the Mail app force-closes after being open anywhere from four to ten seconds. :downs:

I had that happen with Groove on my oldest machine except it closed instantly. Wasn't able to fix it but the thing is basically an expensive file server so... eh. Do Store apps have Event Log equivalents?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Neat

http://winaero.com/blog/stop-windows-10-anniversary-update-from-installing-candy-crush-and-other-unwanted-apps/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lot of details missing from this blog post, for instance:

Does this work when the moon isn't full?

How old do the lambs you're sacrificing have to be, exactly? "Young" isn't descriptive enough.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Last Chance posted:

Lot of details missing from this blog post, for instance:

Does this work when the moon isn't full?

How old do the lambs you're sacrificing have to be, exactly? "Young" isn't descriptive enough.

A waxing gibbous or half moon will do in a pinch. Bad Things happen if you attempt this on a new moon.

We haven't figured out exactly how young the goats need to be, partially because the parameters for this seem to change. We've seen the most success with billy goats born under the Scorpio, Pisces, or Cancer constellations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Shumagorath posted:

I had that happen with Groove on my oldest machine except it closed instantly. Wasn't able to fix it but the thing is basically an expensive file server so... eh. Do Store apps have Event Log equivalents?

I think this is it? "Activation of app microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!ppleae38af2e007f4358a809ac99a64a67c1 failed with error: Access is denied. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information."

Seems like poo poo is broken across the board though. My event log has the same error for Cortana, CloudExperienceHost, ContentDeliveryManager, Messaging, WindowsStore, CommsPhone, Photos, etc. 39 app errors logged in the last hour, 790 in the last 24 hours, 1093 in the last 7 days.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Is there any recent fixes for build 1607 regarding the black screen hang? Where if you have a G-Sync (Freesync?) monitor after you exit a game, it goes to a black screen hang.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

If I installed the Windows 10 upgrade before July 31, 2016 on a laptop that came with 8.1, and then, after July 31, do a factory reset, bringing it back to 8.1, will it be possible for me to get the 10 upgrade for free again?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yes.
1) Your hardware fingerprint is already available to Microsoft and will be matched when you go to activate.
2) Technically it is still possible to upgrade for free with just a key currently.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In the last couple days I've had a weird thing happening. I use foobar as my music player, and in addition to the standard media keys on my keyboard, I added an additional key bound to play/pause. Everything used to work fine, but now the extra key doesn't work when I'm playing a game (Saints Row IV if it matters), and the media keys don't work at all when I'm not playing the game. What the hell is going on, and how can I fix it?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys I have a weird problem on a new PC i just got with windows 10. When browsing the forums here, I'll randomly get a blank page that says "bad client" I tried to google it but don't really have a specific way to phrase it to find an answer other than "try clearing your cache/cookies". Doing that worked the first time, now it doesn't. I restarted the PC,that worked, but then I got the bad client page again. I am using the most recent Chrome. Opening Internet Explorer just resulted in the same "bad client" page when I tried going to the forums. I'm having to make this post on my laptop at the moment.

Like I said, this is a hard issue to search for on google, so I'd appreciate any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys I have a weird problem on a new PC i just got with windows 10. When browsing the forums here, I'll randomly get a blank page that says "bad client" I tried to google it but don't really have a specific way to phrase it to find an answer other than "try clearing your cache/cookies". Doing that worked the first time, now it doesn't. I restarted the PC,that worked, but then I got the bad client page again. I am using the most recent Chrome. Opening Internet Explorer just resulted in the same "bad client" page when I tried going to the forums. I'm having to make this post on my laptop at the moment.

Like I said, this is a hard issue to search for on google, so I'd appreciate any help.

It's probably not you, other people are reporting the same thing in the QCS Technical Thread