Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I don't have a solution but why does your fridge have a remote?

E: nvm I just saw the make and didn't think about the fact that Frigidaire makes other things besides refrigerators.

I too was trying to imagine a world where I would sit on the couch and check the temperature of my ectocooler and crystal pepsi. What sort of luxury features are also available in this fridge? Does it txt me when I'm low on frozen pizzas? Is there an app so I can see inside the fridge and answer the question: "does the light stay on when I close the door?"?

I googled with such high hopes for this fridge of the future. Then I was greeted with the sad beige grill of a window unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

OSU_Matthew posted:

What kind of siding? Is it siding or trim? Could you post pictures?

Wood siding, I don't think the trim is effected. Here is a video of me pressing on the softer spots, basically just the lower right corner of each of the slats. The PO didn't have the gutter spout in place when we bought the house, my guess is that caused it. Painted after we bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0gS30msomI

Don't mind the crying baby in the distance...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just bought a set of letter stamps for the custom axe handle project that I've started:

What is an easy way to darken letters in wood that hasn't been treated? I've been experimenting with a couple, and the one that has the most contrast smears when wet...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Heating your stamps up red hot before stamping would do the trick.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

What is an easy way to darken letters in wood that hasn't been treated? I've been experimenting with a couple, and the one that has the most contrast smears when wet...

I've got a fine tipped sharpie (permanent marker) and am not ashamed to say that it's pretty nice.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Slugworth posted:

Bought a house in July with a carpeted bathroom, and I was like, "well, that's obviously the first project". I have in fact done several other projects and keep pushing that one off. Look, I'm not an animal, I'm gonna replace it eventually, but.... it's kind of nice having a soft warm floor for your morning piss.
Same.

Oddly enough, the linoleum-floored second bathroom has a hole in the floor big enough for the (indoor) cat to stick his head through. I've thrown a scrap of plywood over it for now, but what's the long-term fix? Tear it down to the joists and put in tile? lay concrete board over the lino and tile on top of that? It's a drat 20-year-old singlewide trailer, that's a bit more work than I'd like to do.

Comedy option: install a hatch so I can throw grenades down into the crawlspace if the skunks living under the house that the PO had a problem with ever come back.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Delivery McGee posted:

Same.

Oddly enough, the linoleum-floored second bathroom has a hole in the floor big enough for the (indoor) cat to stick his head through. I've thrown a scrap of plywood over it for now, but what's the long-term fix? Tear it down to the joists and put in tile? lay concrete board over the lino and tile on top of that? It's a drat 20-year-old singlewide trailer, that's a bit more work than I'd like to do.

Comedy option: install a hatch so I can throw grenades down into the crawlspace if the skunks living under the house that the PO had a problem with ever come back.

Why is there a hole in your bathroom floor big enough for a cat's head to fit through? Was the toilet moved or something?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

kid sinister posted:

Why is there a hole in your bathroom floor big enough for a cat's head to fit through? Was the toilet moved or something?

That there is whatcha call a poopy hole, real convenient! That's where you drop yer poop!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kid sinister posted:

I don't know, it was a soft spot when we moved in, and got bigger. Something's probably leaking and rotting out the floor. Also the kitty is fairly small, the hole is smaller than a fist.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bozart posted:

That there is whatcha call a poopy hole, real convenient! That's where you drop yer poop!

You mean a squat toilet?

Delivery McGee posted:

I don't know, it was a soft spot when we moved in, and got bigger. Something's probably leaking and rotting out the floor. Also the kitty is fairly small, the hole is smaller than a fist.

You had better figure out what's doing that like, immediately. That could put your whole family in danger, including your kitty.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Zahgaegun posted:

I've got a fine tipped sharpie (permanent marker) and am not ashamed to say that it's pretty nice.

I thought about Sharpie, but worried that the ink would spread into the wood and cause it to look fuzzy

I'm going to try stamping before putting the water based stain on today to see if it will accumulate into the indents, and maybe very carefully avoiding the letters when removing the excess stain

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I too was trying to imagine a world where I would sit on the couch and check the temperature of my ectocooler and crystal pepsi. What sort of luxury features are also available in this fridge? Does it txt me when I'm low on frozen pizzas? Is there an app so I can see inside the fridge and answer the question: "does the light stay on when I close the door?"?

I googled with such high hopes for this fridge of the future. Then I was greeted with the sad beige grill of a window unit.

I'm still waiting for a fridge with a built in barcode scanner that would use the upc to reference expiration dates for a particular product and alert me when things are about to go bad, or suggest recipes based on the current contents of my fridge. The technology is there, we just need a company entrepreneuring enough to put it together.

Bozart posted:

Wood siding, I don't think the trim is effected. Here is a video of me pressing on the softer spots, basically just the lower right corner of each of the slats. The PO didn't have the gutter spout in place when we bought the house, my guess is that caused it. Painted after we bought it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0gS30msomI

Don't mind the crying baby in the distance...

Hard to tell from the video, but I know a lot of vinyl siding has foam backing board (for insulation and to make a smoother surface). Maybe yours is similar and the foam is breaking down underneath? Is the siding itself squishy, or does it just press in easily? Because it could be an issue with the plywood or OSB underneath. Since the exterior looks like it's in good shape and you've already fixed the gutter issue, only thing I can say is to slip a small pry bar underneath one of the small affected siding pieces and start working it loose, adding in a second, bigger pry bar once you've opened it up a little. See what's going on underneath.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm still waiting for a fridge with a built in barcode scanner that would use the upc to reference expiration dates for a particular product and alert me when things are about to go bad, or suggest recipes based on the current contents of my fridge. The technology is there, we just need a company entrepreneuring enough to put it together.

You might be just goofing, but there is an iOS app that pretty much does that. You have to enter the expiration dates yourself when you check in an item because there's no expiration date tied to the UPC, but it's a pretty handy way to know if you have to pick something up on the way home. The trick is remembering to reduce the quantity when you use something. Also come up with a naming scheme so the first time you scan something you can give it a consistent name and category that makes sense to you. The built-in database is all over the place, two cans of notionally the same product from a different company might come up as 'beans' in the 'other' category and the other as 'Squid Valley Farms premier select finest beans' in the 'canned' category, not helpful if you're out of one but have six cans of the other and you miss it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Bozart posted:

Well, there was that goon in an old bachelor thread that admitted he pissed into a small knot hole in his floor into the crawlspace (I guess he had no subfloor?) and then was amused that he might be pissing on his dog who sometimes got into the crawlspace.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

hogmartin posted:

You might be just goofing, but there is an iOS app that pretty much does that. You have to enter the expiration dates yourself when you check in an item because there's no expiration date tied to the UPC, but it's a pretty handy way to know if you have to pick something up on the way home. The trick is remembering to reduce the quantity when you use something. Also come up with a naming scheme so the first time you scan something you can give it a consistent name and category that makes sense to you. The built-in database is all over the place, two cans of notionally the same product from a different company might come up as 'beans' in the 'other' category and the other as 'Squid Valley Farms premier select finest beans' in the 'canned' category, not helpful if you're out of one but have six cans of the other and you miss it.

This sounds like an absolute nightmare. Why would you do this to yourself.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I had an app like this without the DB problems. It seemed like a good idea, until I realized I would have to do inventory in my own home. I had a retail flashback and now we just add something to the grocery list when we run out, like sane people.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Measure really wanting chili verde but you're already home or buying two cans of olives when you already have six against the alternative. People have kept similar inventories in MSAccess or whatever for decades. I don't judge either way. It's new and barcode scanny and flashy but people have kept hilighter-lined spreadsheets in their pockets forever.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 17, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I think things will get there eventually, once enough data is collected on tying expected expiration dates to UPCs, and someone finds a good way to automatically track food coming in/out, maybe with rfid tags or something. There's just so many variables in diet and use, it's difficult to track everything right now, but we're in the infancy of all this applied data anyways.

It's like a lot of smart home stuff, the tech is there, just not a very streamlined and simplified end user experience that's substantially better than what people can do without it

I'd betcha we'd start with commercial tracking systems for retailers and go from there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What would probably happen is (since technology seems to be going this way anyway), pay for your groceries using your smartphone, which keeps an itemized receipt of what you bought. It could be as basic (2 boxes of cookies) to as granular (one 14oz package Oreo Double Stuff, one 16oz package Keebler Fudge Stripes) as you want.

Smart phone talks to your smart fridge and presumably smart pantry. Probably need weight sensors for things like coffee, cereal, milk...set a specific threshold for when to be reminded to get more. Drop below 2 servings of coffee and it gets added to your list.

It could be possible to build a working mock up using current technology. But I think it would be too expensive to be practical at this stage. Give it a decade or two though and it could be possible.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
RFID is the only way to do kitchen pantry inventory automation with any sort of hope for sanity.

We're replacing the back door, and one option we've been given is to have an internal shade in the double-pane window it will have. Is that a dumb idea? I realize it is not a serviceable item in what is otherwise a permanent feature of the house. We're waiting to hear back on warranty, but the local door store quoted us ~487 for a pre-hung fiberglass door w/ double pane window and internal blind. This one will seal all the way around, hopefully not swell shut in the summer, and not have a dog door cut into it. Is fiberglass a dumb idea? (+$60 in trim + $??? install.)

On the 400 lbs of concrete front I guess my dad just had 75 yards poured to make a driveway. I hope he put in anchors for his motorcycle collection. :ohdear:

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Moving along in my quest to attach cleats to my garage and shed walls, I did a sort of test with scrap wood and a store-bought hook, and things look ok hanging a 50-pound bucket of rocks on the shed wall. It's long but I wanted to span 2 cleats and get the weight low for the test.

Now I'm left with a few design questions. In the garage this is going over textured 5/8" Sheetrock. I drew a quick lovely diagram showing what I think I'm going to get for screw penetration into the studs with #10 screws at 3-1/8" and 4" screw lengths. This doesn't take into account the textured surface, which might be up to a quarter inch.

Sort of looks like the 4" screws would be better? If I wanted to be safer I could get #12 5-5/8" long ones...

The other question is whether I put 1/4" thick, 1-1/2" wide plywood strips on the wall over the stud locations as shown, to stand the cleats off the texture slightly.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The pullout strength of a #10 screw penetrating 1 1/2" into a pine stud is somewhere in the ballpark of 250 lbs. The 3-1/8" screws are an appropriate size. This poo poo isn't cardboard and the stuff you want to hang isn't very heavy.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Does anyone have experience with A588/A606-4 weathering steel, a/k/a "Cor-Ten," in landscaping applications? My wife and I want to use to to edge our backyard path and planting spaces but I can't figure out how to actually buy the stuff.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Apollodorus posted:

Does anyone have experience with A588/A606-4 weathering steel, a/k/a "Cor-Ten," in landscaping applications? My wife and I want to use to to edge our backyard path and planting spaces but I can't figure out how to actually buy the stuff.

I asked my power transmission line engineer friend, and he doesn't know where someone would buy it in reasonable quantities for your application. If I were you, I'd contact these people: http://www.corten.com/corten-flat-bar-ASTM-A588.html

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to remember how to hell to hook up this part of the motor winding to the brushes in my KitchenAid mixer:

This is the mixer's housing. The motor brush for this side is slid in from the far side. Somehow, stuff attaches to that bit of metal making up the brush case, and I can't remember how.

This is the winding housing. Those flanges in the foreground are what connect to the brushes--one per side. They aren't bent out of shape; they have a specific contour that was hard to photograph.

Here's what it looks like when I slide it in, ready for... whatever. It's minus the rotor, of course:

Somehow, that black wire's gotta hook up there. I can't remember how to do it. It's been a month since I took that apart, and I didn't get a picture of it. Kitchenaid diagrams don't give any details on that part in particular either. Normally, one just handles rotor and such when dealing with the motor, but I had to completely disassemble mine because this lovely grease I was using got into the motor housing. I had to clean everything. Grease had dried on to the brushes and impeded the top speed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I want to make a continuous source of steam to do some steam bending for a woodworking project. I bought a small, cheap plug-in electric heating element to use as a heat source. Unfortunately, it periodically shuts itself off, interrupting the supply of steam and rendering the whole process moot. I assume that it has a temperature switch or something that is toggling off the heating element. Is this something I can safely bypass? If so, how? Failing that, any suggestions for other ways to get a reliable source of steam? I'd prefer an all-electric (i.e. no burning gas) approach because I feel it'd be safer for indoor use.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Failing that, any suggestions for other ways to get a reliable source of steam? I'd prefer an all-electric (i.e. no burning gas) approach because I feel it'd be safer for indoor use.

Wallpaper steamer. Expect your house to get humid as gently caress.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Wallpaper steamer. Expect your house to get humid as gently caress.

Why do you think I built a workshop with four openable windows and a gigantic-rear end door? :v: I was kind of hoping for a solution that wouldn't cost another $40+ though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I want to make a continuous source of steam to do some steam bending for a woodworking project. I bought a small, cheap plug-in electric heating element to use as a heat source. Unfortunately, it periodically shuts itself off, interrupting the supply of steam and rendering the whole process moot. I assume that it has a temperature switch or something that is toggling off the heating element. Is this something I can safely bypass? If so, how? Failing that, any suggestions for other ways to get a reliable source of steam? I'd prefer an all-electric (i.e. no burning gas) approach because I feel it'd be safer for indoor use.

Post the element, there may be a built in cut off you can disable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

Post the element, there may be a built in cut off you can disable.

It's this thing. I opened the case and took a few photos:

That's the "I'm currently active, don''t touch the coil you dumbass" light on the left, and the temperature knob on the right. I'm guessing the way to do this would be to basically cut out the temperature knob, so that if the element is plugged in, it's always conducting at maximum?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300W-220V-Hot-Portable-Electric-Element-Water-Heater-Immersion-Rod-Heater-/291644400677

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w Or one that isn't just putting two bare wires into water.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Yes, okay, I see my specifications were insufficient. I would also like a solution that does not have a high risk of killing me via electric shock...or any other method!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
It won't kill you if you don't stick your hand in the water, or touch anything conductive that's also in the water. I don't see what the big deal is.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Yes, okay, I see my specifications were insufficient. I would also like a solution that does not have a high risk of killing me via electric shock...or any other method!

They do make those sorts of immersion heaters where there is an actual heating element inside and doesn't just pour electricity into water. I had to scroll past them to find that one. If $40 is too much, $5 sounds just right. Or hit up craigslist for people like me who thought putting a steamer on my wedding registry was a great idea, used it once, and it now rots in my garage.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

Or hit up craigslist for people like me who thought putting a steamer on my wedding registry was a great idea, used it once, and it now rots in my garage.

Exactly. Wallpaper steamers are one of those "one time use only" items. Seconding hit up Craigslist.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kid sinister posted:

You had better figure out what's doing that like, immediately. That could put your whole family in danger, including your kitty.

Last place we lived in, the toilet was listing 30 degrees to port like a dying battleship, somehow hadn't fallen through the floor yet, a lil' hole in the floor is a minor problem by my standards, but it jumped ahead of "tearing the carpet out of the master bath" on the to-do list.

Also how exactly does this put the whole family (including cat) at risk? It's not like it's a gas leak.

(Also the family consists of me, my partner, the cat, and two birds who mostly live in cages in the living room. There's no potential for a Baby Jessica scenario here.)

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Delivery McGee posted:

Last place we lived in, the toilet was listing 30 degrees to port like a dying battleship, somehow hadn't fallen through the floor yet, a lil' hole in the floor is a minor problem by my standards, but it jumped ahead of "tearing the carpet out of the master bath" on the to-do list.

Also how exactly does this put the whole family (including cat) at risk? It's not like it's a gas leak.

(Also the family consists of me, my partner, the cat, and two birds who mostly live in cages in the living room. There's no potential for a Baby Jessica scenario here.)

You apparently don't mind your entire home falling on your family while you all are sleeping. I'll put it this way: you are the previous owner that subsequent owners dread.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Delivery McGee posted:

Because your child is going to put their foot through a part of the floor that doesn't currently show signs of rot and crack their head open on one of the several hard surfaces bathrooms contain. Literally your home is rotting away beneath your feet.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

kid sinister posted:

You apparently don't mind your entire home falling on your family while you all are sleeping. I'll put it this way: you are the previous owner that subsequent owners dread.

I'm going to fix it eventually, just asking how long I have to save up for a proper fix. I've been there and done that on all counts, this one I'm going to fix because I own it.

H110Hawk posted:

Because your child is going to put their foot through a part of the floor that doesn't currently show signs of rot and crack their head open on one of the several hard surfaces bathrooms contain.
I don't and will never have a child, and if I did, that sort of thing just builds character. At least kid sinister is reading what they're replying to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Delivery McGee posted:

I don't and will never have a child, and if I did, that sort of thing just builds character. At least kid sinister is reading what they're replying to.

At least H110Hawk gives a poo poo about the rest of humanity. The world has enough shitheads. Stop being one and fix your bathroom floor.