Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Were those guys SAA or ISIS or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't get the complacency posts. What could they have done not bunched up I guess?

But yeah gently caress that's a lot of dudes getting smoked :stonk:

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I don't get the complacency posts. What could they have done not bunched up I guess?

But yeah gently caress that's a lot of dudes getting smoked :stonk:

Its probably because after the first one hit, the remaining ones didn't just stay there, but gathered into a group to discuss what just happened. You know, instead of getting the gently caress out of the line of fire incase a second one was inbound. Which it was.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ghetto wormhole posted:

Were those guys SAA or ISIS or what?

prolly saa seeing how they were all wearing some form of bdu or another

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
lol when an explosion happens in the middle of your circlejerk

from an ATGM no less, so it's not impossible to imagine they could have seen/heard the launch

but gently caress it, lightning never strikes twice in the same place. Now deal me a new hand, Abu Hajar

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

lol when an explosion happens in the middle of your circlejerk

from an ATGM no less, so it's not impossible to imagine they could have seen/heard the launch

but gently caress it, lightning never strikes twice in the same place. Now deal me a new hand, Abu Hajar

Inshallah :shrug:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i get that it can be confusing when something blows up near you, but im not too sure the correct course of action is to stand up and gather in a school circle to discuss what to do next. assad needs some better ttps for his boys is what im saying

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i get that it can be confusing when something blows up near you, but im not too sure the correct course of action is to stand up and gather in a school circle to discuss what to do next. assad needs some better ttps for his boys is what im saying

No Abu Hajar, the battle drill for reacting to fire, not the battle drill for all NCOs have left for the day!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Genocide Tendency posted:

Its probably because after the first one hit, the remaining ones didn't just stay there, but gathered into a group to discuss what just happened. You know, instead of getting the gently caress out of the line of fire incase a second one was inbound. Which it was.

Oh, right. Whoops

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

i get that it can be confusing when something blows up near you, but im not too sure the correct course of action is to stand up and gather in a school circle to discuss what to do next.

Pretty sure that is the Air Force SOP.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Oh, right. Whoops

No prob. Took me a second when I watched it to figure out what was going on too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

These are the guys who love to send tanks into dense urban areas without infantry support.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That went from complacent to negligent real fast.

That's not the worst of it, the same poo poo happened at the same spot on multiple days

https://twitter.com/GissiSim/status/766881346367041536

[edit] Original videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGm9TZ13jRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7aaiEFG2E8

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 20, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It seems weird to use a TOW to snipe two guys and then when a huge group rolls up with a vehicle to drag them away you just watch and provide commentary.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
that war is gonna drag on for another 10 years huh

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Mike-o posted:

Inshallah :shrug:

More like inshalllahahahahwiiiiipeout

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I don't get the complacency posts.
Usually it's a good idea to not bunch up when HE threats are present.

Once you've eaten a first hit it's also a good idea to relocate, and stay not-bunched-up.

aphid_licker posted:

It seems weird to use a TOW to snipe two guys and then when a huge group rolls up with a vehicle to drag them away you just watch and provide commentary.
Saoudis were late for resupply!

But yeah sniping dismounts with a shaped charge missile is dumb as hell. Do they not own mortars?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 20, 2016

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Drones have become increasingly widely used by Syrian rebel groups to film their activities, here we see mortars targeting pro-government forces, possibly with the drones being used to help adjust the aiming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9TpPfEUYLc

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Brown Moses posted:

Drones have become increasingly widely used by Syrian rebel groups to film their activities, here we see mortars targeting pro-government forces, possibly with the drones being used to help adjust the aiming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9TpPfEUYLc

Motherfucker I was just about to post this. JFS has some rocking nasheeds these days.

prolly saa seeing how they were all wearing some form of bdu or another

Yeah, the Fagot videos and Brown Moses's mortar vid are various rebel groups targeting SAA and SAA-aligned militias near Aleppo.

e: hold on a minute, that hosed-up bus looks familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAkNCM6RxI8&t=14s

double edit: I found it.

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=36.168836&lon=37.111706&z=19&m=b

Cabbage Disrespect fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 20, 2016

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

At this point Syria is a classic example of Life Imitates Art

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Very nice spot, it shows they used footage from that Fagot hit in the mortar video for whatever reason, I guess it's because it's two different groups.

You can figure out quite a lot of stuff from piecing these videos together. After the Sarin attacks on August 21st 2013 in Damascus I used videos from ANNA News and rebel groups to figure out the progress of government forces in the area and the position of their checkpoints on August 21st, showing the rockets used were within range to be launched from government positions. Took ages, but it became a lot easier when I marked every mosque dome and minaret on a map with photos for each, so when I had a video with two domes or minarets in it I could review those photos and quickly figure out the position of the camera.

[edit] From the D&D thread a video explaining the same battle

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 20, 2016

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Zeris posted:

Please there's only one that truly encapsulates Syria

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
They're firing HEAT missiles right? How effective are those against soft targets? I imagine the few people in the direct blast area are dead, but its not as effective as say, a thermobaric or HE warhead right?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Zeris posted:

gwtbw was so good

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Saint Celestine posted:

They're firing HEAT missiles right? How effective are those against soft targets? I imagine the few people in the direct blast area are dead, but its not as effective as say, a thermobaric or HE warhead right?

it's relatively easy to add a frag sleeve to a HEAT warhead to get good fragmentation effects, which is really all you need against troops in the open. I'd imagine that is the majority of what's being supplied

VikingSkull posted:

gwtbw was so good

I'm going back and re-reading it now just because

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

iyaayas01 posted:

it's relatively easy to add a frag sleeve to a HEAT warhead to get good fragmentation effects, which is really all you need against troops in the open. I'd imagine that is the majority of what's being supplied

I doubt it. In a lot of the videos you see people who were right next to the blast get back up and start running, or they don't even fall to begin with.

Saint Celestine posted:

With a HEAT charge that small, generally anyone not close enough to touch the victim who's hit directly will at least survive any injuries. The reason HEAT sucks against grouped targets like that is that the explosive charge is directed in a very specific path, to let it penetrate armor. When a HEAT round hits the ground or wall next to someone, there's not a whole lot of blast or fragments going outward from the impact zone. Most of the time in these videos you see the missile directly hit an individual soldier, which is a little better because it's effectively an airburst but you're still probably fine if you're standing next to them and not behind them.

HEAT against infantry is better if they're in a building and you're shooting the outside wall, as you'll blow fragments inward into the room where they're hiding.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

chitoryu12 posted:

I doubt it. In a lot of the videos you see people who were right next to the blast get back up and start running, or they don't even fall to begin with.

welp based on my quick googling I don't think anyone has ever made a frag sleeve version of the TOW or Milan so ignore that point I guess

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Hi. I'd like to not stand next to a HEAT round when it detonates.

No one gives a gently caress about your stats when most of have lost our limbs.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
lol why would anyone but the syrians use a tow round against people as standard practice? you can only carry like...5 in a hmmwv and 12 on a brad.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

lol why would anyone but the syrians use a tow round against people as standard practice? you can only carry like...5 in a hmmwv and 12 on a brad.

My company did that in Afghanistan the deployment before I got there. Apparently they'd shoot TOWs at dudes digging for IEDs and it was pretty effective

vains
May 26, 2004

javs too but neither warrant developing special heat-frag rounds to snipe dudes in a big war.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

For every nail there is a hammer.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

javs too but neither warrant developing special heat-frag rounds to snipe dudes in a big war.

putting a frag sleeve around a HEAT round is really pretty simple, we've done it on Hellfires for years...the K models that had it first fielded in the '90s. I just figured someone along the way would've done it to other missiles as well

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Here's the thing..... you see a group of enemy in the open, and they are not, uh, alert. You have some small arms that you're too far away to use, maybe some heavier caliber stuff that you *might* be accurate enough with to rake them some.

You also have an ATGM that's super accurate, and really no upper chain of command to mention.

What are you using?

e- wildcard, you also know your enemy is at least as dumb as you are

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 21, 2016

vains
May 26, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

Here's the thing..... you see a group of enemy in the open, and they are not, uh, alert. You have some small arms that you're too far away to use, maybe some heavier caliber stuff that you *might* be accurate enough with to rake them some.

You also have an ATGM that's super accurate, and really no upper chain of command to mention.

What are you using?

e- wildcard, you also know your enemy is at least as dumb as you are

hey thanks for breaking it down for us

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm also pretty sure that the building they're firing the missiles from is pretty drat far from that wall. Those missiles usually fly around 200 meters per second. Just seeing the missile on video flying at a constant speed for about 5 seconds, I'd guess those guys are as far as 1 kilometer away from everyone. The ATGM is probably the only thing they have available that can reach out and touch from that distance without missing half of every shot.

That also probably helps explain why the Syrians haven't yet clued in: they just keep having an explosion happen right there and nobody sees the missile coming in, so they haven't figured out what's getting fired at them or where from yet.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
thats not very honorable. loving noob toobers

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

hey thanks for breaking it down for us

glad i could help

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Even without HE filler, wouldn't the pressure wave gently caress up everyone in the area real good? Not as much as an enclosed space, but I imagine most of those ear drums are burst or worse

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
You can point out how a more optimal weapon exists all day. But ultimately getting a missile or two shot into your platoon blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mlmp08 posted:

You can point out how a more optimal weapon exists all day. But ultimately getting a missile or two shot into your platoon blows.

Speaking of napalm...