Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Confession time: I've actually always enjoyed the Hoenn region's design, and find the water routes near the end fun. Diving feels like exploring for secrets, and it's a great place to level up and evolve weaker mons by putting an overpowered grass type, and overpowered electric type, and go to town. Then again, I like sliding tile puzzles, and I understand how that could be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Raserys posted:

if you're looking for an all-around tight game and good variety of selection: b2/w2

I've gotta agree with this. W2 has been one of my favorite games in the series to play. I like some of the stuff from the newest gen, but those were definitely a good pair of games.

Also, since it appears the "competitive" thread is archived, any of you guys play LC frequently?

Fureil fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 21, 2016

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Raserys posted:

look at this weak poo poo, we've probably passed the point of no return wrt these games being baby tier easy but come on, surely you could have at least filled out his movesets

Confession Time:
Lysandre beat me in my most recent game of Y.
Mainly because my team at the time was 4 Pokes who would get 1-shot by Miensho/Hi Jump Kick and the 5th was Dedene. (I did not have a 6th at the time).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I play a decent amount of LC

Catalina
May 20, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Confession: as a kid I stopped playing Pokémon after ruby. Are Gen 4 and 5 worth it and do they run on a 3ds? If I only played once of them before sun and moon, which one?

Yes and yes. Though when you see how the prices have been driven up by Pokemon Go, you might decide to hold off. Many are at low stock with Platinum is $119, and SoulSilver $319, Heartgold $99 :stonk:

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
haha the World's stream died right in the middle of the second semifinal match

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah I play a decent amount of LC

Cool. I enjoy breeding pokemon for competitive modes for some of my friends, but I don't really enjoy any of the normal tiers. Any really popular LC contenders you can think of that I could start working on breeding up for people?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

there were that many members of team flare?

There's like 7 named ones if you count the Elite Four member.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Meinfoo, Pawniard, Abra, whatever baby Gurrdurr is. (timber?)

Fletchling, Porygon, Ferroseed, Snivy, Shelder

Those are all top tier LC contenders

Edit: I'd say that Meinfoo is like half a step above Pawniard who is half a step above the rest of those.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

Meinfoo, Pawniard, Abra, whatever baby Gurrdurr is. (timber?)

Fletchling, Porygon, Ferroseed, Snivy, Shelder

Those are all top tier LC contenders

Edit: I'd say that Meinfoo is like half a step above Pawniard who is half a step above the rest of those.

Coolio. Appreciate the info! I'll start looking into sets and such and see if I can't whip up a few batches of dudes to give out on the trade thread.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Actually just check out the smogon viability thread, they spend way more time on LC than me haha http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lc-viability-rankings.3496013/

Oh, and do you already have a 6iv ditto?

Most people don't bother with little cup unless someone gives them a full team honestly, which is sad. It's fun.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

Actually just check out the smogon viability thread, they spend way more time on LC than me haha http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lc-viability-rankings.3496013/

Most people don't bother with little cup unless someone gives them a full team honestly, which is sad. It's fun.

I got one via wondertrade, some foreign shiny 6iv one but I only ever really use it if I'm trying to MM something. I've got 7 fathers that I spent a few months working on till I got all of them to be 6iv thereby giving me a 6iv father for every egg group. Makes it so much easier to start projects and was worth the time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dexie posted:

At least they're trying though, you know?

Flare does, like...nothing.

I loving hate flare because they ruined GRAMPS

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

sharrrk posted:

team flare sucks but mable is my girlfriend

same but

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Team Flare's goal makes sense if you view them as ultra selfish assholes that read too much Atlas Shrugged. Wipe out most of the world's population so that only the best and brightest will be left, preventing its natural beauty from being tarnished by over-consumption.

But they tried to paint Lysandre as not being a total rear end in a top hat so it doesn't work.

Raserys posted:

i miss admins

Team Flare had admins.

EDIT: Galactic is the only team I remember barely anything about so they're probably the worst, which would make sense given they are in the worst gen.

VVV Yes, everyone in Team Flare is a rich idiot that got roped in by Lysandre. By paying 5 mil pokebucks you get a slick suit and the privilege of living in Lysdanre's Gulch once he builds it.

I'm not sure how many of them knew he was gonna kill 99% of the world in the process.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 21, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Team Flare's goal makes sense if you view them as ultra selfish assholes that read too much Atlas Shrugged. Wipe out most of the world's population so that only the best and brightest will be left, preventing its natural beauty from being tarnished by over-consumption.

But they tried to paint Lysandre as not being a total rear end in a top hat so it doesn't work.

Team Flare had admins.

EDIT: Galactic is the only team I remember barely anything about so they're probably the worst, which would make sense given they are in the worst gen.

I think one of the Flare grunts complains about having had to pay a ton of money to get in so being easily bilked idiot libertarians makes sense.

Also Platinum is excellent even if it has some weird technical issues.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

GreyPowerVan posted:

LC owns because you can legit run almost anything in that tier, the base stats are so similar to one another that its not like choosing simisear over infernape or something. also the LC playerbase is straight trash i went 4-1 in LC premier league and legit dont know anything about the metagame and the guys who drafted me got mad cuz i used "joke" teams over and over but they were good and powerful.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Stopped when I got to togekiss so all the haters can see it.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Togekiss is a fat beakless pigeon. I hope its Alolan counterpart is just a beak.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I also just realized I don't have any gen 3 Pokemon in there, although I think gen 2 and 3 are the only ones that don't have any outright bad designs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV Yes, everyone in Team Flare is a rich idiot that got roped in by Lysandre. By paying 5 mil pokebucks you get a slick suit and the privilege of living in Lysdanre's Gulch once he builds it.

I'm not sure how many of them knew he was gonna kill 99% of the world in the process.

Team Galactic is basically a cult that's masquerading as a company that will totally change the world. It's a bunch of stupid people thinking they're doing something important but actually just blindly listening to the orders of someone who's obviously manipulating them. It's great.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Europe and Australia (all PAL regions?) can get a Meowth that knows Happy Hour with the distribution code "HAPPY". It's OT is Happy, but it apparently confirms some leak about Alola stuff?

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 21, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Internet Kraken posted:

But Galactic was in Gen IV, not Gen II?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Team Rocket is the mafia.
Team Aqua/Magma are ecoterrorists.
Team Galactic is a cult.
Team Plasma are a paramilitary coup.
Team Flare are Objectivists.
Team Skull are a street gang.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Captain Fargle posted:

Team Galactic is a cult.
[/

[quote="Captain Fargle" post="463410325"]
Team Galactic is a cult.

Which team is born out of the power vacuum left after Lt. surge's failed war for pokeberries

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Problem with ORAS is you just have too many HMs and so have to relegate 1 spot for the usual cut/strength/rocksmash/ and another for surf/dive/waterfall.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Captain Fargle posted:

Team Galactic is a cult.

Plasma is pretty cultish to me. They worship their puppet leader as a king and follow a group of sages as well. They only get militaristic after the original plan fails and the true believers leave.

Internet Kraken posted:

Team Flare had admins.

I have no idea why they ever tried to make someone murdering everyone poor for no reason at all sympathetic. If there had been a Z, I assume they might have tried something more, but succeeding in salvaging Team Flare is an uphill battle at best.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 21, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Geokinesis posted:

Problem with ORAS is you just have too many HMs and so have to relegate 1 spot for the usual cut/strength/rocksmash/ and another for surf/dive/waterfall.

Allow me to introduce you to my two friends Bidoof and Bidoof

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

greatn posted:

Allow me to introduce you to my two friends Bidoof and Bidoof

I used Sharpedo and Skarmory I'm pretty sure, they were good friends

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

pik_d posted:

I used Sharpedo and Skarmory I'm pretty sure, they were good friends

They're too cool to be reduced to HM Slaves

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

greatn posted:

I wasn't using them otherwise, so no. I think that Sharpedo ended up being my highest level guy, because up until I got waterfall he still had a dark attack

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

greatn posted:

Skarmory is the coolest HM slave because you can also have him tank hits and heal up your guys otherwise

But lately I've taken to spreading my HMs out among my team. The games are easy enough that one or two wasted moveslots per pokemon won't break your changes of winning

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Skarmory is the coolest HM slave because you can also have him tank hits and heal up your guys otherwise

But lately I've taken to spreading my HMs out among my team. The games are easy enough that one or two wasted moveslots per pokemon won't break your changes of winning

I don't do this because it means I can't swap out guys without having the same HM on multiple guys

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just can't wait for the day Cut isn't a vital HM

Like honestly all 10 year old kids heading out for adventure should carry with them a machete, a flashlight, scuba gear and pump enough iron to be able to lift at least 700 pounds easily

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Part of the problem with spreading HMs across your team is that Waterfall has a terrible distribution. They're almost all Water types, barring the Dragonite line and non-Water types that evolve from Water types, such as Dragalge. So if you don't want a Pokemon to have half their slots taken up by HMs, you need either multiple Water types or find one of the non-Water types that learns Surf.

pik_d posted:

I don't do this because it means I can't swap out guys without having the same HM on multiple guys

I've run into this problem with my X run. I have two pokemon that can learn Fly, for example, but I don't want to burden Hawlucha with it.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I long for the day when the overworld effects of HMs are eventually obtainable through the use of key items like they were planned to be in the code for R/B/Y.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

I just can't wait for the day Cut isn't a vital HM

Like honestly all 10 year old kids heading out for adventure should carry with them a machete, a flashlight, scuba gear and pump enough iron to be able to lift at least 700 pounds easily

It looks like Sun/Moon might actually grant your wish.

B/W and X/Y have mostly eroded mandatory HM use anyways. There was one mandatory spot in B/W (surfing onto victory road) and I'm pretty sure only Surf is required in X/Y with all other stuff locking off optional areas.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zore posted:

It looks like Sun/Moon might actually grant your wish.

B/W and X/Y have mostly eroded mandatory HM use anyways. There was one mandatory spot in B/W (surfing onto victory road) and I'm pretty sure only Surf is required in X/Y with all other stuff locking off optional areas.

But Surf is the best water move and actually preferable over stuff like Hydro Pump and the like no?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

But Surf is the best water move and actually preferable over stuff like Hydro Pump and the like no?

Yeah, surf's a good move (though Scald is slightly preferred over it in online now)

Similarly, Waterfall is the gold standard for physical water moves because most of them have gently caress awful distribution or are only 90% accurate for no reason (aqua tail :argh:). Although ita hosed up even Waterfall is so limited, like Kingler can't even learn it which is just :psyduck:

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Since Team Skull is probably going to be involved with the Legendary I hope it's unintentional. Like I want the reason you have deal with the bat/lion is because they vandalize a sacred monument or something and then they try to fight it.