Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Or you are in Asia and just break the door open and fall/jump down the shaft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Or you are in Asia and they decide to turn everything off and go for a long holiday while you are still inside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

Or you are in Asia and they decide to turn everything off and go for a long holiday while you are still inside.

If this happens, you should probably try to leave through something other than the door.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

If this happens, you should probably try to leave through something other than the door.

If you're talking about access hatches, those things are typically bolted shut from the outside. For safety.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
that is how you die. we literally just now established this.

lol jk just be smart and don't get into elevators in asia

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001

du -hast posted:

This is either Dhaka or Detroit

It's Brazil.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elsa posted:

that is how you die. we literally just now established this.

lol jk just be smart and don't get into elevators in asia

Don't go to Asia the PRC.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BattleMaster posted:

I took a class on risk analysis and I chose elevators because I used to be afraid of them (and in buildings that are tall enough to feel how long the cables are, still am) and learned that most of the people who die because of elevators die by falling into the shaft, either while it is under construction or because they are rescuing someone and gently caress up or try to escape and gently caress up. It seems like if you manage to get into the elevator car you're pretty safe as long as you only try to leave through the door.

Due to some messed up poo poo when she was a kid my mom is severely claustrophobic, including not riding in elevators. In her 20s she was seeing a psychiatrist and his idea was to get two big grocery bags (paper grocery bags back then) with tall stuff like celery on top so she can't see over the bags, then just step onto the elevator without looking and concentrate on counting the celery leaves. So she does it, she has this forest of celery blocking her view, the elevator doors open, but she just can't stop herself from taking a peek: the elevator car wasn't there. For whatever reason the doors opened by mistake. That's when she decided to just live with her fear of elevators and take the stairs.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Mozi posted:

i think we're going to have to keep sending kids through just to make sure we really understand what happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zCgAkAP1Ec

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
if they make a clear waterslide loop we can have videos of kids getting suplexed all day. You could make the water park free and still profit from the youtube hits.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Some may have already seen this, but it's worth posting again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZHpeBubb_M&t=47s

Lmao at the timeline of events. Okay so we started investigating the incident. Incident #2 happened during the investigation but we've got a report for what the hell happened.

Days after the report, here comes #3.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Sign says: "Beware of nerve gas"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just plain old electricity.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't get it, did they manage to completely avoid noticing the very prominent power lines?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

PittTheElder posted:

Have the video of the guy getting sucked into a jet engine been posted here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FsrNEeqd6Q

His hardhat is what creates all the flames shooting out of the backend. How he didn't follow it I have no idea.

Not gonna post the picture of the guy getting pulled into the 737 engine, because holy gently caress.
I fuel 737s and thanks for the nightmares. Jesus christ that takes getting degloved into a whole new level.

The indicator lights on 737s are the same orange-yellow hew as basically every standard always-on running light, and the indicator lights blink real slow. Even brand new EMBs use the same indicator lights and it baffles me because the warning lights require so much specific attention to actually notice. How many planes do I drive behind in a day? A loving lot, I cannot be careful enough. I've seen dudes get hit by full-on jet blast but never someone unwittingly get in front of the engines in the same circumstances. Not so nice to see the horrifying results of that. :ohdear:

The APU on jets is very, very loud and creates a visible heatwave just the same as a running engine. Yet I go under the wing with APUs running during nomral fueling procedures all the time. So what you might think would be the 'obvious' sign to watch out for isn't really obvious at all. Not a day goes by where a wingman doesn't wave me forward when the indicator lights of a plane are still on and I just loving sit there while they get frustrated and gesture more frantically before shrugging and turning their back. Not happening man.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SynthOrange posted:

Lmao at the timeline of events. Okay so we started investigating the incident. Incident #2 happened during the investigation but we've got a report for what the hell happened.

Days after the report, here comes #3.

At what point do you, as a worker, say 'gently caress this' and start calling in sick?

poo poo like this is worse because it's well known that dust causes explosions. At the very least, you'd think they'd say 'hmm, this factory full of sugar blew up three years ago, perhaps we ought to look into our site?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7mLSG-Yws

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of planes, KLM ground workers at Schiphol Airport wanted to go on strike because they feel they are underpaid etc etc.

Strikes are a legally protected way of protest in this country, except when one causes a large disruption of society or security. So a judge said that in this case a strike at Schiphol isn't allowed until the end of the tourist season.

The employees/union have now decided instead to follow the regulations to the letter. They'll keep strictly to the maximum speed for driving luggage to the planes. They won't lift heavy pieces of luggage by themselves, but make sure there's the officially required second person around.

Because of this, loading a plane takes like twice as long as usual, causing quite a few delays for travellers.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

BattleMaster posted:

I don't get it, did they manage to completely avoid noticing the very prominent power lines?

My understanding is that fatal accidents involving lifting/moving objects coming into contact with overhead power lines is a pretty common way to get killed. Common overhead voltages (at that sort of height) can range from 2400V to 14000V and you really don't want to get shocked by that.

Motivations include planning your route and movements ahead of time, using non-conductive ropes as guides instead of touching equipment, and coordinating equipment moves with a spotter.

One other factoid: at voltages >600V electricity can basically "blow through" the layer of dead skin cells that typically provides a fairly high (kiloohms when dry) amount of resistance. So that makes shocks at higher voltages inherently much more dangerous besides just ohms law causing an increase in current alone.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Often called a 'work to rule' strike.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hm, I googled the guy getting sucked into the 737 engine and man thats crazy. Basically just red splotches left

pr0spector88
Aug 18, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
didnt u rob a small azn kid for weed and money @ knife point and beat another almost to death with a metal pipe LOL

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sanctum posted:

I fuel 737s and thanks for the nightmares. Jesus christ that takes getting degloved into a whole new level.

The indicator lights on 737s are the same orange-yellow hew as basically every standard always-on running light, and the indicator lights blink real slow. Even brand new EMBs use the same indicator lights and it baffles me because the warning lights require so much specific attention to actually notice. How many planes do I drive behind in a day? A loving lot, I cannot be careful enough. I've seen dudes get hit by full-on jet blast but never someone unwittingly get in front of the engines in the same circumstances. Not so nice to see the horrifying results of that. :ohdear:

The APU on jets is very, very loud and creates a visible heatwave just the same as a running engine. Yet I go under the wing with APUs running during nomral fueling procedures all the time. So what you might think would be the 'obvious' sign to watch out for isn't really obvious at all. Not a day goes by where a wingman doesn't wave me forward when the indicator lights of a plane are still on and I just loving sit there while they get frustrated and gesture more frantically before shrugging and turning their back. Not happening man.

If anyone unfamiliar ever finds themselves on an active ramp, the rule is nav lights (the red/green/white lights on the wing tips and tail,) mean the aircraft has power, and the APU might be running. The red rotating beacon (one on top, and one underneath the fuselage, generally. Newer aircraft have LED beacons that flash, but don't rotate,) means the aircraft has a running engine, or is about to start an engine, or is about to be moved by a tug.

Beacons mean PAY ATTENTION.

Strobes on the ramp means someone is doing a walk around or forgot to turn them off. :v:

Also, good on you for ignoring wing walkers. I'll take direction from the guy at the tug, plugged in and talking to the flight deck, but the wing walkers don't know poo poo.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

pr0spector88 posted:

didnt u rob a small azn kid for weed and money @ knife point and beat another almost to death with a metal pipe LOL

cool post

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Three-Phase posted:

My understanding is that fatal accidents involving lifting/moving objects coming into contact with overhead power lines is a pretty common way to get killed. Common overhead voltages (at that sort of height) can range from 2400V to 14000V and you really don't want to get shocked by that.

Motivations include planning your route and movements ahead of time, using non-conductive ropes as guides instead of touching equipment, and coordinating equipment moves with a spotter.

One other factoid: at voltages >600V electricity can basically "blow through" the layer of dead skin cells that typically provides a fairly high (kiloohms when dry) amount of resistance. So that makes shocks at higher voltages inherently much more dangerous besides just ohms law causing an increase in current alone.

Isn't it true that given enough power, anything is a conductor, even rubber?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

Hard rubber has an order of magnitude lower resistivity (resistance per thickness) than air at room temperature. It's still something like 100 gigohms for a centimeter thickness but if it can arc rubber won't help. When you get in the hundreds of kilovolts that stops mattering due to air's lower breakdown voltage.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 21, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BattleMaster posted:

They probably noticed them and applied the rule of "don't worry I've got this." We like to bash on managers and owners for a lack of safety because there's a real impetus for them to be the stewards for good safety, including providing the guidance and allowance that could discourage the following type of accident. But don't forget the basic form of a lot of accidents is "hold my beer and watch this" or "we got this"

SillyOldBag
Nov 6, 2009

if it aint swole then punch the tip and twist it

Ak Gara posted:

dis astranagant posted:

Hard rubber has an order of magnitude lower resistivity (resistance per thickness) than air at room temperature. It's still something like 100 gigohms for a centimeter thickness but if it can arc rubber won't help. When you get in the hundreds of kilovolts that stops mattering due to air's lower breakdown voltage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_breakdown

When you apply enough voltage, anything will conduct. It's actually the mechanism by which RRAM works: Induce breakdown, which ionizes the insulator and causes it to act as a conductor even at low voltages.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The other problem is capacitance.

So let's say you are wearing huge rubber boots with a good resistance and grab onto a high-voltage line. On an AC circuit you will get some current flow due to capacitance. Remember with AC there isn't really a directional "flow" of electrons, they just all move back and forth. So even if you had infinite resistance, AC current can still flow due to capacitance. It may be very little current, but it still flows.

If you apply DC to a capacitive circuit and measure current flow, it'll be very high then rapidly drop to zero as the capacitor charges.

If you apply AC to a capacitor, AC current will flow depending on the circuits impedance, voltage and frequency of the supply, and the size of the capacitor. You can use this a a filter component - a device that lets through or blocks certain frequencies.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Carbon dioxide posted:

The employees/union have now decided instead to follow the regulations to the letter. They'll keep strictly to the maximum speed for driving luggage to the planes. They won't lift heavy pieces of luggage by themselves, but make sure there's the officially required second person around.

Because of this, loading a plane takes like twice as long as usual, causing quite a few delays for travellers.

You know what? I'm okay with this.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Ak Gara posted:

Throw enough power at anything and yeah. It's like setting things on fire, you can set almost anything on fire if you try hard enough.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

It's like setting things on fire, you can set almost anything on fire if you try hard enough have a strong enough oxidizer

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Speaking of planes, KLM ground workers at Schiphol Airport wanted to go on strike because they feel they are underpaid etc etc.

Strikes are a legally protected way of protest in this country, except when one causes a large disruption of society or security. So a judge said that in this case a strike at Schiphol isn't allowed until the end of the tourist season.

That's called a work-to-rule and is a loving devastating weapon in the arsenal of a union in the right industry.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's called a work-to-rule and is a loving devastating weapon in the arsenal of a union in the right industry.

i've heard that a work-to-rule is a little different, as in a worker does not do any job or put in any effort that the handbook for their job does not require (ie refusing to do unpaid overtime or skip a break or answer emails off clock) and one where workers refuse to engage in the technical violations of safety rules that become expected parts of operating efficiency on an unsafe job site is a rule-book slowdown. so basically one is striking back at a company walking on the worker's right to compensation for their time to finish a job cheaply, the other is striking back at a company that is walking on safety to finish one quickly [and also cheaply]

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Ak Gara posted:

As other's have said, yes. Hell, given enough voltage, electricity will go "gently caress you" and arc through a vacuum.

No, I am not embarassed about my elementary understanding of physics.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

John Denver Hoxha posted:

i've heard that a work-to-rule is a little different, as in a worker does not do any job or put in any effort that the handbook for their job does not require (ie refusing to do unpaid overtime or skip a break or answer emails off clock) and one where workers refuse to engage in the technical violations of safety rules that become expected parts of operating efficiency on an unsafe job site is a rule-book slowdown. so basically one is striking back at a company walking on the worker's right to compensation for their time to finish a job cheaply, the other is striking back at a company that is walking on safety to finish one quickly [and also cheaply]

It still falls within the definition of work to rules, they're usually both done at the same time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's not conduction when it's in a vacuum but it's electrons breaking free and travelling through space. It can happen at lower voltages if the metal is hot which was done on purpose in vacuum tube electronics and cathode ray tubes. It can also happen if the metal has a sharp point where the local electric field is strong enough to start pulling electrons off.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

FrozenVent posted:

It still falls within the definition of work to rules, they're usually both done at the same time.

obviously they're closely related and sometimes both would get used, but I think that really varies by industry and company, yeah a lot of places will bend both safety rules and HR rules (and especially civil services), but in a lot of instances at least one will be followed (IE some small-scale production shops run to a painstaking safety standard but slightly lackadaisical HR will constantly pressure their workers stay after informally, then some shops that are run in a roughshod get it done quickly manner,or like some pissant forgotten sub-sub-subsidiary shop of a larger corporation may let workers take extra smoke breaks and compensate their employees fairly, or they could have additional expected duties from the employee included formally in the contract). like legitimate union action is just cool, idk.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

jetz0r posted:

Any elevator video binge has to include the talk about elevator hacking, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvGfuLlZus. Elevators are very safe if you're inside them. Being in the hoistway, above the cab, below the cab, or partially inside the cab are the potentially unsafe places to be if something goes wrong.

I can't believe I watched two hours about elevators on a Saturday night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Cross-posting from the Lego thread, my coworker and I had a little fun during a lull in business.