Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

The teleport maze was the only part I remember having trouble with dungeon-wise. Also, was SJ the one that gave you an achievement for running your face into a wall and crab-walking? That was funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Yup, and that's why Strange Journey owns.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
SJ owns and I wish they'd make a late night tokusatsu TV show version of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
A Third of every episode would be a completely black screen and another third would be constantly panning people off camera to really emulate the SJ experience.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Look man I just want to see more Landmasters. Damnation Alley should have gotten a TV show too. Maybe even do it now, gently caress it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A Third of every episode would be a completely black screen and another third would be constantly panning people off camera to really emulate the SJ experience.

still wouldn't be the worst tokusatsu show i ever watched

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Tired Moritz posted:

is it the one with the dungeon holes or the one with the teleport maze?

teleport maze, epsilon iirc

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

hubris.height posted:

teleport maze, epsilon iirc

G was the teleport maze, E was one section of every single dungeon gimmick they could think of.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Really, I think any TV show based on SMT would be pretty interesting.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Strange Journey is awesome for lots of reasons, one of which is woke Jiminez.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

The Devil Summoner drama was super cool in a cheesy late-night 90s show kinda way. It started out somewhat loyal to the story before spiraling into some truly out-there stuff that was rife with hammy acting and bad CG. It also had an episode where Jack Frost got pissed off at humans and trapped them inside a photo booth, so there's that too:

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
please tell me there is a subbed torrent of that somewhere

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Waffleman_ posted:

They managed to botch the Devil Survivor 2 anime, I can't trust Japan ever again

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

PeaceDiner posted:

The Devil Summoner drama was super cool in a cheesy late-night 90s show kinda way. It started out somewhat loyal to the story before spiraling into some truly out-there stuff that was rife with hammy acting and bad CG. It also had an episode where Jack Frost got pissed off at humans and trapped them inside a photo booth, so there's that too:

This makes me want SMT Go.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

They're still working on the tech to have the demons brick your phone

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Yo no joke, I would want an actual SMT TV show to be with real-life actors and CGI demons and for it to be dumb as hell

so basically this

fake edit: add in a main character who's basically ash from evil dead and we're golden. ash vs smt.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Vengarr posted:

They managed to botch the Devil Survivor 2 anime, I can't trust Japan ever again

Who says it has to be Japan?

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
SMT 1 Check in: I've just met with Gotou and Thorman, my gut is telling me that I shouldn't betray the resistance and help Gotou and that Thorman is going to nuke Tokyo first chance he gets (also, there's a soldier underneath the neutral aligned cafe that says exactly that) so I'll probably be going neutral. My demons are Ame no Uzume, unicorn, ghoul, and cyak. I don't have marin karin or many defensive buffs but I do have makaja and a charm spell in the form of Uzume's sexy dance.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Vengarr posted:

I haven't gotten all the way through it but I really don't hate it so far.

Maybe I'm biased because it's probably my favorite SMT title. That or I just have trash taste in anime.

I'm only four episodes in so it could very well take a dive but at least it doesn't look cheap

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Gotou was way harder than Thor. Mostly because he kept on healing himself. And I kept electrocuting Thor so he couldn't do anything.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SylvainMustach posted:

Maybe I'm biased because it's probably my favorite SMT title. That or I just have trash taste in anime.

I'm only four episodes in so it could very well take a dive but at least it doesn't look cheap

They botched the ending, yeah.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SylvainMustach posted:

The most disappointing part was that they dropped all the goofy aspects from the game entirely and told a bleak apocalypse story, and they also squander most of the cast because of it.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Oh

Well I'll enjoy he ride while I can.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Erg posted:

They're still working on the tech to have the demons brick your phone
We have that for the 3DS, it's called a Gateway flashcart :downsrim:

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Double posting since playing SMT IV through an emulator feels great for laughs. :toot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf12YmpV_Yw

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/769150058977570816

Hey, listen, senpai!

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
What's a reliable way to get MAG in SMT 1?

Also, I'm playing a little bit of soul hackers and my handle is "Fox" since 1.) the main character is a hacker, so he's crafty like a fox and 2.) I saw a fox while I was on a walk in the woods near my college and it was really cool. But one of the other characters has the handle "Six" which kind of sounds like fox...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I played Persona 5 today.

As we already know the game is really cool fast and stylish.
The demo area was set in May in a museum area with paintings on the walls that you could examine.
At least the part they had for the playable demo, the dungeons have a fair amount of stealth/puzzle element and feel very "designed" which is a nice change from P3 and 4. The section in the demo had laser tripwires which you could jump or crawl over (just a context action with circle button).... if you didn't do it right or walked into a laser then an alarm will go off and one of the enemies in the area will run towards you and try to attack. Nearly every wall or surface can be used for cover in the manner of a modern cover shooter and you can select an enemy from cover and hit circle to run out and preemptively attack them. There are also a lot of "loot" objects around the dungeon which you can steal presumably to sell later for money.... I found the exploration controls to be slightly awkward but I think it was just a symptom of trying quickly to get used to the game.
As far as the combat it is mostly what you would expect from a modern Persona game... the mapping of menu options to controller buttons takes a bit of getting used to at first but I imagine you can use it very quickly once you have played the game for a while.

The party was IIRC:
Joker / Arsene: Eiha (curse element damage I think), Sukunda and some physical attacks
Ryuji: Zio and physical skills, possibly poison.
Morgana: Garu, Dia, Patra, Media
Anne: Agi, Maragi, status ailment skills
I may be remembering them wrong though

Morgana was both an active party member and the "navigator" character. Analysis works in the style of P4 where an enemy's weakness to a particular element is only shown once . When choosing a skill in the menu "Weak!" will appear for attacks the enemy is weak against.
Once you have knocked down one enemy the "baton touch" option will appear in the menu. When all enemies are knocked down the "hold up!" prompt will automatically appear with 3 options: all-out attack, negotiate or cancel.
The demon negotiation seemed fairly easy, I just mashed some of the conversation options and the demon became my persona.
Overall demon negotiation and combat were quite easy but I imagine it's because it is a public demo.

The social link menu shows a b&w portrait of the associated person and Igor was associated with Fool (I think, I saw this on somebody else's screen from far away.)
I played it only briefly but I will try to answer any questions about it

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Constr posted:

What's a reliable way to get MAG in SMT 1?

The simplest way is to kill Dark demons, which you want to do anyway since you can't really get anything much from talking to them. You can also ask for it in negotiations with other demons, but eventually you'll have more than you know what to do with anyway.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Item Getter posted:

I played it only briefly but I will try to answer any questions about it

How was the combat music? P3+4 had some of the catchiest combat music in the history of gaming. P5 needs to be crammed full of songs I'll have stuck in my head at work for a year.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

BGrifter posted:

How was the combat music? P3+4 had some of the catchiest combat music in the history of gaming. P5 needs to be crammed full of songs I'll have stuck in my head at work for a year.

It's pretty good....
Though the audio was not great in the venue because there was a loud TV playing all the trailers on loop next to the demo machines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bznv_ZhhvGM
From 2:04 onwards is the section of the game which was used for the demo events.
You can hear the music there but there is a guy talking over it.
Not sure if there is a cleaner version on YouTube anywhere

edit: wrong music link.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 27, 2016

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Little things I liked in SMT IV:

The Gaian woman who realizes that the "rule of the strong" isn't worth it after seeing all her comrades get killed and at the end of the neutral route promises to help the survivors see that Lilith was wrong.

A farmer in Mikado who turns his own son in for execution and adopts another kid and in the neutral end, he decides to commit suicide by staying in Mikado even though it will be destroyed by Masokado awakening. When his adopted kid is worried about him, he tells the kid that his son always needed him to be there so he could rest :smith:

Also, the mom who decides to pick up the kid she left in Reverse Hills after the game is done :unsmith:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
That's kind of neat, I didn't take the time to talk to everyone towards the end of the game. That sort of NPC dialogue that changes with game events is a good detail in a lot of Atlus games but I usually forget about it

I kind of forget that Mikado is destroyed in the neutral ending because I hated Mikado and didn't care about it. Which is why the Law ending sounded like the worst ending to me since it was the opposite.
By the way does Mikado get destroyed in the Chaos ending? Or is it the only one where one or both cities don't get destroyed?

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Item Getter posted:

That's kind of neat, I didn't take the time to talk to everyone towards the end of the game. That sort of NPC dialogue that changes with game events is a good detail in a lot of Atlus games but I usually forget about it

I kind of forget that Mikado is destroyed in the neutral ending because I hated Mikado and didn't care about it. Which is why the Law ending sounded like the worst ending to me since it was the opposite.
By the way does Mikado get destroyed in the Chaos ending? Or is it the only one where one or both cities don't get destroyed?

Yep, neutral is the one where Mikado and Tokyo come together to become one city. From what I've seen on youtube, Mikado is overrun by demons just like Tokyo, and they massacre all of the Casualries and Luxurours who don't know how to fight. Only the samurai are able to cope. Mikado turns into what Infernal Tokyo was. I think Tokyo is abandoned. The people who live in Tokyo go to live in Mikado, but they still have to fight the demons all the time. Lucifer tells you to become the new king of Mikado, Mad Max villain style.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I forget is it ever explained why Mikado's time is much faster than the rest of the world? I think I remember that the cocoon was a idea from God to save the pure or something but then what was the end of that and who set up the tower that Akira was able to climb.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

If a party member gets knocked down via weakness exploit in Persona 5, there's a chance that the enemy will take them hostage and you'll have to negotiate to get them free. You can call for help online (like in P4G) to help free them, and hopefully that lets you circumvent this whole system, because honestly at this point it sounds terrible.

Radish posted:

I forget is it ever explained why Mikado's time is much faster than the rest of the world? I think I remember that the cocoon was a idea from God to save the pure or something but then what was the end of that and who set up the tower that Akira was able to climb.

It's the other way around. The surface is normal, it's Tokyo that's running differently.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 31, 2016

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

TurnipFritter posted:

If a party member gets knocked down via weakness exploit in Persona 5, there's a chance that the enemy will take them hostage and you'll have to negotiate to get them free. You can call for help online (like in P4G) to help free them, and hopefully that lets you circumvent this whole system, because honestly at this point it sounds terrible.

That's the kind of mechanic that can be easily deleted if it's not popular in play testing, so I'd wager it works pretty well in practice.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TurnipFritter posted:

It's the other way around. The surface is normal, it's Tokyo that's running differently.

Really? Where is that explained, I was totally off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Radish posted:

Really? Where is that explained, I was totally off.

IIRC it's not ever really sat-down-and-explained but the barrier is protecting Tokyo from the rest of the world and so Tokyo is the one under weird time dilation while ~1500 years have passed since then everywhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

IIRC it's not ever really sat-down-and-explained but the barrier is protecting Tokyo from the rest of the world and so Tokyo is the one under weird time dilation while ~1500 years have passed since then everywhere else

Hmm I missed that Tokyo was the one with the time dilation and not the magical land on top of it. That's kind of a bummer since it means that there's no chance for other cultures being represented but I guess SMT has always been a series that was hyper Japan and specifically Tokyo focused so it's not surprising.