Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ihatepants posted:

Count me as another that uses and loves Paprika on my Android phone, iPad, macbook and Windows 10 desktop. Also, I'm pretty sure that I'd read a long time ago in the iOS apps thread that it's Goon made.

It is goon made (this goon specifically). You must have spent a fortune getting the app on every platform though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
This isn't exactly an andoid app per se, but it is related.

Does anyone else use the Pocketcasts web app? This is a really minor issue, but I usually browse my subscriptions by looking at the number of "available episodes" for each show. How come the web app doesn't show this number? Is there a way to get it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

This isn't exactly an andoid app per se, but it is related.

Does anyone else use the Pocketcasts web app? This is a really minor issue, but I usually browse my subscriptions by looking at the number of "available episodes" for each show. How come the web app doesn't show this number? Is there a way to get it?

I use the web app very frequently and no, there's no way to view that. I assume you're talking about the corner badge that appears on the Android app that shows the number of unlistened episodes, not the number available.

Another thing I miss is the ability to set a queue on my device and see that in the web app.

The developer used to be fairly responsive and I'm not sure how they are now. I will say I've been a bit disappointed in the few changes to the featureset of the web app but it does work and work well so I don't feel shortchanged. Still, I can't say I don't wish it were better.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

LastInLine posted:

I use the web app very frequently and no, there's no way to view that. I assume you're talking about the corner badge that appears on the Android app that shows the number of unlistened episodes, not the number available.

Another thing I miss is the ability to set a queue on my device and see that in the web app.

The developer used to be fairly responsive and I'm not sure how they are now. I will say I've been a bit disappointed in the few changes to the featureset of the web app but it does work and work well so I don't feel shortchanged. Still, I can't say I don't wish it were better.

Yeah, that's what I meant. The number unlistened to.

Looking at reviews for the Windows version, it looks like Shifty Jelly hasn't been on the ball in the last 6-months-ish. Kind of a shame. I wonder what happened to them? Maybe they're just focusing all attention on the iOS version.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
The left bud on my earphones has died so I'm trying to work out how to force my Moto G (Marshmallow) into mono mode. When I google it gives instructions for Android 4.4 but that doesn't exist there any more (accessibility options). I assume it has to be done with an external app? Any suggestions?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It is goon made (this goon specifically). You must have spent a fortune getting the app on every platform though.

They run an annual Thanksgiving sale where all the apps are half price. I figured $20 to get apps on mac/windows was worth it since I already used the iOS and Android versions quite frequently. Also the non-mobile apps made it a lot easier for me to catalog and digitize my mom's recipes.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. The number unlistened to.

Looking at reviews for the Windows version, it looks like Shifty Jelly hasn't been on the ball in the last 6-months-ish. Kind of a shame. I wonder what happened to them? Maybe they're just focusing all attention on the iOS version.

Shifty seems to be focused on the iOS version now. It took them a really long time to get version 6 of the app out on iOS. Then whag they'll probably do is jump back to Android and start work there again and just focus on that only.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Drunk Tomato posted:

Speaking from a personal experience, I was talking to their support a few weeks ago, and they were pretty quick to respond and figure out the issue I was having with their Android app.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I havent used Snapseed for a year or two, but have just reinstalled it, and mostly I like whats happened while I've been away.

But...I'm sure I remember it's key feature being that it's non destructive, you could save & reopen an image and remove some or all of the previous edits.

I cant seem to do that anymore, if I save/export the image, it creates a new image and the editing stack is empty if I reopen either the original or the new file. Did they remove this feature or is something going wrong with permissions or something?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Im pretty sure only the iOS version of Snapseed does non destructive editing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What would be a nice alternative to ES File Explorer nowadays? I've been using it since my gingerbread days on my phone and tablet but since I got a new android phone two weeks ago started to grow tired that they filled it with poo poo. I want something that supports external usb drives and shared folders via wi-fi (from my W10 PC). From What I've read Asus file manager is decent and Total Commander is a classic that seems to be still supported. Any suggestions?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Guillermus posted:

What would be a nice alternative to ES File Explorer nowadays? I've been using it since my gingerbread days on my phone and tablet but since I got a new android phone two weeks ago started to grow tired that they filled it with poo poo. I want something that supports external usb drives and shared folders via wi-fi (from my W10 PC). From What I've read Asus file manager is decent and Total Commander is a classic that seems to be still supported. Any suggestions?

Solid Explorer is excellent but not free, 14 day trial to test it out though. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer2&hl=en

Nexus devices apparently don't support partitions other than FAT for external USB drives but this plugin adds support for them. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer.plugins.otg&hl=en

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm a fan of Explorer/Root Explorer. I've also heard good things about File Explorer.

To be honest I haven't used or needed a file explorer in so long I wonder why I even bother.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks to both, gonna try them. I have a Huawei P9 wich supports all kinds of external usb things (hell even my my external 1Tb HDD).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I reset my Windows 10 box today, and now I can't get Solid Explorer to connect to it over LAN/SMB. I've deleted the connection and tried recreating it, but I don't remember exactly what the credentials are supposed to be. My MS username is a Gmail address, and I've tried that as the user name for Solid Explorer as well as my "Firstname Lastname" and "Firstname" usernames, but nothing lets Solid connect. What am I forgetting here?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

hooah posted:

I reset my Windows 10 box today, and now I can't get Solid Explorer to connect to it over LAN/SMB. I've deleted the connection and tried recreating it, but I don't remember exactly what the credentials are supposed to be. My MS username is a Gmail address, and I've tried that as the user name for Solid Explorer as well as my "Firstname Lastname" and "Firstname" usernames, but nothing lets Solid connect. What am I forgetting here?
I actually stopped using Solid Explorer after it wasn't able to access my freenas box over SMB when I had to reset it. Can't find anything conclusive, but I have a feeling that one of their updates introduced a bug. I have since switched to FX File Explorer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.fx) but had to shell out a couple of bucks for network access. Not a huge deal since I'm still getting by on the $50 nexus credit from almost a year ago and surveys.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

oh good, more lovely half baked apps

quote:

A mission on ease of use, notes Engadget, requires Google to start over, which is why these new apps are tied to the user's phone number and not a Google account.

What the hell. How does tying it to a phone number instead of a google account (which since these are android apps, you should probably already have) make it more usable? Not being able to use it on my tablet seems decidedly less usable.

quote:

Remember, though, that Allo and Duo will not have desktop equivalents, which could prove a frustration to some.

god dammit google why must you always gently caress this up.

It's like they took all the good points of hangouts, no phone number, any device, built into inbox/gmail, and asked what's the best way to rip it out and make the new app less usable. For apps that are probably going to be abandoned in a year since no one is going to move away from hangouts.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Demon_Corsair posted:

It's like they took all the good points of hangouts, no phone number, any device, built into inbox/gmail, and asked what's the best way to rip it out and make the new app less usable. For apps that are probably going to be abandoned in a year since no one is going to move away from hangouts.

My favourite poo poo is when they put features back into products that they previously removed a long time ago and suggest that they're new. Like being able to download offline maps after they removed that years prior, or when they put voice chat back into hangouts after removing it for the first year or so*. And now having "incognito" chats in Allo, which had previously been called "off the record" for nearly the entire lifespan of original/classic chat within Gmail. Which I still use on my main account since there is nothing they won't gently caress with to death anymore.

*my FAVOURITE favourite part of them removing voice chats originally was because their solution was "Just use Google Voice!" which is only available in the USA, so they cut voice chat service for the entire rest of the planet overnight. Must have been a great day for Skype.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 21, 2016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

oh good, more lovely half baked apps

What the hell. How does tying it to a phone number instead of a google account (which since these are android apps, you should probably already have) make it more usable? Not being able to use it on my tablet seems decidedly less usable.

Well yes...and also no.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/21/although-google-allo-tied-phone-number-also-connected-google-account/

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

So it's based on your phone number and uses your google account to make suggestions.

quote:

Multi-device support is not available. You can have two installations of Allo on two devices tied to the same Google account, but they need to be on different phone numbers to activate in the first place. Your chats will be completely different on these two devices (again, because tied to phone number).

Is a deal breaker for me. Why would I ever switch to an app that has reduced features from the one I already use. And it's removing features that are important to me. Close to 50% of my hangouts chats are through the inbox plugin.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
It makes me curious what percentage of people in general still need the ability to text on something other than a phone. I'm pretty sure my social circle uses hangouts on PC a lot but that's admittedly a really small sample of people.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if I'm working at the computer or doing whatever on my tablet, its much quicker and easier to reply from that device than having to pull out my phone read and reply then put back in pocket and go back to what I was doing :shrug:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Blue Train posted:

if I'm working at the computer

That. As I look through my messaging apps, only Duo does not have a web/computer interface I can use to send messages. WhatsApp, Signal, Messaging (by way of Join), Skype, FB Messenger, Telegram all have something.

Quite fond of Signal's packaged Chrome app, but with the recent death announcement for those...

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
OK, I only use hangouts so I wasn't sure if WhatsApp and other popular apps had PC messaging. To be clear I'm definitely in the boat of being frustrated about not having PC support but I was wondering if Google looked at the numbers and saw it was too niche to bother with or something.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I really like Duo, as my wife has an iPhone and I don't. It's easy, doesn't require a Google account, and the quality is awesome.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I really like Duo, as my wife has an iPhone and I don't. It's easy, doesn't require a Google account, and the quality is awesome.

Nobody is complaining about the quality. It's everything else that's a joke.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Duo, in and of itself, is "perfect" to me in terms of what is required of an app. Very simple, high quality, cross-platform, and does one thing perfectly.

I'd be very psyched if it came out in 2012.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nocal posted:

Duo, in and of itself, is "perfect" to me in terms of what is required of an app. Very simple, high quality, cross-platform, and does one thing perfectly.

I'd be very psyched if it came out in 2012.

I agree with this. I think most of the idea behind Duo is sound and good. Unfortunately, it's not for me and it sucks that it sounds like it comes at the expense of Hangouts.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
If Allo nails texting in the way that Duo nails video conferencing, then I don't give a gently caress about Hangouts anymore. But...I doubt that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Isn't Duo basically Google's version of Facetime?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yes

allo looks gimmicky as hell to me, who cares about resizing text or predictive messaging. my responses are usually either something very short or something long that a machine couldn't possibly predict

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anybody else's Google Now news feed overrun in the last month with right-wing blogs that seem like they're about an inch away from using "dindu" in a headline?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Taffer posted:

Nobody is complaining about the quality. It's everything else that's a joke.

To me, it's not a joke but an easy solution that gets the job done.

I don't want to bother someone as it is with an app to download, but this is as simple as registering your number and away you go.

For those reasons, I really like the app.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Anybody else's Google Now news feed overrun in the last month with right-wing blogs that seem like they're about an inch away from using "dindu" in a headline?

yes, I use the thing to say I don't want stories from that source anymore and then they send me poo poo that is even further right :psyduck:

e: I just checked and this was there ugh

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 22, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yup (although I have no idea what "dindu" refers to). I just tell it I'm not interested in that source and hope it'll get the clue eventually.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I always wish it would give me a way to say "im not interested in whatever signal made you think i wanted this bullshit".

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

hooah posted:

Yup (although I have no idea what "dindu" refers to).

"Dindu Nuffin"'s a dog-whistle catchphrase used by 'urban youths' and 'thug culture'. Sound it out and pretend you're a sheltered suburbanite whose entire understanding of today's problems is "Well it wasn't like this when I was a kid!!! :bahgawd: "

Also, android apps huh??? I hear they come on phones these days. What a world.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I tried Duo with a friend today and it was awesome. Allo needs to hurry up and come out, too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there anyway to put my music library into Google Play without actually uploading it? Like it scans my folders, sees I have an album, but just adds it to my library so whenever I press play on the Play music app or site, it plays Google's copy of it. I mostly just don't want to wait for my stuff to upload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Deeters posted:

Is there anyway to put my music library into Google Play without actually uploading it? Like it scans my folders, sees I have an album, but just adds it to my library so whenever I press play on the Play music app or site, it plays Google's copy of it. I mostly just don't want to wait for my stuff to upload.

It's supposed to scan your library and use the Google Play Music copies, only uploading if it can't find a match. I uploaded my library way before they started doing that, so I don't know how well it works.