Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
we've shot cruise missiles at less

good job, abu, I say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I just remembered that in Korea we'd put 55 gallon drums of fuel with incendiary charges on top of hills.

Running up a hill sucks enough without seeing a roiling, fiery flow headed your way.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

we've shot cruise missiles at less

good job, abu, I say

hey now that cobra commander base in tora bora was totally real ok

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Cool: Apache 30mm
Cooler: A-10 30mm
Coolest: 2000lbs of air force love the JTAC accidentally dropped 500m from you :getin:

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
i dont care what the syrians do. devloping a heat-frag tow round is stupid because your tow variants carry like 15 rounds max. in a real war, you're never shooting tows at dudes when you've gotta fight off the red hordes and you have 25mm he.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

Coolest: 2000lbs of air force love the JTAC accidentally dropped 500m from you :getin:

WHAT

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

i dont care what the syrians do. devloping a heat-frag tow round is stupid because your tow variants carry like 15 rounds max. in a real war, you're never shooting tows at dudes when you've gotta fight off the red hordes and you have 25mm he.

When was the last real war?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Couple of year ago there was a live leak video of US troops in a mountain OP experiencing an accidental 'danger close'

e https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSzBCgbicbA

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we dont fight real wars now we chaos dunk on scrubs and a frag TOW variant is precisely the kind of thing the world could use more of

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Syrian Lannister posted:

Couple of year ago there was a live leak video of US troops in a mountain OP experiencing an accidental 'danger close'

e https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSzBCgbicbA

It was a joke, like your hearing would be gone if you survived 2000 lbs that close.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
veins is the kind of guy that crys when the god carl and his prophet gustav frags him through a wall in bad company 2

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

MANY CONFUSE OUR LORD WITH A ROCKET LAUNCHER BUT THIS IS BLASPHEMY. OUR SAVIOR IS A RECOILLESS RIFLE

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ded posted:

veins is the kind of guy that crys when the god carl and his prophet gustav frags him through a wall in bad company 2

Oh wow so that was Veins I played with a couple weeks ago

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

We did not like that JTAC much

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

counterpoint would be we've been plinking dudes with $100,000 heat-frag Hellfires from a variety of platforms for the last 15 years

given the fact that it seems like TOWs and other ground based ATGMs were deployed relatively commonly in afghanistan/iraq over the last 15 years I'm honestly surprised that there isn't a frag sleeve variant out there since I would've figured someone had dropped a UON or JUON declaring it something they needed right now

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If Excalibur didn't exist I'm sure the US would've procured a frag TOW by now.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Why HEAT-Frag? Why not just make a thermobaric TOW missile? The launcher's big enough.

The Kornet has one.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

ded posted:

nice try bitch. noob toobing 4 lyfe

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Saint Celestine posted:

Why HEAT-Frag? Why not just make a thermobaric TOW missile? The launcher's big enough.

The Kornet has one.

because you don't have to redesign the entire warhead. Making a heat-frag warhead is as simple as putting a frag sleeve around the heat warhead already in place (which is pretty easy) as opposed to putting a completely different thermobaric warhead on the missile

Also because you still have anti-armor/hard target capability....so instead of needing two missiles for two different target sets (thermobaric for soft targets/heat for armor) you've got one missile that does it all

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
is the hellfire the only thing that they make this vaunted frag sleeve for?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

:dong:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

iyaayas01 posted:

because you don't have to redesign the entire warhead. Making a heat-frag warhead is as simple as putting a frag sleeve around the heat warhead already in place (which is pretty easy) as opposed to putting a completely different thermobaric warhead on the missile

Is it? If the missile's tube-launched, the OD has to be smaller than the tube, so you can't just wrap a sleeve around the warhead section and still make it fit. You'd have to fit it internally, which means it's got to fit somewhere, which means you're probably designing a different warhead, one that integrates a fragmentation section, and putting it on the missile.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

nice try bitch. noob toobing 4 lyfe

Sorry, it's actually called pro piping.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Don't the Russians make HE or Thermobaric versions of many of their ATGMs? Not the worst idea if you can't get close enough to use a Carl G or LAW .

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I think so yeah

which like I said, surprises me a bit because from a capability perspective it's pretty effective

I mean logically it doesn't make much sense for it to be on TOW (or any other anti-armor missile really) but given GWOT mentality and UON/JUON fun-bux I'm still a little surprised someone hasn't thrown money at it yet

Phanatic posted:

Is it? If the missile's tube-launched, the OD has to be smaller than the tube, so you can't just wrap a sleeve around the warhead section and still make it fit. You'd have to fit it internally, which means it's got to fit somewhere, which means you're probably designing a different warhead, one that integrates a fragmentation section, and putting it on the missile.

Good point...my only question would be how much clearance is there between the exterior surface of the missile and the tube? A light frag sleeve adds very little in diameter

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

iyaayas01 posted:

Good point...my only question would be how much clearance is there between the exterior surface of the missile and the tube? A light frag sleeve adds very little in diameter

I'd expect a really close fit, since HEAT penetration scales as a multiple of diameter of the warhead. Shrink the warhead diameter even slightly from what you could fit in your tube launcher and you've just taken a big penetration hit, so given the constraints of the tube you'd make the warhead as wide as possible.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Can we just rejoice that we live in time where you can watch a platoon eat two TOWs

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

go3 posted:

Can we just rejoice that we live in time where you can watch a platoon eat two TOWs

and then still stand around clueless

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I'm sort of surprised the Syrians haven't made their own junkyard frag sleeves yet.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

GiP acting like if we had the relative safety, the relative freedom of arms, and the lack of command, we wouldn't be doing Mad Max type poo poo like sniping dudes with missiles.
Seriously, I would shoot a motherfucker with a TOW if given the opportunity, and the TOW actually worked. poo poo, if I were insane Syrian Militiaman, I would be trying to live out every stupid thing I'd be playing Battlefield 3: Aleppo Campaign Expansion Pack.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Scratch Monkey posted:

I'm sort of surprised the Syrians haven't made their own junkyard frag sleeves yet.

insh'allah, we will destroy the infidels with our missiles brother

modifying ATGMs with frag sleeves is probably beyond comprehension for most of who we're talking about, this is a gang that thinks "use manual labor to haul 57mm gun to top of open building, then watch it get sniped by an ATGM" is the height of indirect fire support

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The Libyans made the best homemade poo poo.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

bulletsponge13 posted:

GiP acting like if we had the relative safety, the relative freedom of arms, and the lack of command, we wouldn't be doing Mad Max type poo poo like sniping dudes with missiles.
Seriously, I would shoot a motherfucker with a TOW if given the opportunity, and the TOW actually worked. poo poo, if I were insane Syrian Militiaman, I would be trying to live out every stupid thing I'd be playing Battlefield 3: Aleppo Campaign Expansion Pack.

If GiP had a platoon out there there would be one confused junior officer staring at a couple dozen covers laying around with a set of keys inside of them on the ground

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I don't know how OPSEC this is but theatre wide we ran out of hellfire K2As in early 2011 because they were just that damned good that we used them for pretty much everything. Apache 30mm had issues on elevated targets (read: mountains) because the firing computers preferred to solve for flat terrain. Anyway, they had modified hellfires for drones as well, which doesn't change the answer to your question. Anyway, nothing solves the issue like a B1 with extra gas and some spare GBU 24s and an absentee parent battalion HQ nowhere near your province.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

If GiP had a platoon out there there would be one confused junior officer staring at a couple dozen covers laying around with a set of keys inside of them on the ground

Then shim would rant for a solid 9 minutes before getting yelled at to collect pieces of gravel into a pile for six hours.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

So I'm not confused, a frag sleeve adds fragmentation to the entire length of the missile, yes?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Let's be real you guys would be jihadding your c4 laden four wheelers into T90s over and over again.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Sniping with missiles makes logical sense though. Its gonna be tge longest range weapon system available to grunts especially if your missile sniping dudes that aren't moving like Ied placers or fixed defense.

How good are the optics on tows?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Reverand maynard posted:

How good are the optics on tows?

better than the iron sights on their RPD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

better than the iron sights on their RPD

being able to kill dudes at ranges they can't effectively return fire is pretty dope