Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Also one of them has Jaden Smith

Whenever I see that name all I can think about is

Source
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIpqGD-ogzk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jaden Smith is why I was avoiding it actually.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The first episode alone (maybe more?) is directed by Baz Luhrmann, and Giancarlo Esposito is in it amongst others. I'd say good enough reason to try it more than someone halfway down the cast list.

I hadn't heard of it until now, so I'm glad it came up. Adding to watch list.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Dead Snoopy posted:

Is anybody else loving The Get Down the way I'm loving The Get Down?

I'm loving the hell out of it. You should start a thread. I'm super impressed with the kid playing Ezekiel.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

He's not bad in it. I didn't even realize it was him at first. He's more of a side character so he doesn't have a chance to be annoying.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I actually wasn't feeling the first episode of The Get Down, though I admire Luhrmann -- and, by extension, the show -- for having the kind of chutzpah it does to be a coming-of-age musical, a period drama, a blaxploitation crime thriller, and a chopsocky flick all rolled into one. I just got spun around by all of it and couldn't really follow its thread.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, I know the racial angle is probably why the show's not setting the internet ablaze. :smith:

I hear there is a show called Empire which is quite successful though.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't know what their thoughts were on having it continue but it sure feels to me like a miniseries. Hopefully this season wraps up well enough.

I believe season 2 would have had a whole new setting and new cast.

FetusSlapper posted:

I never saw an official cancellation of Alpha House, but there's no way that show can compete with the comedy of this real election season.

They said during the TCAs that Alpha House was "not an active show".

DivisionPost posted:

I actually wasn't feeling the first episode of The Get Down, though I admire Luhrmann -- and, by extension, the show -- for having the kind of chutzpah it does to be a coming-of-age musical, a period drama, a blaxploitation crime thriller, and a chopsocky flick all rolled into one. I just got spun around by all of it and couldn't really follow its thread.

Haven't watched it myself, but critics seemed to loathe the Luhrman directed pilot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

They said during the TCAs that Alpha House was "not an active show".

Trump killed Alpha House.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Wandle Cax posted:

I hear there is a show called Empire which is quite successful though.

Empire is basically a soap opera though so it's easy to understand why it's popular among a lot of varying demographics: you have Taraji Henson chewing the scenery and Terrence Howard playing a villainous dad and also some music supervised by Timbaland.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Vanderdeath posted:

Empire is basically a soap opera though so it's easy to understand why it's popular among a lot of varying demographics: you have Taraji Henson chewing the scenery and Terrence Howard playing a villainous dad and also some music supervised by Timbaland.

The Get Down should be popular too given the current enormous Hamilton hype.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Personally I just haven't watched Get Down yet because the reviews have all been fairly mediocre. I'll probably give it a chance eventually just for the visuals.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Escobarbarian posted:

Personally I just haven't watched Get Down yet because the reviews have all been fairly mediocre. I'll probably give it a chance eventually just for the visuals.

I liked the setting, visual style, music, clothes, actors and Regina (:swoon:), but everything else was kind of meh, didn't really work for me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, I know the racial angle is probably why the show's not setting the internet ablaze. :smith:

ding ding ding

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Coffeehitler posted:

From what I've read, the creative team changed from S1 to S2 and you can really tell. S1 had someone die like every other episode at the slowest. I'm really hoping it doesn't get a third season, but will continue to watch if it does.

Yeah I think that MTV weren't happy with them so they got rid of them completely. I can't say I blame them, neither season has been all successful. Saying that, unless I'm completely forgetting I think the back half of S1 is light on kills. You get the best kill in the show, with the dude getting split in two, and then you have one more in like the final episode, but there's a lot of running around and investigating during the downtime.

S2 has nastier and more graphic kills, but they're so slow to happen because there's such a narrow focus this season. I've not read spoilers, but there is one way S2 could end and be totally worth it, but there's no way they have the guts to do it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

cheerfullydrab posted:

ding ding ding

Nah, that's not it. Empire is the second-highest watched drama on television.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

less laughter posted:

That no one in TV IV watches. :sigh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
empire isn't about super heroes

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

As I understand it, Empire is basically Dallas with black people and better music.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Empire isn't good, it's okay that nobody here watches it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

less laughter posted:

Sorry it's obviously not as good as NCIS.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Sorry it's obviously not as good as NCIS.

Terence Howard is no Mark Harmon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Empire isn't good, it's okay that nobody here watches it.

I'd take an average soap opera with cool pop songs over yet another loving procedural every day.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of things a lot of people don't watch, but is actually good, Animal Kingdom had their season finale recently. Its a show I highly recommend, its not blow your mind greatness or anything, but it is good crime TV that doesn't seek to whitewash its characters at all. coughSoAcough

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

less laughter posted:

White people like to view black people through various stereotypes: criminals, musicians, wise working-class folks, etc. The people on Empire are real fleshed-out characters with actual nuanced lives but they're still more often than not stereotypes/archetypes that the majority of the tv-viewing public can easily digest.

The Get Down is more about black people who just act like normal people. Do you at all see the difference? It's not about just quantifying people of color, saying this show has this many black characters, this other show has this many black characters, and this show has these ratings, and this show has these other ratings, it's about the actual treatment of the people in the show.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah I think that MTV weren't happy with them so they got rid of them completely. I can't say I blame them, neither season has been all successful. Saying that, unless I'm completely forgetting I think the back half of S1 is light on kills. You get the best kill in the show, with the dude getting split in two, and then you have one more in like the final episode, but there's a lot of running around and investigating during the downtime.

S2 has nastier and more graphic kills, but they're so slow to happen because there's such a narrow focus this season. I've not read spoilers, but there is one way S2 could end and be totally worth it, but there's no way they have the guts to do it.

They mostly just ran out of expendable characters. I remember questioning in the early episodes how long they could sustain their at-least-one-death-per-episode average, and the answer was pretty much to keep it going until they were down to the essentials.

Season 2 wasn't bad, but while the killer in the first season was extremely predictable (the Audrey element less so, but still not out of nowhere), the second season reveal is just kind of dumb and feels like a carbon-copy of the movie's ending, complete with out-of-nowhere backstory and sudden maniacal villainy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The marketing for Empire is the biggest reason I have no interest in the show. It seemed like it was literally advertising how big of a stereotype the characters were as a selling point of the show. So if the show's not like that, great.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DivisionPost posted:

A lot of critics hate the first episode and a couple gave up on the show due to it. It clocks in at 96 minutes which is a bit long for a pilot.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I haven't been in the thread for a while, but this is interesting news

http://thestudioexec.com/stranger-things-season-2-will-written-stephen-king/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BSam posted:

I haven't been in the thread for a while, but this is interesting news

http://thestudioexec.com/stranger-things-season-2-will-written-stephen-king/

Noooooooooo

The number of worthwhile adaptations of Stephen King writings can be counted on a single hand of an accident prone factory worker.

Hopefully since it isn't his property and there will be competent show runners, it will be OK, but this unsettles me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Noooooooooo

The number of worthwhile adaptations of Stephen King writings can be counted on a single hand of an accident prone factory worker.

Hopefully since it isn't his property and there will be competent show runners, it will be OK, but this unsettles me.

The best Stephen King adaption was Alan Wake, which was basically a Stephen King-like character dumped into a mysterious New England town and uncovering the mysterious ancient/old evil that lives in the town.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just FYI thestudioexec.com is a troll site. If this was real and Stephen King was going to be actually, creatively involved with the second season of Stranger Things, there'd have to be an official renewal on the books so that money could be allocated to hire Stephen King. It isn't yet; a better troll might look like "Stephen King expresses interest in writing for the second season of Stranger Things."

Now, if you want something real, here's what King actually said about the show a month back, in case you missed it:

https://twitter.com/stephenking/status/754865415587758080

And here's how one of the Duffer Brothers reacted to it:

quote:

"The first thing that really messed me up was the, uh -- Stephen King tweeted about it," said one of the Duffers (Matt? Ross? It isn't clear) when asked by NPR host Ari Shapiro what their "oh my god what have we done here moment" was. "And I was like, 'what?' That to me was -- cause no one else had tweeted really at that point and he obviously is one of our idols and was such a big inspiration for us and an influence on the show. That sort of messed me up. You just don't think about it reaching those people. It was insane."

It was sourced through HitFix, but that site has managed to get even worse, so here's the NPR interview where they talked about it.

Honestly, watching this show blow the gently caress up like it has is one of the few great joys this lovely year has offered.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

bull3964 posted:

You could use the same hand to count the number of worthwhile Stephen King writings.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
COME ON DOWN TO WHALE WORLD

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

Just FYI thestudioexec.com is a troll site. If this was real and Stephen King was going to be actually, creatively involved with the second season of Stranger Things, there'd have to be an official renewal on the books so that money could be allocated to hire Stephen King. It isn't yet; a better troll might look like "Stephen King expresses interest in writing for the second season of Stranger Things."

Now, if you want something real, here's what King actually said about the show a month back, in case you missed it:

https://twitter.com/stephenking/status/754865415587758080

And here's how one of the Duffer Brothers reacted to it:

It was sourced through HitFix, but that site has managed to get even worse, so here's the NPR interview where they talked about it.

Honestly, watching this show blow the gently caress up like it has is one of the few great joys this lovely year has offered.
Apparently I met the Duffer brothers back in 2008. Imagine me, the hipster ahead of the curve.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DivisionPost posted:

Seriously. Imagine being Shannon Purser for a second. You're a geeky, somewhat heavy actress in an industry that prefers bottle blondes on vegan diets, and you booked your very first on-screen acting gig on a low-key genre show's inaugural season, a small part that'll write you off in three episodes. Your manager is telling you "Hey, it gets your name out there."

Then a week or so after the show drops, you phone blows the gently caress up, with all your friends asking if you've seen THIS:

https://twitter.com/NetflixANZ/status/756033316332064768

And that's just the start of it. Now when you acknowledge your sudden, unexpected thrust into the limelight by half-jokingly musing about wanting to play Squirrel Girl, a legion of genre nerds get your back, and the comic's artists and writers extend an open invitation for you to come shoot the poo poo with them.

And that's just one side of it. There's The Duffer Brothers garnering massive acclaim with a Stephen King-like story after fighting for and failing to land the job to write and direct the It adaptation, there's Winona Ryder kickstarting the second act of her career after getting caught up in her own bullshit, there's David Harbour getting his shine after 14+ years as a "that guy," and of course there are the kids, and it's all happening as an original property -- albeit one that leans heavily on the same kind of nostalgia that established properties do -- in a world that can't seem to find room for them anymore.

This show really is the feel-good story of the year.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
bojack s3 is v good

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wouldn't this kind of be the third act of Winona Ryder's career?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DivisionPost posted:

Then a week or so after the show drops, you phone blows the gently caress up, with all your friends asking if you've seen THIS:

https://twitter.com/NetflixANZ/status/756033316332064768

That doesn't look real at all... maybe just the angle, but it looks like photoshoppery.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just watched the first episode of Stranger Things cause it was finally time I got round to it. It was all very weird and Winona Ryder was (understandably) very screechy and I've got no clue what's going on but I expect it involves aliens but I do like how well it captures the 80s especially the social attitudes.

That was a Rarity Hot Take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I sort of lost interest towards the end and I found it more artificial than most but I think the acting in it is universally high tier.

• Locked thread