Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

He just took a couple shirts off and has a Slayer shirt on.

Edit: And it turns out he's parked next to me.

1 more month and I'm long gone to Montana...wan? for the Down from the Mountain fest.

Introduced me to Cody Jinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
My friend turned me onto this and i was really surprised it had so few views. It's been in my head for weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PaKF5DOuQg&list=FL_ijBYuV_3tyHiGptsbhoXA&index=15

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

clutchpuck posted:

Introduced me to Cody Jinks.

Cody Jinks is good. It turned me onto Whiskey Myers through his song Ballad of a Southern Man.

It is also cool that they update it fairly often so it stays pretty fresh.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Paper With Lines posted:

Ballad of a Southern Man.
This song gets stuck in my head like nothing else in the past few years.

I've probably played that and Turtles All The Way Down more than a hundred times each this year.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I like the idea behind the Truckers album but the first two songs I've heard have been pretty blah and don't grab me.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I like the idea behind the Truckers album but the first two songs I've heard have been pretty blah and don't grab me.
Yeah that's how I felt about the first one and I'm listening to the second now and it's exactly what I was afraid of from the description of the album posted on the last page. There's no storytelling; it's way too explicit. Like he's just reading a letter your mildly progressive aunt wrote to the local newspaper.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah that's how I felt about the first one and I'm listening to the second now and it's exactly what I was afraid of from the description of the album posted on the last page. There's no storytelling; it's way too explicit. Like he's just reading a letter your mildly progressive aunt wrote to the local newspaper.

Yeah, that mildly progressive aunt is a good description. Their political commentary has always been fantastic because it's been the side effect of telling a great story. It helps put you in the scenario and lets you see the bullshit first hand, coming to your own conclusions, and for the most part said story has always been surrounded by great music. These two tracks just kind of suck.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Buck Owens and Don Rich. imho the best Strat player in country music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATkOnCZPVqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nJUWFKQ9Xo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah, that mildly progressive aunt is a good description. Their political commentary has always been fantastic because it's been the side effect of telling a great story. It helps put you in the scenario and lets you see the bullshit first hand, coming to your own conclusions, and for the most part said story has always been surrounded by great music. These two tracks just kind of suck.
Yeah I'm wondering if the problem isn't that they decided to make a "political album" but that they decided to do so after they've aged out of having any edge.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Lydia Loveless' new album is up on NPR first listen right now if you're into that:

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/11/488660920/first-listen-lydia-loveless-real

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Bonzo posted:

Buck Owens and Don Rich. imho the best Strat player in country music

:eng101: That's actually a Tele, in all its twangy goodness. I agree with everything else you said.

My favorite Buck Owens story is how he realized that if he eliminated the bass from his music it would sound louder on the radio. I could never figure out why the recordings were of such high quality, but had no bass until I heard that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Grrrrrrr. No idea when I typed Strat

Buck's autobiography is a pretty good read and you can really tell how devastated he was when Don died. If you look at Buck's performances after Don's death they just don't have the same feel, almost like he's just going through the motions. When he started playing with Dwight Yoakam a little bit that of spark came back.

Don was also a fiddle player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R8hgCx1xyQ

Buck owned and operated his own studio and tried to get Don to break out on his own as an artist but he was happier just playing in and leading the Buckaroos. Buck did convince him to record a few George Jones songs which they did and for some reason everyone forgot about it. These recordings were found while putting together an anthology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CHEmLU4uBE

Fun fact: Merle Haggard briefly played for Buck and coined the term Buckaroos.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah I'm wondering if the problem isn't that they decided to make a "political album" but that they decided to do so after they've aged out of having any edge.

Yeah, I think you're on to something. I feel that the Truckers, over the last ten years, have put more and more effort into writing Important Lyrics, and less into writing Good Songs.

Dirty South was Peak Truckers, Blessing and a Curse was kinda weak, but forgivable, considering the inter-band turmoil, Brighter had a couple great songs, and everything else since just seems like, instrumentally, the band's just going through the motions.

Similar to what happen to the Replacements.

I'm still stoked to see 'em in October with Lydia Loveless; they always seem to put on a good live show.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
I think English Oceans is as good as anything they've ever done. The work really expands in the live set, though. The title track is a great example. I didn't find the studio cut too compelling but the version on Its Great to Be Alive is a masterpiece. Cooley's little story about Jimmy Carter and the KKK really sets the mood and the extra growling guitar solo nails it into the ground.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, I really enjoyed English Oceans and the songs were even better live. I think it's just a notch below the Southern Rock Opera / Decoration Day / Dirty South tri-fecta, but still fantastic. The whole album seemed to feel like they had come to terms with where they were in life, especially the Cooley songs, and had gelled with the new lineup.

Hopefully the rest of American Band is better than what we've heard. At the very least their live show will be entertaining on this tour as I'm sure the stories behind some of these songs will come out.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Seeing Hayseed Dixie in September, aw yiss

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
So this happen last night in Knoxville

Don't miss them if they come to your town.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

nate fisher posted:

So this happen last night in Knoxville

Don't miss them if they come to your town.

I live in Nashville and have several friends in common with Jasmin from Birdcloud (the young lady in the America pants with the other young lady's face in her crotch) and she's very friendly. Her solo stuff is quite good as well and sounds nothing like Birdcloud.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Is it on Spotify?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Their youtube channel is great.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Caught Corb Lund last Saturday in Eureka, MT. Seen him a couple times in small venues but the best way to experience it is in a horse arena on a dirt floor in the Rocky Mountain foothills. Camped outside the arena, was awoken by the bellows of cows right before dawn.

e/ John Evans played before Corb. That guy is legit.

ee/ pretty sure my head is in this photo

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 25, 2016

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Happy Hippo posted:

I live in Nashville and have several friends in common with Jasmin from Birdcloud (the young lady in the America pants with the other young lady's face in her crotch) and she's very friendly. Her solo stuff is quite good as well and sounds nothing like Birdcloud.

This was quite the controversy behind their show in Knoxville. Basically a super politically correct left-wing female tried to troll them. She got her band on as openers just so she could try to get the show canceled. She even emailed future promoters to tell them that show got cancelled and that they show cancel too. The reason? She claims Birdcloud is a racist band. Well in the end it backfired, because Birdcloud had one their best money nights in ticket and merchandise sales. The Pilot Light was packed like I never seen it before (120+ in what can be described as an awesome seedy punk club). The whole crowd was singing along to every song. You can read on their social media for more information, but it was an awesome unforgettable night.

Also both of them hung after the show with the fans. I got both of their autographs and a kiss from Jasmine. They loving rule.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

hahaha holy poo poo

Sturgill Simpson on Facebook posted:

Many years back, much like Willie and Waylon had years before, Merle Haggard said,
"gently caress this town. I'm moving." and he left Nashville.
According to my sources, it was right after a record executive told him that "Kern River" was a bad song. In the last chapter of his career and his life, Nashville wouldn't call, play, or touch him. He felt forgotten and tossed aside. I always got a sense that he wanted one last hit..one last proper victory lap of his own, and we all know deserved it. Yet it never came. And now he's gone.
Im writing this because I want to go on record and say I find it utterly disgusting the way everybody on Music Row is coming up with any reason they can to hitch their wagon to his name while knowing full and drat well what he thought about them. If the ACM wants to actually celebrate the legacy and music of Merle Haggard, they should drop all the formulaic cannon fodder bullshit they've been pumping down rural America's throat for the last 30 years along with all the high school pageantry, meat parade award show bullshit and start dedicating their programs to more actual Country Music.
While Im venting about the unjust treatment of a bonafide American music legend, I should also add, if for no other reasons than sheer principal and to get the taste I've been choking back for months now out of my mouth, that Merle was supposed to be on the cover of Garden & Gun magazine's big Country Music issue (along with myself) a few months back.
They reached out to both of us in October of last year while I was on a west coast tour. Merle was home off the road so I took a day off and traveled up to Redding.
He was so excited about it and it goes without saying that I was completely beside myself along with my Grandfather who has always been a HUGE Merle fan. We spent the whole day of the interview visiting in his living room with our families and had a wonderful conversation with the journalist. Then we spent about two hours outside being photographed by a brilliant and highly respected photographer named David McClister until Merle had enough...he was still recovering from a recent bout of double pneumonia at the time and it was a bit cold that day on the ranch.
But then at the last minute, the magazine's editor put Chris Stapleton on the cover without telling anyone until they had already gone to print. Don't get me wrong, Chris had a great year and deserves a million magazine covers...but thats not the point.
Its about keeping your word and ethics.
Chris also knows this as he called me personally to express his disgust at the situation. Dude's a class act.
The editor later claimed in a completely bullshit email apology to both Merle's publicist and ours (Chris and I share the same publicist) that they didn't get any good shots that day.
David McClister..
2 hour shoot..
no good photos..
OK buddy,..whatever you say.
Anyway, Merle passed away right after it came out.
Some days, this town and this industry have a way of making we wish I could just go sit on Mars and build glass clocks.
Sturgill
UPDATED:
Shortly after I initially posted this it was announced that Miranda Lambert would be the award recipient.
Before people start chasing clickbait by putting words in my mouth I feel the need to clarify that I was not aware of this at the time of my original post and my words were in no way directed at her. I know that Merle liked and respected her so it's good to see there is at least some blue sky in all of this.
I don't know Miranda nor have I ever met her but something tells me that in her heart, she knows I'm dead on. I am also aware that the ACM is a West Coast organization originally created to recognize West Coast artists like Merle and they have handed Merle many trophies over the years,..even in the last 15 or so mind you. It's also worth noting that the last one was handed to him by none other than Miranda Lambert herself.
But all of this is irrelevant as none of it has anything to do with the original point I was trying to make. My point was that all of these organizations don't walk it like they talk it. I called The ACM out directly because they are simply the latest in a long line of organizations that have done the same since Merle's death...and even before. Showing homage and handing lifetime achievement awards to the greats of yesterday while claiming to uphold and hold dear the original values and integrity of Country music's legacy. Yet these are just hollow words...merely empty semantics. One needs only to look glancingly at the majority of the music that they, along with the CMA's, predominantly choose to recognize and promote at their award shows.
I fully realize that as I type this, meetings and conversations are taking place on music Row to ensure I am blackballed from the industry and that's perfectly fine with me. Im not sure how you can blackball somebody you don't acknowledge in the first place anyway. Yet, even though they mostly go out of their way to ignore artists like myself and Jason Isbell, I assure you they are more than aware of our existence. They are also well aware that we don't need them. Our last albums went to #1 without any help from the Mainstream Country Music establishment...and our next albums will too. With that said, I have no more need to make enemies with these people than I have a need to be their friends. If anything I'm trying to help them. Because more and more everyday, people are waking up to the situation and they are pissed. Perhaps Country Music, especially Nashville, should wake up too before it's too late.
I should also go ahead and add here that whether or not I am nominated for a CMA award this year, I will not be attending the ceremony for no other reason than the fact I already have a sold out show scheduled in Des Moines, Iowa on the night of the awards ceremony and I have no plans to change that.
Mostly though, I just wish Merle was still alive.
I'd love for them to all hear his thoughts on the matter.
P.S. gently caress this town. I'm moving.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Happy Hippo posted:

hahaha holy poo poo

What a loving guy. Dude doesn't give any fucks and his music is awesome. And I agree, wish Merle was here so we could hear what he thinks.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

WOW

I fully realize that as I type this, meetings and conversations are taking place on music Row to ensure I am blackballed from the industry and that's perfectly fine with me. Im not sure how you can blackball somebody you don't acknowledge in the first place anyway. Yet, even though they mostly go out of their way to ignore artists like myself and Jason Isbell, I assure you they are more than aware of our existence. They are also well aware that we don't need them. Our last albums went to #1 without any help from the Mainstream Country Music establishment...and our next albums will too.

owned

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/JasonIsbell/status/770429188247543808

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sturgill was on the WTF Podcast a few months ago and said that Isbell (or at least his management) submitted his album to the CMAs but they rejected it. Says a lot about an industry where an artist has the #1 album on the BILLBOARD COUNTRY CHARTS but they won't even look at him.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Hey stagnant country thread:

I'm heading to Nashville tonight for a conference, then spending the weekend. Despite being the home of much of what's wrong with country, it looks like there are a poo poo-ton of live venues with a bunch of not-poo poo performers.

Anyone know of any place that's an absolute must-do? I've already got Roberts Western World on my short list, but I fear that Broadway is going to be to country as Bourbon Street is to Jazz.

Help my avoid the touristy bullshit and check out some solid places!

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Can't help you except to say wherever you go make sure to yell out "play a loving train song"

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Noticed there was a third track from the upcoming DBT album on Youtube, "Filthy and Fried". Not top-tier material but I think it's better than the first two I heard by a mile. Actually has a melody and it's full of detail, not just a polemic.

eta: Looking back at the last page for the release date (coming Friday) I noticed John Anderson chat -- I once interviewed him on his bus at a random-rear end county fair, had totally forgotten that happened. Super nice guy.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 28, 2016

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Has anyone hear heard The Spectral Light And Moonshine Firefly Snakeoil Jamboree?
I heard them like 4 years ago and I remember liking them, and just yesterday I was listening to Frank Proffitt and heard his version of Tom Dula which reminded me about them.
It's hard to find anything of them to listen to on the internet though.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

NPR posted all of DBT's American Band - http://www.npr.org/2016/09/22/494571497/first-listen-drive-by-truckers-american-band

I just gave it a listen and while there are a few decent tunes (I like Ramon Casiano and Kinky Hypocrite, both Cooley songs) the album just doesn't seem to hit on what the band is trying to say/accomplish because the music is just blah. I dislike most of the Hood songs in particular. However, like an aging pitcher that somehow manages to throw a 99 mph fastball out of nowhere, "Once They Banned Imagine" is a loving fantastic song where Cooley really nails it in talking about the wars following September 11th, at least IMO. I loves me some Mike Cooley when he's on.

Anyways, because this is the Truckers I'll still buy it and give it a fair number of listens. Maybe some of these will grow on me more.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 28, 2016

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

John Prine is on today's WTF podcast.

http://www.wtfpod.com/

Also Margo Price will be on in a few weeks.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I've spun American Band several times now and I gotta say, it's really growing on me. Perhaps I was too dismissive upon the initial listen.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
"American Band" owns. It's a triumph of a record.

As someone born and raised in El Paso, and still lives along the border, "Ramon Casiano" is one hell of a gut punch. I mean, that last loving line. Jesus.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
Check that, I have to say, "Tough to Let Go" really deserved to be on this album. "Baggage" covers some of the same ground but is a weaker song overall and the "sad clown" connotations are a little played out. The Robin Williams connection is especially uncomfortable given what we now know about his struggle with Lewy body disease.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Check out this album from Brent Cobb. Good stuff.

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/29/495458363/first-listen-brent-cobb-shine-on-rainy-day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eeUHjjt_PI

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Finally listened to American Band.

I really like all the Hood songs, the Cooley stuff not as much. I feel like Hood's voice and material work much better with that tone of post-anger defeat and sadness that permeates the album.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Good LORD this new Wovenhand album is outstanding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4p9Iv4agb0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I like American Band more than the past few albums, it's very good, but Isbell leaving really put a dent in the band that hasn't been replaced. They don't play those dirty riffs nearly as much anymore, they mostly just strum their guitars on every song. Which is sad because that's exactly what Isbell left to do?

I think Cooley's work is better in recent years though!

Decoration Day is a perfect song, wish Isbell would an album of that.