Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

It's funny, the first "bug"/feature I ran in with Suse in the late 90s, was Alsa initially setting the mixer to 0 for whatever reason. Ah memories.

e: this wasn't obvious from the gui mixer controls they gave you. the slider to change that was configurable via a different gui alsa control.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

mike12345 posted:

It's funny, the first "bug"/feature I ran in with Suse in the late 90s, was Alsa initially setting the mixer to 0 for whatever reason. Ah memories.

e: this wasn't obvious from the gui mixer controls they gave you. the slider to change that was configurable via a different gui alsa control.

this was the default behaviour until at least 2005 or so lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

BlueZ and Pulseaudio has surpassed windows in how neatly audio setups works

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ahmeni posted:

it still is if you use alsa directly and not using alsa-state.service/alsa-restore.service (default on)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

knowing how many people compute on busted rear end hardware and how many linux users are satisfied with barely-configured half-working poo poo, that's probably a sane rationale

you won't accidentally blow out the $10 garage sale speakers you use if you default volume to zero every time the output switches

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

reminder that the man who finally made linux audio work is basically viewed as the antichrist

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Breakfast All Day posted:

reminder that the man who finally made linux audio work is basically viewed as the antichrist

??

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Breakfast All Day posted:

that's the only conceivable way they could have done it so

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

i'm guessing he didn't follow their rules on how code should look and be written

despite them being completely wrong on a few points

some of them i do like though

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/CodingStyle

found it

FOLLOW THESE OR YOU'RE LITERALLY HITLER

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Oh it's not Torvalds that has issues with him, it's more the UNIX zealots that for some reason want Linux to be a clone of a 1979 bsd which is not too far from modern bsd anyway lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Apocadall posted:

found it

lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Celexi posted:

Oh it's not Torvalds that has issues with him, it's more the UNIX zealots that for some reason want Linux to be a clone of a 1979 bsd which is not too far from modern bsd anyway lol

of course, actual BSD is expecting to follow the lead of the world's most advanced operating system and adopt launchd and Mach IPC instead of systemd and DBus IPC

can't wait to see what "rc.d and Unix domain sockets are all you should ever need" zealots show up as a result of that

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Apocadall posted:

found it

but pulseaudio follows that coding style

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Suspicious Dish posted:

but pulseaudio follows that coding style

the devil assumes pleasing forms

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
computers should be seen and not heard

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

linus had a beef with kay sievers, not poettering

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1404.0/01331.html

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

Man Impressed When Linux Audio Works Correctly

unironically yes, especially it being super easy to pair a laptop with a bluetooth audio device, and the audio system automatically doing the right thing

hell i would expect windows to gently caress this up, and had no confidence that this would work, let alone be trivial to do by just using the bluetooth GUI

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Audio is mostly a problem because 10 different people tried to fix it at the same time, and they all had subtly different APIs and interaction methods. And then applications had to write to 10 different APIs, and some of them got it wrong.

PulseAudio tried to mediate -- it had plugins and wrappers for basically every API, so if you wrote to ALSA, OSS, or (lol) ESD, it should just work. It got really close. But even then, it took years for a lot of the broken apps to get fixed.

The wine / ALSA / Pulse interaction is extremely notable. WINE had a bug where it stomped on buffers before they were fully played. ALSA mostly worked OK because of *its* own bug where it didn't recycle buffers and they would just leak forever (lol). When Pulse wrote its ALSA plugin to implement the ALSA API, it didn't reimplement this bug, causing WINE audio to crackle. Over five years of everybody blaming everybody else. I sat next to the engineer that had to track this down and fix all the bugs all throughout when I was at Red Hat. A sad man.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
added fun: wine did not have a native pulseaudio driver

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i like the part where at one point the alsa library contained a small lisp interpreter because reasons

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
alisp still exists. Also, it's not one lisp interpreter, but two.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

alisp still exists. Also, it's not one lisp interpreter, but two.

two?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
This is because when Kay made fun of it a few years ago, I googled around to find alsalisp. I showed it to Kay, and he said "er, I was talking about their configuration syntax". Turns out there's two. One for device configuration/profiles, one for user configuration.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The two are also incompatible in weird ways and have different syntaxes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

why

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

that's the unix philosophy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

i don't have answers

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the JACK Audio Connection Kit

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ahmeni posted:

is the address i sent your secret santa stuff too in july still correct? I've finally acquired the last gift

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is the address i sent your secret santa stuff too in july still correct? I've finally acquired the last gift

jesus christ dude

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ive spent an hour trying to compile a loving media player because linux apparently cant do video because the year is 1976

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

try fedora, they said. i'd already be done with watching a single video on gentoo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

no, they meant the hat because you're a goon linux idiot hellfucker

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yup, send away

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

it's a symptom of open sores and it was common in the older generations. yaml was engineered as a vaccine as it is just slightly programmatic enough to allow developers to build up a resistance

please vaccinate your devs. nobody deserves to lose a family member to ebnf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

angry afternoon update: got tired after 3 hours of attempts to properly build ffmpeg, added some rpmfusion repo and just dnf'd poo poo :downs:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

kalstrams posted:

angry afternoon update: got tired after 3 hours of attempts to properly build ffmpeg, added some rpmfusion repo and just dnf'd poo poo :downs:

i have compiled ffmeg a lot of times, perhaps i can be of help to you

it was 4 years ago in osx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
uhh compiling ffmpeg isn't that hard