Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Reverand maynard posted:

being able to kill dudes at ranges they can't effectively return fire is pretty dope

Literally the Air Force and Navy concept of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ghetto wormhole posted:

The Libyans made the best homemade poo poo.

The Iranians managed to hack together Hawk SAMs into AAMs carried by the remaining Tomcats they've kept flying by constant cannibalization. That's pretty McGuyver.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Assuming they work.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Reverand maynard posted:

So I'm not confused, a frag sleeve adds fragmentation to the entire length of the missile, yes?

no, it's typically just wrapped around the warhead section. This is a pretty good picture:

it's right where the middle yellow stripe is

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I bet they tried it on TOWS but found out it makes them fly off into space or some poo poo.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

ded posted:

I bet they tried it on TOWS but found out it makes them fly off into space or some poo poo.

DARPA is like Kerbal with some bitchin mods

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

iyaayas01 posted:

no, it's typically just wrapped around the warhead section. This is a pretty good picture:

it's right where the middle yellow stripe is

Is it just simply a 'wrap' of metal with like perforation strips running longitudinally or something?

Or :nsa:?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Is it just simply a 'wrap' of metal with like perforation strips running longitudinally or something?

Or :nsa:?

this slideshow has some decent pictures of what one example looks like. Obviously there's a bunch of different approaches depending on your desired target effects....but that's about as specific as I'm comfortable getting about that.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Doesn't seem like it works that well unless you're right near where the sleeve is. Still wouldn't want to be anywhere near a hell fire impact though

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
http://i.imgur.com/alDwaJ1.gifv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JABdS-HN5A

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ded posted:

More likely off the range at Vilseck and into a German school if my time in the 173d taught me anything about TOWs.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

there was a "behind the scenes" of this that someone (Vice I think) did on those guys. They're just so drat excited to be making movies

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

iyaayas01 posted:

there was a "behind the scenes" of this that someone (Vice I think) did on those guys. They're just so drat excited to be making movies

yeah it was vice and the dudes are really loving cool

they just want to make cool movies with their friends and neighbors

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm the guy spraying his AK out the window of his Apache.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrYenko posted:

I'm the guy spraying his AK out the window of his Apache.

I wish I could find it now, but there's a GIF I saw from Syria of a tank slowly driving up to a berm. And then the driver's hatch opens and the driver just starts blindfiring an AK semi-auto over the berm.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

chitoryu12 posted:

I wish I could find it now, but there's a GIF I saw from Syria of a tank slowly driving up to a berm. And then the driver's hatch opens and the driver just starts blindfiring an AK semi-auto over the berm.

Syria is just a really great Desert Combat server played by spastic 7 year olds

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Does that make the US the loving dickhead who memorized the cloud texture on 73 Easting to spawn camp the poo poo out of you with the MRLS/SCUD

It's me I was that dickhead :greenangel:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Bolow posted:

Does that make the US the loving dickhead who memorized the cloud texture on 73 Easting to spawn camp the poo poo out of you with the MRLS/SCUD

It's me I was that dickhead :greenangel:

That or or the guy who keeps getting in the Apache with his buddy and locking down the entire middle area of El Alamein

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Doesn't seem like it works that well unless you're right near where the sleeve is. Still wouldn't want to be anywhere near a hell fire impact though

Saw some light up the mountain in Korea when we were doing a calfex or whatever they are called.

I thought 120mms were the poo poo. Nope, just little pop gun farts next to hellfires

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

this slideshow has some decent pictures of what one example looks like. Obviously there's a bunch of different approaches depending on your desired target effects....but that's about as specific as I'm comfortable getting about that.

How to improve? -> More Frags!!!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
http://i.imgur.com/j3ZtMng.gifv

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
:perfect:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

:flashfap:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

The final solution to the brony question.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFkryh6hC-k&t=24s

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2-YxWkRxk

Fire makes it clean! Speaking of, a while ago I learned about the CBU-55 and how it was a propane fueled incendiary and man now I want to see one of those go off

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Note that even though they call it an FAE in the movie, BLU-82 was just a big barrel of basically ANFO.

quote:

Fire makes it clean! Speaking of, a while ago I learned about the CBU-55 and how it was a propane fueled incendiary and man now I want to see one of those go off

Enh, close enough, BLU-96 test at China Lake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmRASCHJe2Q

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
gone with the blastwave strikes again

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

Capn Beeb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO2-YxWkRxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWeyUTBkTss

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU7YJZaa3DI

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

That's some real-life World of Tanks poo poo right there.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
man that dude is booking it....to where i don't know because all i see is loving desert.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
saudi military lol

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
thats some lovely ground to fight and die over

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
They had a drat good ambush point covered on both sides. Those dudes were hosed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mike-o posted:

man that dude is booking it....to where i don't know because all i see is loving desert.

Kept waiting for the hijacked TIE fighter to swoop in.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ded posted:

They had a drat good ambush point covered on both sides. Those dudes were hosed.

I don't think they were hosed until the one guy broke his ride going over a bump and then got rear-ended by the other guy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

I don't think they were hosed until the one guy broke his ride going over a bump and then got rear-ended by the other guy.

Yeah, it really looked like "when drive through goes wrong."

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Mike-o posted:

Edit:

Who needs dudes on foot to protect a big rear end tank? That's why it's armored!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4RYc5yYvh4

Beeb fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ya drat sucks for those dudes. Was hoping the dude running somehow made it but they circled a body on the ground so yeah probably him

also that humvee bouncing outta that bitch "lol nope" :vapes:

so uh who are the bad guys again, the Saudis..? Comments say a lot of those dudes are from East Asia, Somalia, or poor Arab tribes and not actual Saudis

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 25, 2016