Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
gently caress that guy. Should have said that you hope he shanks every shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Got nothing on Gerina.

Sucks that Lewis was just one stroke from a necklace, but gold disappeared so fast with Park.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

BCRock posted:

That's annoying that you got singled out with the slow play comment, but keep in mind that slow play also kills people's love for the game, so I get why people can be overly pushy about it.

It'd be great actually if there was someone on the first tee box at every course who just said, "Enjoy your round and hurry the gently caress up!" as each group teed off.

Anyway, nice work shooting below your handicap and that's cool that you're able to have your dad and son there with you.

Yeah I totally get why people can be a bit lovely about rate of play. I'm really fortunate that I am able to have these round with my dad and son. Already planning on getting him one of those Moxie sets when he's a little older and I can tell you when we do get him out on the course proper we'll make sure we let the pro know so we go out as late in the day as possible to avoid arseholes like that when he's learning.

Also got out names down for Comp this week, it's a Par event so that's a nice slide back into Comp play rather than playing medal.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 22, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Dimebag posted:

Also got out names down for Comp this week, it's a Par event so that's a nice slide back into Comp play rather than playing medal.

They don't schedule as many Par events at my club now - everyone hates it. It's always Stableford week after week or Monthly Medal stroke round.

I'd like to try out American Foresomes again - you and your partner both hit tee and second shots picking the best of each one before taking it in turns to finish out the hole.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Halo14 posted:

They don't schedule as many Par events at my club now - everyone hates it. It's always Stableford week after week or Monthly Medal stroke round.

I'd like to try out American Foresomes again - you and your partner both hit tee and second shots picking the best of each one before taking it in turns to finish out the hole.

Yeah when I was a young guy playing every week it was always stroke or stableford. I've taken a look through the schedule for comps this year and there is a lot more variety than that ambrose, foresomes once each every 2 months.

I like par though it's basically match play against the course with your handicap, I really enjoy it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yesterday (Sunday), I woke up early and didn't know what to do, so I went out for a round at 10:30am. This was a mistake and I left after 9.

I hit 7 greens and had 3 birdies on a par 5 (tap in), 3 (tap in), and 4 (10 footer).

Those 2 greens I missed? I doubled them both to shoot +1. :downs:

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
On a related note I've had two times when I wanted to let a single play through but both times as they nearly caught up to me/my group they started playing extra balls, looking in the woods for balls, and just generally loving around so there was not a smooth opportunity to let them tee off ahead. Hopefully they were just out for a relaxing round and didn't care.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Summit posted:

On a related note I've had two times when I wanted to let a single play through but both times as they nearly caught up to me/my group they started playing extra balls, looking in the woods for balls, and just generally loving around so there was not a smooth opportunity to let them tee off ahead. Hopefully they were just out for a relaxing round and didn't care.

As a frequent single (the three ball I get hooked up with has played only 9 three weeks in a row), I appreciate the effort. If I see the 4 ball in front of me has another 4 in front of them, there's really no where to go, I'll start playing two balls, and spend 5 minutes putting on the green I just played to kill time/stay loose.

Theoretically, I shouldn't record those rounds for handicap, but I do. I always play my second ball second, no matter where it is, and putt out my "real" ball before putting the other ball at all.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

torgeaux posted:

As a frequent single (the three ball I get hooked up with has played only 9 three weeks in a row), I appreciate the effort. If I see the 4 ball in front of me has another 4 in front of them, there's really no where to go, I'll start playing two balls, and spend 5 minutes putting on the green I just played to kill time/stay loose.

Theoretically, I shouldn't record those rounds for handicap, but I do. I always play my second ball second, no matter where it is, and putt out my "real" ball before putting the other ball at all.

FYI, rounds that you play alone aren't eligible for handicap posting as of this year.

http://www.usga.org/articles/2015/11/2016-handicap-changes--playing-alone.html

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Further proving the USGA's staunch incompetence. Solo rounds are some of my favorites but rarely my best.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It's all about peer review and protecting the handicap system. Do you play 100% by the rules of golf when you play solo and post your score? I don't. I use solo rounds to carry 16 clubs and try new ones out, or take a few extra chips around a green, or take a drop from some questionable GIR that I know if I were playing in a tournament would be marked but isn't, ...etc.

Every other country in the world hasn't allowed solo rounds to be posted for index purposes for decades. The USGA, R&A, and others are trying to unify their handicap systems so your handicap will transfer over to the rest of the world and vice versa, so this was just one step in that direction.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that's a bit annoying but I can understand why they did it.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
I definitely play rounds as a single that are legit by the book but, to your point, I play some that are aren't. I just think you should have the right to determine a round's validity for yourself. The randoms I get paired with at the local muni aren't actually providing any review of my scores and rules etiquette.

You're right that the majority of countries have the same rule in place. And I agree that a global set of rules & a common handicapping system are important to golf. I'd just prefer that solo rounds were okay to post. It's already a system that relies immensely on honor so I guess I don't see how "peer review" is solving your local club's sandbagger issues.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

BCRock posted:

It's all about peer review and protecting the handicap system. Do you play 100% by the rules of golf when you play solo and post your score? I don't.

I mean... isn't golf supposed to be about the honor system regardless? It's not as easy to cheat in a foursome but the type of person who would cheat alone for handicap purposes would probably cheat while playing with other people too. I think it's extremely stupid that you can't count solo rounds anymore.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

pmac posted:

I definitely play rounds as a single that are legit by the book but, to your point, I play some that are aren't. I just think you should have the right to determine a round's validity for yourself. The randoms I get paired with at the local muni aren't actually providing any review of my scores and rules etiquette.

You're right that the majority of countries have the same rule in place. And I agree that a global set of rules & a common handicapping system are important to golf. I'd just prefer that solo rounds were okay to post. It's already a system that relies immensely on honor so I guess I don't see how "peer review" is solving your local club's sandbagger issues.

Agreed. There's no perfect way to do it, but I assume they've figured out that it removes some level of abuse by just making solo rounds ineligible. Sandbaggers will still pad their handicap.

The handicap chair in my club is a nazi about his job though. We have a separate "club index" that only takes into account your club tournament rounds and if it ends up being lower than your GHIN index, you play to that in our events instead. He adjusts people and assesses penalty rounds constantly for people who don't post accurate/timely scores.

It's great because our club tournaments are always competitive, but it makes things a bit harder when we're playing in the inter-league events against other clubs or other outside events with members belong to a club that isn't so diligent about maintaining accurate indexes. One particular club that's always in our pool for the SCGA team play events is actually notorious for encouraging sandbagging within their membership just so they can win that particular event, even though it destroys their actual club tournaments.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Apparently from next year they're going to remove the drop rule and allow you to place the ball? Should speed up play.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
I don't mind the idea of placing the ball but I'm not convinced that two drops then placing the ball takes that much longer. Also placing the ball is a huge advantage over a drop and play as it lies, if anything I'm not a fan of the improvement of a lie even though most courses allow it in fairways as it helps keep the fairways in better condition. Bad lies are just a part of the game and I think in comp or tournament play should always be as it lies but in practice rounds whatever, do what you like but I just see it as something the less scrupulous individuals will take advantage of when you want to have an even playing field.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Both courses I'm a member at have interior OOB on a couple holes to discourage hitting blind tee shots towards/over other holes but every time I play while the leagues are out I see guys completely ignoring the OOB. In my club championship, a guy in my foursome hit his second shot on a par 4 OOB (normal OOB, into the woods that run along the edge of the property) and played it as a hazard instead of OOB. Every tournament I've played in, including competitive Member-Guests and the like, my opponents have announced they're doing gimmes of a certain length at the start of the round or not hitting out of divots in the fairway.

But I can't post a score when I play by myself following every rule meticulously. And people wonder why I don't maintain a handicap despite playing 6-7 days a week lol.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I have an opportunity to go to TPC sawgrass this weekend... for free...but it's the valley course not the stadium. Still not complaining :D

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Farking Bastage posted:

I have an opportunity to go to TPC sawgrass this weekend... for free...but it's the valley course not the stadium. Still not complaining :D

Friend of mine has played both and he says the Valley course is better in every way except for the iconic 17th, he's gone back and played just the Valley course a few times.

Have fun, I'm jealous!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Friend of mine has played both and he says the Valley course is better in every way except for the iconic 17th, he's gone back and played just the Valley course a few times.

Have fun, I'm jealous!

I've heard the same from multiple people that have played both as well.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I'm putting in some serious work on my short game as I've heard Pete Dye likes to make it really hard to get up and down.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm putting in some serious work on my short game as I've heard Pete Dye likes to make it really hard to get up and down.

He does. Short par 4s with postage stamp greens are a signature of Pete Dye courses.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJEXILE DOES SCOTLAND, CHAPTER 3: HI ENSGDT

I posted a few pictures from Carnegie Club at Skibo Castle earlier so some of these are repeats (sorry). But goddamn, this place. This fuckin' place.

I saw this in the halfway house where people leave tags from home courses. This goes out to our guy in Houston, Kameh, I think?

HEY ENSGDT :v: These balls were total rear end and I immediately shanked one into the Dornoch Firth, where it shall live forever among the ducks.

More of this rad as gently caress halfway house.

See those cabinets down below? Those are refrigerators filled with beer, water, pop, lucozade, and candy. Take what you like.

Play at Skibo was awesome in every respect.... except the greens. They'd been dealing with some disease on the greens and while the answer to that is a combination of fertilizer and heat, there has been very little of the latter in Scotland (or at least the Highlands) this summer, which is a shame. They weren't awful, they were firm and ran fairly well but the grass on it itself was pretty rough and made reads harder than they should have been, and your putt would bounce a bit. I'm sure they'll get it cleared up soon and this was probably more just unfortunate timing for our visit. You can see a bit of what I mean above in the 6th picture.

UP NEXT, CHAPTER 4: poo poo I LEARNED

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
Paging MattFL, Paging MattFL (or anyone that's going to be playing golf in the Orlando area before 10/1/16)

I've got a spare voucher for Falcon's Fire golf course I need to get rid of, for the low low price of $27.50. Normally a round there is in the 40-60 range, depending on if you're playing on a weekday or weekend.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

I saw this in the halfway house where people leave tags from home courses. This goes out to our guy in Houston, Kameh, I think?

Hell yeah, man. That's so awesome. Never played HCC, probably never will, but it's always nice to see H-Town repped.

I don't remember seeing something like that at Carnoustie or St. Andrews (or any of the other European courses I played), but I sure wish I had left something like that.

I signed a dollar bill and left it in a pub in Ireland, though.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Even with the greens in kinda rough shape that course looks amazing. I love that style of architecture. And the halfway house gave me a semi so thanks for that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I could honestly just sit in/around that halfway house like all day. It even has a leather couch for christ's sake!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
In the next chapter of "daslog's decent into bad golf" my weekly golf league match started off poorly. After three holes of not being able to hit an iron, I said fuckit and played the next 6 holes with a just 7,8,9,pw, and sw.

3 bogeys and 3 double bogeys was the result, but after about 5 strokes I started to get a feel again for the 7 iron. I think I'm just going to have to accept my golf skills for what they are.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BCRock posted:

FYI, rounds that you play alone aren't eligible for handicap posting as of this year.

http://www.usga.org/articles/2015/11/2016-handicap-changes--playing-alone.html

Yeah, I know. Don't care that much. I'm not having my partners co-sign my rounds anyway, so the difference is theoretical at best. I hate adding 9 hole rounds, so I just add them all. But, if I played 18 alone, I wouldn't add it for handicap, because like others, I'd not play for score, but to test stuff.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Since no one is posting lately, I'll just continue my ramblings.

Check this out. 42 putts! I have the yips pretty bad. Hit some good irons though. Swung the hybrids twice, one of the tee for beautiful draw and the other went totally out of bounds. I've accepted that I'm just not going to be a good golfer and I had a fun time out there.

2 rounds in a row with a birdie!

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
On the bright side you know what to practice. I've gotten the 3 putts down immensely by practicing lag and 3 foot putts exclusively.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Teeing off in the morning at the sawgrass valley course. I found out they are redoing the greens at the stadium course from Bermuda to Tif Eagle. Posting pics like hell tomorrow

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Just got finished with the first comp round back shot a 3- in the Par event. Finished +, Square, -, -, -. So annoyed but just got horrible luck with lies.

The one thing that's given me the super shits is my bloody driver the sure fit screw has broken so I couldn't use it at all on he back 9. Giving up 50 meters per drive makes a huge difference playing into longer holes.

Edit: just got back and took a tool to it, it has just worked itself loose somehow. Also handicap didn't go up so playing to 23 still.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 27, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Dimebag posted:

Just got finished with the first comp round back shot a 3- in the Par event. Finished +, Square, -, -, -. So annoyed but just got horrible luck with lies.

The one thing that's given me the super shits is my bloody driver the sure fit screw has broken so I couldn't use it at all on he back 9. Giving up 50 meters per drive makes a huge difference playing into longer holes.

Edit: just got back and took a tool to it, it has just worked itself loose somehow. Also handicap didn't go up so playing to 23 still.

Is it like my Titleist where it makes a 'click' to lock the shaft in?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Is it like my Titleist where it makes a 'click' to lock the shaft in?

Yeah it clicks in, which I did before I took it to the range last week and was fine for the first 7 holes today. When I went to use it on the 11th it just started jingling. I got it home and tightened it again and it clicked in again, not sure how it worked itself loose but may have been me ensuring I didn't over tighten it. All seems fine now anyway so if it comes loose again I'll panic.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Ah good stuff.

Minus 3 isn't too bad mate. Guess you could put some of it down to not having a driver.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Ah good stuff.

Minus 3 isn't too bad mate. Guess you could put some of it down to not having a driver.

Had the hooks off the tee, managed to not end up in massive trouble but sacrificing a shot a hole for a recovery shot doesn't help.

Monthly medal next week.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 27, 2016

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I don't always cut my Sunday round short. Lower back pain is the worst :(

Had no idea where the ball was going because I was subconsciously avoiding pain. gently caress sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Is the Rickie Fowler mustache going to be the new thing?