Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Peel posted:

Mel Mudkiper I was inspired by your posting in that thread to come here and ask after books by muslim authors, which I will now do: what are some good and/or cool books by muslim authors?

the qur'an

the rubiyat of khayyám

the conference of the birds

the diwan of rumi

several additional centuries of good long form poetry after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Peel posted:

Mel Mudkiper I was inspired by your posting in that thread to come here and ask after books by muslim authors, which I will now do: what are some good and/or cool books by muslim authors?

Novels are a bit hard because Muslim cultures mostly do poetry. Plus, "Muslim writer" is tricky because there are writers who are casually Muslim from being part of a Muslim culture but do not explicitly write about Islam.

For novels, I would recommend Nagib Mahfouz, Nihad Sirees, Alaa Al Aswany, Rabih Alemeddine, and there is an American Rajia Hassib.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 22, 2016

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

DisDisDis posted:

Speaking of Joyce, I've read up to 160 in Ulysses and I'm loving the prose and style but I'm having a hard time getting into anything that's happening in the story. Is there a hook further on or is it never going to grab me if it hasn't yet? I really liked Daedalus on the beach so if it gets really abstract again I might enjoy it more. I've liked Daedalus' scenes a lot more in general and it's been a long stretch of Bloom with the funeral and leaving the newspaper office so maybe once there's more D I'll enjoy it more.

have u read the odyssey recently my man

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

DisDisDis posted:

Speaking of Joyce, I've read up to 160 in Ulysses and I'm loving the prose and style but I'm having a hard time getting into anything that's happening in the story. Is there a hook further on or is it never going to grab me if it hasn't yet? I really liked Daedalus on the beach so if it gets really abstract again I might enjoy it more. I've liked Daedalus' scenes a lot more in general and it's been a long stretch of Bloom with the funeral and leaving the newspaper office so maybe once there's more D I'll enjoy it more.

I'm going to level with you and tell you to just loving finish it

The thing that helped me was how much I liked Dubliners

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

There's not so much really to know about the story in a traditional sense beyond sort of details about the day, the particulars of each character's situation and whatever is there is not exactly spelt out for you. Like I don't know whether you picked up that Bloom has a shrivelled potato in his pocket and Dedalus doesn't have the key to his tower. And that Bloom said something to some guy about a horse in the Gold Cup later in the day. Those are things that are picked up on again and commented upon. Make of that what you will. I would say don't sweat it and just let things wash over you, since the book is never going to be understood 100% by any first time reader. The novel isn't about Joyce proving he was the cleverest little boy there ever was, it's a lot more democratic, believe me.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
gay

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 14, 2019

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

J_RBG posted:

There's not so much really to know about the story in a traditional sense beyond sort of details about the day, the particulars of each character's situation and whatever is there is not exactly spelt out for you. Like I don't know whether you picked up that Bloom has a shrivelled potato in his pocket and Dedalus doesn't have the key to his tower. And that Bloom said something to some guy about a horse in the Gold Cup later in the day. Those are things that are picked up on again and commented upon. Make of that what you will. I would say don't sweat it and just let things wash over you, since the book is never going to be understood 100% by any first time reader. The novel isn't about Joyce proving he was the cleverest little boy there ever was, it's a lot more democratic, believe me.

When he's not doing the 'ineluctable modality of the visual' stuff it's not too difficult outside of a lot of references to Catholicism and Irish figures/lit and old slang I don't get. The style is what I'm enjoying most about it so far. What I'm struggling with is that the goings on throughout the day are pretty boring so far. I know it's never gonna be GR but I guess I'm wondering if it gets less dry.

I got the key but didn't notice the potato, though I took a pretty long break between Bloom beginning the day/going to the funeral and what happened afterward.

I might just have to go with what Twerkteam said though.

Tree Goat posted:

have u read the odyssey recently my man

been a looong time but I read something about a lotus eaters bit and if close references to the odyssey start cropping up more I might get more excited about it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Peel posted:

Leg Over Leg by Ahmad Faris al-Shidyaq sounds absolutely amazing but i haven't read it yet personally because my library ignored my request for it

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
gay

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 14, 2019

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

A human heart posted:

Leg Over Leg by Ahmad Faris al-Shidyaq sounds absolutely amazing but i haven't read it yet personally because my library ignored my request for it

it's good

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
A read bit more and liked it so maybe I'm adjusting. Bloom making fun of policemen and vegetarians was funny.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cool

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
re: muslim authors, along with ones mentioned earlier (esp. Naguib Mahfouz & Orhan Pamuk) def. read Tayeb Salih, his Season of Migration to the North is super short but very intense novel. Ahmadou Kourouma has some great angry, well written stuff about Africa. Sedagh Hedayat is a goon fav., and a good guy to read while tripping. I enjoyed Mohsin Hamid's The Reluctant Fundamentalist, even if I can't say it's Great Literature. Finally, from Central Asia, Chingiz Aytmatov didn't (or couldn't) self-identify as a muslim, but Islam plays an imporant role in his novels (which are fantastic).

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just bought and read Candide from a thrift store. It was short, funny and good. It was like... Not a chore to read at all.

Then I read a bunch of other Voltaire short stories that were included and they were all short sweet and reasonably interesting.

Why don't people write like this after the 17th century. I don't have fond memories of most of that 19th century gothdreadtragichero stuff I had to read for school earlier

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

FieryBalrog posted:

I just bought and read Candide from a thrift store. It was short, funny and good. It was like... Not a chore to read at all.

Then I read a bunch of other Voltaire short stories that were included and they were all short sweet and reasonably interesting.

Why don't people write like this after the 17th century. I don't have fond memories of most of that 19th century gothdreadtragichero stuff I had to read for school earlier

Here's a shocker: high school doesn't give you a very broad view of the history of literature. In fact it gives you a very, very, very, very [...] narrow view of the history of literature. I'm glad that you've noticed that classic books can be fun, but this kind of generalisations probably aren't helping you find more good stuff to read. (I mostly like goth dead stuff so I can't really recommend anything. Jonathan Swift?)

I've also read The Perfumed Garden.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

FieryBalrog posted:

My favorite Voltaire is the story where a giant from Betelgeuse meets a giant from Jupiter and they come to Earth to make fun of Earth philosophers.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

DisDisDis posted:

You are the exact opposite of me. Couldn't stand the Proteus chapter, didn't like Stephen but man that Bloom was just a wonderful character. It helps that we are privy to his every thought but he seems like such a good human being. Another thing to add to keep you moving along is that each chapter is written in a different style so if you don't like one of the chapters you can at least be happy knowing that the next will be different.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

You are the exact opposite of me. Couldn't stand the Proteus chapter, didn't like Stephen but man that Bloom was just a wonderful character. It helps that we are privy to his every thought but he seems like such a good human being. Another thing to add to keep you moving along is that each chapter is written in a different style so if you don't like one of the chapters you can at least be happy knowing that the next will be different.

i read portrait of the artist several years before i read ulysses, so i clung to stephen as a familiar face, even though the connections between his characterization there and in ulysses are somewhat abstract. eventually, as the novel went on, and i became more used to bloom's circumstances as well as his common decency, i came to enjoy the bloom sections much more than the ones with stephen. in that sense, you could say i was a late bloomer.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm a insanely smart guy so I most strongly identify with Dedalus.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I prefer Buck, who's just there to gently caress

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I like Stephen b/c I'm James Joyce IRL.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i just wanted to make a pun...

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014
Ulysses' first four chapters were great for me cause at first Stephen was pretty cool, I enjoyed the tie to Portrait and reading about his mindset, but then his angsting and pretensions just started to loving get to me. And then you get to Bloom's first chapters and his internal monologue of "Oh hey, cat. Mmm, breakfast meat. What a nice day" is just such a loving breath of fresh air

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I think that part of the problem is that I read Portrait of the Artist as a teenager without any formal support and didn't really like it. I liked Dubliners so I should probably try reading Portrait again.

It's not so much against Stephen but just how much I loved Bloom.

And Kill Bill references are good

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The Secret Agent is basically a poor man's Man Who Was Thursday.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You've got a hole in your brain.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

CestMoi posted:

The Secret Agent is basically a poor man's Man Who Was Thursday.

Never read Man Who Was Thursday but I ways really appreciated Secret Agent cause it felt like Conrad loving around outside his comfort zone and telling a compelling story in the process. Plus I love the way he skewers anarchists who really haven't changed at all in a century other than declining in relevance

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
just got done the diary part of if on a winters night a traveler. laying it on a bit thick there

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peel posted:

new twist on an old thread favorite: read the koran

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
at minimal a passing familiarity with the Koran will help you out alot understanding Islamic writers (well duh) even though those who are not actually muslim at all (hedyat) in the same way having a passing familiarity with the Bible helps out in western fiction alot.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
It's also much shorter than the Bible so you can skim it quickly & fake it convincingly for the rest of your life

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Don't bother reading the Quran just read Conference of the Birds with all the cool footnotes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Mason & Dixon is cool although not much happens. The language is excellent and its pretty funny too. Im about 25% through it atm

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Peel posted:

Late to the party but check out A Thousand Rooms of Dreams and Fear by Atiq Rahimi and The Corpse Exhibition by Hassan Blasim.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

CestMoi posted:

Don't bother reading the Quran just read Conference of the Birds with all the cool footnotes.

Was just looking at this. Is there a translation you like?

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

DoctorG0nzo posted:

You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I hosed them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole. It is wonderful to gently caress a farting woman when every gently caress drives one out of her. I think I would know Nora’s fart anywhere. I think I could pick hers out in a roomful of farting women. It is a rather girlish noise not like the wet windy fart which I imagine fat wives have. It is sudden and dry and dirty like what a bold girl would let off in fun in a school dormitory at night. I hope Nora will let off no end of her farts in my face so that I may know their smell also.

the craziest part about those James Joyce erotic letters is how well-written they are. our first reaction is repulsion, but over the years, as i've returned to those letters, that feeling has gone away. i just like them now.

it actually reminds me of the discussion of Gravity's Rainbow from a few pages back. i think sometimes GR gets lumped into the category of 'i dare you to read this hosed up poo poo' fiction with, like, Chuck Palahniuk. and i don't think it belongs in that category. it's like how people get convinced to play Dwarf Fortress (the video game equivalent of GR, obviously) by hearing from someone 'dude, you have to play this game, your dwarves can all get dismembered!' and then they play it, and hopefully find out that it's much more than just a series of ridiculous events. i wonder if we maybe do GR a disservice when we focus so much on the more extreme things that happen.

but i guess those descriptions of disparate scenes out of context are convincing people to read GR, so who am i to question it.

also i was a bit troubled by the scene with Slothrop and Bianca when i first read it, but reading about how Bianca is clearly actually older than Slothrop thinks she is made it easier to swallow.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Schmischmenjamin posted:

the craziest part about those James Joyce erotic letters is how well-written they are. our first reaction is repulsion, but over the years, as i've returned to those letters, that feeling has gone away. i just like them now.

it actually reminds me of the discussion of Gravity's Rainbow from a few pages back. i think sometimes GR gets lumped into the category of 'i dare you to read this hosed up poo poo' fiction with, like, Chuck Palahniuk. and i don't think it belongs in that category. it's like how people get convinced to play Dwarf Fortress (the video game equivalent of GR, obviously) by hearing from someone 'dude, you have to play this game, your dwarves can all get dismembered!' and then they play it, and hopefully find out that it's much more than just a series of ridiculous events. i wonder if we maybe do GR a disservice when we focus so much on the more extreme things that happen.

but i guess those descriptions of disparate scenes out of context are convincing people to read GR, so who am i to question it.

also i was a bit troubled by the scene with Slothrop and Bianca when i first read it, but reading about how Bianca is clearly actually older than Slothrop thinks she is made it easier to swallow.

This is pretty goony, but I get it

Also, humor can be beautiful and intelligent

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Schmischmenjamin posted:

I'm sorry for your post.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

Was just looking at this. Is there a translation you like?

I've only read the Penguin one, but it's very nice. The footnotes are really good, even if you're not at all familiar with Islamic theology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

I'm sorry for your post.

:vince: