Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Stinky_Pete posted:

So you're saying by the time my sign-on stock has finished vesting (4 years), I'll be offered additional RSUs across my career there?

Yes, I've got a refresh every year since I started.

Ymmv but stocks make up a significant amount of my compensation (about a third this year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Stinky_Pete posted:

So you're saying by the time my sign-on stock has finished vesting (4 years), I'll be offered additional RSUs across my career there?
I don't mean to trash your plan or anything, but that is the most likely case. Leaving a big company after a few years means leaving future-money RSU's on the table. For small things, you can negotiate it as part of your sign-on at the next place (e.g. tell the new recruiter "They paid for my schooling, I owe $12k if I leave within a year" and watch your bonus bump up $12k) but after 5 years at a big place you're probably going to lose out on several tens of thousands of dollars of stock when you leave.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So if I'm at a large established company with a lot of stock stuff (finance/insurance), is it in my interest to stick around as long as possible?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

JawnV6 posted:

I don't mean to trash your plan or anything, but that is the most likely case. Leaving a big company after a few years means leaving future-money RSU's on the table. For small things, you can negotiate it as part of your sign-on at the next place (e.g. tell the new recruiter "They paid for my schooling, I owe $12k if I leave within a year" and watch your bonus bump up $12k) but after 5 years at a big place you're probably going to lose out on several tens of thousands of dollars of stock when you leave.

I wouldn't say that you're losing anything in most situations. Unvested stock is compensation for the year it vests in so you can just compare total comp and make your decision based on that and any other factors. The only time I'd say your losing anything is if there is a vesting cliff and you leave before it as you've then worked for some amount of time and not received all your compensation for it. My understanding is that generally refreshes do not have a cliff so the cliff normally only applies if you leave within a certain period of when you were hired.

If you work for a large public company, it is generally very easy to calculate total compensation and then compare that. Where it gets more difficult is if the company is private and/or issuing options as there may be restrictions or requirements on what happens when you leave and there is also the issue of dilution if the company is going through series funding.

asur fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 22, 2016

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

So if I'm at a large established company with a lot of stock stuff (finance/insurance), is it in my interest to stick around as long as possible?

Not specifically. It's a type of handcuffs. I make an obscene amount from my bonus and RSUs each quarter. However, I still evaluate other options on an ongoing basis. If you get even 15% of your salary as an RSU grant staying for a full 4 year cliff means that you'd need to increase your salary by 60% to not lose money in that first year. That's a really big bridge to cross and that's why it exists.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Not specifically. It's a type of handcuffs. I make an obscene amount from my bonus and RSUs each quarter. However, I still evaluate other options on an ongoing basis. If you get even 15% of your salary as an RSU grant staying for a full 4 year cliff means that you'd need to increase your salary by 60% to not lose money in that first year. That's a really big bridge to cross and that's why it exists.

This makes no sense. You'd need to increase your salary by 60% over four years or just 15% in your example. You don't need to increase it by 60% to have the same effective total compensation. RSUs are not handcuffs unless there is a cliff as they don't effectively defer compensation.

I do want to clarify that most if not all initial grants will have a cliff which do act as golden handcuffs to keep you at that company for the duration of the cliff. I think the typical grant is a one year cliff and four year duration though I believe Amazons is different.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pollyanna posted:

No. It's in their best interest, and yearly equity refreshes on a 4 year vesting schedule are part of the retention plan.

asur posted:

I wouldn't say that you're losing anything in most situations. Unvested stock is compensation for the year it vests in so you can just compare total comp and make your decision based on that and any other factors.
This is literally where my example of an Amazon employee asking for $300k+ tcomp comes from. Recruiter: "C'mon, name a number!" "Look, I'm not some vested Amazonian asking for $300k tcomp, just 'normal' for the position, area, and my experience." You get stupid numbers that nobody will come up to. Plus, if you're getting taxed at your nominal rate for RSU's you're messing it up in a whole other fashion. And if it's a matter of "if I quit before the end of Q2, I won't get 50% of this year's RSU'S" then that really looks like a cliff to me.

asur posted:

If you work for a large public company, it is generally very easy to calculate total compensation and then compare that. Where it gets more difficult is if the company is private and/or issuing options as there may be restrictions or requirements on what happens when you leave and there is also the issue of dilution if the company is going through series funding.
If your opinion on dilution matters, it's safe to say you're not getting advice on the SA forums.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

asur posted:

This makes no sense. You'd need to increase your salary by 60% over four years or just 15% in your example. You don't need to increase it by 60% to have the same effective total compensation. RSUs are not handcuffs unless there is a cliff as they don't effectively defer compensation.

I do want to clarify that most if not all initial grants will have a cliff which do act as golden handcuffs to keep you at that company for the duration of the cliff. I think the typical grant is a one year cliff and four year duration though I believe Amazons is different.

Year 1 you get a 4 year grant where each quarter is 3.75% of your salary with a 1 year cliff.
Year two you get the same grant and 18.75 lump sum and 3 vests of 3.75%
Year 3 you get a lump sum of 22.5% and 3 vests of 7.5%
Continue to year 4 when the first grant will expire at the end of the year.

As long as you are getting new grants each year your income from grants continues to rise for the length of the grants then stablizes. After the full length its substantial.

Edit: fixed a case I used grant when I meant a quarterly vest.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I have no idea how the other "big, good" tech companies do it (I'm thinking mainly Facebook here)
IIRC my process at Facebook was just about a week from interview to offer.

I've given some though to tossing my res over to Facebook but I don't really want to work on Enterprise team which fits my skill set best as far as my location goes.
Unless you come in explicitly pre-allocated, you can generally choose what team to join at fb, if they have open headcount and you aren't completely unqualified. Try it.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Unless you come in explicitly pre-allocated, you can generally choose what team to join at fb, if they have open headcount and you aren't completely unqualified. Try it.

I'm certainly open to the idea. Facebook was my #1 company going into the search but I got kinda discouraged when I saw that literally all of the positions I was interested in here in NYC weren't at all related to the experience I have and I don't think I want to relocate right now.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
As a programmer not working at the big guys:
Why aren't more people outraged at the wages of average companies? Those bonuses and stock options are insane for regular jobs. Googlers are reliably making 2x-3x our total comps while reaping untold networking & career benefits. I'm sure they're great at Compsci 101 exam questions and all but it's infuriating to know that the "market" values their work leaps and bounds above mine. Is there any rational response other than devoting huge amounts of my free time to studying Cracking the Coding Interview and breaking into the anointed-programmer club?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Why aren't more people outraged at the wages of average companies? Those bonuses and stock options are insane for regular jobs. Googlers are reliably making 2x-3x our total comps while reaping untold networking & career benefits. I'm sure they're great at Compsci 101 exam questions and all but it's infuriating to know that the "market" values their work leaps and bounds above mine. Is there any rational response other than devoting huge amounts of my free time to studying Cracking the Coding Interview and breaking into the anointed-programmer club?

You could try organizing some labor.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Analytic Engine posted:

:shrug:. Spending your free time studying interview books probably wouldn't be a good route to try and take.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Analytic Engine posted:

Googlers are reliably making 2x-3x our total comps while reaping untold networking & career benefits.
Yeah it's great! I mean, most of those jobs are in expensive places too, and that's kind of a bummer. But overall A++++ would work for Google again.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

Is there any rational response other than devoting huge amounts of my free time to studying Cracking the Coding Interview and breaking into the anointed-programmer club?
I came out of undergrad at a decent state school. Without having a pedigree/networking of a top tech or ivy it was 15 years of lame jobs, a MS, and opportunistic jumps with an eye towards resume building before I got in as a run-of-the-mill SWE at Big G. It most definitely sucks to see those with better fortune jumping right into such a role - or better - at the start of their careers; however you can't let that stop you.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Analytic Engine posted:

Why aren't more people outraged at the wages of average companies?

What's there to be outraged about?

You're a crazy person, basically.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Analytic Engine posted:

work for a company that values you appropriately. google and facebook are at the peak of employee comp but they are not alone there. plenty of people are making $160k-300k total comp at companies you have never heard of

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Cicero posted:

Yeah it's great! I mean, most of those jobs are in expensive places too, and that's kind of a bummer. But overall A++++ would work for Google again.

Yeah it sure is fun paying rent in NYC

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Analytic Engine posted:

Why aren't more people outraged at the wages of average companies?

Because unlike a lot of companies, Facebook and Google and Apple and Amazon and Microsoft are actual businesses, and not glorified passion projects or incredibly speculative ventures, and their existences are not hilariously dependent in the short-term on market trends.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

the talent deficit posted:

work for a company that values you appropriately. google and facebook are at the peak of employee comp but they are not alone there. plenty of people are making $160k-300k total comp at companies you have never heard of

Yeah, my last job at financial company you've never heard of, my total comp hit $300k a few years. Most of that was from getting a shitload of stock grants when it was cheap and then having it go up 2-3x though.

Also places like NYC and SF are expensive as gently caress, so paired with demand for talented tech workers being way higher than supply, you can negotiate a lot more.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Paolomania posted:

I came out of undergrad at a decent state school. Without having a pedigree/networking of a top tech or ivy it was 15 years of lame jobs, a MS, and opportunistic jumps with an eye towards resume building before I got in as a run-of-the-mill SWE at Big G. It most definitely sucks to see those with better fortune jumping right into such a role - or better - at the start of their careers; however you can't let that stop you.

Nicely done, sounds like you had a smart mindset and worked hard enough that they couldn't deny your ouptut.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Yeah don't be outrage at other people making more money than you, would you wish they make less ? That wouldn't be a zen set of mind and can only make you unhappy.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm far from making 150k a year and I know I'm at least as good as some of the people here working at the big tech co but that's what the market is where I live. I could get more but I'd need to move to where they pay that much...

Anyway I'm happy for you guys making bank.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I messed up the second part of a problem today that was probably like a 2.5 to 3 on a scale of 1 to 5 for hardness and all I can really do is laugh at myself. There really is no substitute for actually doing these interviews, regardless of how much practice you do.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'm more outraged that the dude that's got a lukewarm IQ and just craps out mediocre code makes something shy of six figures doing a 9-to-5. The worst secretaries I've seen in government hardly have any different pay than some of the best people I've ever seen in HR public or private (40% pay gap between the best and the worst is an insult to people that work really hard and have talent IMO). When it comes to per-employee productivity, I could reasonably argue that many Fortune 500 companies destroy the economic potential of many high-earners while boosting those that just aren't even that great - the same accusations most capitalists make against unions.

I'm sure that Gayle Lackman lady is making more off of books than her actual software job by now given how absurd our industry is for software interviews and it's probably the closest thing to "here's how to get a job at a non-sucky tech company if you don't want to just keep pressing your luck or wasting your time in crappy non-tech companies for a decade." But them's the breaks at this point, sadly. You can hate the game all you want but you have to play ball to ever win.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
As long as they learn eventually, I'll take a crappy developer that I can mentor and sit with for an hour to do a review of their code and teach them things over a glorified babysitter like our head of HR who makes over $200k or "account managers" that make $120 for sending loving polite emails. Even our lowest engineers make commits that further our business exponentially and I know this because I started two and a half years ago as one of them. Now I passed that off to the juniors, I help them with it, and I work on something more volatile and get help from my seniors.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

necrobobsledder posted:

DAE think capitalism is unfair

If you think you should make more than a mediocre developer with a lukewarm IQ, what's keeping you?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I think he's complaining that mediocre programmers are paid as much as they are? Not really about himself versus them.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
The problem is the assumption that programming ability is the only skill that makes someone a good developer, especially in a large company. The fact is an average programmer thats a good communicator and teammate is much more valuable than a 10x programming savant thats impossible to talk to or work with to the majority of employers.

Failing to understand the importance of soft skills is what keeps most developers from succeeding in their careers as well as they could.

a glorified babysitter like our head of HR who makes over $200k or "account managers" that make $120 for sending loving polite emails

This for instance demonstrates a pretty immature understanding of how a company functions as a whole. Seriously, go get lunch with one of those people sometime and ask them about their job and what they do all day. You'll likely find it interesting, have a better understanding for the value those people provide, and maybe learn a bit that will make you more effective in your job.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
A good programming interview question is one that almost nobody can solve optimally in the time allowed without communicating with the person who knows about it

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

pr0zac posted:

This for instance demonstrates a pretty immature understanding of how a company functions as a whole. Seriously, go get lunch with one of those people sometime and ask them about their job and what they do all day. You'll likely find it interesting, have a better understanding for the value those people provide, and maybe learn a bit that will make you more effective in your job.
Our company's public speaking club suckered the site HR lady to explain her life at work and it was very illuminating. There's the textbook life of HR, and then there was her life that included things like:

1. Somebody complaining that they went into the bathroom and discovered somebody using their stall. The gall!
2. Having to explain to a manager that his teammates were leaving because he was constantly yelling at them. That manager then yelled at her about that being impossible.
3. Making sure we didn't run over each other in the parking lot, which was little surprise to anybody.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
And tangentially related for those who don't do anything on LinkedIn anymore, look at dis Marissa Mayer resume:

Forgetting the completely fluffy BS that anyone not a celebrity can put down and still be taken seriously, the layout is interesting. Makes me wonder if I should go back to the 2-column resume layout I used for papers in LaTeX because the whitespace use seems more interesting than the usual boring resume.

The Laplace Demon posted:

If you think you should make more than a mediocre developer with a lukewarm IQ, what's keeping you?
I absolutely do better than the bottom 50% programmers and I've turned down places where I would be working daily with incompetent programmers, I'm not demoaning my personal situation at all. In fact, I'm probably closer to your attitude than you realize. I'm complaining about wage compression being a trend both in the presence of unions and even with one of the strongest capital policies in the world - this is a bit contrary to the political messaging that it's what unions will do. What software engineer jobs have in common is that they are all individual contributor jobs while managers (thanks to Taylorism institutionalizing managerial worship) have a huge range of compensation oftentimes without any reliable measures resulting in lost returns for investors.

pr0zac posted:

Yeah, being antagonistic about other workers and disciplines is not a step towards a fulfilling career let alone one that's remotely happy (ok, if you're an emotionally stunted twat that likes to abuse people, maybe, but you probably have other issues that keep you from being happy whatever you do). The truth is that there are bad and mediocre people across different fields and it is not fair to judge people in those disciplines based upon... average samples. The average manager is incompetent technically btw (literally no training standards, zero correlation of KPIs to company performance, no measured skills, etc.) so it's not like engineers are exempt from crappy hiring processes and rubrics either. It's easier to evaluate a programmer in skills than it is to determine whether someone would be a good HR manager for a small company.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

necrobobsledder posted:

It's easier to evaluate a programmer in skills than it is to determine whether someone would be a good HR manager for a small company.

Yet a majority of places are still poo poo at it and still poo poo at evaluating someone's worth to a company even after they're hired and therefore you get bad hires and lowball offers and awful raises and payscales that aren't at all reflective of what someone brings.. which was kinda the point I was trying to make with some places realizing how invaluable it is to have good people paid well.

pr0zac posted:

Seriously, go get lunch with one of those people sometime and ask them about their job and what they do all day.

I did, many times as I actually dated one of those people for like 2 years. 0/10 would not recommended dating a coworker.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I've only worked at tiny companies / startups and I would kill to have a decent manager / HR person / admin professional / etc. etc. etc. Companies created by people with the "Management / soft skills / anything but programming is useless!" attitude who wonder why they have high turnover and bad work relationships.

I would never want a role like that for myself, but they're insanely valuable in skilled hands.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

necrobobsledder posted:

And tangentially related for those who don't do anything on LinkedIn anymore, look at dis Marissa Mayer resume:

Forgetting the completely fluffy BS that anyone not a celebrity can put down and still be taken seriously, the layout is interesting. Makes me wonder if I should go back to the 2-column resume layout I used for papers in LaTeX because the whitespace use seems more interesting than the usual boring resume.
I absolutely do better than the bottom 50% programmers and I've turned down places where I would be working daily with incompetent programmers, I'm not demoaning my personal situation at all. In fact, I'm probably closer to your attitude than you realize. I'm complaining about wage compression being a trend both in the presence of unions and even with one of the strongest capital policies in the world - this is a bit contrary to the political messaging that it's what unions will do. What software engineer jobs have in common is that they are all individual contributor jobs while managers (thanks to Taylorism institutionalizing managerial worship) have a huge range of compensation oftentimes without any reliable measures resulting in lost returns for investors.
Yeah, being antagonistic about other workers and disciplines is not a step towards a fulfilling career let alone one that's remotely happy (ok, if you're an emotionally stunted twat that likes to abuse people, maybe, but you probably have other issues that keep you from being happy whatever you do). The truth is that there are bad and mediocre people across different fields and it is not fair to judge people in those disciplines based upon... average samples. The average manager is incompetent technically btw (literally no training standards, zero correlation of KPIs to company performance, no measured skills, etc.) so it's not like engineers are exempt from crappy hiring processes and rubrics either. It's easier to evaluate a programmer in skills than it is to determine whether someone would be a good HR manager for a small company.

I would never want to work with you based on your writing. I bet you're insufferable.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

You sound like you subscribe to the Great Man theory of innovation. I see where you're coming from, but also think you're dead wrong.

Blinkz0rz posted:

I would never want to work with you based on your writing. I bet you're insufferable.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

You sound like you subscribe to the Great Man theory of innovation. I see where you're coming from, but also think you're dead wrong.

More like, the competent man theory of innovation.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Consistent with other attributions to me based upon typically reckless online trolling tendencies, this is largely incorrect. However, I will apologize for trolling with useless walls of text when some people take threads like this seriously.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

God forbid people take a thread where career advice is asked for in earnest seriously.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

Consistent with other attributions to me based upon typically reckless online trolling tendencies, this is largely incorrect. However, I will apologize for trolling with useless walls of text when some people take threads like this seriously.

:master: It was just a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

You say that like your posting trends are worth noticing.

Paolomania posted:

God forbid people take a thread where career advice is asked for in earnest seriously.