Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

If you don't comment on it the people who don't know might not catch it :ssh:

You literally edited the quote to make it glaringly obvious, you should change your post just as much as the other poster should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Sorry. It has been a month, I figured people didn't really care that much about something like that. :(

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

How do you unlock better versions of craftable decorations? Is it like Hunter Arts where they're tied to specific missions?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Crowetron posted:

How do you unlock better versions of craftable decorations? Is it like Hunter Arts where they're tied to specific missions?

You have to have encountered the monster whose parts make those decorations.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Alxprit posted:

Sorry. It has been a month, I figured people didn't really care that much about something like that. :(

Erring on the side of mysterious whimsy is a good idea when it comes to weird Japanese poo poo

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Kiggles posted:

Do not forget about elemental defense. Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but I am finding that even a little bit goes a lot farther than it used to in other games. I wonder how many blademasters 1hko by that attack didn't also have garbage fire res. If you are negative even 3 or 4 points you're going to take substantially more damage from that element than you would at just +3 or 4.

That is an absurdly powerful attack though, so gunner def just might not be up to it. Figure out how to stagger it more reliably and eat for moxie/insurance.

Elemental defense is the one stat in this game that's actually easy to understand. 5 resist means you take 5% less damage, and -5 resist means you take 5% more damage. That means that a few points is almost certainly not saving you from an attack on its own.

Even with the -10 fire resist on the Silverwind Narga armor, that attack doesn't one-shot me (even the hyper version, though it goes through like 90% of my health). It might just be a matter of getting your defense up.

Crowetron posted:

I think they follow the same rules as most craftable gear - get the first ingredient in its recipe and it will show up.

Farali
Feb 18, 2012

Triarii posted:

Elemental defense is the one stat in this game that's actually easy to understand. 5 resist means you take 5% less damage, and -5 resist means you take 5% more damage. That means that a few points is almost certainly not saving you from an attack on its own.

Even with the -10 fire resist on the Silverwind Narga armor, that attack doesn't one-shot me (even the hyper version, though it goes through like 90% of my health). It might just be a matter of getting your defense up.

I think they follow the same rules as most craftable gear - get the first ingredient in its recipe and it will show up.

Is it the blademaster armor? I use the silverwind gunner a lot against him.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
So, that ending.

I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't that. :allears:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Farali posted:

Is it the blademaster armor? I use the silverwind gunner a lot against him.

Yeah, silverwind blademaster. Silverwind gunner is almost certainly in one-shot death range against him.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
At least one mat for deco's (crit up) comes from the arena too. That one is Beachy, might be others. The tickets from there make a few random odds and ends.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Triarii posted:

Yeah, silverwind blademaster. Silverwind gunner is almost certainly in one-shot death range against him.

Silverwind has the shittiest armor of all the Variant sets, so this is not surprising.

Dem skillz, doe...

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

loving hell, Hyper Glavenus hits like a speeding train even with Dreadqueen armor.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Haste rain is too much fun btw.

Also can you get that load up +10 had piece that you have to do arena quest to get before hr 7

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Nope, the Brachydios arena quest requires completing a 7★ quest to unlock.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Finally picked up Cross.

As I Gunlancer, I really appreciate the MH team's commitment to always taking the phallic metaphors one step further with each game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mr Confetti posted:

So, that ending.

I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't that. :allears:

We really need to keep a counter of people that have watched the ending, but it's always great to see what the reactions are.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

Finally picked up Cross.

As I Gunlancer, I really appreciate the MH team's commitment to always taking the phallic metaphors one step further with each game.

they're beyond metaphors. They literally tell you in this one that Khezu looks like a penis.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

they're beyond metaphors. They literally tell you in this one that Khezu looks like a penis.

Khezu will forever be Circumsaurus for me, now.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
wow Plesioth is the loving worst

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ixjuvin posted:

Hip check of death with random variation of the start-up time is my favorite Monster Hunter instakill move behind the Rajang laser.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Ixjuvin posted:

I tried to help some randoms do plesioth yesterday and they all died within 2 minutes of the start of the fight it was great

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Does anyone know how to unlock Watch Your Steppe, the 6* Guild quest to get EX Gore Magala tickets? I've already done Dread Locked, but that one's not on my list.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Squidtentacle posted:

Does anyone know how to unlock Watch Your Steppe, the 6* Guild quest to get EX Gore Magala tickets? I've already done Dread Locked, but that one's not on my list.

Google says you gotta be HR8, but I dunno personally.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Squidtentacle posted:

I got it from the Ace Commander as a request, so I guess HR8.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Allarion posted:

I got it from the Ace Commander as a request, so I guess HR8.

So, to get a Guild 6* quest you have to be HR8. That's interesting.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Is Plesioth any harder than he was in 3U? Because I didn't find him that crazy there, but I'm also a Lance main so that might have something to do with it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alxprit posted:

Is Plesioth any harder than he was in 3U? Because I didn't find him that crazy there, but I'm also a Lance main so that might have something to do with it.

I feel like in 3U they made his hitbox much better and then they changed to back to very bad to bring that classic feel to generations

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So it turns out I'm the scrub running around with skill-less armor, because I made the Hermitaur set back when I was still doing the CB, but since I changed to SA the one skill I get off the armor doesn't work, and I didn't think to check until last night after I'd finished 3*. :downs:

What's a good armor set that I can make in 4* village for aerial SA? I'm kinda looking at the Narga set.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
50 vespoid and only one innerwing :smithicide:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Kashuno posted:

50 vespoid and only one innerwing :smithicide:

I assumed you poisoned approximately 10 of them at least? 20 if you bring Toadstools and Casings too I guess. It's also a drop from Hunters for Hire if you haven't been doing that yet as well.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 23, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
26 carves between poisoning and proper damage points on them with my GL. Hitting with the tip a couple times usually lets them live. Lots of monster broth at least I guess

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Alxprit posted:

Kashuno posted:

I feel like in 3U they made his hitbox much better and then they changed to back to very bad to bring that classic feel to generations
I'm not so sure. I think the issue is rather there is no water combat, where plesioth was ironically much easier to deal with. Now you're stuck fighting it on land, but the hip check does still seems to have most of the improvements. The animation in particular has the fishasshole much more coiled on itself so its easier to literally just walk out of the way.

Honestly, I find the tail spins much more frustrating, because despite the damage and range, the stupid fish stands like 30 feet tall, it just looks ridiculous getting hit for 1/2 health because a fish flipper passed 10 feet over head.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Am I doing this right?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, that looks about right.

keep tabs on your cats

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
gently caress trying to do Snowbaron with pubbies. Jesus.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Well, I know I'm late to the party, but I just picked this up and am playing through with my broken L-button (I promise that I'll pick up the circle pad pro, but it costs like $50 in South Korea and I'm waiting on a slow, slow boat shipment from the US)

Gotta say that I'm running into the same problem I always do with these kinds of games, too much stuff to do and not enough focus!

I already have an aerial dual blades set up that gives me Attack 10 and Vault 10 that is just way too much fun to use. To complete the look, my dual blades are the Dual Piercers made from Maccao parts. Unfortunately, now I'm looking at building a full set of Lagombi armor for the +10 evasion so I can couple it with my Plume sword and adept dodge everything.

Oh, oh, what about planning a KO set with a big hammer!

Well jeez, since I've got or planned a long sword set, a dual blades set, and a hammer set, might as well plan a Great Sword set for laughs.

Shoot, now I guess I should also plan a SnS set since I got every other sword.

Damnit, I first played around with a switch ax and I have two of them sitting in my box, might as well plan out a switch ax set.

I don't think I'll ever get out of LR since all I ever do is plan and collect materials to build more LR gear.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

USMC_Karl posted:

Well, I know I'm late to the party, but I just picked this up and am playing through with my broken L-button (I promise that I'll pick up the circle pad pro, but it costs like $50 in South Korea and I'm waiting on a slow, slow boat shipment from the US)

Gotta say that I'm running into the same problem I always do with these kinds of games, too much stuff to do and not enough focus!

I already have an aerial dual blades set up that gives me Attack 10 and Vault 10 that is just way too much fun to use. To complete the look, my dual blades are the Dual Piercers made from Maccao parts. Unfortunately, now I'm looking at building a full set of Lagombi armor for the +10 evasion so I can couple it with my Plume sword and adept dodge everything.

Well jeez, since I've got or planned a long sword set, a dual blades set, and a hammer set, might as well plan a Great Sword set for laughs.

Damnit, I first played around with a switch ax and I have two of them sitting in my box, might as well plan out a switch ax set.

I don't think I'll ever get out of LR since all I ever do is plan and collect materials to build more LR gear.

this is the correct way to play monster hunter

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

USMC_Karl posted:

Yes, armor crafting is an addiction. And it gets even worse in HR as the armor selection just gets crazy large.

I will say though, unless you plan on running Striker or Guild, Lagombi armor would be a waste. Adept style comes with Evasion 2.5 in your dodge. And Aerial has some evasion frames in its dodge hop. Evasion+1 might add some i-frames to the the Aerial dodge but not sure tbh. It's great armor for styles without extra i-frames in the dodge though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Myrmidongs posted:

Am I doing this right?

Where'd you get all that? I've got 2 carts going full bore on honey and it barely keeps up with the rate I go through the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Honey duping is the best

• Locked thread