Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It doesn't seem to do that for me. I have a few songs with errors in them, and when I played the "uploaded" version, it had the same skips. Maybe it only scans if you're paying for the membership?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Deeters posted:

It doesn't seem to do that for me. I have a few songs with errors in them, and when I played the "uploaded" version, it had the same skips. Maybe it only scans if you're paying for the membership?

I would assume the errors in your copies prevented Google from making a match, so it uploaded it.

I have duplicates of several songs because my copies are slightly different lengths and things like that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Humerus posted:

I have duplicates of several songs because my copies are slightly different lengths and things like that.

I use that to my advantage when it refuses to upload a track on a mix tape or best of album.

I've had it "match" several songs after they were uploaded properly, replacing them with the wrong version. That's super annoying.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The problem with Allo and Duo is going to be the same problem Hangouts has, which is they're only good if most of the people you talk to are willing to download and use them. Like 90% of my social circle is on Android, but no one would use Hangouts, even when it came pre-installed because SMS worked fine for them and what is this green app thing.

Then Google Messenger came out and several of them switched from their stock SMS app to that. I don't know, maybe I just have weird friends.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Luchadork posted:

Then Google Messenger came out and several of them switched from their stock SMS app to that. I don't know, maybe I just have weird friends.

This seems pretty normal if you have non-techie friends.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Luchadork posted:

The problem with Allo and Duo is going to be the same problem Hangouts has, which is they're only good if most of the people you talk to are willing to download and use them. Like 90% of my social circle is on Android, but no one would use Hangouts, even when it came pre-installed because SMS worked fine for them and what is this green app thing.

Nope, that's pretty normal for friends that aren't into tech. Luckily facebook messenger is awesome because most of my friends and family use that now over SMS, facebook did the right thing prompting people to download their messenger when they send messeages over facebook's mobile app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Luchadork posted:

No, people using Hangouts a lot are the ones with weird friends.

Duo seems to be very popular based upon reviews/downloads on the Play Store...but its install base is still tiny compared to the number of people using smartphones.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

All these IM apps are goddamn poo poo.

Its like no one remember what made the internet good. Create a low-level, open, cross-platform specification and then let people make whatever apps they want implementing said specification.

SMS/MMS is kind of there, but it's too much controlled by carriers and too lacking in features.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Its like no one remember what made the internet good. Create a low-level, open, cross-platform specification and then let people make whatever apps they want implementing said specification.

SMS/MMS is kind of there, but it's too much controlled by carriers and too lacking in features.

Make IM clients great again!

Seriously, I miss having all of my friends on MSN and AIM. Facebook messenger is close to being there but I still know a lot of people that won't use social media or make a facebook page. SMS/MMS are awful and slow, I also have too many family members way out in rural areas that can't get MMS to work at all.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

TwistedNails posted:

Make IM clients great again!

Seriously, I miss having all of my friends on MSN and AIM. Facebook messenger is close to being there but I still know a lot of people that won't use social media or make a facebook page. SMS/MMS are awful and slow, I also have too many family members way out in rural areas that can't get MMS to work at all.

If Allo has SMS it'll be perfect for me. Special features for my friends (that are tech-friendly) and SMS for people like my parents who really don't give a poo poo.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Agoat posted:

If Allo has SMS it'll be perfect for me.

I'm pretty sure Google came right out and said 'no' to SMS.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Quite right too, it's a dying technology and several orders of magnitude more expensive for the end user.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

SMS should have died a decade ago

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Budgie posted:

Quite right too, it's a dying technology and several orders of magnitude more expensive for the end user.

SMS costs me exactly as much as any other messenger. Sorry about your garbage plan I guess.

Less, actually, since data is metered and SMS is not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Budgie posted:

You should try getting a new phone plan instead of continuing to use the plan you got in 2004. The big carriers practically force you to take unlimited messaging these days and have for a while.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Thermopyle posted:

Matrix.org is trying to do this, although it's probably just going to XMPP hard.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm guessing that the people complaining about the expense of SMS aren't in the United States.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Luchadork posted:

I'm pretty sure Google came right out and said 'no' to SMS.

loving useless.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Budgie posted:

Taffer posted:

SMS should have died a decade ago

Unlimited worldwide SMS and MMS has been standard here for like a decade, meanwhile it's $95 for a maximum of 6gb of data. :canada:
There are entire countries where data-based messaging apps don't make any sense when SMS is the base standard for phones and practically free.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Here in Australia SMS/MMS is still the phone messaging system of choice for like, everyone. Our lovely cellular infrastructure is way ahead of our even shittier internet infrastructure. I live in a regional/rural area and I probably get faster internet over 4G, but it's 20AUD a month for 1.5GB, versus unlimited SMS/MMS in the same plan. It's getting better, sure, but I don't see SMS here going away for a long time. Just from a practical standpoint I'd rather send an SMS than use up even a minuscule amount of data sending the exact same message.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

dazjw posted:

Matrix.org is trying to do this, although it's probably just going to XMPP hard.

Yeah, I fully support what they're doing.

Of course, anything that doesn't have the support of multiple big players like Google, FB, etc really has an uphill battle.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there an as app that does screen brightness adjustments like f.lux but doesn't cause problems with the screen overlay? I can't use twilight because of that.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They pretty much all use an overlay, what problems are you having?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Yeah here in the US it's pretty much unlimited text messages for any modern plan. Getting people to all settle in on one service is hard when SMS/MMS comes standard on every phone and they can use whatever app they want to text.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

TwistedNails posted:

Not that it'll help with everyone, but Facebook Messenger doesn't require an account anymore.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

They pretty much all use an overlay, what problems are you having?

Well you can't do things like post photos to fb or other things with attachments from storage because it gives you a message saying "screen overlay detected"

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Is there an as app that does screen brightness adjustments like f.lux but doesn't cause problems with the screen overlay? I can't use twilight because of that.

Try Lightflow and use the Use Alternative Overlay option. Not sure it'll work for you, but it's worth a shot (it's also a really good app). I know that most apps that use an overlay gently caress up your ability to install apps (at least without disabling said overlaying app first), but I don't have any such issues, so maybe it'll for what you're doing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

actionjackson posted:

Well you can't do things like post photos to fb or other things with attachments from storage because it gives you a message saying "screen overlay detected"

You can't?

I've only ever had issues with install screens etc, and lux has a sleep list that makes it a non issue

Either way every app like that uses an overlay, sounds like you just need to find the options that disable automatically in certain situations

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well, looks like not all hope for Hangouts is lost.

http://phandroid.com/2016/08/24/hangouts-android-shruggie/

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I hope it'll let me replace all my missing SMS contact photos with shruggies, and replace "Unfortunately Hangouts has stopped working" with " ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Android Apps:  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Uthor posted:

The most appropriate Android Apps thread title since Grimbo

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I hope it'll let me replace all my missing SMS contact photos with shruggies, and replace "Unfortunately Hangouts has stopped working" with " ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ".

The missing contact photo thing annoys me so. loving. much. It was enough to push me to using Hangouts and Messenger, despite HATING having it split into two apps.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I installed Duo but it kept crashing because it claimed to be unable to access my camera. Welp!

e: turns out my front facing camera is somehow broken??

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 24, 2016

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Uthor posted:

Now I'm sad thread titles do not support unicode.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
So I just went through the rigmarole of calling Verizon support and after resetting my phone we determined that my front camera is busted and they're sending me a replacement. Now that I'm restoring my phone to how it was before I did a factory wipe, aware that I'll need to repeat the whole process again in a couple of days when I get the replacement phone, can anyone recommend a reliable backup and restore application? Ideally this would back up literally all of my apps and the settings therein and restore them pain-free.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Montalvo posted:

So I just went through the rigmarole of calling Verizon support and after resetting my phone we determined that my front camera is busted and they're sending me a replacement. Now that I'm restoring my phone to how it was before I did a factory wipe, aware that I'll need to repeat the whole process again in a couple of days when I get the replacement phone, can anyone recommend a reliable backup and restore application? Ideally this would back up literally all of my apps and the settings therein and restore them pain-free.

Android in general backs up your phone, not sure about content within though. My stuff seems to be all cloud based so who knows.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
That's what I figured too, but I had to go through and redownload all my apps just now.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Montalvo posted:

That's what I figured too, but I had to go through and redownload all my apps just now.

Weird. Mine, when I factory restored it, gave me a list of what apps I wanted to install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is anybody else's Google Photos app showing photos on the wrong days? It seems like it's putting the latest photo taken each day onto another day, but if I took multiple photos in a day, most of them are right. The exif tags show the right date, but the app has them grouped wrong.