Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Cobalt Zeroni
Feb 15, 2015

WarpedNaba posted:

Is this a reference to something that happened in One-Punch Man? Because that's my bedtime workout minus the situps and running.

Yeah. (OPM) The titular protagonist claims three years of that routine is how he became strong enough to defeat anyone in one punch (and also became bald). Nobody believes him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

By now it's pretty safe to say we all want toy of Steven Universe. The lack of (good) toy of Steven Universe at this point in time pretty much single-handedly refutes the core tenets of microeconomics.

Because, like, seriously though, why aren't there any good toys yet. Why isn't CN jumping on that pile of cash. Do those weird-looking blocky things even sell that well? Are they cheaper to make? Has there been a sudden improvement in labor conditions in China that makes it no longer cost-effective to churn out tons of cheap plastic figurines?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Let me drive my Lego model of Greg's van into your heart!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
That picture is mad spooky.

Like, maybe its the shadow falling across the monolithic face, the tired gaze over the tiny gaily colored plastic miniatures. There's no innocence in that eye, nothing about it suggests it is seeing any joy... Just a selection of vinyl shapes. That hostile alien gaze isn't interested in the show, its merely the obligated gaze of a deviant selecting which miniature its going to place in its rear end in a top hat for another dreary mid afternoon wank.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

That picture is mad spooky.

Like, maybe its the shadow falling across the monolithic face, the tired gaze over the tiny gaily colored plastic miniatures. There's no innocence in that eye, nothing about it suggests it is seeing any joy... Just a selection of vinyl shapes. That hostile alien gaze isn't interested in the show, its merely the obligated gaze of a deviant selecting which miniature its going to place in its rear end in a top hat for another dreary mid afternoon wank.

It's an Alternate Universe Griffin's Amiibo Corner...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

By now it's pretty safe to say we all want toy of Steven Universe. The lack of (good) toy of Steven Universe at this point in time pretty much single-handedly refutes the core tenets of microeconomics.

Because, like, seriously though, why aren't there any good toys yet. Why isn't CN jumping on that pile of cash. Do those weird-looking blocky things even sell that well? Are they cheaper to make? Has there been a sudden improvement in labor conditions in China that makes it no longer cost-effective to churn out tons of cheap plastic figurines?

Funko Pop figurines sell very well. This is perhaps due to aggressive recognition-based marketing. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't poo poo ugly.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It's an Alternate Universe Griffin's Amiibo Corner...

who would make such a horrifying creation

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

Funko Pop figurines sell very well. This is perhaps due to aggressive recognition-based marketing. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't poo poo ugly.

What's the deal with Pops? There's like zero detail or craftsmanship in them and then on top of that they take up more space than a regular figure probably would. So they're big and designed to be just barely recognizable as the character they are.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love that Estelle is having so much fun with her Cartoon dabbling (Voicing Garnet and writing the We Bear Bears theme tune mainly). I loved that early interview where she mentioned that sometimes she hoped she'd get bigger lines, but when watching the finished episodes later she saw the amount of dialog Pearl and Amethyst had and was like "That's OK, you can keep the millions of lines. I'll be happy with my little ones." due to it seeming intimidating. And now Garnet is getting more fun lines, so she got her wish :3:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
75lb Pearl.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

What's the deal with Pops? There's like zero detail or craftsmanship in them and then on top of that they take up more space than a regular figure probably would. So they're big and designed to be just barely recognizable as the character they are.

They have an incredible licensing department and the low detail probably makes it extremely easy to design+mass produce =max profit=more license holders want to get in on it.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Acne Rain posted:

I saw a tumblr post mentioning that we've gotten other celebrity voice actresses for one off gems and so Kate Mulgrew should play one of the diamonds and now I can't stop wanting that.

E: idea: In the scene where she sings the corruption song, they briefly focus on a gem becoming a salamander.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want either one of the Diamonds or one of the higher ups to be played by Bette Midler. Maybe Pink Diamond. Make her the Diamond Diva

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want either one of the Diamonds or one of the higher ups to be played by Bette Midler. Maybe Pink Diamond. Make her the Diamond Diva

The true Song of Corruption:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaC-WDrvmUQ

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Say Nothing posted:

75lb Pearl.

quote:

Saw this cool headline and I immediately thought of a giant pearl. I’d imagine this kind of pearl is one that is forgotten about during it’s formation, and is left to grow for thousands of years into a huge gem that acquires many defects and abnormalities over such a long period of growth. Giant pearls are very powerful, and are fickle and capricious in nature. They rarely speak, and do not appear to possess a specific weapon, however they have very strong psychic and telekinetic abilities. Giant pearls are dangerous in the wrong hands, as they will blindly follow and dedicate themselves to the first figure of authority they encounter, and act without capacity for reason or mercy.

source

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Kinda looks like something from The Last Of Us.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

They have an incredible licensing department and the low detail probably makes it extremely easy to design+mass produce =max profit=more license holders want to get in on it.

I read an article the other day that went into this in more detail, basically, a few years ago vinyl figures where just starting to get big in a collectible sense, with indie designers and other art people making their own and doing neat one off runs and stuff. Then the current owners of Funko stepped in (before this they made bobbleheads) and decided to churn out easy to make licensed poo poo, starting with DC figures, which became the basis for the Pop brand.

Nerds being what they are, there was a much bigger market for licensed poo poo (even at the absurdly low quality of Pop figures) than there was for new, interesting, designs, and they basically just devoured the market by burying it in waves of low-effort licensed figures.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

WarpedNaba posted:

Personally I think Giant Pearl reminds me of the Church Giants from Bloodborne

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Kwyndig posted:

I read an article the other day that went into this in more detail, basically, a few years ago vinyl figures where just starting to get big in a collectible sense, with indie designers and other art people making their own and doing neat one off runs and stuff. Then the current owners of Funko stepped in (before this they made bobbleheads) and decided to churn out easy to make licensed poo poo, starting with DC figures, which became the basis for the Pop brand.

Nerds being what they are, there was a much bigger market for licensed poo poo (even at the absurdly low quality of Pop figures) than there was for new, interesting, designs, and they basically just devoured the market by burying it in waves of low-effort licensed figures.

Yeah, I read the same article. I remember buying one of those blank Munni figures for my girlfriend to customize. If they made Neondroids or Figuarts style Steven Universe toys people would buy the gently caress out of them, because they both appeal to the same audience.

I don't like the big Funko Pops (those are really loving ugly) but the mini ones have better head/body proportions and don't have the weird same-faces so they look cuter. I would still prefer actual show-styled toys, though. Preferably of Peridot and Stevonnie.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

quote:

It seems that the next big arc for the series is revealing the flaws and failings of Rose Quartz and how Steven comes to terms with it. Since much of Steven’s image of his mother came from Greg, will he play a role in this next season?

Oh, yes! That’s all I’ll say!

http://www.thewrap.com/steven-universe-creator-rebecca-sugar-talks-lgbt-themes-teases-season-3/

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The Jasper question about her deep down motives definitely makes it clear we aren't done with her beyond the meta spoilers, which is good.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'm not sure why people thought Jasper's arc was done to begin with. Just because Steven is Gem Jesus doesn't mean he's Chick Tract Gem Jesus, "reject him and you'll burn in Gem hell forever" and all.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Junpei Hyde posted:

DON'T YOU DARE!

BE SOUR!

CLAP FOR THE TWO GEM TAG TEAM CHAMPS AND FEEL THE POWAH!

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

SexyBlindfold posted:

I'm not sure why people thought Jasper's arc was done to begin with.

Some people are bad at television and feel the need to tell us all about it.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

WarpedNaba posted:

It looked like something out of DarkSouls 3 to me. Lanky like most of the large, non-giant, humanoids. The Pearl reminds me of the Twin Prince Lorian. The clothing is tattered but looks like it might have once been very eloquent.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I could see Garnet making a judgement error with Stevonnie if they started sparring and Stevonnie did particularly well. Considering Garnet's pride at seeing what Steven, Connie, and Stevonnie are becoming; and her admiration for Rose, she could accidentally slip up and say something along the lines of "Wow, your already fighting just like Rose!" in an attempt to flatter, only to be met by what we've seen of Stevonnies true nature: The Righteous Fury that she displayed fighting Jasper ("I don't want to hear anything you have to say, unless it's sorry!"). BTW I interpreted that attitude as Connie's Headstrong nature crashing into Steven's Unyielding Love for All to form a super-chivalrous kind of attitude of "I will protect everyone and noone will stop me." She has, after all, been shown to call her friends out before, like when she first formed and Connie's influence got her asking questions that Steven alone would have left alone ("Wait, I thought you wanted Steven to be able to fuse? Why does it matter that it was with me?" in Alone Together)

Stevonnie gets mad at Garnet's comment and ends the fight (using some unforseen technique) with a resounding "STOP COMPARING US TO HER!" that really finally drill into Garnet that they are working to not be a clone of Rose Quartz, but their own Gems that won't make the same mistakes that she did.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Here's another great interview/story about Sugar. This one is from Spoiler Free Movie Sleuth.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

Say Nothing posted:

Steven licked Ruby's eyeball rather than use his usual soggy hand method.
That was weird.

Steven had been outside rolling around in the dirty beta kindergarten, and he knew his hands were filthy, and he hadn't had a chance to wash them all day, and he knew he shouldn't lick his dirty hands, or put them on that Ruby. Steven is a good boy who cares about basic hygiene.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Sudden realization: the Diamonds might have been able to nip the rebellion in the bud if A) Blue Diamond hasn't been so worried about the rebellion that she summoned a powerful clairvoyant to Earth and B) they weren't such sticks in the mud about fusion that Ruby and Sapphire fusing didn't give the rebels the chance to escape and then gain the favor of a powerful fusion.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Kwyndig posted:

So that's what happened to all those awesome unique blind box designer toys that populated comic stores in the late 2000's. They were run out of town by those things.

Blind box figures like those above are now a rarity instead of in abundance. It was really fun to see an illustrator's new set of designs on shelves for $8-$12 a pop, and I was a casual collector at the time. It was kind of magical to see all these unique looking high quality designs that weren't attached to any other previously existing properties. Oh well. That might also explain why the NYC location of KidRobot closed up a few years ago too. My collection did grow quite a bit so I guess it's ok I have nothing to collect anymore, really.

Here's hoping Revoltech or Bandai's D-Arts brand snags up the Steven Universe license from Fuckno or whoever. (I know they're also responsible for the slightly less horrendous but still not really very good small SU blind box figures)

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 24, 2016

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I thought this Garnet makeup was really cool so I wanted to share it.

link to artist fb

Also anyone have a link to that toy article?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

subpar anachronism posted:

link to artist fb

funko story

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

"I was into collectible vinyl toys before they got so commercial" got it.

On topic, I watched the preview again, and that bit with Stevonnie leaning down off the pillar and launching herself is TRIGGER as gently caress. Can't wait. Though the sad Connie shown http://porigoshi.tumblr.com/post/149420873384/new-episode-of-steven-universe-this-thursday is worrying me a bit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I didn't know this was going to be a Studio TRIGGER collab, that's pretty drat awesome.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

link to artist fb

oh my gooooooooooood :swoon:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

C-SPAN Caller posted:

The Jasper question about her deep down motives definitely makes it clear we aren't done with her beyond the meta spoilers, which is good.

Yeah for sure. She's going to be an excellent addition to the team.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
jasper is going to regenerate all scrawny and short and explain later that she's missing her homeworld issued muscle enhancements

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

link to artist fb

oh my gosh she's so pretty and her makeup is so goooood :swoon:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

DolphinCop posted:

jasper is going to regenerate all scrawny and short and explain later that she's missing her homeworld issued muscle enhancements

How big do you want 'em? Normal? Meaty? And for the Sapphires...Hairy?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Test Pattern posted:

"I was into collectible vinyl toys before they got so commercial" got it.

On topic, I watched the preview again, and that bit with Stevonnie leaning down off the pillar and launching herself is TRIGGER as gently caress. Can't wait. Though the sad Connie shown http://porigoshi.tumblr.com/post/149420873384/new-episode-of-steven-universe-this-thursday is worrying me a bit.

My theory (we don't have to spoil speculation, right?) is that it's gonna be about Connie feeling useless when she's unfused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
official preview is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3t_Ep9fJQY

Prepare the One Punch Man jokes