Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol the ending cutscene from mission 1

Better check the time by pulling my old timey watch out from inside my jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Living Weapon feels stronger than before. Maybe I didn't use it enough, but it absolutely tore apart the first few oni and those guys gave me a lot of trouble in the Alpha.

Overall though I feel like the combat is less fluid. I can't quite put my finger on why, but melee combat feels... jerkier, maybe? I dunno.

I feel like attacks take more stamina.

Is the reason that no one else is talking about the different controls because you all switched them right away? Or are you guys like me and didn't even notice the defaults were different until you realized you didn't know how to shoot a bow? I played for like an hour before I remembered that the alpha demo use souls-controls for melee.

I have to go to bed, but I'll try to put a video up tomorrow that goes over the changes from the alpha demo. It's really cool how much they changed based on the feedback.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

I played for like an hour before I remembered that the alpha demo use souls-controls for melee.

It didn't, though? It was always square and triangle.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

It didn't, though? It was always square and triangle.

Maybe I'm just losing my mind. I remembered thinking that it was one of the immediate indicators that it was a soulslike. And I remembered stance being L1.

But you're right, I remember triangle for combo finishers in the skill tree.

But how did bows work then? I could have sworn you used the left trigger to aim, And the right bumper and trigger to shoot. I guess making left trigger swap shortcuts is what broke that...

Edit: yeah, you're right, and stance was R1 just like it is now. Because I remember the parry system, and how you can't let go of block and immediately attack because you'll do a parry instead. I'm just nuts.

Well in that case they broke aiming bows. It's not a big deal to me because I don't care about ranged weapons all that much, but It's still lame.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 24, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

But how did bows work then? I could have sworn you used the left trigger to aim, And the right bumper and trigger to shoot. I guess making left trigger swap shortcuts is what broke that...

You got it right, they just got rid of attack on R2 and put aim there so you could have the quick item switch on L2. Now arrows don't need to be equipped and are just mapped to the attack buttons, and you can have two long range weapons equipped at once. It makes aiming less precise but improves everything else.

Also there are Yokai arrows on triangle that deplete their meter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Harrow posted:

Living Weapon feels stronger than before. Maybe I didn't use it enough, but it absolutely tore apart the first few oni and those guys gave me a lot of trouble in the Alpha.

Overall though I feel like the combat is less fluid. I can't quite put my finger on why, but melee combat feels... jerkier, maybe? I dunno.

did you remember to change the settings to "Action Mode"? That helps the jank a lot

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

both high and low stance feel way more awkward

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Beat everything available in the demo until 11pm pst rolled around and switched what missions are enabled for twilight so now i have one more mission to do.

Overall the game is a lot easier but not in a terrible way, generally things that were difficult before just have less health now and the oni have much less Ki and lesser ones can be staggered. I think the switch on ki dodge and ki finish on high and low stance was definitely for the worse. It almost feels like the intended play style is to attack once and roll back now. This is the most true in the twilight version of the sub mission which is the most frustrating part of the demo and I hope they don't focus on content like that for sub missions.

Overall still really awesome game though.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Was keen to try the Alpha for this but for some reason forgot I had it. Jumped into the Beta today as a first look and man this game feels great already.

He's a quick mashup of my first half hour or so with the Beta.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKkzOpsN57Y

Feelings early on:
First impressions of Nioh for me are pretty good.

On the downside, which is minor, the graphics need to be turned up as it looks almost pixelly in places. There doesn't seem to be much enemy variety beyond dudes wearing different armour at this early juncture. Felt that the character was not really 'grounded' or hand any feeling of weight. That changed with the Axe/Hammer though. The spiritual systems aren't really well explained? Maybe essentially being a demo limits how much information they can dump.

The positives so far though are huge. Combat has a great flow, reminds me of fighting in Tekken. Changing stances is meaningful and adds awesome twists to fights, I really felt this work well when using an Axe, high stance overhead double chop into low stance knee slash, uuuunnnnnhhhh. Enemies though are tough and aggressive, and they don't mind throwing them at you in numbers that feel intense and pretty overwhelming, daring you to take them on and forcing you to learn the techniques. The atmosphere feels good but could get stale if it repeats too much. The level design feels good this early on.

I love the bloodstain system of challenging ghosts for their gear. Probably the best twist on the style for me.

Not sure if I should sink my teeth further into the Beta or wait for the full release.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Definitely go further. Check out the bosses. They took a lot of feedback from the alpha to heart, so assuming there's a survey for thus demo also, your feedback could be valuable.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
One of my favorite things is that they finally smoothed out the action frame rate. Game feels great.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

...I think the switch on ki dodge and ki finish on high and low stance was definitely for the worse. It almost feels like the intended play style is to attack once and roll back now...

Really? I feel like it makes perfect sense. High stance has the worst blocking and no counter abilities, so it makes sense to give them the evade bonus. Previously, low stance had both really good counter attack skills AND really good Ki management via evasion, making it really, really strong. The rolling ki pulse on high stance means that you can stay in the fight for more attacks than before, because some of your Ki loss is mitigated. I'm not sure why you feel you have to roll back, rather than forward or to the side of your enemy to stay in the fight. I feel like the change makes it possible to play more aggressively, as intended, in high stance. But I also haven't gotten to the new mission yet, so I'll have to see how it feels against the new enemies.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Previously you could ki pulse with triangle attacks in high stance which was much more aggressive than what you get now. All the change amounts to is making boss fights take longer.

And low stance just seems kind of pointless. It was all flash and little substance before but at least people had fun making sick combo vids of themselves spamming dashes back and forth. Now I'm not sure what it's in the game for.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It might be to encourage stance switching during combat. It's obviously supposed to be a big part of the game, but most people seem to pick a stance and stick with it. I've only gotten to play a little bit so far, and most of that time I spent playing around with the dual swords learning the new skills.

They've also added a whole lot more magic to play around with, so that's going to be interesting. There's an ability/item that unleashes your weapon's familiarity into a blast of energy. I can't say that's what I expect familiarity to be for, but it sounds interesting. There's also an item for reforging, but I haven't figured out how to do it it. It sounds like it will let you reroll uncommon and rare items, which is a really cool thing to have.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The more I try to figure out Ki Pulse stuff the poorer I end up playing. First time around I could favor the axe pretty well because the high damage could make up for poor technical play, but now I find that the game really wants me to do perfect ki pulses to clear away the yokai goop during boss battles and such. Problem is, the timing on it is kind of hard to pin down and if I look at the bar itself to tell when I should press R1, I'm *not* paying attention to the boss tells.

Overall, though, the game feels much tighter, and the bullshit deaths are far fewer. You get a much broader sense of what this game is going to look like and it's very promising overall.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Hanzo Hattori is the best character.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The more I try to figure out Ki Pulse stuff the poorer I end up playing. First time around I could favor the axe pretty well because the high damage could make up for poor technical play, but now I find that the game really wants me to do perfect ki pulses to clear away the yokai goop during boss battles and such. Problem is, the timing on it is kind of hard to pin down and if I look at the bar itself to tell when I should press R1, I'm *not* paying attention to the boss tells.

Overall, though, the game feels much tighter, and the bullshit deaths are far fewer. You get a much broader sense of what this game is going to look like and it's very promising overall.

So when the blue bar is filling back up, blue particles are condensing around your character. You want to Ki Pulse when or after they condense into a bright solid ring. There is a pretty lenient window after they condense, but you are SOL if you hit it early.

I honestly wish there was a feature to turn off hud, or specific elements of it. I'd love to turn off the Ki bar, because I have a real hard to time keeping my eye from being drawn to the corner of the screen constantly.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Belzac posted:

Overall the game is a lot easier but not in a terrible way, generally things that were difficult before just have less health now and the oni have much less Ki and lesser ones can be staggered.

I definitely noticed the decked out samurai swordsman are less aggressive, they tend to not follow up attacks it seems like.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I feel like attacks take more stamina.

Is the reason that no one else is talking about the different controls because you all switched them right away? Or are you guys like me and didn't even notice the defaults were different until you realized you didn't know how to shoot a bow? I played for like an hour before I remembered that the alpha demo use souls-controls for melee.

I have to go to bed, but I'll try to put a video up tomorrow that goes over the changes from the alpha demo. It's really cool how much they changed based on the feedback.

The only difference I could detect in the basic controls is the bow aiming/shooting, which I hate, but I'm also hesitant to switch to the Soulslike controls (for no good reason).

lets hang out posted:

Previously you could ki pulse with triangle attacks in high stance which was much more aggressive than what you get now. All the change amounts to is making boss fights take longer.

And low stance just seems kind of pointless. It was all flash and little substance before but at least people had fun making sick combo vids of themselves spamming dashes back and forth. Now I'm not sure what it's in the game for.

Low stance feels pretty good on spears, but I haven't spent much time with katanas yet in the beta. On spears, it's good for very long combos that can stunlock unarmored enemies, or hitting the crawling zombie guys, or just when you need your attacks to be super fast so you can dodge out at any moment.

I've heard katanas are just overall worse than the Alpha, though. Spears feel fine at least.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TG-Chrono posted:

On the downside, which is minor, the graphics need to be turned up as it looks almost pixelly in places.

Its not as simple as just 'tighten up the graphics on level 3', but they do give you the option of focusing on frame-rate or resolution which is nice and rare for console games.

Its not the most impressive engine ever but it seems to do fine and looks good enough to me.

Monolith. posted:

One of my favorite things is that they finally smoothed out the action frame rate. Game feels great.

Yeah with it set to 'action mode' or whatever it feels really smooth now.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Snak posted:

Really? I feel like it makes perfect sense. High stance has the worst blocking and no counter abilities, so it makes sense to give them the evade bonus. Previously, low stance had both really good counter attack skills AND really good Ki management via evasion, making it really, really strong. The rolling ki pulse on high stance means that you can stay in the fight for more attacks than before, because some of your Ki loss is mitigated. I'm not sure why you feel you have to roll back, rather than forward or to the side of your enemy to stay in the fight. I feel like the change makes it possible to play more aggressively, as intended, in high stance. But I also haven't gotten to the new mission yet, so I'll have to see how it feels against the new enemies.

Summed up well by the poster under this but each stance before had a strength and weakness before. By switching the extra ki pulse stuff between low and high they shored up the weaknesses of the two stances making it just down to dps numbers as they can now both dodge and attack well. DPS favors the High stance so you just go high on anything that doesn't need a specific combo you're looking for. If they gave Mid stance a Ki Pulse on guard it would at least compete with High.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Putting adds on the first twilight boss is the loving wooooooooooooooooooooorst.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well I finally made my way to the second boss.

The design of her is fantastic and I love how much personality she has but she's also a cheap rear end motherfucker who can stun me at any time and she knows it, she toys with me and then she kills me

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
So I've learned some things about the weapon Familiarity mechanic they introduced. The help summary simply states that you get more Amrita for offering a weapon with maxed familiarity, and there's on Onmyoji that consumes familiarity for a magic attack, but raising it also seems to boost the additional effects of the weapon (or at least I'm assuming so, as they turn blue after reaching certain tiers) AND the damage. I had a dual katana that was my weakest weapon, but I was close to maxing familiarity with it so I kept using it a little longer. When I went to swap it out, it suddenly had the highest attack rating of all my weapons. It went from, I believe, 90 something to 120. I'm not sure if any attack increases occur per tier of the familiarity gauge, or if it's just a bonus for maxing it out.

I also like the additions they made to the skill system. The weapon skill choices feel a bit more interesting now, rather than being a smattering of +/-X% to (action) during [stance]. I especially like the host of new additions to onmyoji and ninjutsu, and that they still have a smattering of good passives for players who'd rather not mess with magic much but still get some use out of the skill points from levels/items. Speaking of, I like getting skill points from items now (and from just using stuff, though I've not messed around enough with it to know if using lots of magic gives points like weapons do).

The changes to how ranged weapons are used is throwing me off a tad, but I'll get used to it. And I like having more than one ammo type. Having yokai killing arrows is pretty nice! Looking forward to seeing what other types of ammo are for guns/cannons. It'd be kinda boring if it's all just anti-human and anti-yokai, but it'd still work effectively.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

beat the demo, have both the mark of the strong and of the conquerer now, i assume that is all that is unlockable for the full game.

thoughts:
i still dont like fighting oni as much as humans, but they are way easier to manipulate into running out of stamina, making them better now than in the previous beta

i thought the game felt worse than the previous alpha at first but once i got some gear (went straight into caves) and an axe things felt better again. did not like dual swords. the matchlock is decent and the handcannon is really strong, it has some setup so you cant use it against bosses but i was able to 3 shot a big oni with it and kill it before it got to me

there needs to be some way to spend money on elixers, i had an insane surplus of money with nothing decent to spend it on, and doing a circle for elixers still sucks

some of the new enemies are neat, did anyone manage to catch the kappa? too fast for my axe build. the wall mimic was a neat surprise too, albeit way too easy after the initial shock
amount of loot seems way lower than jn the precious alpha which makes sense

the new boss is way harder than the previous demo bosses. hint, keep dodging and getting in single hits until she gets tired, then use your spirit

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Marogareh posted:

Putting adds on the first twilight boss is the loving wooooooooooooooooooooorst.

It's not just the first boss.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Fighting the second boss and can't beat her at all. I tried summoning a few people but they all walked off a cliff and killed themselves so I guess I'll have to just do it myself.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
So this game is pretty neat, feels like a PS2 style action adventure and I've been sorely missing those.

One thing I can't seem to get a hang on is interrupting stun locks from enemies hitting me a bunch, can't seem to ever dodge out of them or anything. Is there a trick to the timing or a technique I'm missing?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Charles Get-Out posted:

So this game is pretty neat, feels like a PS2 style action adventure and I've been sorely missing those.

One thing I can't seem to get a hang on is interrupting stun locks from enemies hitting me a bunch, can't seem to ever dodge out of them or anything. Is there a trick to the timing or a technique I'm missing?

The trick is to not get hit.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
...So there is no way to stop getting stun locked from consecutive hits if you do get hit? I can git gud and deal, but that seems odd.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
It depends on the enemy, their stance, your stance, your armor, and your animation at the time but generally besides spamming dodge/block and praying, no. Getting armor with high Vs. Break stat, using Mid stance, and not trying to trade with the enemy can help you out but once you're in the hit stun, it's pretty much a done deal. Don't forget that blocking is wonderful.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 24, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Block

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

kojicolnair posted:

Fighting the second boss and can't beat her at all. I tried summoning a few people but they all walked off a cliff and killed themselves so I guess I'll have to just do it myself.

you can forward roll through both the charge and projectile attacks. stay somewhat far away so she does those, roll, hit once, disengage, repeat. when shes tired blast your spirit and she should either die or be very close to death

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah if you take a lot of hits you're going to get hosed up, staggered and take a ton of damage, so you generally want to avoid that even happening.

Blocking and dodging depending upon the situation. Or even just kinda, out-ranging them? You can kinda bait attacks by walking forward and backwards, and then you can stunlock them yourself after they swing. Harder with multiple opponents for sure.

It defnitely takes awhile to get a feel for the combat and what the right response is, the timing and stuff. Its not too bad though really.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Davincie posted:

you can forward roll through both the charge and projectile attacks. stay somewhat far away so she does those, roll, hit once, disengage, repeat. when shes tired blast your spirit and she should either die or be very close to death

Just manged to do it, that's exactly what I did, I used fast stance on the spear and just took hits where I could. I'm still not sure which weapon I like best as I switched a ton but the spear saved me against that boss.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i see they still didnt fix the transfer problem. guess ill start the demo bare now sigh

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The Torii Gate multiplayer option is fantastic and I love this drat game. Eat your heart out, Dark Souls

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I really do like the ability to just select "I WANT TO HELP" and it whisks you away to anyone who needs help regardless of the level they're on.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Game seems pretty great. I really hope they change up elixirs to fill on shrine return like estus flasks, grinding for those between boss runs is nonsense even if it does go pretty quick. They do it with jutsus already, they clearly understand why its a good mechanic!

Also, are there just the two DLCs? I think I've done everything in the demo except the twilight version of the first sub-mission, gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
they nerfed the drop rates to compensate for no durability loss right? It seems to encourage farming, and I haven't gotten a second good dual katana in a while. I don't like this change, they should have just made the repair stones easier to obtain