Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Fookin' Prawns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Looks rad, but did they really put off pulling terraforming again?

I've been putting off restarting since terraforming removal is bound to be a savegame-killer. Is that change really not coming for another month or two?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Ok, so i can load my 15 hour save and it'll try to integrate the new areas into the game...or I can restart and get the new terrain from jump but I lose all progress. If I start a new game and save will this overwrite my existing save?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
"Lights have been added to the Cyclops camera for increased low-light visibility."

Solid.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope those lights help. I found the Cyclops really difficult to navigate with. I guess its a tradeoff for being Leviathan-proof.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
One of the things that I really like about this game is they haven't just been adding stuff throughout the EA process, but they keep adding a lot of significant new things that are fun to play with. Like putting in a modular exosuit at this stage is pretty great.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The closest things that sound like Reapers (before you figure out the differences) are Screaming Sharks (Shark Screamers? Something scream in the name.) They're fast but they don't instakill you and they bump harmlessly off of the Seamoth most of the time.

Edit: Bone Sharks! That's what they are technically called.

The first time one of these fuckers came up on me from the side in VR, I just about wet myself.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Trustworthy posted:

Looks rad, but did they really put off pulling terraforming again?

I've been putting off restarting since terraforming removal is bound to be a savegame-killer. Is that change really not coming for another month or two?

Putting it off further would be if September comes and goes, and they still have not done it. As once I started properly checking this game out in June, the Roadmap has had terraforming removal listed under September from then to now.

To be fair, I will also probably not be digging too deeply again until that gets sorted as well.

Power Walrus posted:

I hope those lights help. I found the Cyclops really difficult to navigate with. I guess its a tradeoff for being Leviathan-proof.

They will help as long as you are close enough for anything the light can shine on render in the first place :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When I last checked the trello, they had polishing the game for release in July.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

When I last checked the trello, they had polishing the game for release in July.

Honestly at this point, I'm more curious if they will boot it out the door around Christmas or new years still missing content and features, like scuba lady, etc. Despite proclamations of the devs they will take as much time as they need to finish everything before launch.

You know the usual "We'll add it in/fix it after launch" becoming so popular these days where 1.0 is more of a press pitch than a finalized product.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The scanner allowing you to tab right to the relevant pokedex entry is a good addition.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Wait, why are they nixing terraforming?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Its the source of the massive pop-in issues since its constantly streaming highly detailed terrain data.

They're going to change the map into one set of solid geometry and be done with it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The game already has trouble streaming in the default data. When you start modifying it, that balloons the file sizes for each chunk of the map and makes everything worse.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've had very little pop in issues in the previous build. Is it bad again or is my PC just almost good enough?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
They have already started on removing it from the game, in the stable version you cannot left click 'dig' in the sand anymore.

Also, tech is a bit more annoying to find, being relegated to wrecks mostly. Need a grav gun to get into the Aurora, having a hard time finding one in it's usual haunts. Wrecks are also a bit more of a pain to get into: smaller ones you can still generally explore without any tools but for bigger ones some of the green doors have been turned uninteractable. Which means I really need to find the freakin' grav gun :shepicide:

Truga posted:

I've had very little pop in issues in the previous build. Is it bad again or is my PC just almost good enough?
The latter most likely. It's especially egregious when a Sea Satan pops in about 20 meters in front of you because they're apparently last on spawn priority.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also, tech is a bit more annoying to find, being relegated to wrecks mostly. Need a grav gun to get into the Aurora, having a hard time finding one in it's usual haunts.

The ones in the Mushroom Forest and Floating Islands seem to be the current homes, plus there's a fragment in the Aurora now.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I haven't played in a while, how do you need the grav gun to get certain things? Never needed it in my old playthrough.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Dyz posted:

I haven't played in a while, how do you need the grav gun to get certain things? Never needed it in my old playthrough.

For the Aurora, there are piles of crates blocking doorways that need to be removed. In wrecks, there are perforated square hatches that can be removed by the repulsion cannon to access vents.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Actually assembling a list of where needed fragments are seems helpful. I know the Bioreactor and Mobile Vehicle Bay are in the big wreck right next to Lifepod 17. There's usually a few seamoth fragments around the area as well, so it's a good place to hit to get started on wider exploration.

Now if only the Moonpool fragments weren't in the Grand Reef or Mountains. :shepicide:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Fragments

Assuming it's still up to date

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

StrangeAeon posted:

Now if only the Moonpool fragments weren't in the Grand Reef or Mountains. :shepicide:

The Mountains one is especially stupid, because it's way deeper than you can go in the Seamoth without a Pressure Compensator, which you can't build until you have the Moonpool.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Paracelsus posted:

The Mountains one is especially stupid, because it's way deeper than you can go in the Seamoth without a Pressure Compensator, which you can't build until you have the Moonpool.

Well, isn't the point to get you out of the seamoth exploring those areas by hand, putting yourself in greater danger (before acquiring the moonpool and it's upgrades which allow you to negate that danger once the area has been 'conquered')

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GlyphGryph posted:

Well, isn't the point to get you out of the seamoth exploring those areas by hand, putting yourself in greater danger (before acquiring the moonpool and it's upgrades which allow you to negate that danger once the area has been 'conquered')
It's a bit too far beyond the envelope compared to everything else in the game, especially for players who don't know where it is to start with, or even that the moonpool is a thing.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Oxygen kinda makes those depths a problem.

Also, the mountains are reaper territory, and I've found it difficult to try and outrun them in a seamoth, much less on fin.

Edit: And I just remembered, in Experimental it's not even possible to get that deep right now. The Seamoth pressure modules were removed for tweaking. You can get around it by using the console command item seamothreinforcementmodule to give yourself a 1k meter crush depth. Sadly it's the only means of exploring deeper right now.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 24, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Paracelsus posted:

especially for players who don't know where it is to start with, or even that the moonpool is a thing.

This is what I see as the biggest problem. So long as they know the stuff is down there, I think most player would be able to get it.

StrangeAeon posted:

Oxygen kinda makes those depths a problem.

It's pretty bad if you don't get that one piece of equipment (the rebreather, I think?) but once I grabbed that extended forays out of the Seamoth into deeper ocean was both fun and doable. I actually got the moonpool and explored a wreck before I realized how much the rebreather helped, so it's still doable even without that, but I returned a few times to grab more stuff before remembering I should upgrade the seamoth to go deeper now that I could.

I think the bigger problem is just not having any clue as to the fact that you should be looking for moonpool fragments or where you should be looking for them (and that's a bigger issue than just here, it's just that the challenge of the search in this region brings it into pretty sharp focus)

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

And then I immediately hit a jackpot wreck, with the Nuclear Reactor, Alien Containment, Moonpool, and Modification Station fragments.

Found it by using the Geological Formation beacon as a landmark, then dodged a reaper and ducked into the Blood Kelp. It was right between the Dunes and the Sea Treader Path areas.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

GlyphGryph posted:

This is what I see as the biggest problem. So long as they know the stuff is down there, I think most player would be able to get it.

It's pretty bad if you don't get that one piece of equipment (the rebreather, I think?) but once I grabbed that extended forays out of the Seamoth into deeper ocean was both fun and doable. I actually got the moonpool and explored a wreck before I realized how much the rebreather helped, so it's still doable even without that, but I returned a few times to grab more stuff before remembering I should upgrade the seamoth to go deeper now that I could.

I think the bigger problem is just not having any clue as to the fact that you should be looking for moonpool fragments or where you should be looking for them (and that's a bigger issue than just here, it's just that the challenge of the search in this region brings it into pretty sharp focus)

I think the only real clue about the moonpool existing is that you probably have the upgrade console by then and it needs to go in a moonpool, but that also means that once you can build the moonpool you'll almost immediately be able to make the Seamoth solar charger and render the moonpool's ostensible biggest function (recharge your vehicle) obsolete. Some of the progression in this game is really wonky.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

I think the only real clue about the moonpool existing is that you probably have the upgrade console by then and it needs to go in a moonpool, but that also means that once you can build the moonpool you'll almost immediately be able to make the Seamoth solar charger and render the moonpool's ostensible biggest function (recharge your vehicle) obsolete. Some of the progression in this game is really wonky.

I don't think I've ever bothered with the solar charger. Prefer to spend those valuable slots on other stuff, so it's still nice to know the seamoth will always be topped off whenever you want to go out on a trip.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The worst part of a moonpool is if you're just starting a base out and aren't at full power yet. If you dare to park your seamoth in it, the base constantly screams about being out of power until you undock the seamoth and just get out and enter your base normally.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I started playing this again recently after buying it and abandoning it ages ago, mainly because I didn't realize how much the game opens up once you get the base builder tool.

I've made the anti-radiation suit and started a small base; what should my next step be? Exploring the Aurora, or doing the trek to Floating Island for the base scans there?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Evil Mastermind posted:

I started playing this again recently after buying it and abandoning it ages ago, mainly because I didn't realize how much the game opens up once you get the base builder tool.

I've made the anti-radiation suit and started a small base; what should my next step be? Exploring the Aurora, or doing the trek to Floating Island for the base scans there?

Explore the Aurora, and fix the reactor. Then you can start tooling around at your leisure.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TheCenturion posted:

Explore the Aurora, and fix the reactor. Then you can start tooling around at your leisure.

It's just gotten a bit harder to jump right into that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

They added a grin reaper?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's gotten harder to make a base. No more Multi-purpose rooms to start. I made a single corridor to stuff lockers in.

I'm not sure if it's because my lifepod happened to be in a different area than my last playthrough, but does the safe shallows seem significantly different to anyone else?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Now that you need the grav gun in order to actually get into the Aurora, go to the Floating Island and scan the bases. That'll get you the multipurpose room and while fruit has been nerfed, potatoes are great both for food and bioreactor use. Also if you keep an eye out on the seafloor as you travel you'll probably pick up a couple of Grassy Plateau techs (battery/power cell charger, Water Filtration) that supplement what you get.

You can still go to the Aurora to get the supply boxes for batteries, signals and power cells but that'll be it.

Met posted:

It's gotten harder to make a base. No more Multi-purpose rooms to start. I made a single corridor to stuff lockers in.

I'm not sure if it's because my lifepod happened to be in a different area than my last playthrough, but does the safe shallows seem significantly different to anyone else?
It's your lifepod starting position. The biggest change I've noticed is Crash fish eggs instead of empty (or filled with powder :argh:) crash homes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is lifepod 8 supposed to be on the surface or seafloor? Because I found it rock solid "floating" on the surface without bobbing up and down.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Met posted:

Is lifepod 8 supposed to be on the surface or seafloor? Because I found it rock solid "floating" on the surface without bobbing up and down.

There's some weird poo poo going on with geometry in this update

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

It's supposed to be on the seafloor, which is where the signal is. I was wondering what was up when there wasn't a pod there.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I haven't played much so I have absolutely no idea where poo poo like the Floating Island is, but after a decent sesh the other night I now have a rebreather, two high capacity oxygen tanks, the radiation suit (and helmet), and some other crap like recharging fins (and made the glide fins too just because) and the repulsion gun. But, I still can't find the goddamn moonpool fragments.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Use beacons. Lots of beacons. Really helps you get your bearings without using a map.

I'd search big wrecks (not the aurora) for Moonpool fragments. The deeper you find them at this point in your game, the better.