Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i suppose it can be if you need specific features which i assume you do if you're compiling it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i made a gui transcoder app for osx that used ffmpeg, but i didn't want the user to have to install homebrew or unix tools at all so i figured out how to make it so that ffmpeg looked for it's libraries inside of the app bundle. but also the app bundle could be located anywhere (not just the app folder), so it needed to be able to figure out where the dylibs were based on the location of the executable when it was run.

i honestly know very little about compiling C things so there's probably a correct way to do this, but i had no idea what i was doing so I managed it with a bunch of weird tools that edited the binary after it was compiled.

also this was the first thing i ever made that other people actually used so it was pretty rough

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

compiling ffmpeg was not difficult, problem was fedora not recognising the x264 library of sorts, i.e. my laziness to diagnose the issue. the only thing i had problems compiling was the google vp9 stuff

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i suppose it can be if you need specific features which i assume you do if you're compiling it
:ssh: i didnt find it prepackaged in default fedora repos, hence compiling. its me, im the lazy goon reinventing bicycle

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Might be labeled avconv in the repo

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

kalstrams posted:

:ssh: i didnt find it prepackaged in default fedora repos, hence compiling. its me, im the lazy goon reinventing bicycle

i also have a really hard time figuring out what repos i need to add in my fedora ecosystem

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i also have a really hard time figuring out what repos i need to add in my fedora ecosystem
i was too lazy to add them, not to find them.

in other words i wanted to janitor my computer, no kinkshaming

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well, i have a hard time figuring out what fedora repos are safe to add to my yum.repos.d. Googling for "FEDORA REPO $PACKAGE' usually yields tons of kind of not really helpful things and all of the repos don't look particularly trustworthy so I just don't use them.

fortunately the internal RH repos are good and complete and managed by people who know what they're doing so i just use those

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well, i have a hard time figuring out what fedora repos are safe to add to my yum.repos.d. Googling for "FEDORA REPO $PACKAGE' usually yields tons of kind of not really helpful things and all of the repos don't look particularly trustworthy so I just don't use them.

fortunately the internal RH repos are good and complete and managed by people who know what they're doing so i just use those
oh i see, im not strongly concerned with the repo safety so i plugged in rpmfusion which had mpv i sought to use

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Red Hat (and by extension Fedora) do not host packages that implement patent-encumbered audio/video codecs, because they do not have a royalty-free license to do so.

RPMFusion is hosted somewhere in Europe and does host packages that seamlessly add in this missing functionality, but Red Hat's lawyers don't think that it is safe for RH to officially point people to RPMFusion either.

Take it up with the MPEG LA, I guess. Or wait half a decade for the AV1 codec to get released and become widespread. Unfortunately the battle for next gen codec supremacy is gearing up to be fought between H.265 (Apple) and AV1 (literally every single other company that makes or relies on any sort of AV codecs whether in hardware or software) and, well, Apple is the only company that matters in that fight.

(See also: Metal vs Vulkan)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

kalstrams posted:

i was too lazy to add them, not to find them.

its one line tho

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

graph posted:

its one line tho
i know

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

maybe you should stop sucking so much, kalstrams

i mean, why's the first thing you're thinking after not finding ffmpeg "oh well, i'll compile it myself", when.. it's like.. a dependency to a thousand libs or progs out there

noone could ever have packaged such a lib, could they

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and im saying that coming from gentoo

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lol why didnt you just install ffmpeg from the handbrake or w/e repo that has all the video codecs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tankakern posted:

i mean, why's the first thing you're thinking after not finding ffmpeg "oh well, i'll compile it myself", when.. it's like.. a dependency to a thousand libs or progs out there

Celexi posted:

lol why didnt you just install ffmpeg from the handbrake or w/e repo that has all the video codecs
ive posted like 4 times that i didnt want to immediately add another repo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

getting shamed for janitoring my linux in the lotd thread, smh

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
like these ar e repos normally people add in fedora to use this kind of things, not sure why you thought it would be haram to add them.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

does there exists any fedora installation out there that does not have those rpmfusion repos installed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tankakern posted:

does there exists any fedora installation out there that does not have those rpmfusion repos installed
yes, fedora workstation 24 does not have them enabled by default

Celexi posted:

like these ar e repos normally people add in fedora to use this kind of things, not sure why you thought it would be haram to add them.
im dont think, and never have thought, that they are haram

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im surprised that there are people itt who cant grasp the notion of lazy person that likes cjing

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kalstrams posted:

ive spent an hour trying to compile a loving media player because linux apparently cant do video because the year is 1976

Install the fusion repositories and install vlc?

Edit* Didn't see that you had. Why didn't you do that to begin with?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Install the fusion repositories and install vlc?
read the thread, also lol at vlc

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
idk i just installed the codecs, smp player and done.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mplayer is buggy

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:jerry:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
When I was at Red Hat, we tried time and time again to find a way to "point" users towards rpmfusion without breaking the rules of Fedora's guidelines. FESCO basically turned down every option to make standard codecs more accessible to the average user.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

isn't compiling a package like the opposite of lazy? adding a repo is v easy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

isn't compiling a package like the opposite of lazy? adding a repo is v easy
yeah but i really like janitoring computers, i reinstal oses and fix random poo poo for fun. setting things up and/or getting them work is p rewarding

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

kalstrams posted:

what were your flags for compiling. 9/10 when i compile poo poo from source, i don't give it the proper flags and my LD_CONFIG fucks poo poo up or they want me to add some poo poo to it, idk. Some stuff is easy to compile from source but dependencies can be a bitch.

kalstrams posted:

yeah but i really like janitoring computers, i reinstal oses and fix random poo poo for fun. setting things up and/or getting them work is p rewarding

make some chef community scripts. also i do as well and do it has become part of my job description.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wasn't even bothering with flags, just the usual configure, make, make install charade, primarily. the only thing that didn't compile compile properly was vp9 and i didnt feel that involved to follow up and see what was the problem. i got stuck a bit on some of the things not finding their way to compiling the ffmpeg in itself, and around the time i was looking into it not seeing freshly compiled x264, i noticed that it was loving hell o'clock :v:

i'll check chef out, looks cool, thanks for the heads up

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

kalstrams posted:

i wasn't even bothering with flags, just the usual configure, make, make install charade, primarily. the only thing that didn't compile compile properly was vp9 and i didnt feel that involved to follow up and see what was the problem. i got stuck a bit on some of the things not finding their way to compiling the ffmpeg in itself, and around the time i was looking into it not seeing freshly compiled x264, i noticed that it was loving hell o'clock :v:

i'll check chef out, looks cool, thanks for the heads up

p much anything that is a dependency is gonna need some flags in my experience. stuff that depends on other poo poo doesn't really matter but dependencies always gently caress up since they don't know where your OS maintainer decided to put poo poo. Is it /usr/local/bin? or /usr/bin/? etc.

chef is pretty great though. v nice to just automate stuff you do a lot

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mr Dog posted:

Take it up with the MPEG LA, I guess. Or wait half a decade for the AV1 codec to get released and become widespread. Unfortunately the battle for next gen codec supremacy is gearing up to be fought between H.265 (Apple) and AV1 (literally every single other company that makes or relies on any sort of AV codecs whether in hardware or software) and, well, Apple is the only company that matters in that fight.

well, more like any video host that wants to distribute video will have to encode both AV1 and h.265

pirates will use av1, mac using pirates will have to install the road cone.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Wheany posted:

well, more like any video host that wants to distribute video will have to encode both AV1 and h.265

pirates will use av1, mac using pirates will have to install the road cone.

apple is part of the h265 patent pool, but they aren't using it since they would pay more in license fees than they would get from royalties

the h265 license terms are so bad that the entire streaming industry ran screaming. it's only future is in piracy and things like broadcast where they can just jack up cable bills to compensate.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
So there will be some last-minute re-negotiation with terms that are extremely favourable to Apple and extremely lovely to everybody else. The media industry is not exactly run by rube negotiators.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
This is exactly like every single situation when a large private or government organization announces that they're "totally switching their desktops to Linux". What they mean is "Hey $MICROSOFT_SALESGUY, that quote is nice and all but do ya think you can knock a few points off it?"

e: well, or that's what people used to do. you'll notice that it has become impossible to credibly pull this negotiating maneuver since 2010 when GNOME and Ubuntu hosed the GNOME chicken six ways from Sunday because it was dangerously close to actually becoming a reliable desktop product in a small but secure niche.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

kalstrams posted:

i think you misunderstand the thread

this is the linux shaming thread

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

i think you misunderstand the thread

this is the linux shaming thread
:(

Toady
Jan 12, 2009