Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Suspicious Dish posted:

It shows up in the first episode of season 3 and is universally reviled. Tied with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZa4yre0uEk for hatred.

Garbage opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Just finished Season 2 Episode 7. I CANT BELIEVE THAT poo poo. THAT WAS RIDICULOUS. gently caress ME. OH MY GOD. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

Jinho is really great, that death match is also the first one that really give a sense of time. I believe they say at some point that it took them two and a half hours to finish the Yutnori match.

No, don't be silly, it was a much more reasonable one hour forty minutes.

I'm not sure when Jinho sealed his victory but I get the feeling it has to have been long before the end, drat.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Artelier posted:

PS - I loved it when Jinho and his guest was reviewing, Jinho's comment was "I think you should stick to computer games." Also Sangmin's acting from inside the room as the bets were being placed.

Jinho was a pretty acclaimed Starcraft player in his time - but not nearly as much as NaDa, his guest for that episode. NaDa is probably bar none the most accomplished Starcraft player of all time - but not very good at The Genius.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

MisterZimbu posted:

But they rotate out a guest member of the cast on every case.

Unless I am misremembering, they only mentioned that he was a guest member starting with episode 3, after the first case. Not so coincidentally, he admitted they asked him to tone it down between case 1 and 2. Basically, Henry screwed up, the internet reacted poorly to his wackiness, and they said "oh he's just a guest" to give themselves an out if they needed one. He was still the same old Henry, and so they replaced him.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Exercu posted:

Jinho was a pretty acclaimed Starcraft player in his time - but not nearly as much as NaDa, his guest for that episode. NaDa is probably bar none the most accomplished Starcraft player of all time - but not very good at The Genius.

Flash exists, but yeah the point is valid.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Zythrst posted:

Flash exists, but yeah the point is valid.

eh, idk about that, like, obviously Flash is utterly ridiculous - but he's of a different era. All the starcraft people involved with Genius (Jinho, Yohwan, vaguely NaDa) were basically on their way out by the time Flash rolled in.

edit: but yeah, sure, Flash would probably beat the poo poo out of NaDa if they played today.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FAT BATMAN posted:

Just finished Season 2 Episode 7. I CANT BELIEVE THAT poo poo. THAT WAS RIDICULOUS. gently caress ME. OH MY GOD. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN.

It turns out Yohwan gave Jiwon the strategy of going all in to force it as a game of luck. For what it's worth consensus is that Jinho could only be beaten by pure luck. Even the first hand was the perfect hand to make him lose as he 100% made the right decision to call because 2 vs 2 was so unlikely.

Exercu posted:

eh, idk about that, like, obviously Flash is utterly ridiculous - but he's of a different era. All the starcraft people involved with Genius (Jinho, Yohwan, vaguely NaDa) were basically on their way out by the time Flash rolled in.

edit: but yeah, sure, Flash would probably beat the poo poo out of NaDa if they played today.

Though he did poorly on the day it's hard to say NaDa would be bad at the games. The guests were fairly dropped in the deep end late in the first season.

e: The Mining Game I suspected there would be a way to tell certain minerals apart and I knew that Dongmin knew about it. I think Hyunmin also knows about it because he was inspecting them before the game started. This is an interesting game because even being able to mine whatever you want it's still hard to deal with the other players' points. Also Dongmin is really kind and I love him already.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 24, 2016

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

The BTS videos for S3E5 are super mandatory. They're all about Team Dongmin.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That final mining was so goddamn intense! Also the Hyunmin Dongmin teamup is basically like ifJinho and Sangmin had ever teamed up

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Exercu posted:

EmmyOk posted:

It really really does haha! Considering the airing schedule Jinho should be well aware of Sangmin badmouthing him every minute of the day so it'd be just magical if somehow he lead to Sangmin's defeat in the penultimate episode like last time.

e: Now I'm just imaginging The Genius doubles matches where Jinho and Sangmin wreck everyone instantly
I'll keep this in mind for later.

because yeah, they ARE basically variations on the Sangmin and Jinho dynamic. Hyunmin has system mastery but maybe not so much people mastery, and Dongmin is basically Sangmin but without the chronic backstabbing disorder

Exercu fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 24, 2016

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Mining game is the one the producers were like "we didn't think this was physically possible but welp dongmin" right?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Little_wh0re posted:

Mining game is the one the producers were like "we didn't think this was physically possible but welp dongmin" right?

No, thats later, in season 4.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Mining Game is where they had that as a thing that was intended but theoretically impossible.

Then in S4E2 they do something similar, where that was meant to be impossible despite it being theoretically easier. I'm still not even sure what they thought people WOULD do for that one though. Did they really expect someone to just conveniently pick the two magnetic tokens and then use the magnet from their nameplates to draw the rest out from the box? That's just so weird and nonsensical that it can't be the intended "solution" but then there was the cutaway explanation of that as a design decision and it's just... what??

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Mining Game is where they had that as a thing that was intended but theoretically impossible.

Then in S4E2 they do something similar, where that was meant to be impossible despite it being theoretically easier. I'm still not even sure what they thought people WOULD do for that one though. Did they really expect someone to just conveniently pick the two magnetic tokens and then use the magnet from their nameplates to draw the rest out from the box? That's just so weird and nonsensical that it can't be the intended "solution" but then there was the cutaway explanation of that as a design decision and it's just... what??

If there are five kinds of tokens, then there are 10 combinations you could have picked. There are 3 combinations with no magnets, and one combination with a magnet. Either setup is directly beneficial for you if you know the trick (and still offers some benefit 6/10ths of the time).

IIRC the tokens stuck together, so noticing they were magnetic doesn't seem like that much of a stretch

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Mining game they specifically made it possible to tell what was and wasn't a bomb. They totally intended for the method Dongmin used to be valid.

It's later in season 4 that someone breaks the game by using something the producers hadn't thought of at all.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Also, sorry to ruin your keyfabe, but Kyunghoon said in an interview that him, Jinho, Hyunmin, and Dongmin could all tell the weight difference in the tokens. The producers hosed up.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah it definitely felt like they intended the bomb blocks to be slightly heavier, why else make them out of a heavier wood than the rest? Hoping for more of the dream duo going forward!

Exercu posted:

I'll keep this in mind for later.

because yeah, they ARE basically variations on the Sangmin and Jinho dynamic. Hyunmin has system mastery but maybe not so much people mastery, and Dongmin is basically Sangmin but without the chronic backstabbing disorder

lol and well called

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Double posting but the agreement at the start of Episode Six to meet in the finals has me all like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBB2bPwKWVg

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Exercu posted:

Um, how dare you compare ~my oppa :swoon:~ to one of the least likeable jerks?

One of them is ~honorable~, never loses sight of his principles, and only plays on his own terms, even if he knows he might lose. The other is a win-at-all-costs smug rear end in a top hat. Hyunmin is classically smart in that he'd definitely score well on IQ tests; Jinho probably would not.

Also I see Jinho's shtick as less system mastery, and more bend-the-rules, think-outside-the-box cheese. Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47JlT5-UQM :swoon:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hyunmin is my husband and I'll not have anyone besmirch his good name. :colbert:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
If you seriously dislike any Genius contestant other than Jiwon, you're wrong.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

If you seriously dislike any Genius contestant other than Jiwon, you're wrong.
S4 contestant spoiler: Jungmoon

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Dias posted:

Sangmin is my husband and I'll not have anyone besmirch his good name. :colbert:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Can Of Worms posted:

S4 contestant spoiler: Jungmoon

:agreed:

And in retrospect, she wasn't great in S1, either.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So two more episodes left! I'm still feeling a little cold from episode 10's guest helper shenanigans, but I want to ask, how AMAZINGZ are the final two episodes?

I'm asking in the context of "I have too many shows to watch today and need to pick one, two things max."

Like if the Genius ends with a killer bang I'd just finish it straight up. And I love the final three!

Well, final four, but RIP Sunggyu.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Artelier posted:

So two more episodes left! I'm still feeling a little cold from episode 10's guest helper shenanigans, but I want to ask, how AMAZINGZ are the final two episodes?

I'm asking in the context of "I have too many shows to watch today and need to pick one, two things max."

Like if the Genius ends with a killer bang I'd just finish it straight up. And I love the final three!

Well, final four, but RIP Sunggyu.

Episode 11 is fantastic. Episode 12 is good, but not as good as 11.

edit: I'm sure everyone can agree that 5:5 game is one of the best episodes of the Genius

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Exercu posted:

Episode 11 is fantastic. Episode 12 is good, but not as good as 11.

edit: I'm sure everyone can agree that 5:5 game is one of the best episodes of the Genius

I just introduced a new online friend to the Genius and I started a Simulwatch with her. Right after the S1 E1 I rushed her to Open Pass, then 5:5, then the finals. I described 5:5 when pitching the show too, and it was still rad to watch. Of course, right after that I jumped her ahead to S3 E1 because I needed her to hear me completely lose my poo poo for how awesome Dongmin is, despite him not actually doing all that much right away.

Bar none, the highlight had to be me completely flipping out as the Jinho Open Pass moment was coming and having convinced myself that Extreme Ways was coming, and instead it was Idiotape and I was so in the moment it took me forever to recognize that.

Anyway, I'm glad people are still being turned on to this awesome show, keep spreading the word folks so far I'm 2 for 2 on basically forcing this show on people and having them love it and want to watch 4 episodes in a row.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

NowonSA posted:

I just introduced a new online friend to the Genius and I started a Simulwatch with her. Right after the S1 E1 I rushed her to Open Pass, then 5:5, then the finals. I described 5:5 when pitching the show too, and it was still rad to watch. Of course, right after that I jumped her ahead to S3 E1 because I needed her to hear me completely lose my poo poo for how awesome Dongmin is, despite him not actually doing all that much right away.

Bar none, the highlight had to be me completely flipping out as the Jinho Open Pass moment was coming and having convinced myself that Extreme Ways was coming, and instead it was Idiotape and I was so in the moment it took me forever to recognize that.

Anyway, I'm glad people are still being turned on to this awesome show, keep spreading the word folks so far I'm 2 for 2 on basically forcing this show on people and having them love it and want to watch 4 episodes in a row.

this sounds about right, i'd also consider skipping the deathmatches.

facepalmolive posted:

Also I see Jinho's shtick as less system mastery, and more bend-the-rules, think-outside-the-box cheese. Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47JlT5-UQM :swoon:

owns

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

What is up with people watching The Genius in the worst order? Just watch it normally, it's a good show and demonstrates that every episode. There's absolutely no need to focus on the highlights first plus those highlights are even better when you naturally arrive them rather than hitting them one after another with no context or character history.

The way Korean people say "wow" makes it sound like they're bored which is a relief because I work with a Chinese guy who always says it like that too.

e: I'm reading the thread reactions to Season Three as I go and the hate for Hyunmin is bizarre imo, that player owns.

e2: Also I revised my Kyungran/Ahyoung ranking to a tie. Kyungran is flawless but Ahyoung is perfect :allears:

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 25, 2016

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

e2: Also I revised my Kyungran/Ahyoung ranking to a tie. Kyungran is flawless but Ahyoung is perfect :allears:

To be fair to Kyungran, Ahyoung happens to spend a lot of time around Dongmin who is hilarious.

Also when I said that Ahyoung-Kyunghoon isn't top three in terms of duos in s3, the three I meant were better are:

Dongmin - Ahyoung
Dongmin - Hyunmin
Dongmin - Dealer Nuna.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I completely agree with those three. Ahyoung is the perfect foil to Dongmin though because her fits of laughter are just so great.

e: also if the thread didn't dub it the MinMin Alliance I don't even know

e2: MinMin Twins is good too

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 25, 2016

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sangmin will forever be the people's champ (of my heart)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sangmin was really great but Season Two's broadcaster alliance and the fact that once Jinho was gone he had 0 obstacles helped him a lot. He does rule extremely hard though

I really like the two strongest players teaming up and doing their best to get to the top because I'd much rather seeing strong players face-off like in the first season as opposed to the second season where the Top 5 were in no way the five strongest players from that season. I think Yooyhun(?) is a strong third place and I like how he is kind of jealous of Hyunmin and looks like he wants to strangle him half the time.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

NowonSA posted:

I just introduced a new online friend to the Genius and I started a Simulwatch with her.

Are you me? I've actually had one person balk on watching though, so I'm 2/3.

We just finished the first episode of season 2 and that game was just too perfect in a way that made me feel like it might have been set up. Almost everyone had the perfect role for their temperment and the result was exactly what we all wanted.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

EmmyOk posted:

e: also if the thread didn't dub it the MinMin Alliance I don't even know

e2: MinMin Twins is good too

This gets touched upon in Season 4 Episode 1

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Next season is all returning cast right? Also if The MinMin Twins survive this five man alliance in the constellation game then the finale better be them and when dealer nuna walks in she is flanked by Jinho and Sangmin instead of the other two dealers

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, next season is a sort of allstars cast.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Time to see if Neo-Jinho has his namesake's Death Match skills!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Which episode?