Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Its a bit odd how entire orders (like scorpions) or even an entire class (such as the case with Corsola) may only be represented by a single Pokémon while other times, a single species may be represented by several families (like all the Pokémon based on the domestic cat).

What a world.

get this: they can make more pokemon in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Tyranitar is a good Pokemon despite its four times weakness to a common, powerful type because he is super versatile and is explicitly designed to look like a kaiju

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shinx is not a cat imo

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

shinx is not a cat imo

Luxray is a lion and lions are cats :colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
okay, hard mode

is Flareon a cat?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Flareon is a dingo

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Flareon is a raccoon

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm pretty sure Eevee is supposed to be a fox. And the rest are canid-like barring Vaporeon and his hosed up tail.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
All the Eevee forms are vaguely canid creatures with traits of other animals. Being difficult to link to any one animal in particular is likely deliberate.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

eevee has evolved past rudimentary notions like "canine", or "fox"

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Flareon is a disappointment

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

HoneyBoy posted:

Flareon is a disappointment
so it is a cat?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Why is flareon considered a bad thing

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

Why is flareon considered a bad thing

Its a really slow Physical Fire type that had a really bad movepool till Gen V.

It still sucks because its a really slow fire type, but its sort of a meme because Jolteon, Sylveon and Vaporeon are v. good and Espeon/Umbreon/Leafeon have niches. Also no one cares about Glaceon.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Kabutops isn't a bug type :colbert:

I meant more along the lines of the primal / ancient version of Genesect just being Kabutops.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
First-timer philosophical question: since I am a big baby newb, I have Exp. Share turned on and my team (Farfetch'd, Lucario, Pyroar, Steelix, Lapras, Chesnaught) is pretty solidly in the mid-upper-40s range (just past Lumiose City Gym) and hasn't had much trouble with just about anything to this point. I feel like I might be missing out on The Real Pokemon Experience by just sticking with them, but anything I encounter or catch is a good 10 levels behind and hard to justify swapping in without a big type advantage over the upcoming gym.

Am I playing the game wrong?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ALFbrot posted:

First-timer philosophical question: since I am a big baby newb, I have Exp. Share turned on and my team (Farfetch'd, Lucario, Pyroar, Steelix, Lapras, Chesnaught) is pretty solidly in the mid-upper-40s range (just past Lumiose City Gym) and hasn't had much trouble with just about anything to this point. I feel like I might be missing out on The Real Pokemon Experience by just sticking with them, but anything I encounter or catch is a good 10 levels behind and hard to justify swapping in without a big type advantage over the upcoming gym.

You're going to be stupidly over leveled if you leave the Exp. Share on all game. The point of it is to help the new things you encounter catch up to your team, but if you'd just like to stick with your six guys for the rest of the game, I'd recommend turning the Exp. Share off.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

If you want just those six guys, turn the Exp Share off. If you leave the Exp Share on, then rotate some new guys in, they'll catch up easy. It doesn't really matter what you pick, if you like the look of it, use it!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Calaveron posted:

Tyranitar is a good Pokemon despite its four times weakness to a common, powerful type because he is super versatile and is explicitly designed to look like a kaiju

The best actually

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

oddium posted:

sometimes i think this thread is looking at something other than how cute/cool a monster is

Shameful, isn't it?

Solumin posted:

I'm finally getting around to finishing up my 12 Pokémon run of X. I'm at the Elite 4, and I'm very conflicted about who to bring. I want all my friends to be in the Hall of Fame. :ohdear:

Also trying to find a set for Kingler (my "starter") that has good coverage and good power is a little frustrating! He has Crabhammer and Sword Dance, which is a pretty solid foundation, but Knock Off and Metal Claw are a little weak despite the coverage they give.

So do it twice! Pick 6, beat the Elite Four with them, then go back and beat them with the other 6. Then all your friends can be in the Hall of Fame!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Geokinesis posted:

It is a shame Meowth evolves into persian.

Meowth should follow the Magneton/Dugtrio route and evolve into more Meowths that are just kind of hanging out together.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Shameful, isn't it?

So do it twice! Pick 6, beat the Elite Four with them, then go back and beat them with the other 6. Then all your friends can be in the Hall of Fame!

Oh, for some reason I thought that when you rematched them, they would have stronger teams! I guess that was only in the other games. That makes doing it twice much more reasonable.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

Meowth should follow the Magneton/Dugtrio route and evolve into more Meowths that are just kind of hanging out together.

Simpsons crazy cat lady third evo for Meowth.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Geokinesis posted:

It is a shame Meowth evolves into persian.

I feel this way about Psyduck. Golduck looks so dumb in comparison. Persian also sucks. I dread the day they ruin Farfetch'd by giving him a lovely looking evolution. #KeepFarfetchdPure

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
Add Honchkrow to that list.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

There is no wrong way to play, except one that isn't fun to you. But heed the above warnings.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Farfetch'd megaevo where he's holding leeks AND salt and pepper shakers

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Immer posted:

Add Honchkrow to that list.

Do not sass my friend Honchkrow

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

honchkrow has beautiful plumage and a slick hat. but it's not a cute witch crow with prankster

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
On topic of dumb hats, as much as I like Mismagius, his Gen 6 model looks completely diffrent to me that he did in the sprites, and that sucks.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Geostomp posted:

All the Eevee forms are vaguely canid creatures with traits of other animals. Being difficult to link to any one animal in particular is likely deliberate.

They fit firmly into the canidae family. Espeon is not a cat he's a Fennec fox.

People are just dumb and like being wrong because they are stupid :colbert:

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Got my brother a 3DS and Omega Ruby for a going-to-college gift. We've been having fun trading version exclusives and spamming O-Powers at each other. He even hooked me up with an Abra, which I was having trouble catching.

Meanwhile, I'm only a Latios and a Groudon away from encountering everything in the Hoenn dex! Do you get the reward for capturing them all or just seeing them all?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kikas posted:

On topic of dumb hats, as much as I like Mismagius, his Gen 6 model looks completely diffrent to me that he did in the sprites, and that sucks.

Uh, what?

I'm not really seeing it.

Its no Purrloin or Xatu

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 25, 2016

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Unrelated, but the way Flying-types are constantly flying in place in battle is kind of goofy and dumb IMO

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Scratch-O posted:

Unrelated, but the way Flying-types are constantly flying in place in battle is kind of goofy and dumb IMO

Sky Battles were the worst idea.

Ruined so many good pokemon models, and did stupid poo poo like let Gyarados participate but not Pidgey/Natu/Hawlucha/Murkrow.

RIP Xatu, Honchkrow, Tropius, Swanna, Swellow... you used to look cool or at least better.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 25, 2016

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Zore posted:

Sky Battles were the worst idea.

Ruined so many good pokemon models, and did stupid poo poo like let Gyarados participate but not Pidgey/Natu/Hawlucha/Murkrow.

I don't think I ever did any of those. The idea was probably a lot cooler on paper.

E: Oh god, I forgot Tropius could fly. That is so stupid.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Calaveron posted:

Farfetch'd megaevo where he's holding leeks AND salt and pepper shakers

Keep your mega evo TRASH away from my pure perfect Farfetch'd :mad:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Scratch-O posted:

E: Oh god, I forgot Tropius could fly. That is so stupid cool.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Scratch-O posted:

I don't think I ever did any of those. The idea was probably a lot cooler on paper.

E: Oh god, I forgot Tropius could fly. That is so stupid.

it's an alright idea but Xatu's model is so bad they should have not implemented it based on that alone

Xatu was one of my fav sprites :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

They should've used the flying models ONLY for Sky Battles, and the Pokemon Amie standing models for regular battles.
Except for Archeops, he should keep on flapping.