Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Mordja posted:

I'm in a holding pattern until release. If it's good, I'll get TF2. If it's not, I'll get BF1, or just wait until it's cheaper and all the DLC is out.

Gonna get both because I'm an idiot and have no self control. :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Gotta say this thread is a breath of fresh air compared to the Titanfall subreddit. Personally I thought the tech test was loads of fun and addressed a lot of my issues with the first game, but I can see the points people here are making about the stuff they didn't like.

Over there? It reminds me so much of the run up to Diablo 3, where the people who never played another game after Diablo 2 came out were outraged that Blizzard would commit the heinous betrayal of not tailoring every facet of the new game specifically to them.

Diablo 3 was pretty dogshit at launch though, so there's that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Lemming posted:

It is very encouraging that they are responding to player feedback. I can't think of another time where there was a "beta" like this and there were any actual changes between it and release.

They're not addressing many of the complaints and the ones that they are will only be seeing minor adjustments. This could very well end-up being similar to the tech test at launch, just with some minor changes and adjustments under the guise of listening to the community. We'll see how things pan out with the next tech test but the overall tone and attitude of the feedback post is indicative of a "We know best" attitude that doesn't inspire much confidence. I would really like to be proven wrong, though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

They're not addressing many of the complaints and the ones that they are will only be seeing minor adjustments. This could very well end-up being similar to the tech test at launch, just with some minor changes and adjustments under the guise of listening to the community. We'll see how things pan out with the next tech test but the overall tone and attitude of the feedback post is indicative of a "We know best" attitude that doesn't inspire much confidence. I would really like to be proven wrong, though.

Like what? Admittedly I didn't play in the tech test, but that seems like a pretty good acknowledgment of a lot of the complaints and direct changes to address them in some way.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah what complaints other than attrition mode are they not addressing?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Lemming posted:

Like what? Admittedly I didn't play in the tech test, but that seems like a pretty good acknowledgment of a lot of the complaints and direct changes to address them in some way.

Well look at the change they've suggested for titan acquisition for example, where they state that now players will acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds. Will it be enough to bring titans into play as frequently as the first game? They haven't commented on the lack of AI from modes in the game (or the absence of Attrition) and those played a large part in speeding up titan acquisition. Simply adding a little to the meter every few seconds could have little to no impact on addressing the core issues in that regard. They've also ignored complaints regarding TTK of both pilots and titans. They've emphasized that objectives should be the fastest way of obtaining titans but the objectives for the modes on offer are terrible, with Amped Hardpoint forcing people to camp points and Bounty Hunt segregating enemy teams to opposite sides of the map, which goes completely against the design principles of the first game. They also say that the full game will have more traditional Titanfall maps but they can't even share a screenshot or two to back this up, and their lead designer has already said they've moved away from that kind of map design to embrace the three-lane design philosophy that Call of Duty uses for every map. The Forwardbase Kodai map we'll be seeing in the next tech test is essentially another Homestead, so they really need to show something vastly different, especially since they've made no mention of tweaking the current maps to improve them. The list goes on and on, but you get the idea.

Like I said though, I'm hoping that they can turn things around because I really want this game to be good, but the blog post on their website only describes minor tweaks and it sounds like they don't want to budge on a lot of the bigger problems with the game. Don't get me wrong, it's great that they claim to be addressing some speed complaints regarding wall running and dashing, but there's a lot that they've simply chosen to ignore or are being very cagey about answering, which makes it seems like the final game won't be much different.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's weird seeing people who played the first one be so down on this, while its not perfect there isn't much I would change other than a few tweaks. I guess id have to play TF1 to form an opinion but most of the stuff people are complaining about doesn't really sound better to me.

Personally I think Bounty Hunt is ridiculously fun and the amount of grunts and Titans is pretty good. If there were a ton of grunts I think it would less exciting because they would feel less valuable. Getting that last hit on an AI Titan is a great feeling too. Pretty much "yessss.... Oh poo poo now I can't die gently caress!"

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

SUNKOS posted:

Well look at the change they've suggested for titan acquisition for example, where they state that now players will acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds. Will it be enough to bring titans into play as frequently as the first game? They haven't commented on the lack of AI from modes in the game (or the absence of Attrition) and those played a large part in speeding up titan acquisition. Simply adding a little to the meter every few seconds could have little to no impact on addressing the core issues in that regard. They've also ignored complaints regarding TTK of both pilots and titans. They've emphasized that objectives should be the fastest way of obtaining titans but the objectives for the modes on offer are terrible, with Amped Hardpoint forcing people to camp points and Bounty Hunt segregating enemy teams to opposite sides of the map, which goes completely against the design principles of the first game. They also say that the full game will have more traditional Titanfall maps but they can't even share a screenshot or two to back this up, and their lead designer has already said they've moved away from that kind of map design to embrace the three-lane design philosophy that Call of Duty uses for every map. The Forwardbase Kodai map we'll be seeing in the next tech test is essentially another Homestead, so they really need to show something vastly different, especially since they've made no mention of tweaking the current maps to improve them. The list goes on and on, but you get the idea.

Like I said though, I'm hoping that they can turn things around because I really want this game to be good, but the blog post on their website only describes minor tweaks and it sounds like they don't want to budge on a lot of the bigger problems with the game. Don't get me wrong, it's great that they claim to be addressing some speed complaints regarding wall running and dashing, but there's a lot that they've simply chosen to ignore or are being very cagey about answering, which makes it seems like the final game won't be much different.

Oh I see, you're a moron.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hey guys I'm glad the developers said they are fixing things but they didn't give us exact numbers so clearly nothing is going to be good. Also the new map they are adding this week that no one outside of their internal test group has played is exactly like that one map people don't like. I know this because my dad works for nintendo.

Also I don't like the idea of defending control points in a territory control gamemode for reasons.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Why are you getting so upset over someone criticizing a video game?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

SUNKOS posted:

:ironicat:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Maybe I've been spoiled by the Destiny thread but it's shameful that that post hasn't been "source your quotes"-ed yet.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hulk Krogan posted:

Maybe I've been spoiled by the Destiny thread but it's shameful that that post hasn't been "source your quotes"-ed yet.

Oh gently caress if that's the case I too feel ashamed of myself for not spotting it :negative:

Also tech test weekend 2 starting soon yay!

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 25, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

I cannot recommend ignoring him enough. It's not worth it.

SUNKOS posted:

I think we'd need to see the specific tweak numbers to be able to tell, but at least they're receptive to the idea of changing their numbers. We'd need to see the passive Titan generation before passing judgment over whether it's a good enough change or not. I think TTK is actually going to be highly affected by how much they tweaked the movement numbers. If you can't run around like an idiot fast enough to make you hard to shoot, then TTK is still going to be low and people are going to camp more. If you can run/jump/climb fast enough to be hard to hit, TTK does go down and that's a big part of the reason why the first game was fun, it was cat and mouse since if you were good at doing sik parkour you were still relatively hard to kill, especially from longer distances.

Hardpoints as a game mode is necessarily going to have more camping, there's no real way around that. But that's sort of a feature of the game type. I can't comment exactly on Bounty Hunt but I bet that the movement changes would make it more dynamic.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Archive of my livestream from the last hours of the Tech Test on Sunday, mostly Bounty Hunt and talking about RPing as former Bankers. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ8MXa_sDOs

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wazzit posted:

Archive of my livestream from the last hours of the Tech Test on Sunday, mostly Bounty Hunt and talking about RPing as former Bankers. :shrug:

Did you literally just upload this? The quality is bad but I know if its a new upload the quality will get better over time and I legit wanna watch.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
The TTK seemed fine to me. Hate to break it to you guys but if it seems low to you then You're Just Bad I'm afraid

Also lol at saying the new map no one has seen is gonna be just like the bad map. We'll have to wait and see how much the tweaks changed things for the better (or worse I guess if they really gently caress it up)

Edit:

Wazzit posted:

I watched the archive of this on twitch and I gotta say you are nuts with that shoulder laser :golfclap:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I mean the devs didn't specify on the titan timer. Maybe they made it increment over time negatively, so you lose your titan build time unless you get some wicked sick kill streaks.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Did you literally just upload this? The quality is bad but I know if its a new upload the quality will get better over time and I legit wanna watch.

Huh. Weird, you're right it's capped at 480p. I had Twitch upload it to YouTube, I didn't know it had some type of quality cap, that's a bummer.

Here's the Twitch link if that looks any better. :shrug:
https://www.twitch.tv/christhemute/v/84983526

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wazzit posted:

Huh. Weird, you're right it's capped at 480p. I had Twitch upload it to YouTube, I didn't know it had some type of quality cap, that's a bummer.

Here's the Twitch link if that looks any better. :shrug:
https://www.twitch.tv/christhemute/v/84983526

I think twitch keeps non-prime-time users recordings at low res, so they probably uploaded what they had to youtube, as the twitch one is not better. That being said still gonna watch it. Like Antoine said, you are a loving mosnter with that laser. I'm primarily a PC guy so using the controller is an act of frustration and seeing you do it so flawlessly is crazy to me.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Lemming posted:

I think we'd need to see the specific tweak numbers to be able to tell, but at least they're receptive to the idea of changing their numbers. We'd need to see the passive Titan generation before passing judgment over whether it's a good enough change or not. I think TTK is actually going to be highly affected by how much they tweaked the movement numbers. If you can't run around like an idiot fast enough to make you hard to shoot, then TTK is still going to be low and people are going to camp more. If you can run/jump/climb fast enough to be hard to hit, TTK does go down and that's a big part of the reason why the first game was fun, it was cat and mouse since if you were good at doing sik parkour you were still relatively hard to kill, especially from longer distances.

I think it would be interesting if they brought a map like Angel City over to Titanfall 2 and used that as a test bed of sorts to see how everything balances out in an environment that gives pilots the mobility they need and also provides plenty of cover for titans as well. For all we know everything could actually work brilliantly as it right now if the map design was better. A lot of people are still frustrated about the removal of shields and the changes to rodeoing for example, but those changes could work fine in an environment like Angel City or Colony where pilots have plenty of options for getting around and titans have no shortage of cover. I think Respawn are shying away from that much verticality, though.

Lemming posted:

Hardpoints as a game mode is necessarily going to have more camping, there's no real way around that. But that's sort of a feature of the game type. I can't comment exactly on Bounty Hunt but I bet that the movement changes would make it more dynamic.

Yeah, Hardpoint was in the first game. I'm referring to the amped mechanic specifically though, whereby you need to sit by the point to amp it for more points, and once you start to walk away the amp meter starts ticking down because the range is tiny. It's a bizarre choice that means you either have to sit right on the point to keep it amped which seems like the exact opposite of what you should be doing in a game like this. For comparison the hardpoint capture range in the first game was actually a lot larger to accommodate fighting over points. I'm not sure why they shrunk it so much with the sequel and added the amped mechanic to tether people to points.

Antoine Silvere posted:

Also lol at saying the new map no one has seen is gonna be just like the bad map.

A lot of people have seen it. It's a matter of personal preference whether you think it looks good or not. The map isn't as open as Homestead because there's an interior to the base under the field you see in the screenshot, which has a lane for titans to run through the middle and drop down to from above.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Wazzit posted:

So it might be worth taking a look into but I notice you don't seem to slide much and honestly constantly sliding is the way to go. You can kinda bunny hop with the extra speed from the slide and used in conjunction with the grapple you'll basically be a ball of hard to hit momentum.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Niggurath posted:

So it might be worth taking a look into but I notice you don't seem to slide much and honestly constantly sliding is the way to go. You can kinda bunny hop with the extra speed from the slide and used in conjunction with the grapple you'll basically be a ball of hard to hit momentum.

I'm pretty terrible at bunny hopping, but I'll give that a shot this weekend.

Knifegrab posted:

I think twitch keeps non-prime-time users recordings at low res, so they probably uploaded what they had to youtube, as the twitch one is not better. That being said still gonna watch it. Like Antoine said, you are a loving mosnter with that laser. I'm primarily a PC guy so using the controller is an act of frustration and seeing you do it so flawlessly is crazy to me.

Thanks, the shoulder laser is super powerful, wondering how the balance will be once people realize how much range it has.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Looking at streams, it seems the spread on a lot of the weapons is much tighter? Apparently the CAR is bugged so hipfire is more accurate than aiming down the sights, but it does feel like the range of engagement is much further than the first game. Which would explain why TTK feels so short and you can't run around as much anymore

mind you my go-to loadouts in the first were short ranged weapons, so the rampant use of the stock rifle may be skewing my view here

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm just wondering how a 3 lane map system is going to work when they have to scale it with both pilots and titans walking through them at the same time. Not to mention how crowed it will be trying to play Bounty Hunter with the AI running around on top of that.

Perhaps that's why they went a more traditional energy/almost killstreak style system instead of a timer for the titans. In my head i'm imagining a Black Ops 3 style map with 12 titans all running around and it just doesn't work. With the new system you'd only have a max of 1 or 2 titans per team at any given time.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm just wondering how a 3 lane map system is going to work when they have to scale it with both pilots and titans walking through them at the same time. Not to mention how crowed it will be trying to play Bounty Hunter with the AI running around on top of that.

Perhaps that's why they went a more traditional energy/almost killstreak style system instead of a timer for the titans. In my head i'm imagining a Black Ops 3 style map with 12 titans all running around and it just doesn't work. With the new system you'd only have a max of 1 or 2 titans per team at any given time.

I don't really understand the 3 lane idea. Homestead kind of has a center lane sure. but the rest of it is super open. THere are way more than 3 lanes.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I want to consider 3 lane philosophies as lazy thinking since all you need to do for 3-lanes is set the lane length then bend the lanes as you see fit. Instead of trying to make a balanced but asymmetrical map.

Wonder if that's the moba fad's fault.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

widespread posted:

I want to consider 3 lane philosophies as lazy thinking since all you need to do for 3-lanes is set the lane length then bend the lanes as you see fit. Instead of trying to make a balanced but asymmetrical map.

Wonder if that's the moba fad's fault.

Probably. gently caress mobas.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Why would they reward killstreaks with titans? Do they have some other currency to help people who are behind? Wouldn't rewarding the player on top with power just keep the scales uneven?

I'm thinking about tlou here, but in that game it gives extra supplies to the losing team in order to encourage close rounds, which ups the suspense.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I mean, you earned your titan faster in the first game if you went on a killstreak. Nothing has changed in that regard. Also, earning a titan in TF2 wasn't locked behind going on a killstreak, as your progress wasn't lost on death. Anyway, we don't need to worry about that now as Respawn went back to the timer system.

Javes fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 25, 2016

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Anybody else notice that your opponent wasn't always the Apex Predators or the 6-4? It always reverted back to one of them in the postgame summary, but mid-game there were at least four more factions.

Aces
Ares
Vinson Dynamics
M-COR? It looks like the old militia symbol and there's an M in there. The Marauder Corps was the brigade of the Militia you played as last game.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Patch notes for this weekend, looks like they've implemented some of the changes to this version. (Don't know how that works since this build is also from June :shrug: )

https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/discussion/3323/titanfall-2-pre-alpha-tech-test-weekend-2-patch-update-x1-ps4#latest

quote:

Here are the patch notes for the second weekend of Tech Test. Please make sure you install the update to the Tech Test so that you can experience these updates yourself.
TIME TO KILL
Amped Weapons Boost now unlocks at 80% of the earn meter instead of 50%.
Charge Rifles now have damage falloff at cross map distances.
Slightly increased cloak visibility for other Pilots.
We think the abundance of Amped Weapons is a large contributor to lower time to kill. We’re still adjusting individual weapon balance for ship.
MOBILITY
Increased max wall-running speed.
Increased base wall-running speed and air speed.
Increased acceleration while jumping off walls.
Titans dashes recharge 2 seconds faster
Training is unaffected by these changes, ensuring Gauntlet records will remain valid.
TITAN TIMER
Pilots now earn a small amount of Titan meter every 5 seconds.
This value may be undertuned until we can take a pass at how much meter you earn from objectives.
BOUNTY HUNT
Score Limit lowered to 5000 from 6000 to increase the amount of games won by score instead of time.
Banking phases now last 45 seconds instead of a minute.
TECHNICAL FIXES
Fixed some issues with the outer deadzone on PlayStation controllers.
We wanted to note and apologize for “Invite Friends” still being broken in this build. We needed to get the patch to certification quickly to ensure gameplay changes could make it in for this weekend, so we couldn’t get to this in time.
AMPED HAPPY HOUR EVENT
Lastly we will be offering players the chance to receive this callsign for launch when you play the Amped Happy Hour event this Saturday. All you need to do is play between the hours of 9-10am PT/5-6pm GMT or 4-5pm PT Saturday/12-1am GMT Sunday and you’ll get this exclusive callsign when Titanfall 2 releases on October 28.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wazzit posted:

Patch notes for this weekend, looks like they've implemented some of the changes to this version. (Don't know how that works since this build is also from June :shrug: )

https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/discussion/3323/titanfall-2-pre-alpha-tech-test-weekend-2-patch-update-x1-ps4#latest

Sounds like a bunch of rad changes, looking forward to it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd be happy if they got rid of amped weapons altogether. Something that just gives your guns more damage sounds boring anyway.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Respawn posted:

We think the abundance of Amped Weapons is a large contributor to lower time to kill. We’re still adjusting individual weapon balance for ship.

Good assessment. These were much less common in the original game since they were relegated to burn cards, which would explain why people feel the TTK is lower despite Respawn's insistence that damage values and health have remained the same. On the topic of weapons, I still can't fathom why they've changed things in Titanfall 2 to make players choose between either a sidearm or anti-titan weapon, rather than letting them carry both like in the first game. Limiting options like that seems to go against their intentions of more customization, so it would be nice to see them revert to letting players carry both.

I think that it would probably be a good idea to add some zip lines to the Homestead map as well, seems like a quick and easy adjustment to give pilots some extra mobility options across the map since they worked well enough in the first game.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

SUNKOS posted:

Good assessment. These were much less common in the original game since they were relegated to burn cards, which would explain why people feel the TTK is lower despite Respawn's insistence that damage values and health have remained the same. On the topic of weapons, I still can't fathom why they've changed things in Titanfall 2 to make players choose between either a sidearm or anti-titan weapon, rather than letting them carry both like in the first game. Limiting options like that seems to go against their intentions of more customization, so it would be nice to see them revert to letting players carry both.

I think that it would probably be a good idea to add some zip lines to the Homestead map as well, seems like a quick and easy adjustment to give pilots some extra mobility options across the map since they worked well enough in the first game.

Zip lines would be cool, they were fun in the first game. And yeah, amped weapons are pretty boring IMO.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Antoine Silvere posted:

Zip lines would be cool, they were fun in the first game. And yeah, amped weapons are pretty boring IMO.

Unless they're amped smart pistols which trigger something in peoples' minds that causes them to lose their poo poo

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Zip lines would be dope agreed.

Amped weapons are pretty lack luster. I feel like they balanced it around "Well in the first one you could equip three burn cards." But realistically not everyone used all three burn cards for amped weapons, so the fact that you can earn amped weapons 3-4 times in TF2 doesn't quite add up.

I'd much prefer they went with something way more exciting for the burn card replacement, but we'll see I guess.

They definitely should add zip lines to homestead though. Tweet that poo poo at them its the best idea so far.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

grapple hooks for all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Game definitely has one of the best grappling hooks. I like that it's a combo of just pulling the place where you want to go but you have to pay attention because physics still come into play.