Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zore posted:

There's only ever been like 5 ice types worth using, and mostly because they had something almost wholly unique.

Weavile, Mamoswine, Abomasnow (kinda), Froslass and Cloyster.

Jynx was surprisingly good in Gen I! So were Articuno and Lapras!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Abomasnow has the niche of canceling your opponents weather with hail. Hail is so lovely you never have to worry about the enemy benefiting from it! :shepface:

mandatory lesbian posted:

the first dragon legend wasn't until gen 3, which is really weird but gamefreak gonna gamefreak i guess

I was counting up to gen 4 as old gens in that post. I was thinking they didn't start adding mediocre dragons until gen 4 but I completely forgot that Altaria exists and is inexplicably a dragon. So I guess it has the dubious honor of being the first crummy dragon.

Gen 2 didn't even add a dragon type.

EDIT: Wait no it added Kingdra, forgot him too. Kingdra is good though, despite not being a stat freak.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 25, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Kingdra. :colbert:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Internet Kraken posted:

I was counting up to gen 4 as old gens in that post. I was thinking they didn't start adding mediocre dragons until gen 4 but I completely forgot that Altaria exists and is inexplicably a dragon. So I guess it has the dubious honor of being the first crummy dragon.

Well there's Kingdra, who was okay. But yeah, Dragon was pretty much just a stronger version of the Normal type back in the GB days.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

garchomp can fly. flygon can fly. golurk can fly. if you don't know why a pokemon is ground type it's because they can fly

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Somebody still has yet to explain to me Dragon Rage

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Calaveron posted:

Somebody still has yet to explain to me Dragon Rage

it does 40 damage

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
But why is it the only dragon type move in that generation and why does it only do one effectively making dragons even bigger powerhouses since ice pokemon loving suck

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Where's my non-mega non-legendary fire/dragon who doesn't look like the world's spikiest turtle?
That's rather specific!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well megas and legendaries don't count and the upcoming fire/dragon looks dumb so I thought it was the exact right amount of specific personally

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

garchomp can fly. flygon can fly. golurk can fly. if you don't know why a pokemon is ground type it's because they can fly

this is also the reason they are all dragon types

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I just got X after a long hiatus and then went and got an Arceus code. I feel like I'm missing out on a distribution or two. I saw something about a Mew from a newsletter back in June. Is there anything like that going on now?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

Kyurem White is also usable.

all three kyurems are good

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

But why is it the only dragon type move in that generation and why does it only do one effectively making dragons even bigger powerhouses since ice pokemon loving suck

lapras, cloyster, and jynx were good and blizzard was amazing

and dragonite had no stab

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ice type Pokemon were never really Dragon slayers though. Dragons usually had a fairly diverse movepool that could easily take down most of them. Dragon types feared Ice type moves since Pokemon that couldn't get taken down by them so easily could carry them. Ice didn't even resist Dragon type moves.

hi mamoswine here, and i've killed more dragons than the protagonist of skyrim

also sub/roost/dragon tail/iron head kyurem-B was one of my favorite sets when that was legal in UU

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 26, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dexie posted:

Oh man, Lapras kicked ASSpras in gen 1 and 2! She was my designated dragon slayer and her ice beams of power served me well.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

you don't need ice type pokemon to use blizzard, tauros and starmie were two of the best blizzard users in gen 1

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Starmie is one of the best at anything in every generation.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dexie posted:

jynx had an ubers set in gen 5, because gen 5 ubers was a format where rain was essentially permanent, and she could basically wall a kyogre and then lovely kiss whatever switches in

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ruggington posted:

lapras, cloyster, and jynx were good and blizzard was amazing

and dragonite had no stab

but dragonite could always learn wing attack and fly??????

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zoness posted:

jynx had an ubers set in gen 5, because gen 5 ubers was a format where rain was essentially permanent, and she could basically wall a kyogre and then lovely kiss whatever switches in

For some reason this fills me with joy to hear.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Zore posted:

but dragonite could always learn wing attack and fly??????

Are you sure about that? This is Gen 1 we're talking about.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Lmao

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Crosspeice posted:

God drat, Gen 1 sucked.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crosspeice posted:

Goddammit. I almost checked too.

Gen 1 was dire

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

sharrrk posted:

this is also the reason they are all dragon types

Golurk just needs to muster the willpower to call his beast expansion mech, you just wait.

Zore posted:

Goddammit. I almost checked too.

Gen 1 was dire

It very much was. We are very, very lucky the core idea shined through enough to keep us hooked to that broken mess long enough for them to fix some of it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Golurk and Metagross need to combine like the megazord and the dragonzord

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

golurk is going to dna digivolve with aegislash

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Geostomp posted:

Golurk just needs to muster the willpower to call his beast expansion mech, you just wait.

It very much was. We are very, very lucky the core idea shined through enough to keep us hooked to that broken mess long enough for them to fix some of it.

jesus, it's hard, now, playing Pokemon games with physical/special moves tied to typing, limited use TMs, and tons of Pokemon not learning any good STAB until level 60 or so, or never.
at least HGSS gives out infinite Headbutt, and there's no reason not to teach it to everything that could possibly learn it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dexie posted:

For some reason this fills me with joy to hear.

There's almost always a few pokemon who are surprisingly effective in ubers because they are so anti-meta for the metagame at the time. Bronzong seems to be one of the big examples this time around.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah but gently caress Bronzong. Bane of my existence during Gen IV.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dexie posted:

I feel like Bronzong is probably the pokemon hardest hit by the loss of Dark/Ghost resistance by Steel.

RIP the weird gimmicky Heatproof Bronzong I used to troll with in Gen IV.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

dude789 posted:

There's almost always a few pokemon who are surprisingly effective in ubers because they are so anti-meta for the metagame at the time. Bronzong seems to be one of the big examples this time around.

I remember when Shedinja used to be a classic for walling Kyogre and several other mons in that tier.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I believe Kyogre still doesn't carry anything to hit Shedinja, but with Groudon running rampant you really don't see it much anymore. But man, it was a great way to stop some rain teams cold.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The best pokemon is your favorite pokemon

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dexie posted:

If you like Alomomola, he's surprisingly high up in the current ubers viability as well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zore posted:

I feel like Bronzong is probably the pokemon hardest hit by the loss of Dark/Ghost resistance by Steel.

RIP the weird gimmicky Heatproof Bronzong I used to troll with in Gen IV.

It's a crime that Heatproof didnt grant a fire immunity

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Calaveron posted:

The best pokemon is your favorite pokemon

im glad you agree that garbodor is the best pokemon

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I forget, was Garbodor and Trubbish exclusive to the Jersey part of the Unova map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
I don't care for Garbador's design but Trubbish looks great.