Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They should be making Astro Boy Omega Factor 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Omega Factor was done by Treasure though, and they're effectively completely out of business at this point.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Anyone remember Kickstarter/EA darling Nekro? I don't think it's been mentioned (I did a search) but it died and nobody noticed.

Another one to add to the "promising games that didn't get finished" pile I guess.

One of the devs left this review and then the game got pulled from Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/drkSeed/recommended/246400/

Thoughtless fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 26, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
For some reason I feel like I knew that but that still sucks. Also I got worried that Nekro was the Painkiller dudes game but nope it's the Dungeon Keeper thing.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

al-azad posted:

People get stabbed at YGO tournaments, that poo poo is serious.

Hey, they're just being true to the source material.

Actually, that image is a pretty apt metaphor for CCGs in general. :v:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Kay Kessler posted:

Hey, they're just being true to the source material.

Actually, that image is a pretty apt metaphor for CCGs in general. :v:

Missing the part right after that where Yugi just loving stabs the dude in the hand because he was a fucker.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Thoughtless posted:

Anyone remember Kickstarter/EA darling Nekro? I don't think it's been mentioned (I did a search) but it died and nobody noticed.

Another one to add to the "promising games that didn't get finished" pile I guess.

One of the devs left this review and then the game got pulled from Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/drkSeed/recommended/246400/

Bear in mind Scott was taking 100% of all revenue even though we have a contract that explicitly states he can only take 50%. His reasoning was - “this is the only way we are going to finish the game”. So I obliged him

With business acumen like this, I'm not sure how the project failed.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Thoughtless posted:

Has "release what we have, the sales will fund the rest of the game" strategy worked for anyone else?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Wamdoodle posted:

Has "release what we have, the sales will fund the rest of the game" strategy worked for anyone else?

Yes, but people don't talk about it when it works. Mostly because it sounds like you were willing to gently caress people over if it didn't work!

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

randombattle posted:

Missing the part right after that where Yugi just loving stabs the dude in the hand because he was a fucker.

Nah, the dude tried to break the rules of the game and stab Yugi. The game was also part magic and the guy was losing control of his hand to his greed so he knew that he couldn't not stab his hand if he went for more money so he just tried to kill Yugi. Its all good though, Yugi dodged it and trapped him in an illusion where he saw everything on the ground as money, and needed to be taken to the hospital because of it.

Early YuGiOh is some crazy poo poo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's crazy how many Kickstarters fail because one person takes all of the money and everyone else involved is just like "well okay I guess." Good lord what a bunch of spineless nerds.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

Does Broken Age count?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

Yes, but people don't talk about it when it works. Mostly because it sounds like you were willing to gently caress people over if it didn't work!

Yeah, I figured as much. I guess you wouldn't want to admit to scraping by like that because of how underhanded it sounds.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Does Broken Age count?

Lol, I guess it does work! Score 1 for that strategy! :downs:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Wamdoodle posted:

Shovel Knight's stretch content, I guess? They were upfront about it since before they were even funded, at least.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Shovel Knight's stretch content, I guess? They were upfront about it since before they were even funded, at least.

Tbf though, Shovel Knight was a complete and fun game on release. Everything else has just been icing :)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

I usually don't even play the video, just scroll through the page

Back in 2012 and 2013 I used to watch the videos of every gaming kickstarter I came across but these days I don't even bother. They're all so formulaic and there's just so many of them, why waste my time boring myself to tears with that poo poo when I can just look at the pictures and skim the page for some of the more interesting bits? Back in the early days of game kickstarters, everyone's number 1 recommendation seemed to be to make a compelling pitch video. Now, I'm just like who cares? I'm sure some people do so you shouldn't neglect it completely, but really I just don't think pitch videos are very important anymore.

Pitch videos peaked in 2013 anyway: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/315061806/nelly-cootalot-the-fowl-fleet-retro-pirate-adventu/description

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
If you backed Starr Mazer you might already be in possession of a key for its prequel, Starr Mazer DSP, that just launched on Early Access. If you didn't back at that level, the game is 50% off for all backers either way. Otherwise it's ten bucks. Here's an imgur album that tells its story.

That's pixel art done right.

My favorite part about it are the pilots - everything from their features to their likes and dislikes is procedurally generated, and they're all excellently voice acted. That's huge for me, because I tend not to relate as much when it's just a tiny ship representing me on screen.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Yodzilla posted:

It's crazy how many Kickstarters fail because one person takes all of the money and everyone else involved is just like "well okay I guess." Good lord what a bunch of spineless nerds.
I imagine taking legal recourse would sink the project just as well. Most indie teams are super brittle and don't account for anyone loving up and, god forbid, needing to be replaced.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mr Underhill posted:

That's pixel art done right.

I got a great sketch card done at MAGFest that turned out to be the lead artist behind this project (Maximo V. Lorenzo) without even knowing until after the con. Really good artists behind this project, made me regret not Kickstarting it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Accordion Man posted:

LISA at least has the wrestling sidequest.
Similarly, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SupSuper posted:

I imagine taking legal recourse would sink the project just as well. Most indie teams are super brittle and don't account for anyone loving up and, god forbid, needing to be replaced.

The project has already sunk at this point. What does he have to lose? When I read that I was baffled, how is this NOT lawsuit material? Only thing I can think of is that the dev who posted that wasn't telling the full story, which is usually the case when it comes to these things.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
do you guys think teams decide a scapegoat beforehand or does the guy who "ran of with the money" develop naturally?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The project has already sunk at this point. What does he have to lose? When I read that I was baffled, how is this NOT lawsuit material? Only thing I can think of is that the dev who posted that wasn't telling the full story, which is usually the case when it comes to these things.

The amount of money that hasn't yet been spent would have to substantial for it to even be worth a lawsuit. You could sue them for satisfaction/justice I guess but most indie game devs can't afford to keep a lawyer on retainer.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Shovel Knight >:)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hat Thoughts posted:

Minecraft did OK too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

Didn't Shovel Knight release the full base game? The other characters' campaigns are all stretch goals.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well, this doesn't seem suss at all: The OTON X: A "Linux PC, autonomous game console, developer tool, media hub and social hub all in one device for under $500" that claims to procedurally generate all its games, which look strangely like those bad Android clones of old games with weird ill-fitting hi-res graphics.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
How do you, uh... procedurally generate a game? Elements within the game, yes, but...

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pureauthor posted:

How do you, uh... procedurally generate a game? Elements within the game, yes, but...

Build a set of lovely games (at least one per gameplay genre) and then randomise the game rules and content within set parameters.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

Build a set of lovely games (at least one per gameplay genre) and then randomise the game rules and content within set parameters.

I'd like someone do a videogame take on 504.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ruin of the Reckless is yet another topdown action roguelike. It also looks pretty neat, if you're into that sorta thing.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Screen shake looks super obnoxious.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

So one of those 1000-in-1 cartridges with hires graphics?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

How did we do it? Our proprietary software is 3 years in the making. We took a radical idea on paper and turned it into a fully working system. This version of OTON is strictly a high level developer unit. Each OTON unit will have onboard Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and unlimited storage. The OTON X console takes the hassle out of buying games, loading games and trying to find something new to play. Every two months we will offer free updates, game assets and new mini levels to play on the OTON X system.

Hello I would like to order your unlimited storage hard drive please

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I thought I remembered that piece of poo poo.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/10/3833080/oton-autonomous-game-console-crowdfunding

I'm fairly sure it was talked about in the Ouya thread back in 2013.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Megazver posted:

Ruin of the Reckless is yet another topdown action roguelike. It also looks pretty neat, if you're into that sorta thing.

"gently caress you Nuclear Throne this is what screen shake really looks like"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Maluco Marinero posted:

Finally, an answer to a problem nobody had with a solution nobody wanted.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

It uses the indie game generator of course

quote:

Monkey Island™ 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge™ faithfully re-imagines the internationally-acclaimed classic game genres: Breakout and Space Invaders. It's been 80 long years since your ancestors trod across the street and they will surely die a fiery end.

:smith:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Yodzilla posted:

Not quite Kickstarter but close enough.
http://kotaku.com/sex-game-cancelled-after-taking-in-five-figures-a-month-1783682938

The other big example I can think of is that Yogventures where I believe the artist literally took the money and ran? I think a lot of other bullshit went into that one going under though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I remember a "Our contract with the programmer didn't include him actually needing to do anything to get paid, so we don't have the money to hire someone else do do the work."