Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

drrockso20 posted:

Heck some don't even need it as their demeanor are already pretty human compatible, like with Hedgehogs

Yeah, and as a result hedgehogs are heavily trafficked animals. I get the fact that certain animals are already in circulation, being bred privately in good conditions, or are the result of many generations of semi-domestication. But I agree with the legal approach here, because skunks are native to this area and the demand for them as pets could have a really bad impact on the wild population. Adding new species to the ranks of potential pets is usually more harmful than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

neonnoodle posted:

Yeah, and as a result hedgehogs are heavily trafficked animals. I get the fact that certain animals are already in circulation, being bred privately in good conditions, or are the result of many generations of semi-domestication. But I agree with the legal approach here, because skunks are native to this area and the demand for them as pets could have a really bad impact on the wild population. Adding new species to the ranks of potential pets is usually more harmful than not.

To be fair, considering what we did with cats (nature's most adorable killing machines) we probably shouldn't actually make more animals into pets.

Here's a video of one poking at a mirror

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kwyndig posted:

To be fair, considering what we did with cats (nature's most adorable killing machines) we probably shouldn't actually make more animals into pets.

Here's a video of one poking at a mirror

There have been studies noting that cats honestly aren't domesticated compared to most animals we consider that way - your typical house cat is much closer to an Africa wildcat than a dog is to a wolf or a cow to an auroch. Those animals, we specifically bred to be docile, obedient, and generally less dangerous. Cats just showed up when humans started farming because fields and granaries attracted lots of pests which the cats saw as easy meals of their own with ready access to shelter, and cats haven't changed much since. Cats go feral and turn into murderous little predators easily and only a few breeds like persians and ragdolls can be considered truly domesticated.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cythereal posted:

There have been studies noting that cats honestly aren't domesticated compared to most animals we consider that way - your typical house cat is much closer to an Africa wildcat than a dog is to a wolf or a cow to an auroch. Those animals, we specifically bred to be docile, obedient, and generally less dangerous. Cats just showed up when humans started farming because fields and granaries attracted lots of pests which the cats saw as easy meals of their own with ready access to shelter, and cats haven't changed much since. Cats go feral and turn into murderous little predators easily and only a few breeds like persians and ragdolls can be considered truly domesticated.

I was more referring to the fact everywhere we go cats follow and kind of destroy everything, for fun.

To be fair, it's cute.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kwyndig posted:

I was more referring to the fact everywhere we go cats follow and kind of destroy everything, for fun.

To be fair, it's cute.

It does not follow from this that we shouldn't domesticate other animals. I find it hard to imagine capybaras decimating songbird populations, for example.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kwyndig posted:

To be fair, it's cute.

Their capacity for destruction and wanton slaughter is why early human civilization welcomed cats. :v: That they're adorable was merely a bonus.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Resident killing machine has completed her evening ritual of slaughtering a rattle mouse and is currently drooling on the mousepad.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sometimes domestication is the only thing preventing a species from going extinct.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Oh uh, cute picture? Right, here you go:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Mmm. Cats are closer to (non-pet) pigeons and rats and roaches, in that they moved into a convenient niche that we created, but not much adapting was actually required.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

good

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

My dogs play with each other a lot, but they rarely cuddle. Yesterday I caught them cuddling on the couch while I was working. This was after the darker one lovingly sniffed the ears, neck and back of the lighter one and decided this was the best place for her head. Also please notice her pirate ear, where she survived being attacked at daycare earlier this year.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Owl aboard! :toot:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

:eek:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/8Gz1lFv.gifv

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

This little poo poo is coming home with me next week. His name is Sushi :3:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sushi looks like a good cat. :3:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The spirit animal of Al Bundy...

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

tumblr of cute animal art :3:

http://cryptid-creations.tumblr.com/

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/CuteEmergency/status/768574864299024385
:aaaaa:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/SbnZrLY.gifv

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Wolves are huge! :stare:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That much more belly to rub

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So one of the baby rabbits in this underground nest right in front of my house left the nest and then got scared and couldn't find his way back (even though it's literally 2 feet away), so I took a picture of him before his mom (hopefully) returned that evening and brought him back to their nest. The picture does not properly capture how cute he looks.

Poor thing was literally scared stiff and stayed in the exact same position for hours. When I get home I'll check and see if he returned to his nest.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/OEziFGk.gifv

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ytlaya posted:

So one of the baby rabbits in this underground nest right in front of my house left the nest and then got scared and couldn't find his way back (even though it's literally 2 feet away), so I took a picture of him before his mom (hopefully) returned that evening and brought him back to their nest. The picture does not properly capture how cute he looks.

Poor thing was literally scared stiff and stayed in the exact same position for hours. When I get home I'll check and see if he returned to his nest.

Stay strong little bun :3:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Ytlaya posted:

Baby rabbits staying perfectly still in the same spot all day is normal behavior for them. Don't worry! :3:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUIXSGBElLY

http://i.imgur.com/jLveaQJ.mp4

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Fatass and Fussy

shwag
Apr 23, 2008

I'd watch the hell out of American Ninja Warrior Dogs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"American Wolf" for repurposed agility courses...

you could probably legit sell that to Animal Planet

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If a goddamn Wolf demands you pet that belly, you pet that belly until it decides otherwise :ohdear:.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow I had no idea wolves where that big or friendly.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

"Friendly" no doubt depends on frequent visits and socialization. Iirc, that gif features a wolf and a volunteer from a wolf rescue.

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.

WampaLord posted:

Sushi looks like a good cat. :3:

I had a fish named sushi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

my cat is norris posted:

"Friendly" no doubt depends on frequent visits and socialization. Iirc, that gif features a wolf and a volunteer from a wolf rescue.

Yeah if you happen to bump into a wolf in the woods, dont try this