Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Duckbag posted:

Wasn't the line about recognizing bear fur because of her stepdad from the Herb funeral episode, half way through season 2 though? Incidentally, I think it's pretty clear the writers knew she was doomed from the start. Her introductory episode has her saying she's going to die tragically young. Season 2 we see her at a funeral, failing to learn anything from it. Season 3, she's talking to BoJack while painting her nails while driving (pretty similar to how Herb went out, actually) and crashes as the phone hangs up. It's a lot of foreshadowing.

The only weird McFarlanesque cutaway I can think of is from the very first episode actually, when we suddenly flash to Todd tied up by the Mexican gangster for selling E on his turf. Weirdly enough, Todd being a drug dealer (or even doing anything more illegal than smoking weed and selling fake David Boreanas merch) has never been touched on since.

I almost feel like that was thrown in as a sop to people who might have started watching the show because someone told them "Get this, it has Aaron Paul basically playing Jesse Pinkman as a wacky sitcom neghbor". Or because that's how they themselves thought of him at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

This cutaway gag in the first episode IMO exemplifies the broad, offputting humor that makes early season 1 a slog (although it's interesting to note that PC wanting a kid stuck around as a character trait)

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I agree it's not a great joke (well, except for "hey, aren't you the horse...") but is that really exemplary of the jokes in Season 1?

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Only the bad ones!

(fwiw I think the show was good by at least episode 6 and was steadily improving even before then.)

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Duckbag posted:

Wasn't the line about recognizing bear fur because of her stepdad from the Herb funeral episode, half way through season 2 though? Incidentally, I think it's pretty clear the writers knew she was doomed from the start. Her introductory episode has her saying she's going to die tragically young. Season 2 we see her at a funeral, failing to learn anything from it. Season 3, she's talking to BoJack while painting her nails while driving (pretty similar to how Herb went out, actually) and crashes as the phone hangs up. It's a lot of foreshadowing.

When I first saw the bear fur thing in 'Still Broken',' I didn't think much of it. It seemed like a fairly innocuous animal world joke; like, she expertly identifies an animal's fur by taste, like an experienced outdoorsman survivalist type, only in the Bojack universe, such a skill could be honed simply by living with certain species. "These are elk tracks. Oh, yeah, my college roommate was an elk."

I mean, the same episode contains the cryptic and ominous reference to her younger self being homeschooled by her negligent mother's photographer boyfriend, but I still prefer to think it was an unsavory reveal of yet another way young Sarah Lynn was exploited. (I.e. he took otherwise innocuous pictures of her but put them on the internet for creeps to look at.)

I mean, the deeper reading of the bear fur thing would imply probably years of sexual abuse, rape. Besides being super dark, I honestly think her back stohery was sufficiently tragic without the rape element- but that might just be my exasperation with the general screenwriting trend of "rape is always the main bad thing in any female character's tragic back story."

Also, yes, her death has been foreshadowed a lot since season one. But this is a show that likes to set up expectations and then subvert them- and besides, no one could predict exactly how they'd handle her death. I'm actually glad we got this gut wrenching conclusion instead of an off screen moment. "Oh did you hear Sarah Lynn died?" That would have been a missed opportunity, 3x11 was the most powerful moment in the series by far. And it still has funny lines left and right! "Well I'll be dick-sucked by a dumb poo poo! What have we here??"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

I agree it's not a great joke (well, except for "hey, aren't you the horse...") but is that really exemplary of the jokes in Season 1?

Yes it is

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Duckbag posted:

The only weird McFarlanesque cutaway I can think of is from the very first episode actually, when we suddenly flash to Todd tied up by the Mexican gangster for selling E on his turf. Weirdly enough, Todd being a drug dealer (or even doing anything more illegal than smoking weed and selling fake David Boreanas merch) has never been touched on since.
There's more than a few of them in the first few episodes and while they're not cutting to random 80s references, it's still easy and lazy comedy writing that's become to go-to for mass appeal because you can basically edit any conversation to set one up. Example being the "baby" cutaway above. Bob's Burgers, American Dad, and others started out laying heavy on the cutaways in their early episodes before doing their own thing as well. It's like the creators don't trust the audience to stick around long enough to warm up to their characters and style of humor so they stick these in.

i am the bird posted:

For the first 4 or 5 episodes or so, yes. It hits all the notes of lazy modern comedy: - trying hard to be edgy and shocking - a cutaway setup - overexplaining the joke (would have worked better without Bojack's line at the end)

There's still some good jokes in the mix, but they're overshadowed by this stuff.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also they sure do take up time the way they need to if you want to pad out a thin script.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The worst joke in the entire show is still the "what are YOUUUUUU doing here?" thing from 201, in my opinion. The idea behind it is solid but the execution (specifically the delivery being THAT poo poo and over-the-top) is cringeworthy.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Escobarbarian posted:

The worst joke in the entire show is still the "what are YOUUUUUU doing here?" thing from 201, in my opinion. The idea behind it is solid but the execution (specifically the delivery being THAT poo poo and over-the-top) is cringeworthy.

I like to think "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat" from 106 is their worst joke.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aw man, I liked whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. :saddowns:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Really? It felt like a pretty solid character moment for Bojack. He's choking hard because in his head he's afraid he's a hammy sitcom actor. So he acts like one.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Any fault with this joke IMO is redeemed by the incredible long game it sets into motion culminating with what to that point was the most soul-searing dramatic moment in the series

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Charlie the intern was so funny in s2... Broad humor isn't always so bad (oddly enough, he's one of two characters who are identified as having been on the Harvard Lampoon)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Really? It felt like a pretty solid character moment for Bojack. He's choking hard because in his head he's afraid he's a hammy sitcom actor. So he acts like one.

I just think it's possible to get that entire idea across without the line reading having to be that broad and over-the-top. I don't believe it as a character moment because it's not even sitcom schlocky, it's just yelling like a retarded person, and it kinda ruins the whole concept imo

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't think you can really call Bojack McFarlane-esque, which is really defined by its scathing hatred of anyone who isn't like Seth Macfarlane.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

And songs, don't forget songs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Escobarbarian posted:

I just think it's possible to get that entire idea across without the line reading having to be that broad and over-the-top. I don't believe it as a character moment because it's not even sitcom schlocky, it's just yelling like a retarded person, and it kinda ruins the whole concept imo

Watch the video that WrathOfBlade posted. Each time is very sit-com in style. It's a bit over the top but it's still in the same style as everything The Horse says in Horsin' Around. So maybe that entire show as over the top, but him saying the line like that isn't over the top in universe.

I think the show is kind of McFarlanesque in that they will say "You mean like that one time when" and then it cuts to that thing for a joke. At least in Bojack it usually happens to relate to the show. Unlike Family Guy which is "This is as dumb as the time Cecile B. Demile wanted to direct a Broadway show" and then it cuts to five minutes of that.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Escobarbarian posted:

That's why it's funny. Lots of people who do regular public speaking get a bit self-conscious over the way they say things. The joke takes that to an extreme to destroy it.

It wouldn't be funny if it was just Bojack stuttering on one of the letters or something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Danger posted:

That's why it's funny. Lots of people who do regular public speaking get a bit self-conscious over the way they say things. The joke takes that to an extreme to destroy it.

It wouldn't be funny if it was just Bojack stuttering on one of the letters or something.

Yeah that's fair. I still don't find it funny though - the discussion was about bad broad jokes in the show and that to me is the worst example.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It's a bit over the top but it's still in the same style as everything The Horse says in Horsin' Around.

THAT went well!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You guys need to cool it with the joke analysis, they ain't making Arrested Development.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Well it certainly ain't Ibsen

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 1 does have one really good line - "He was grapin' it up with the Daredevil himself!" - which might actually be the funniest gag in the whole show

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah that's fair. I still don't find it funny though - the discussion was about bad broad jokes in the show and that to me is the worst example.
I don't think it was supposed to be funny. It's just Bojack loving up at a crucial moment. It's the beat the episode is built around.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't think you can really call Bojack McFarlane-esque, which is really defined by its scathing hatred of anyone who isn't like Seth Macfarlane.

To re-iterate, the Macfarlane/Adult Swim criticism applies to the first 4-6 episodes. Another example in addition to the cutaway setup jokes is when Todd first arrives in prison and another prisoner assures him it will be fine and promptly gets violently stabbed. No attempt to subvert your expectations - the exact thing you're expecting to happen happens, not to mention the mean spiritedness and violence doesn't feel in-tone with what the show becomes.

Actually, I think the comparisons to Family Guy are almost unfair in that Family Guy, as lazy and bad as it can be, can still pull a few laughs per episode, usually by subverting your expectations.

Thankfully, with 4 seasons, the first few episodes will only be a small fraction of the show.

Re: Arrested Development - I do think the goon that described the show as Arrested Development + Mad Men + Zootopia hit the nail on the head and the AD comparisons are valid.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

FireWorksWell posted:

I like to think "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat" from 106 is their worst joke.

I liked "Naomi Waaaaaaaatts?" though, so it paid off for me.

A lot of the jerkass Bojack moments in early season one are awful. Bojack rants about the army, Bojack watches his sitcom while loving hot women etc. He definitely has the traits of a McFarlane character. I think there's still plenty to enjoy about the early episodes though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bojack's rant about the army is great, because he's right.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah lol, that's a high point of those early episodes. I remember DP at the time was all repping the fact a guy known for being a blowhard was playing a whale like it was the funniest poo poo ever or something.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
The first half of S1 wasn't that bad, but not as good as the other 2.5 seasons we've had so far.

Also, Todd is a boring garbage character that only exists so Bojack isn't talking to himself when Diane isn't around. Making him asexual just made him even more boring.

:colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
To be honest, I'm still convinced that the first 4-6 episodes are like that to lull you into a false sense of security that you're watching a Macfarlane/Adult Swim style show before it punches you in the gut the way that BoJack does.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Iron Crowned posted:

To be honest, I'm still convinced that the first 4-6 episodes are like that to lull you into a false sense of security that you're watching a Macfarlane/Adult Swim style show before it punches you in the gut the way that BoJack does.

Too bad that strategy failed when most reviewers only watched the first 4-6 episodes of the first season before writing it off as exactly that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hedrigall posted:

Too bad that strategy failed when most reviewers only watched the first 4-6 episodes of the first season before writing it off as exactly that.

Most reviewers are pretty pretentious and bad at reviewing anyway.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Curious, why does everyone keep using "Adult Swim" as a shorthand for lazy cutaway/pop culture reference humor?

AS is dozens of shows with all kinds of styles. If what you mean is "Robot Chicken", say that maybe? I feel like this does a disservice to just about every other show they've had, both good and bad.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Iron Crowned posted:

Most reviewers are pretty pretentious and bad at reviewing anyway.

I give reviewers 4/10

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Curious, why does everyone keep using "Adult Swim" as a shorthand for lazy cutaway/pop culture reference humor?

AS is dozens of shows with all kinds of styles. If what you mean is "Robot Chicken", say that maybe? I feel like this does a disservice to just about every other show they've had, both good and bad.

Yeah I always assume people use [as] as shorthand for that Robot Chicken poo poo, but it really isn't accurate.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I remember this joke being the point where I decided I definitely liked the show. It is absolutely the most hackneyed, Family Guy, MacFarlane, [adult swim], whatever joke setup you can image - cutaway to edgy non-sequitur! - but then you let it sit with you for a second and you realize that unlike Family Guy, "edgy jokes" are real moments in the characters' lives. The jokes aren't seasoning for the story, the two are inextricably linked.

Another example of this: I love how Bojack repeatedly makes astute observations about history, theater, etc. in a way that seems like a non-sequitur - oh, the dumb jerk character who doesn't read books said something smart for some reason! - but if you pay attention during the scenes with his parents you absolutely understand how he osmosed this stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

The problem is reviewers only got that many promotional episodes

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Henchman of Santa posted:

The problem is reviewers only got that many promotional episodes

Then Netflix handled that poorly. They should have given out a sampling of early and late season episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Then Netflix handled that poorly. They should have given out a sampling of early and late season episodes.

But then the reviewers have no sense of how the show got from point A to point B. It's hard to judge from sample episodes on a show with a continuous narrative. The writers really just took too long to get it going--but it doesn't matter anymore because it's become a much more acclaimed show than it started.

It is pretty crazy to look at a place like AV Club that reviews just about everything and see that they didn't even do any season 1 reviews.