Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jesus, I don't think anything's ever made me decide to put a game down for the night quicker than seeing an SR point balanced around 15 turns just did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Jesus, I don't think anything's ever made me decide to put a game down for the night quicker than seeing an SR point balanced around 15 turns just did.

That one's way overbalanced. I finished it with tons of turns to spare.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I haven't played MD yet, what makes Calvina so good? The Bel-whatever was pretty bad in J but a lot of that was because the AI targeting priorities made Reals really bad in that game. Does she gave a post move or giant area MAP attack or something?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

That one's way overbalanced. I finished it with tons of turns to spare.

That's good to hear. I saw it and basically assumed I'd be getting several reinforcement waves to deal with.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

WrightOfWay posted:

I haven't played MD yet, what makes Calvina so good? The Bel-whatever was pretty bad in J but a lot of that was because the AI targeting priorities made Reals really bad in that game. Does she gave a post move or giant area MAP attack or something?

The Bellzelute upgrade has a lot of good moves and a strong MAP attack, which you can spam like crazy with extra turns by the time you get it with all of the support SCs flying around. It's just really easy to start smacking things in a big cone for upwards of 25-30k and doing it again, and again, and again, until the map is over.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Oh Snapple! posted:

That's good to hear. I saw it and basically assumed I'd be getting several reinforcement waves to deal with.

I think I did the SR point in 4 turns. There's one reinforcement wave with a cheeky gimmick. I think the 15 turns is balanced around ex-hard maybe?

WrightOfWay posted:

To add to what Luceid said, her raw numbers are all really high too. Her stats are really high in every category except defence which is pretty low. She's around top 5 in everything else except melee which she's merely top ~15 at. Her robot is lightning fast so she gets to aggro all the enemies and then counter attacks them all into oblivion. Her upgrade has S rank Sky and Space and holy moly she has absolutely everything. I think Calvina in the Brigandy might be up near the Granzon/SRX/ATX/Trombe team attackers power level and if she isn't quite there then she's real close.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

She has a fantastic robot, a fantastic spellset (with some customization due to the powerpuffs), really high base stats, an ally-friendly insanely powerful MAP attack... basically she has no one singular "this breaks her" thing but instead is overall extremely good at everything.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Did I miss the discussion for the demo of a SRW AP English patch? It translates the first 4 missions of the game, on all routes. This includes menus, battle quotes, as well as character bios and mecha descriptions (that can be unlocked so far). I thought it was rather polished for a mere demo.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=19055.0

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Daler Mehndi posted:

Did I miss the discussion for the demo of a SRW AP English patch? It translates the first 4 missions of the game, on all routes. This includes menus, battle quotes, as well as character bios and mecha descriptions (that can be unlocked so far). I thought it was rather polished for a mere demo.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=19055.0

I mentioned it in the previous topic (Hi, I'm the translator for AP). Thank you, it's always nice to see people appreciate what we're doing. As a progress report, I recently finished translating mission 13 (by which I mean that both routes in the 9-12 split are translated). If you have any particular feedback let me know!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
To put it in perspective how ridiculous the Bellzelute Brigandi is, the Bellzelute's singular P attack is a base 3500 damage 10 ammo attack. The Bellzelute Brigandi has two P attacks, and the stronger one is a 1-3 ALL with base 4600 damage and no ammo requirements whatsoever. It only needs 105 Will to be accessible too, it's just crazy.

Meanwhile poor Dracodeus just gets like, +300 damage to everything. It doesn't even get its finisher until the third to last stage. Cybuster and Granzon are a similar hilariously unbalanced comparison, though at least there's a plot reason for that.

Throw in the rather questionable Ace bonus decisions, and honestly I'd say the unit balance in this game is pretty wacky.

EDIT: Oh, and as a sidenote: 4600 was the base damage of the vanilla Bellzelute's finisher.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Dracodeus feels like the Granzon without the map attack so lets not act like it's bad in any way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dracodeus is so strong it's pretty trivial to render it capable of tanking the final boss with no damage and it's still hugely inferior to Calvina's mecha. That is not a slight on it but an emphasis on just how insanely ridiculous Calvina is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Dracodeus is nigh invincible, but that is its only major selling point in my opinion. And that arguably doesn't make up for it being the Granteed for like 20 stages.

I know a couple guys playing through Ex-Hard and even getting the Dracodeus doesn't save Touya there, apparently. It's kinda hilarious considering how important the Granteed is supposed to be.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I know a couple guys playing through Ex-Hard and even getting the Dracodeus doesn't save Touya there, apparently. It's kinda hilarious considering how important the Granteed is supposed to be.

Granteed Dracodeus is usable in Exhard but only if you REALLY baby it to make up for the limitations of EXHard and at the same time you're running into the issue of it being Granteed for half the game being a lot more punishing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

BlitzBlast posted:

The Dracodeus is nigh invincible, but that is its only major selling point in my opinion. And that arguably doesn't make up for it being the Granteed for like 20 stages.

Hey, maybe it'll suck less in OG4 when they put Basilius away for half the game, wherever they put the Gunstriker Frames, the ChoKiJin, spare Grungusts, artificial humans, and the Free Electron Cannon.

Which I assume is just one big ready-to-ship transport container labeled "EMERGENCY KIT: SHIP TO WHEREVER C/O UNITED STRATEGIC COUNCIL ONLY IN CASE OF GLOBAL PERIL."

And one of those "_ days since" flipboards on the side.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Caphi posted:

Hey, maybe it'll suck less in OG4 when they put Basilius away for half the game, wherever they put the Gunstriker Frames, the ChoKiJin, spare Grungusts, artificial humans, and the Free Electron Cannon.

Which I assume is just one big ready-to-ship transport container labeled "EMERGENCY KIT: SHIP TO WHEREVER C/O UNITED STRATEGIC COUNCIL ONLY IN CASE OF GLOBAL PERIL."

And one of those "_ days since" flipboards on the side.

I hope in OG4 he gets to pilot a Vorlent until Basileus wakes up from its dragon nap or whatever, let it hang out with the chinese gods.

I also keep hammering on about this but I also want them to give Coustwell its loving finishers in OG4.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just want a crazy voice option.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Make the Coustwell be piloted by an AI of Jau-Mu who just yells crazy things the whole time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ethiser posted:

Make the Coustwell be piloted by an AI of Jau-Mu who just yells crazy things the whole time.

JehutyCalvina!

Edit: Dammit, I have to restart the third mission because I blew up Emma.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 27, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Better idea: make a special "Crazy Jua-Mu" voice pack for all Steel Dragon Squadron members.

KoB
May 1, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

To put it in perspective how ridiculous the Bellzelute Brigandi is, the Bellzelute's singular P attack is a base 3500 damage 10 ammo attack. The Bellzelute Brigandi has two P attacks, and the stronger one is a 1-3 ALL with base 4600 damage and no ammo requirements whatsoever. It only needs 105 Will to be accessible too, it's just crazy.

Meanwhile poor Dracodeus just gets like, +300 damage to everything. It doesn't even get its finisher until the third to last stage. Cybuster and Granzon are a similar hilariously unbalanced comparison, though at least there's a plot reason for that.

Throw in the rather questionable Ace bonus decisions, and honestly I'd say the unit balance in this game is pretty wacky.

EDIT: Oh, and as a sidenote: 4600 was the base damage of the vanilla Bellzelute's finisher.

Granzon/Cybuster is especially funny since Shu acts like the defacto leader of the MK dudes and even has the MB activate skill.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

KoB posted:

Granzon/Cybuster is especially funny since Shu acts like the defacto leader of the MK dudes and even has the MB activate skill.

Well he pretty much was your leader once you meet up with him in MK:F.

Elicia will always be my favored leader even though she becomes underpowered compared to the elemental lords at the end game.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sakura Wars 1 PS2 stream coming up in a few minutes.

Edit: Stream over, Satan has been slain

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 28, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Did they remake this track in Moon Dwellers? What's it called, if so?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlN6Pfhnllw

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Did they remake this track in Moon Dwellers? What's it called, if so?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlN6Pfhnllw
I've seen that track (the one you linked, mind) titled "Cold World" and "Cold Hearted World". Never been able to find a definitive name for the track, however. Try looking for those names, but seeing as the full OST for Moon Dwellers is not due until September 21st apparently, it might be a tad difficult to find it.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 28, 2016

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

AradoBalanga posted:

I've seen that track (the one you linked, mind) titled "Cold World" and "Cold Hearted World". Never been able to find a definitive name for the track, however. Try looking for those names, but seeing as the full OST for Moon Dwellers is not due until September 21st apparently, it might be a tad difficult to find it.

Here: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29526620

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I never actually checked Katina's ace in game because I'm used to just going by the wiki anyway for the other games. Her ace is +1 move and +5% final damage for any red mech in her twin, not just that bonus to her if there is a red mech in her twin which is what the thing on the wiki parses as. She's currently in the GIgan and giving it +1 movement and Kusuha is in the back in the Type 3 also getting +1 movement. They're also getting +1 from ability parts so she's definitely boosting everything that's red.

That makes 3 that aren't quite right on the wiki so far. The JP version doesn't just have different ones, right?

Edit: Soundtrack question, is there a set section in the list for stage background music or are is everything all mixed up together? I think I'm after the GC finale one.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 28, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Denzel's great. GO, GLORY STAR, GO!

Casual Observer
Sep 15, 2011
Question for the thread.

Been playing MD, and I was curious about the terrain ratings. I know that if you have either the Pilot or the Robot at S, and the other is at least A, you get an S final ranking.

Is there an extra benefit to having an S in both? Or, do you just need to get an S in either, and at least an A for the other?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Man you guys weren't kidding about how rough even the early SR points are. Doing the space route it's a careful juggling of units and precise use of Raid and Quicken.

Or the mission that's 'Reduce everything to under 2k in 5 turns, don't kill anything, oh and if they touch you you're frozen for a turn.'

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Casual Observer posted:

Question for the thread.

Been playing MD, and I was curious about the terrain ratings. I know that if you have either the Pilot or the Robot at S, and the other is at least A, you get an S final ranking.

Is there an extra benefit to having an S in both? Or, do you just need to get an S in either, and at least an A for the other?

I don't think there is any bonus to having double S.

Hunter Noventa posted:

Man you guys weren't kidding about how rough even the early SR points are. Doing the space route it's a careful juggling of units and precise use of Raid and Quicken.

Or the mission that's 'Reduce everything to under 2k in 5 turns, don't kill anything, oh and if they touch you you're frozen for a turn.'

What exactly is the criteria for the paralysis? I thought maybe it was getting hit by an enemy melee attack but the enemy unit only had ranged attacks and still managed to freeze me. Getting hit by any attack at range 1 maybe?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

I don't think there is any bonus to having double S.

What exactly is the criteria for the paralysis? I thought maybe it was getting hit by an enemy melee attack but the enemy unit only had ranged attacks and still managed to freeze me. Getting hit by any attack at range 1 maybe?

If they occupy the square next to the character.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Why the gently caress is the pointless and boring GC final boss of all things immune to Trombe override :mad:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Why the gently caress is the pointless and boring GC final boss of all things immune to Trombe override :mad:

it was a masterful creation of the most mildly dislikable kind of final boss in the entire game and for that, i salute him

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

If they occupy the square next to the character.

Yep, and that's after your action, if you move in the bring one down below 2k with a Vulcan or Beam Saber, you won't get paralyzed if you succeed.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I wasn't getting Ratsel's ace bonus when parking him next to Sanger so I thought it was just broken, but then I got it when he happened to be next to Haken. So apparently Dygenguar isn't black after all.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah Dygenguar definitely isn't black and does not trigger Ratsel's thing. Whoever discovered that made a mistake.

Gesp-H and RV, Grungust Type 0 do for sure. Vysaga doesn't even though it has a black torso.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I think Z let you press Square on the counterattack screen to bring up your attack choices but MD doesnt. That was really handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I guess if you squint real hard the Daizengar is more like a dark blue. Kinda stupid.

KoB posted:

I think Z let you press Square on the counterattack screen to bring up your attack choices but MD doesnt. That was really handy.
Yeah I haven't found a way to replace the drat intermission music either like you could in Z3

• Locked thread