Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The torrent of #346 is out, with some updates and changes from the original version on Mangastream (the online reader has since been updated) and torrent-exclusive translation notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arrgytehpirate posted:

This is my first Berserk experience and I am loving it. The animation isn't that great but holy gently caress the story is dark.

I still don't understand why the lady who leads the Holy Chain Knights hasn't accepted demons yet. I mean she was almost raped by a demon horse, saw the possessed? turned? humans, the giant demon the heretics had, and now the slime. Her boyfriend/bodyguard or whatever got the idea real loving quick.

I really hope we find out what the priest is. Maybe there's an angelic version of apostles?

Angels are just apostles with feathers.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Arrgytehpirate posted:

This is my first Berserk experience and I am loving it. The animation isn't that great but holy gently caress the story is dark.

I still don't understand why the lady who leads the Holy Chain Knights hasn't accepted demons yet. I mean she was almost raped by a demon horse, saw the possessed? turned? humans, the giant demon the heretics had, and now the slime. Her boyfriend/bodyguard or whatever got the idea real loving quick.

I really hope we find out what the priest is. Maybe there's an angelic version of apostles?

You should watch the 90s anime, it covers some of the content before this arc and is really great.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Drop all anime, just snort the manga like the coked up nightmare it is

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Read the manga, and if for some reason you refuse to do that please watch the 90s anime at least. I'm glad you're enjoying Berserk, and I think you would enjoy those things even more.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So is the anime basically trying to make it easy for the audience and make the transformations by the Egg Shaped Apostle happen on screen or did I misremember this arc? Because I thought they were Apostle Spawn well before Guts came.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 27, 2016

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Man i'm pretty loving hyped for the upcoming event sin the anime but at the same time horribly depressed at what it'll probably end up looking like.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Crabtree posted:

So is the anime basically trying to make it easy for the audience and make the transformations by the Egg Shaped Apostle happen on screen or did I misremember this arc? Because I thought they were Apostle Spawn well before Guts came.

Nah, the Egg Shaped Apostle turns them into Apostle Spawn as the Tower is getting filled with weird Caska/Demon goo stuff I'm pretty sure.

At the very least it happens on panel during the story, not before.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Crabtree posted:

Nah they get stung by the egg apostle right before they fight Guts. That's why Mozgus is still all amazed at his own transformations throughout the fight.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Like everyone else, I recommend reading the manga. It looks better and has better pacing and doesn't skip around.

All the animation content (the 90s anime is honestly the best of the bunch) cuts out important stuff and generally has terrible animation. I'd rather have the freeze frames of the 90s version over the plastic CG looking people of the new animation.

The manga is the full experience (since the animation would take far too long to meet the same quality). It just goes on hiatus (like months to years) when Miura decides he wants to play Idolm@ster.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Skull Knight is the only CGI character that doesn't look like poo poo.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've never actually read a manga before and wouldn't even know where to start. I didn't know the anime was cutting important stuff out, I just thought people hated because of the mostly awful animation. I'll give them this though the last few episodes have had extremely beautiful end scenes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've never actually read a manga before and wouldn't even know where to start. I didn't know the anime was cutting important stuff out, I just thought people hated because of the mostly awful animation. I'll give them this though the last few episodes have had extremely beautiful end scenes.

Idk, start from the beginning and enjoy some 12000 pages of ridiculously detailed comic book.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I look at it this way: There are plenty of anime that come out every season that look stunning and gorgeous, but are awful fanservicey trash. This Berserk series looks pretty subpar most of the time, but at least I know I like what it's going to be about.

In other words, this adaptation has real flaws but I'm willing myself past them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Awesome Welles posted:

Skull Knight is the only CGI character that doesn't look like poo poo.

Honestly I'd rather he be kind of some weird bone material than actual shiny and chrome, but whatevs. He's still Skull Knight at the end of the day.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
His conversation post-rescue was probably the highlight of the episode for me.

"Oh....death?" Totally nonchalant.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

dis astranagant posted:

Idk, start from the beginning and enjoy some 12000 pages of ridiculously detailed comic book.

I'm picturing an art instillation which has arranged blown up pages of Berserk from start to finish on a 2km or so long wall.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You start from the beginning and go to the end.

It's a little weird because the first anime and the movies cover the Golden Age arc, which isn't actually the beginning of the comic. But it is the first thing chronologically, it's just a flashback after the first arc of the manga.

The current anime covers like the... 4th arc in the manga, I think? It's not even the first one after the Golden Age, they skipped over that completely. People were excited because they were finally doing something other than the Golden Age but then... welll....

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly, continuing straight from Black Swordsman to here would make his relative mellowing out and hopefully decent Beast of Darkness scenes seem more natural than it does here. But it isn't completely hopeless. They just are in for a world of goddamn hurt if they screw up some of the better Beast scenes because, holy poo poo, you do not want to gently caress up what that leads to.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

I look at it this way: There are plenty of anime that come out every season that look stunning and gorgeous, but are awful fanservicey trash. This Berserk series looks pretty subpar most of the time, but at least I know I like what it's going to be about.

In other words, this adaptation has real flaws but I'm willing myself past them.

Absolutely. Berserk 2016 fails in many serious ways, but it really speaks to the state of anime today that it still easily surpasses 90% of it.

That's not to say Berserk is free of fanservicey trash, but at least it's not a priority.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The manga is so much better than the anime adaptations. They don't come close to capturing how good it is.

The last chapter was great BTW.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Puck is good and I'm glad there are more of him.

Next chapter's probably gonna drop all manner of other shoes.

dis astranagant posted:

Someone should make a berserk anime thread because the anime is covering content older than some of the people who want to post about it. That's not meant as an insult, just that this arc is old enough to smoke.
Most of the posters here who're following the anime have already read the manga, and the remainder who haven't aren't numerous enough to justify a separate thread - which is just as well since it would likely devolve into hatewatching and ironic trainwreck commentary pretty quickly.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

You mean we aren't supposed to rifftracks the 2016 anime?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

I look at it this way: There are plenty of anime that come out every season that look stunning and gorgeous, but are awful fanservicey trash.
There's also Mob Psycho 100 which is the best anime in 3 years (since Kyousougiga, basically) and is fantastic across the board.

Like let's get real, Berserk is a good manga but that writing isn't perfect and I can't imagine that being animated in Poser helps.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Deified Data posted:

Absolutely. Berserk 2016 fails in many serious ways, but it really speaks to the state of anime today that it still easily surpasses 90% of it.

That's not to say Berserk is free of fanservicey trash, but at least it's not a priority.

It's very very far from being better than 90% of current anime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It might be better than the Knights of Sidonia anime, but that had the same terribad CG.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Bad Seafood posted:

Puck is good and I'm glad there are more of him.

Next chapter's probably gonna drop all manner of other shoes.
Most of the posters here who're following the anime have already read the manga, and the remainder who haven't aren't numerous enough to justify a separate thread - which is just as well since it would likely devolve into hatewatching and ironic trainwreck commentary pretty quickly.

Mod post is deep.

Thank you mod for being a mod.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

You mean we aren't supposed to rifftracks the 2016 anime?
Most goons are not nearly as funny as they think they are and that goes double for any threads dedicated to taking a piece of media down a peg.

If you wanna sling a little shade in your spare time as the inspiration strikes you, whatever, but if you want a thread dedicated to it, nah.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shinjobi posted:

I look at it this way: There are plenty of anime that come out every season that look stunning and gorgeous, but are awful fanservicey trash.

I can't think of any examples of this. Can you name one?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the monogatari series

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Just about anything Kyoani makes is beautiful but bad, albeit not fanservice filled per se

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Everyone below this line, talk about Berserk.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Just about anything Kyoani makes is beautiful but bad, albeit not fanservice filled per se

hmmm... no

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh poo poo im dead

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Everyone below this line, talk about Berserk.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rape

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

oh poo poo im dead
You are absolved since we both posted at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wec6QmAZd5Y

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Goat man orgy

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

should i watch this anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You should read this comic and forget any of the anime versions exist.