Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mandatory lesbian posted:

friend, you can look all that poo poo up on-line, also the itemfinder just beeps, doesn't even give any indication what direction the item is in, it's pretty much worthless

Also it takes up one of your 20 total item slots in your bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

friend, you can look all that poo poo up on-line, also the itemfinder just beeps, doesn't even give any indication what direction the item is in, it's pretty much worthless

Across all generations the locations of hidden item's are usually obvious, iirc. There's usually something about the environment to clue you to walk over and press A.

Lmao, being reminded of the hilariously dumb decisions in Gen I had me wondering if I should pick them up on VC or not, hah

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Rygar201 posted:

Across all generations the locations of hidden item's are usually obvious, iirc. There's usually something about the environment to clue you to walk over and press A.

Lmao, being reminded of the hilariously dumb decisions in Gen I had me wondering if I should pick them up on VC or not, hah

I'm having fun playing them and getting hosed by my muscle memory like

Gust is normal type
Bug is strong against Poison
Magnemite is not Steel type

And also by it's extra saucy bullshit like:

Fire Spin/Bind/Wrap prevent you from doing anything forever unless you switch
Sleep takes one full turn to wake up
Psychic owns everything always

And some people complain about the difficulty curve on G/S/HG/SS

It does have some good things though, like my friend Tauros being useful

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Also it takes up one of your 20 total item slots in your bag.

there are a lot of reasons man, i don't have time to write them all

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey so the Japanese website has been putting up old Pokemon with some new descriptions like for Pinsir it says something about Vikavolt being their rivals in Alola. They just put up Arcanine recently:

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sun_moon/pokemon/160826_02.html

I'm posting this because one of the leaks said there would be water type Alolan Arcanine it was also the one that said there would be fighting type Alakazam. So unless they decide to have both, water Arcanine isn't happening possibly along with whatever was in that leak, which makes me sad because I wanted to see it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hey so the Japanese website has been putting up old Pokemon with some new descriptions like for Pinsir it says something about Vikavolt being their rivals in Alola. They just put up Arcanine recently:

I'm posting this because one of the leaks said there would be water type Alolan Arcanine it was also the one that said there would be fighting type Alakazam. So unless they decide to have both, water Arcanine isn't happening possibly along with whatever was in that leak, which makes me sad because I wanted to see it.

Yeah, that seems like a pretty solid nail in that coffin.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Sad, I wanted a water pupper.

Back to waiting to see if there are any decent new water types.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Watch out everyone, it's Team Magma's powerful, fearful leader, ...Maxie!
Be careful, or .....Maxie.... Won't have any mercy on you.
Terrorizing and powerful, that ...Maxie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Why in the goddamn hell isn't Pokemon Snap on the Wii U Virtual console

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Calaveron posted:

Why in the goddamn hell isn't Pokemon Snap on the Wii U Virtual console

It is though...just not in North America :negative:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What other country exists other than America, is it out on the moon or what

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Europe got it last week.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

So, after 18 years, my younger sister has finally gotten into Pokemon (Thank you, Pokemon Go and the Poke Amie feature in Generation VI)! She speaks Spanish pretty well, so she wants to help me out with going to Spanish speaking communities and making trades. :getin: Does anyone happen to know any good Spanish-speaking Pokemon trading communitites?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I will never understand Nintendo's digital distro schedule.

Phweengee
Nov 5, 2012
A couple of rapidly expiring Darkrai codes. Please enjoy.

A5Z3CDLNN4P2G3YZ

A5Z3DS5CGLSN6TNG

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Phweengee posted:

A couple of rapidly expiring Darkrai codes. Please enjoy.

A5Z3CDLNN4P2G3YZ

Taken, thanks

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Got the second code, good looking out

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Psyduck is there, if this means no alola versions for that line then gently caress this earth. :negative: I wanted a Water/Psychic Golduck these past 20 years..

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Psyduck is there, if this means no alola versions for that line then gently caress this earth. :negative: I wanted a Water/Psychic Golduck these past 20 years..

Golduck's not in there and remember, not all Alola form lines are all completely Alola. Pikachu is normal pikachu but Raichu is alolan.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Golduck's not in there and remember, not all Alola form lines are all completely Alola. Pikachu is normal pikachu but Raichu is alolan.

Also Exeggcute and Cubone.

Cubone is especially weird because it goes from a normal Cubone Ground type to a Ghost/Fire. All the other pokemon with radically different types also had different prevos.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

Also Exeggcute and Cubone.

Cubone is especially weird because it goes from a normal Cubone Ground type to a Ghost/Fire. All the other pokemon with radically different types also had different prevos.

Yeah, you'd think they'd make Cubone Ghost/Ground so it's just replacing one type when it evolves instead of a such a radical change at once.

I wonder how the movesets for Alola forms will work? Will they just start getting moves for their types after evolving or strewn along before then?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Well, he shows up in Psyduck's entry, but that is a good point.

Arcanine and Dragonite being there sounds kinda definitive for their lines, but Zubat's and Spearow's evolutions might get something?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Given that this arcanine thing disproves the leak with Fighting type Alakazam, I think it's safe to assume that any pokes with Mega forms probably won't get alola forms.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
If Alolan Form Pokemon are the only type of that Pokemon you can catch on Alola (which makes the most sense and what everyone believes - if it was confirmed officially I just can't remember) I can just see them sticking another symbol on the Pokemon similar to the Gen VI hexagon that goes "oh, you can only breed pokemon with this same symbol with each other" to prevent some wonky egg move transfer.

Not that there would be a huge problem with many of them but Alolan Ninetales has weird potential.

That being said, that's just an idea and not something I think would happen.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well, he shows up in Psyduck's entry, but that is a good point.

Arcanine and Dragonite being there sounds kinda definitive for their lines, but Zubat's and Spearow's evolutions might get something?

Dark type Zubat would correct a very old mistake.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dream eater should be called somnivore

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Given that this arcanine thing disproves the leak with Fighting type Alakazam, I think it's safe to assume that any pokes with Mega forms probably won't get alola forms.

Yeah, that was a really weird thing to begin with.

If you take them, and all the pokes that got later gen Evos, new typings, ones confirmed in normal form and mega-evos out of the equation you're stuck with a fairly small roster of pokemon as well. I think you can probably still count ones that only got Prevos (Snorlax/Jynx) since Alolan Raichu is a thing though.

The list is probably

Butterfree
Raticate
Fearow
Arbok
Nidoking/Queen
Parasect
Venomoth
Dugtrio
Primape
Machamp
Victreebel
Golem
Rapidash
Farfetch'd
Dodrio
Dewgong
Muk
Cloyster
Hypno
Kingler
Electrode
Weezing
Seaking
Starmie
Jynx
Tauros
Snorlax
Aerodactyl
Kabutops
Omastar

Of these, I'd probably also remove the fossils from consideration. I also removed Vileplume (Bellossom is basically Johto-form Vileplume), and the Hitmons because I can't imagine giving them an Alolan form and not Hitmontop.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 27, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Dark type Zubat would correct a very old mistake.

zubat is fine as is, also i think it might somehow still be the only poison/flying line which is like, whoa

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

zubat is fine as is, also i think it might somehow still be the only poison/flying line which is like, whoa

It is.

It also already got a pretty good evo in Gen II so I really doubt it'll get an Alolan form.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I completely forgot that it's typing is still unique.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

zubat is sick and styling and deserves to be the best

Bartie
Mar 20, 2006

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
I wonder if there's even the slightest chance of Gamefreak rebalancing the game for Sun & Moon. It's kind of sad that with over 700 to chose from only a handful are viable in competitive play.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
golbat and haunter gen 1 sprites are still better then any other sprite or model in the last 20 years

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
they took away golbats giant tongue and i will never forgive gamefreak

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bartie posted:

I wonder if there's even the slightest chance of Gamefreak rebalancing the game for Sun & Moon. It's kind of sad that with over 700 to chose from only a handful are viable in competitive play.

there are 700 pokemon, the fact that theres more then 20 that are viable is amazing

like there's a reason fighting games only have around 20 characters and even then those games tend to still have like 2 or 3 best characters, this complaint is dumb

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bartie posted:

They did some minor re-balances in Gen VI! A bunch of pokemon got +10 to a stat, Pikachu got +15 to both defenses, and they removed Steel's Ghost and Dark resistances.

They might go further this time or they might not ever touch it again.

Gamefreak!

Realistically though, balancing for 700+ (or even the 400+ fully evolved mons) is almost an impossible task. Also some pokemon are designed to be early single-player crutches to be discarded later.

But honestly, no matter what only a handful are going to be viable in competitive play unless you homogenize the gently caress out of the game.

Geostomp posted:

I completely forgot that it's typing is still unique.

Its one of three lines from Gen 1 that still have unique typings(or four if you count Nidoqueen/Nidoking as the same line). Gengar and Jynx are the other two.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 27, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What new types could they even add they've used up all nature and mythology

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Weezing is poison with Levitate which is just kinda better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dabir posted:

Weezing is poison with Levitate which is just kinda better.

so what