Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FISHMANPET posted:

Also that's a really old picture. The basics haven't changed but the specifics have, there are now high capacity inserters is the biggest change relevant.

Also I don't understand the point of all those yellow chests in that picture. When you unload into red chests, the items stay there until another chest (like those blue ones) requests it. If the cars emptied into purple chests, logistics bots would immediately move the items into the yellow chests, at which point request from blue chests would be fulfilled from the yellow chests. I think that may be another sign of how old that picture is, because that could have been waaaay back before purple chests and when red chests acted like purple chests do now.

I think the theory was/is the active providers get emptied constantly and the storage chests then act as a buffer for the requesters. In low volume I imagine it wouldn't matter much, but if you have a million outposts set up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Yeah, the storage chests are only necessary if you're pulling in resources from outposts faster than you process them. But, I mean, wouldn't you want that?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If your replicate that picture now, with the red chests, you'll be using passive provider chests, where extra will never unload into the storage chests. So you need to use purple chests instead of the red chests to get the storage to act as a buffer.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
e: nvm should have hit refresh

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

How do you guys set up your train unloading?

How long's a piece of string? Do you want to build the most amazing, blue belt saturating unloader ever or just keep a standard belt going? What tech do you have?
3 stack inserters a side is pretty quick (like fill a red belt). If that's all you need then more is just because you feel like it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ooooh trainchat, time for some pics.

This is my ore loading station straight from the mine:

It would be faster with six chests per side instead of 4, but the splitters become trickier then and it's just not worth it for these outposts to try and improve on the design. I guess looking at this 2-6 balancer it should fit, but eh whatever.

This is my high capacity unloader. It does use a mod, equalizer chests, that automatically balances items between adjacent chests, so it basically gives me a 9x1 chest:

This will saturate 4 blue belts, as long as you can feed it enough trains

This is an unmodded variant:

I could put 4 chests on each side instead of 2, which would improve speed. The problem is the inner chests will output far less than the outer chests, so you'll end up with a lot of dead weight in there. That's why I just use two chests per side and just setup multiple stations for my lower capacity needs. I also built those before I installed the Equalizer Chests mod, so maybe if I'd had that from the start I would have done something different.

I also got tired of balancing all my mines with my 5 Iron Ore stations (1 for plate, one for steel, 3 for Circuits) and my 4 Copper stations (1 for plate, 3 for circuits) so I built these depots, one each for iron and copper:

All trains from mines unload on the left, and trains from my furnaces pickup on the right. I might actually modify that so that I use 6 chests on each loader station so those go a bit faster.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kry8lbrHjeY

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Azhais posted:

How do you guys set up your train unloading?

On the last marathon Bob's server, like this, assuming 4 cars. All stack inserters, with steel buffer chests.

Or buffer warehouses, if you like. Ignore the belt output, this was on a previous server and we didn't need insanity copper.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Oh my god.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Mother of poo poo.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Pro loving click right here, this is incredible on so many levels.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

That's it. That guy just won the game. Noone can beat that.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

FISHMANPET posted:

I also got tired of balancing all my mines with my 5 Iron Ore stations (1 for plate, one for steel, 3 for Circuits) and my 4 Copper stations (1 for plate, 3 for circuits) so I built these depots, one each for iron and copper:

All trains from mines unload on the left, and trains from my furnaces pickup on the right. I might actually modify that so that I use 6 chests on each loader station so those go a bit faster.

Is this because you were frustrated by re-routing trains that were headed for the mines in order to keep the smelting processes balanced?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
What goals do you all set yourselves to keep the late-game interesting? I get to the "im just building modules so that I can put modules into things so I can build modules faster" stage and I just lose motivation :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jesus wept. I mean, I thought Wizards in Winter was really amazing but loving hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=indN4kcshB0

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Did somebody say trains?

Been slowly building this setup, the idea being you can build smaller dedicated factories rather than one giant mess on a belt. Should help with increasing production later.
As this is a bob's game, there's a billion and one ore types. So there's a giant ore sorter which is the backbone to this factory at the moment. We're also running angel's mods so there's a ton of ore sorting steps which take up a shitload of room. Because of this modularity, it was a 5 step process to get iron plates out of the drat thing. On the upside it's incredibly easy to add a new miner and increase ore processing without having to go back and rework vast sections of the factory.

The part that makes this setup feasable and not run out of ore super fast, is to make the trains request based rather than dependant on a timetable. ]

For example, if I have 6 miners feeding this processing plant with jivolite, I would traditionally need 6 trains. Because I've added a flipflip to the station, I can now make it work with 1 train. By making the train wait at the dropoff point and cycle around the inputs, I can send the train out to get ore only when it's about to be needed to refill the stockpile.

In this case, I've made the station want 6000 or more ore. if it drops below 2000 it starts sending the train out. As this factory is actually over capacity, it's continuously requesting ore.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Picer posted:

That's it. That guy just won the game. Noone can beat that.

You know the lights can change colours now right? That's black and white, wait a little while and someone will come up with a full colour version.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ratzap posted:

You know the lights can change colours now right? That's black and white, wait a little while and someone will come up with a full colour version.
A color display seems like it would be several orders of magnitude more complex. Each color you want to use is an extra data layer the size and complexity of the white layer in the current example which is choking on itself already. Might be able to get around that with some interlacing to only think about rendering half the screen at a time? Besides that lamp color is addressed by an unchangeable logic specifying color channel-wide, which means each lamp in the display would need to be individually addressed by its own wire isolated from other circuit networks. That means a lot of power poles losing fidelity for a given resolution at the least, and the worst most tedious job of stringing up the pixels.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Ratzap posted:

You're right. I'm not happy until someone makes a fully functioning Super Mario in Factorio.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Picer posted:

You're right. I'm not happy until someone makes a fully functioning Super Mario in Factorio.

Wasn't there a functional pong? I can't find it right now but I thought it was a thing.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I get FARL to lay two tracks? Right now it's just laying one.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Loopoo posted:

How do I get FARL to lay two tracks? Right now it's just laying one.

Make a blueprint with 2 tracks side by side and set FARL to use it. I think it comes with a pre-gen blueprint that lays 2 tracks with signals and power poles every so often and concrete below.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ambaire posted:

Make a blueprint with 2 tracks side by side and set FARL to use it.

More specifically put two blueprints on your toolbelt, make one with vertical tracks laid out like you want it, one with diagonal tracks the way you want it, then go into farl's settings and hit the load button.

It'll lay anything you want down too. Want your tracks walled in entirely with laser turrets? Slap em in the blueprint!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks guys

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

zedprime posted:

A color display seems like it would be several orders of magnitude more complex. Each color you want to use is an extra data layer the size and complexity of the white layer in the current example which is choking on itself already. Might be able to get around that with some interlacing to only think about rendering half the screen at a time? Besides that lamp color is addressed by an unchangeable logic specifying color channel-wide, which means each lamp in the display would need to be individually addressed by its own wire isolated from other circuit networks. That means a lot of power poles losing fidelity for a given resolution at the least, and the worst most tedious job of stringing up the pixels.

Your point being? ;)

There is a person making a 4 bit CPU in Factorio. Simple things like complexity and tedium do not seem to influence some people's desire to do things. With a zoom mod and 3 lights per 'pixel' someone could make a very slow television knock off. Someone will be mad enough to do it eventually.

M_Gargantua posted:

Wasn't there a functional pong? I can't find it right now but I thought it was a thing.

There's a tetris where you control the parts by putting things in chests. Pong I seem to remember too.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Didn't even notice that there's a builtin mod manager/portal now, that's handy. Any must have QoL mods nowadays? (Stuff like Long Reach, that one I remember. Yeah it's slightly cheaty but, well, screw it :v:)

(ed: I plan to install RSO as well. While I haven't beaten the vanilla game yet I know that without RSO there's not much real gameplay reason for trains--at least back in 0.12, if that's changed let me know)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 28, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I use:

Auto Deconstruct (automatically mark miners with no minerals left for deconstruction so your bots deal with it)
Autofill (puts fuel/ammo in things when you place them instead of needing the second step)
Auto trash (automatically fills your logistics trash slots, still nicer than the new built in version)
EvoGUI (Evolution tracker)
FARL (because gently caress laying rails by hand)
RSO
Fat Controller (tho the built in one is pretty nice, FAT still has more features)
Tree Collision (makes it easier to move through forests)
YARM (resource monitor, adds a gui element with how many minerals are left in your fields, a blue? tier research)

The more cheaty ones

Longer Reach
Larger Inventory
Factorissimo (make factory buildings)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Didn't even notice that there's a builtin mod manager/portal now, that's handy. Any must have QoL mods nowadays? (Stuff like Long Reach, that one I remember. Yeah it's slightly cheaty but, well, screw it :v:)

(ed: I plan to install RSO as well. While I haven't beaten the vanilla game yet I know that without RSO there's not much real gameplay reason for trains--at least back in 0.12, if that's changed let me know)

I've never launched a rocket either, but I use plenty of mods. I usually get too bored or overwhelmed by the time I research the rocket silo, and I just start a new game. New players should play a game or two without mods, IMO, so that they can learn things like oil production and blue science without any aids. Mods are more valuable when you understand what they're replacing.

Other quality of life mods:
- Hazzard's gravestones: stops you from losing everything on death. The default death punishment is way too harsh.
- GDIW: adds flipped versions of recipes the have water as an ingredient, so that you can make better layouts.
- Flow Control: makes pipes simpler and more compact. No need for complex pump layouts to improve flow, for example, thanks to the express pump.
- Honk: massively improves the quality of the game.

This is just off the top of my head, I'm probably missing a few important ones.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Dred_furst posted:

Did somebody say trains?

Been slowly building this setup, the idea being you can build smaller dedicated factories rather than one giant mess on a belt. Should help with increasing production later.
As this is a bob's game, there's a billion and one ore types. So there's a giant ore sorter which is the backbone to this factory at the moment. We're also running angel's mods so there's a ton of ore sorting steps which take up a shitload of room. Because of this modularity, it was a 5 step process to get iron plates out of the drat thing. On the upside it's incredibly easy to add a new miner and increase ore processing without having to go back and rework vast sections of the factory.

The part that makes this setup feasable and not run out of ore super fast, is to make the trains request based rather than dependant on a timetable. ]

For example, if I have 6 miners feeding this processing plant with jivolite, I would traditionally need 6 trains. Because I've added a flipflip to the station, I can now make it work with 1 train. By making the train wait at the dropoff point and cycle around the inputs, I can send the train out to get ore only when it's about to be needed to refill the stockpile.

In this case, I've made the station want 6000 or more ore. if it drops below 2000 it starts sending the train out. As this factory is actually over capacity, it's continuously requesting ore.

This is a good idea, and I am glad I am in that game working on it.

The ore sorter takes 4 input belts and sorts it into 16 output belts by the way. each "stage" uses like 1000 belts easily.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Solumin posted:

- Hazzard's gravestones: stops you from losing everything on death. The default death punishment is way too harsh.

Does that still work if one is using Bob's mods with the top tier power armor and a full inventory? We had Death Chest on both of DmitriX's servers and when people inevitably met a messy death via train, they kept losing part of their inventory AND the power armor to the void since the chest only stored a bit over default inventory limit.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm having trouble making roundabouts for my trains. I have two parallel tracks, spaced two rails apart (so it goes rail, space, space, rail). I can't seem to get a properly aligned circle and because of that, I've stopped trying to incorporate roundabouts. It's gonna be a bitch once my rail system is functioning, because my trains will have to go such long ways around to get back to the central station. Anyone have any solutions for this?

Also, RSO is an amazing mod, but I'm 6 hours in and still haven't touched oil just yet. I'm slowly expanding my base, adding the rail infrastructure, fortifying my outermost walls which will eventually have gun turrets everywhere automatically fed by an ammo belt. I just noticed that with RSO, things are much slower paced, which is alright I suppose.

It can be frustrating at times because expanding isn't as fast, and each thing you do is a bit of a large undertaking.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ambaire posted:

Does that still work if one is using Bob's mods with the top tier power armor and a full inventory? We had Death Chest on both of DmitriX's servers and when people inevitably met a messy death via train, they kept losing part of their inventory AND the power armor to the void since the chest only stored a bit over default inventory limit.

The mod only saves 89 stacks of items, according to the mod description. It might be possible to give the gravestones a larger inventory if you modify mod, but I don't know what that would require.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Loopoo posted:

I'm having trouble making roundabouts for my trains. I have two parallel tracks, spaced two rails apart (so it goes rail, space, space, rail). I can't seem to get a properly aligned circle and because of that, I've stopped trying to incorporate roundabouts. It's gonna be a bitch once my rail system is functioning, because my trains will have to go such long ways around to get back to the central station. Anyone have any solutions for this?

Also, RSO is an amazing mod, but I'm 6 hours in and still haven't touched oil just yet. I'm slowly expanding my base, adding the rail infrastructure, fortifying my outermost walls which will eventually have gun turrets everywhere automatically fed by an ammo belt. I just noticed that with RSO, things are much slower paced, which is alright I suppose.

It can be frustrating at times because expanding isn't as fast, and each thing you do is a bit of a large undertaking.
Roundabouts are kind of junky although one can argue for their uses. Maximum train sperg is for true to life rail junctions. There's an imgur gallery kicking around with examples in the thread or when searching for Factorio train stuff. Its basically just putting in branching turns in a way you can get from any station to any station without needing to U-turn on the main backbone.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fair enough, I think I'll do that. I remember roundabouts used to be janky and cause pileups because my 6-cargo-long trains wouldn't be small enough to actually get through the roundabout before turning signals red or something.

I'll just add looparounds at final train stations to allow all the trains to get back to the main network.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Solumin posted:

The mod only saves 89 stacks of items, according to the mod description. It might be possible to give the gravestones a larger inventory if you modify mod, but I don't know what that would require.

You want the black boxes mod. It spawns chests until all your poo poo is saved, it even includes items that were in the build queue when you snuffed it. The only thing is loses is whatever you were holding.

Loopoo posted:

Fair enough, I think I'll do that. I remember roundabouts used to be janky and cause pileups because my 6-cargo-long trains wouldn't be small enough to actually get through the roundabout before turning signals red or something.

I'll just add looparounds at final train stations to allow all the trains to get back to the main network.

This gallery: http://imgur.com/a/CxXxd

Drone_Fragger posted:

This is a good idea, and I am glad I am in that game working on it.

The ore sorter takes 4 input belts and sorts it into 16 output belts by the way. each "stage" uses like 1000 belts easily.

I still think it's unnecessarily convoluted but Dred wants to play with loads of trains so w/e. I'll post pictures of my take on it if angels updates sometime and I can load it again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Peaceful mode disables achievements, right? I'm just not a fan of combat in this game at all :(

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Peaceful mode disables achievements, right? I'm just not a fan of combat in this game at all :(

It might disable Steam achievements but it doesn't disable the in-game ones.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

It disables particular achievements, like "don't build a solar panel, ever", "never build a laser turret", and "launch the rocket in 8 hours of playtime". But most of the other ones it doesn't affect at all. When you open the achievement list in-game, it'll tell you which ones are disabled due to peaceful mode.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ratzap posted:

You want the black boxes mod. It spawns chests until all your poo poo is saved, it even includes items that were in the build queue when you snuffed it. The only thing is loses is whatever you were holding.

This gallery: http://imgur.com/a/CxXxd

I still think it's unnecessarily convoluted but Dred wants to play with loads of trains so w/e. I'll post pictures of my take on it if angels updates sometime and I can load it again.

Eh, we would still need the giant sorter even if we did go down the FAR more logical "One giant crusher unit that crushes every type of ore", but yeah, more trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Yellow (storage) logisitics chests aren't useless, even if you don't want to use them as a buffer. If you research logistics trash slots, your bots will move stuff you put in your personal trash to storage. When satisfying a logistics request, items in storage are drawn from before items in passive supplier chests, so the stuff you trash is "recycled" with a higher priority than creating new products.