Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Fairly sure just a real world day, because imagine having to play or keep the game running for 24 hours every time you wanted to craft new balls

That was my assumption but it's been quite a while since I gave him the apricorns in the real world. My DS is super old but I just want some Heavy Balls and Level Balls for that sweet prestige in ORAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I thoughts you couldn't move items between generations?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Rygar201 posted:

You can't but you can put Pokemon in balls and then move the Pokemon

And I think you can pass down balls via breeding but I don't care because who cares about balls ya weirdos

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

Yeah I'm going to catch something in a ball and then move it and then breed it because I'm already Masuda Methoding for a Shroomish so I might as well prolong my suffering a bit longer by trying to fit it into a fancier Pokeball

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You can move items between generation 3 and generation 4, I think. You can't move items in transfers between later generations.

However, from generation 3 onward, the ball a pokemon was caught in is persisted, and it remains reflected even if you transfer it forward. So even though there are no Safari Balls or Moon Balls (for instance) in generation 5, if you transfer forward a pokemon that you caught in one of those in gen 3 or gen 4, it'll still use that icon in your team listing. (Additionally, if you trade from HG/SS to D/P/Pt, it won't display the icon because those balls weren't programmed in, but it will still "remember" it and display it correctly in gen 5 and onward.)

What's more, starting from generation 6, when breeding, the pokemon will inherit the ball it was caught in from its mother, unless the ball is a Master Ball or Cherish Ball or either parent is a Ditto.

So you can catch a pokemon in HG/SS with the most stylish of all the apricorn balls, then transfer it forward to X/Y/OR/AS, and pass it down through breeding in a way that gets you this good cosmetic feature and things like egg moves, good IVs, etc.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they changed the bug contest ball from a red ball with an S on it to a red ball with a white pokeball pattern on it and now the perfect scizor ball is ruined

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Only the classiest and most luxurious balls for my pocket monsters, sir :agesilaus:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

moon ball shinx or luxury ball shiny aegislash are probably the best combos now

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

I remember how badly the official guides were written back then.

The one I had for G/S claimed Magneton got worse between R/B/Y and G/S because when it got the steel typing it lost speed so Electrode was what you should be using.

I got a guide claiming that paralysis didn't stop Gloom or Weepinbell because they didn't need to move to attack. Also that you should use the Master Ball on such hard to catch Pokemon as Tentacruel.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i hope we get some cool new balls in Alola.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Magma balls or something that are good at catching fire types. Volt balls for electric. I dunno. New balls would be rad.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I caught my solrock in a dusk ball :smug:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Elfgames posted:

i hope we get some cool new balls in Alola.

Bring back Ball Capsules.

Just get rid of the whole "can't box a guy unless you remove the capsule first" thing and remove the individual letters so people don't go around writing swears on their pokemon and ruining things for children (replace them with predefined words and maybe one that just spells out the 'mons nickname) and they'd be fine.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zodack posted:

Magma balls or something that are good at catching fire types. Volt balls for electric. I dunno. New balls would be rad.

Maybe a daytime counterpart to Dusk Balls or something that gets better the more money or health you have? That or Insulator Balls that work best on Fire, Electric, and Poison types?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

make a paint ball that can be customized with top color + bottom color + pattern + pattern color. an npc smeargle paints them for you

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A fart ball. That pops out gas when it opens. lol

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Is that a new pokemon idea?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

mabels big day posted:

Decus posted:

No it's Koffing.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Decus posted:

They had gas balls in Pokemon Snap, iirc.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is there a downside or limitation to megadigivolve?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

You can only Warp Digivolve one mon on your team per battle and they can't hold a non-mega stone item

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

I caught my solrock in a dusk ball :smug:

Should've gone with a Moon Ball.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ruggington posted:

You can only Warp Digivolve one mon on your team per battle and they can't hold a non-mega stone item

Mega-evloution is clearly BURST Digivolution.

Learn the lore, Ruggs

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I thought megaevolution was pretty similarly today regular digivolve since it's battle focused and temporary :shrug:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also what's in the egg I got from that one guy while doing plot. Am I lugging it around for good reason?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

Also what's in the egg I got from that one guy while doing plot. Am I lugging it around for good reason?

Which game?

In ORAS its just a Wynaut so, uh, reaaaaaally not worth it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

I thought megaevolution was pretty similarly today regular digivolve since it's battle focused and temporary :shrug:

But it's based on the players FIERY SPIRIT and THE STRENGTH OF THEIR BOND with their pokemon. Clearly BURST Digivolution.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But it's based on the players FIERY SPIRIT and THE STRENGTH OF THEIR BOND with their pokemon. Clearly BURST Digivolution.

...Isn't that literally every form of Digivolution?

Except Armor I guess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zore posted:

...Isn't that literally every form of Digivolution?

Except Armor I guess.

Nah most of them are just Have a Magic Device or The Digimon Is High Enough Level With Certain Stats.

Hell, this is even discounting all the natural permanent digivolutions that happen all the time.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm really enjoying triples. It's fun. My team isn't super well thought out but I'm doing alright.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I catch everything in dive balls now

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Nah most of them are just Have a Magic Device or The Digimon Is High Enough Level With Certain Stats.

Hell, this is even discounting all the natural permanent digivolutions that happen all the time.

I feel like I may have missed some key DigiLore in the 15-18 or so years its been since I last watched it, hah.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Mega-evloution is clearly BURST Digivolution.

Learn the lore, Ruggs

I still have so much training to do...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Bring back pokeball seals

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Bring back Mail

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I want to wonder trade away affirmations all day with the occasional "you suck" thrown in.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So who else will buy a TOMY Z Ring and wear it every day to their important grown up job

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nodoze posted:

Bring back pokeball seals

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Bring mail back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It's cloudy and cool today. I really want to build a fire pit with my 8 cinder blocks because today is the perfect day for a fire.

Gotta even out the ground first to turn the round ashy spot into a square ashy spot.

I only have a garden trowel.