Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I watched all of the Season 1 BTS. The very first one was great, where Sangmin found garnet and he IMMEDIATELY monologued and then he left and then when he found out it was Jinho's he came back and monologued again and the producers were basically like "What a waste of time."

I also liked the one where Jinho basically kept asking the dealer questions about how Open / Pass worked, right down to the procedure. You can see he was trying to break the game.

Also loved Sunggyu x Jinho talking about how they wouldn't betray each other for like two minutes and then a giant caption appears that basically said "This was a conversation between BETRAYAL MASTER SUNGGYU who has betrayed someone every episode, and Jinho, who has gotten backstabbed twice."

--

And then I moved onto the first ep of Season 2! I...really do not like the cast for this one. Especially creepy smiley guy. He looks like he's just there to be a chaos player...like a guy who will backstab and mess things up for no reason other than he could. Basically, the Worst Teammate™.

But by far the worst was luckily the first guy eliminated. He was so cocksure, holy poo poo. He didn't understand why people wouldn't just do exactly as he says all the time, and he got mad at another player for thinking about her alliance rather than what he wanted. So self-centered.

Strangely enough, he was not self-centered enough during the deathmatch, because he had his teammates call out if they had big cards, whereas the girl explicitly told her teammates what she needed for the optimal result and...well, the results speak for themselves. She secured a win pretty convincingly.

I agree with Sangmin though. Season 2's cast is a bit...blah compared to Season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Just starting the semi-final of Season Three now. I am hoping for a Min Min Twins final because it'd be nice for their long term plan to come to fruition because they are clearly the two best players. Their alliance did give them an advantage but it was just the two of them and when they started it there were eight or nine other players so they played well as opposed to sheer weight of numbers. I don't really like Yeonseung either. He had two good Death Matches and a great Main Match in the second horse race but for the most part he was just caught up in the current of other players which is funny because he declined Dongmin's great deal to be "independent" then just got told to do whatever Yoohyun wanted. He's also just fairly boring and doesn't interest me at all as a player tbh. In the final I'd like Hyunmin to win because I want Dongmin back in Season Four but I don't want any season winners in Season Four.

I didn't feel bad about Yeonjoo going out for failing to call "impossible" on Dongmin's move at all. If she had won it would have been solely because Dongmin imploded, not that she would have done badly but right from the start he blew it so we never got to see if she'd have been good at it because she got the perfect scenario twice in a row. I was also impressed by Dongmin's unwavering confidence which must have gone a long way in making her feel self-doubt. Yeonjoo was also the person who ruined Dongmin's perfect Yoohyun/Yeonseung elimination plan so this was balance.

To defend my main babe Hyunmin even more I'd like to point out that Jinho did two things that the thread would have crucified Hyunmin for in this episode. Jinho mentions making someone come last as well as thinking about pulling out of the four person starting bid. I don't blame Jinho for these or think they're bad things I just think it's funny that the thread was constantly looking down on Hyunmin for making people last and claiming "Jinho would just find a way to win" and then that happened. Jinho also picked Hyunmin as his successor basically so gently caress all ya'll haters.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

EmmyOk posted:

To defend my main babe Hyunmin even more I'd like to point out that Jinho did two things that the thread would have crucified Hyunmin for in this episode. Jinho mentions making someone come last as well as thinking about pulling out of the four person starting bid. I don't blame Jinho for these or think they're bad things I just think it's funny that the thread was constantly looking down on Hyunmin for making people last and claiming "Jinho would just find a way to win" and then that happened. Jinho also picked Hyunmin as his successor basically so gently caress all ya'll haters.

Pretty much. Whether "I can make someone last" is a thing or not is a matter of game design, not players. How do you make anyone last in most of the games of s1? With the exception of E3, there's no obvious way of making someone else last... and you know what? That's what the big group did. They didn't perform a clever trick to get one of theirs ahead, they just played an oppressive game that meant the other team couldn't play.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Exercu posted:

Yeah, I'd put the death matches in four rough categories.

One is just monorail. Solved, under perfect play from one side it doesn't matter what the other does. Technically also janggi I think.

The other consists of gyul hap, same picture hunt etc. Under perfect play, entirely random. Under non perfect play, a skilled player will almost always win.

Poker games - basically randomish.
A good player will win more than he loses, but not too much.

Then there's the social checks like Quattro, sun moon stars and winning streak.

I'd be interested to see your Monorail solution if that implies you have one. I found a player 1 solution, technically 4 solutions if you count rotations of it and I'm pretty sure there are more. 12 Janggi as another perfect information game is theoretically solvable certainly but there are about a billion game states so no-one is going to memorise the entire game tree

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Blue Star Error posted:

I'd be interested to see your Monorail solution if that implies you have one. I found a player 1 solution, technically 4 solutions if you count rotations of it and I'm pretty sure there are more. 12 Janggi as another perfect information game is theoretically solvable certainly but there are about a billion game states so no-one is going to memorise the entire game tree

Regarding Janggi - that's why I added the "technically". Because it's only very technically solved, yeah. For humans, it's not.

I don't actually have a solution to monorail myself. But it's clear that it's solvable in a way most other games aren't (being an impartial game). I'm kind of curious about your solution. Does it fixate the track on the first player move? I suppose it would almost have to in order to force a win.

edit: so my phrasing that monorail is solved was probably a bit too strong. It's definitely solvable.

double edit: On the other hand, if the first player hasn't prepared a winning move, he can still play something that's a proven losing move, but deep enough that the opponent probably can't play it perfectly

Exercu fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 27, 2016

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
First move:
code:
 ______ ______
|______|______|
|______|______|
|______|______|______ ______    
       |____  |  | | |  ____|
       |__  | |  | | | |  __|
       |__|_|_|__|_|_|_|_|__|
Final track:
code:
 ______ ______ ______ ______
|  ____|______|______|____  |
| |  __|______|______ __  | |
|_| |__|______|______|__|_|_|______ ______   
| | |__|______|____  |  | | |  ____|____  |
| |____|______|__  | |  | | | |  __|__  | |
|______|______|__|_|_|__|_|_|_|_|__|__|_|_|
              |  | | |  | |_|_| |  |  | | |
              |  | | |  |___|___|  |  | | |
              |__|_|_|______|______|__|_|_|
              |  | |_|______|______|__| | |
              |  |___|______|______|____| |
              |______|______|______|______|
So yeah my solution does fix the entire track. I suspect there are 1 and 2 tile first move solutions too but they open up the game tree much wider so its harder to come up with them, also harder to remember / calculate all the moves if you actually play it.

I think if you are the first player and you don't have a solution the best strategy is to play one tile, as the more fixed the track is the easier it is to come up with a winning move.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Blue Star Error posted:

[Elegant solution was here]

So yeah my solution does fix the entire track. I suspect there are 1 and 2 tile first move solutions too but they open up the game tree much wider so its harder to come up with them, also harder to remember / calculate all the moves if you actually play it.

I think if you are the first player and you don't have a solution the best strategy is to play one tile, as the more fixed the track is the easier it is to come up with a winning move.

Huh. That's actually a really elegant first move. I had a feeling it would have to be mostly symmetrical to let P1 benefit from mirroring.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

re: making people come in last, there's a bit of a difference between "let's me and my friends help each other out so none of us finish in last place" and "let's all focus fire on one person and totally strongarm them into last so it's not us." The former is definitely a little less fun, I don't dislike Hyunmin for it or anything but one of the reasons it gets talked about around here I think is that I think a lot of people see it as a factor in why Hyunmin didn't get jack poo poo support from the eliminated contestants in the finale, although, of course, Dongmin being the older professional vs a young know-it-all student is probably another

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Fast Luck posted:

re: making people come in last, there's a bit of a difference between "let's me and my friends help each other out so none of us finish in last place" and "let's all focus fire on one person and totally strongarm them into last so it's not us." The former is definitely a little less fun, I don't dislike Hyunmin for it or anything but one of the reasons it gets talked about around here I think is that I think a lot of people see it as a factor in why Hyunmin didn't get jack poo poo support from the eliminated contestants in the finale, although, of course, Dongmin being the older professional vs a young know-it-all student is probably another

It's this and also that the strongarming was mixed in with image preservation so you ended up with shitshows like the insufferable first Middle Race where the result was decided from the start but no one wanted to pull the trigger for actual in-filming hours.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I can't watch the last two episodes for a while so I watched the first half of Crim Scene S01E01 and Henry is why the word odious was invented.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I can't watch the last two episodes for a while so I watched the first half of Crim Scene S01E01 and Henry is why the word odious was invented.

They get rid of him starting with the third case, which is unfortunately episode 5.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Our rewatch is up to the King Game in season 2 and holy poo poo how did I forget the twist?! Such an incredibly satisfying episode with perfect editing and music.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Shabadu posted:

Our rewatch is up to the King Game in season 2 and holy poo poo how did I forget the twist?! Such an incredibly satisfying episode with perfect editing and music.

I just saw this it was SO GOOD doohee on point

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

JINHO NO WHY

EDIT: In my haste I didn't realise I was the last person to post in the thread (sorry!) but homg my heart that was like crazy amounts of bad luck

Artelier fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 28, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Artelier posted:

JINHO NO WHY

EDIT: In my haste I didn't realise I was the last person to post in the thread (sorry!) but homg my heart that was like crazy amounts of bad luck

Double posts are fine now and then when something crazy happened imo! Yeah literally the only thing that could beat Jinho was luck, Jiwon's strategy was actually given to him by Yohwan who is a poker pro atm.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Is there another source for the season 2-4 eps besides dailymotion? All the videos there go completely black after 30 seconds and all the alternative download links are dead/redirect to nothing of use.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I use a plugin to pull them down from DM

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I use convert2mp3.net which is fine and dandy, essential when you run into a youtube video blocked for your region.

My fave BTS is The Gigglefit. You'll know when you see it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
youtube-dl is excellent if you have some command line skills.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

On the second case and enjoying it but Henry and his forced quirkiness and long theories about nothing are the worst. Rest of the car is great and of course perfect boy Jinho is class president.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

But but... HE'S DOWSING FOR CLUES?

How can you not love that?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BSam posted:

But but... HE'S DOWSING FOR CLUES?

How can you not love that?

It worked in Liar Game!

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

quote:

Basically, there’s a lot of factors preventing Season 3 from happening. Crime Scene isn’t a show that anyone can produce. The writers for Crime Scene are now working on other projects. Producing Crime Scene requires 10 months of extensive preparation. So, it’s not ideal for them to pluck the writers away from their current projects to reform the Crime Scene team. Also, there’s extremely high expectations and standards for Season 3. Unless everything falls into place, they won’t begin producing Season 3. Also, Yoon Hyun-joon CP is the guy managing the Two Yoo Project. Two Yoo Project Season 2 will happen before Crime Scene Season 3 (if it ever happens).
http://www.asianjunkie.com/2016/08/26/crime-scene-3-isnt-even-close-to-returning-and-im-mad-as-gently caress/

:smith:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Henry got criticised for being dumb on the first case and says he will be more serious than begins to listen to the crime scene and just start making up tonnes of facts again, yeesh. That said the first two cases are fun so far.

For The Genius S03E11 should I just skip to the Death Match or finally google Yutnori rules?

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Henry got criticised for being dumb on the first case and says he will be more serious than begins to listen to the crime scene and just start making up tonnes of facts again, yeesh. That said the first two cases are fun so far.

For The Genius S03E11 should I just skip to the Death Match or finally google Yutnori rules?

That match was the thing that finally made Yutnori click for me, so I would just watch it.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Yutnori is ludo but instead of dice there are marked sticks. Number of marks is number of steps with a few caveats.

One mark is one back, zero marks is five forward and zero and four both give an extra throw.

So:

zero marks is five steps + one more throw.
one mark is one step back.
two marks is two steps.
three marks is three steps
four marks is four steps+1throw

Landing on another player's piece gives you an extra throw and sends theirs back to the beginning

Landing on a corner lets you use the shorter path from there.

Landing on your own piece lets you stack them. You can now move both at the same time and lose both at the same time.

The end

Exercu fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 29, 2016

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

EmmyOk posted:

S3E11's main match is just Liar's Dice. Knowing Yutnori rules is more of a bonus there than a requirement.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I binged with my attention half on for the rest of Season 2 and overall I'd say it definitely has good moments, with God's Judgment being the best overall episode even though my heart just gave out.

I'm going to start spoilering too in case of new people and I think I'm almost caught up to the guy who was ahead of me.

All in all, I thought Season 2 was weak because there was too much social gaming. I'm not sure if it was meant to be designed that way, but because of how strong the alliances were and how quickly the people that could figure out games were defeated, it meant that the only players left were people who worked best as a team...and Sangmin was the best at manipulating the team. He also had so many advantages through pure luck, and Yohwan was basically an idiot for leading him to the Token of Immortality (which he didn't need in the end, but still)

Junghyung ended up being my favourite of the new cast easily. He was quite bad at figuring out new things, but he was so earnest and his poker face game was on point. I also love how he was like the Team Dad, and he even wanted everyone to have reunions at the end! Hilarious. He was also decent at strategising when it came to games he understood, he just didn't take into account other players.

Yohwan was a loving idiot though. It's not even about the losing streak that he had or whatever. It's more, he'd come up with strats that if nothing else, seem reasonable if not optimal...and then undermine his own strategy for no gain. Constantly. Over, and over, and over again. This was so obvious in the NotSnakesAndLadders game where he agreed to comply with the team's tosses and in turn one sabotaged his own team. Like. Why. And the one with the numbers bidding he was just..uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurghhhhghggh.

I really like Duuhee, and was sad to see him get locked out of the game like that. It's one thing to lock someone out due to game mechanics, it's another to lock someone out due to them being careless in a moment of excitement...on an entertainment show. He was still in the room where the theft happened...wasn't theft not allowed? Does that not count as theft though? Or maybe it did and they're not sure of the consequences. Then Sangmin hosed him over again, which was great for the reaction. I felt bad for him but at least Sangmin screwed him over with the intended mechanics rather than just going "Nope you attended but can't play, sorry." We never did find out if Jinho could have had a way to turn the tables by playing with two cards either.

Yoonsun was great, wish she lasted longer. Strong player and different than the rest.

Great to see the Season 1 cast clown the rest on their return though, and good on Junseok for seeing the betrayal coming.

Overall, fun stuff, but quite a big step down from season 1 ONTO SEASON THREE I am halfway through the first ep and I really like Dongmin. He seems reasonable and level headed and thinking of the rules. Was a bit miffed at the return of Hweejong but found it cute that he admitted that as a teacher, he just can't help but want to tell others about everything he knows.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'll finish season 3 tonight so I reckon we only need to spoiler session 4 for now cos you'll overtake me. I think new people are infrequent enough that we'll notice if one turns up.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dragonatrix posted:

S3E11's main match is just Liar's Dice. Knowing Yutnori rules is more of a bonus there than a requirement.

You should watch that main match because it has a great finish.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My main man, Execru, gave a top dollar explanation so I definitely will now. It's way easier than wikipedia made out :saddowns: On Crime Scene E5 and am in love with Banggeul so it's a shame she leaves for Kang soon. In the second case they all should have picked jack like I did based on evidence found

Also I am praying this detective in Case Three gets it right or I'll feel so bad for him. IMO it's not big deal if he's wrong but on a national stage I want him to succeed.

e: also lmao at the first two pairs badmouthing each other and then Jiyoon and Jinho both being like "yep I'm with the other smart person"

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I'm halfway through S2E10. I don't get this game at all. I've played plenty of complicated werewolf/mafia games and I can't wrap my brain around this one's meta.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Can someone clarify the prize money in this show? Are the Bumdy subtitle translations for the dollar values just for simplicity or is that what they are actually winning each episode/season? Is that considered a lot of money?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FAT BATMAN posted:

I'm halfway through S2E10. I don't get this game at all. I've played plenty of complicated werewolf/mafia games and I can't wrap my brain around this one's meta.

Do you mean episode one? The food chain game sounds more similar to what you're saying than the elevator game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

xcore posted:

Can someone clarify the prize money in this show? Are the Bumdy subtitle translations for the dollar values just for simplicity or is that what they are actually winning each episode/season? Is that considered a lot of money?

Each garnet is about a thousand USD, give or take.

Only the winner of the entire season gets to cash out his garnets.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

The episode before Elevator game, the one where Super Junior joins them. It ended up not mattering what the meta was once Yohwan threw the game.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

xcore posted:

I believe the subtitles just divide the amount of Korean Won by 1000, which is the rule of thumb approximate exchange rate. So the real prize is the subtitled dollar amount times 1000, in Won.

I think "$10,000" goes a bit further in Korea than $10,000 in the US in terms of living expenses (insert a million caveats here, I'm speaking incredibly broadly), so you should be slightly more wowed by the prizes than you might otherwise be at their face value.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

FAT BATMAN posted:

The episode before Elevator game, the one where Super Junior joins them. It ended up not mattering what the meta was once Yohwan threw the game.

I couldn't wrap my head around this too but surprise surprise, Yohwan hosed it up again.

So many episodes which had people (mainly him) tanking, makes season 2 not as clever for the most part.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Artelier posted:

I couldn't wrap my head around this too but surprise surprise, Yohwan hosed it up again.

So many episodes which had people (mainly him) tanking, makes season 2 not as clever for the most part.
To be honest I think they kind of half-assed the explanation in the actual broadcast because they knew it didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Comrade Gorbash posted:

To be honest I think they kind of half-assed the explanation in the actual broadcast because they knew it didn't matter.

"The next game is . . .you know what, Yohwan looses. Enjoy."