Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Antti posted:

I still don't have enough faith in this show because when she hit her head on the wall I assumed, as is common practice on TV, that she'd died and that was that. It would've been a horrible way to get out of the hole Esmail'd written himself in by having her just turn up out of nowhere. (But I still feel like not even having some rudimentary tripwire system to warn them automatically if she turned up was uncharacteristically stupid.)

To be there was very very stupid. That might be a pet peeve, but is the one thing that really bothered me this season.

I mean, there they are hacking and commanding the biggest conspiracy ever, in someone else's house, when that someone can show up at any minute, and theu have no way of knowing when or preventing it, and she happens to be this important executive in the very own company that they are trying to destroy

Be there for a day or two and it would have beem OK, but they been there for like a week, obviously the owner would come around eventually. How the gently caress did they think that was a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Real criminals are that stupid all the time, but the difference is that they end up in prison for it.

The police only need to get lucky once.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Elias_Maluco posted:

To be there was very very stupid. That might be a pet peeve, but is the one thing that really bothered me this season.

I mean, there they are hacking and commanding the biggest conspiracy ever, in someone else's house, when that someone can show up at any minute, and theu have no way of knowing when or preventing it, and she happens to be this important executive in the very own company that they are trying to destroy

Be there for a day or two and it would have beem OK, but they been there for like a week, obviously the owner would come around eventually. How the gently caress did they think that was a good idea

There's a reason Elliot is in charge. When his stupidity overwhelms him, he has a backup personality.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Elias_Maluco posted:

They said they were tracking the gps on her cell phone in an earlier episode, by this point they had become got complacent and distracted because of the unplanned FBI hack they had to undertake and weren't keeping close enough tabs on it. I think it may have even been on one of the screens they panned past right before she walked in or right as she walked in.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

kill me now posted:

They said they were tracking the gps on her cell phone in an earlier episode, by this point they had become got complacent and distracted because of the unplanned FBI hack they had to undertake and weren't keeping close enough tabs on it. I think it may have even been on one of the screens they panned past right before she walked in or right as she walked in.

Yeah, but even if they had someone watching her on GPS 24 hours a day (which would be kinda of impratical), it was still very dangerous. They would still had to pack up a flee when they realize she was near and then they would have a few minutes tops to clean up their tracks and disappear

It was dumb

Boogaleeboo posted:

There's a reason Elliot is in charge. When his stupidity overwhelms him, he has a backup personality.

Yep

EDIT: they could at least had hacked (I assume it had some kind of eletronic lock) the goddam door so she wounldt be able to just walk in

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 29, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ApexAftermath posted:

Does anyone else feel like one of the major reveals is going to be the mother and whatever she is up to?

No.

Med School posted:

I can't believe they killed the black fsociety hacker first. Stay classy, writers...

Still love this show though.

He had to go back in time to the 70's so he could be the father of some of the members of a fantasy influential Hip-Hop group.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some people in this thread are so loving thin-skinned lmaooooo

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I kind of think that a lot of what we're seeing this late in the season is that - like Mr. Robot keeps alluding to - Darlene is not up to the task of leading fsociety.

Even going back to the "give me your phone" scene from really early on, she's been shown to be gradually letting things slip out of control, and now it's all coming to a head. The dropped tape with her face and fingerprints on it; getting careless about Madame Executioner coming home; bribing the guy at the animal shelter with the presumptively traceable eCoin from the wallet of the person she'd just killed..

Darlene's getting sloppy and/or overwhelmed, and things are falling apart.

I kind of suspect that the remainder of S2 will be at least partially about everything coming down around her ears, and that one of S3's arcs might be Elliot getting her out of the pile of poo poo that's about to rain down upon her.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
I actually like the interpretation that Darlene knew it would happen eventually, and planned on it happening, so that she could exact her long brewing revenge on the lawyer who laughed at her father's defeat.

It would explain why she seemed a lot less shell-shocked at her arrival, and why she chose to hole up in her house in particular.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

DopeGhoti posted:

I kind of think that a lot of what we're seeing this late in the season is that - like Mr. Robot keeps alluding to - Darlene is not up to the task of leading fsociety.

Darlene is the Daenerys of MR Robot

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

Darlene is the Daenerys of MR Robot

Nah, unlike Danerys, Darlene is actually doing things. And her arc is seeming to take fewer than three seasons to show any progress.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
ELLIOTT IS FINKLE! FINKLE IS MR ROBOT! MR ROBOT IS ELLIOTT!!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Elliot is the fish.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Boywhiz88 posted:

ELLIOTT IS FINKLE! FINKLE IS MR ROBOT! MR ROBOT IS ELLIOTT!!

THAT'S WHY TYRELL WELLICK WAS KILLED! HE FOUND MR. WINKIE!

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Dude I would NOT have given my fish to Angela to take care of. She didn't even put him by a window...

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Max posted:

Elliot is the fish.

I jokingly said it recently. Someone else did just within the past few days. Someone else said it right after the episode aired. I actually think it's unironically awesome that this could be a possibility. Since the fish just sees the same poo poo every day but media culture could be rotating in its view every day (including re-runs of Alf); it would explain all of the random music, tv, and movie references. Just so I don't piss more people off I'm not actually suggesting this.

Escobarbarian posted:

Some people in this thread are so loving thin-skinned lmaooooo

I know, merely suggesting a theory like Elliot = Darlene makes people lose all of their social niceties. loving hilarious.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 29, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Sean posted:

Also, I'm just going to enjoy if you say I'm dumb and don't offer any substance in your reply.
Several people did actually make substantive responses though, you just ignored them and carried on.

Absurd Revolver posted:

I actually like the interpretation that Darlene knew it would happen eventually, and planned on it happening, so that she could exact her long brewing revenge on the lawyer who laughed at her father's defeat.
I thought that was pretty explicit. The others don't think things through and just assumed that since she said it would be fine, it would be fine, but all along she knew the woman would come back and they'd have to deal with her, which would give her the chance/excuse to kill her that she's wanted for years.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

The Sean posted:

I know, merely suggesting a theory like Elliot = Darlene makes people lose all of their social niceties. loving hilarious.

Theorizing is fine and all, but after dealing with the whole Elliot is Tyrell theory (which honestly was way closer to having legs than Elliot is Darlene), it's not really surprising that other posters don't have the patience to entertain this sort of thing just because of the nature of Elliot's character. I try to be civil when posting, however I also completely understand why people were immediately attacking you over that theory.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing rude about stating that a theory that isn't supported or backed up in any way by the text, aside from a vague idea of "well they hide things so maybe they're hiding this!", is not a good theory.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
If Elliot is Darlene then it cheapens all the time I watched the "Sister" reveal from last season. It's like when I played Warcraft when I was a kid but then Metzen went back and said "No the Orcs were good all along!"

It wouldn't be a theory it would be a retcon.

It's like when I was watching Shameless and they were like "No Steve was alive the whole time!"

It's like trying to put together a timeline for the history of Metal Gear.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Time to go find an Easter Egg in Kernel Panic:
http://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2016/08/mr-robots-hacking-guru-is-happy-to-leave-us-breadcrumbs-across-the-internet/

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Tiggum posted:

Several people did actually make substantive responses though, you just ignored them and carried on.

I don't think that I ignored anything of substance. You literally edited out me recognizing someone for challenging the theory with some substance in the same paragraph that you were responding to. Not even just the same post--the same paragraph. To put it another way, you said that I ignore people but deleted the line where I didn't ignore someone.

There were a few comments I gave positive recognition to, I believe. I think a lot of people were either being 1) assholes 2) funny or 3) a bunch of loving babies. The first two parties I can excuse. If you feel I was too dismissive then let me know (privately, even, to not make this thread about me). A lot of poo poo I saw was like "dumb lol" or "let me get my notes" sarcastically. Again, whatever. Just put me on ignore if you don't want to read my posts. Or just scroll past. Now that I think of how hard that is I realize the monstrous burden I've placed on others.

Also, this post is from someone who still posts in the thread and the content and tone could be otherwise be a response to me. I am purposefully not using their username since this is nothing personal. This was from before the Mr Robot reveal and the dude/dudette is still posting in the thread despite "not thinking of a way for [pulling off the device]:

quote:

I have difficulty being OK with Mr. Robot being Tyler Durden because I cannot think of a way for them to do it in a satisfactory manner. If they can pull that off, more power to them. Otherwise, I think we're all finding so many parallels to other forms of media that we're latching onto the Durden issue too tightly to the point where we're basically convincing ourselves and using every small detail as a means of support.

In the interest of making the thread about something else:
Someone asked recently about writing "Whiterose" vs "White Rose." I looked it up and I think it's supposed to be one word in the frame of the show. However, I learned about a resistance group in WWII-era Germany that went by the name of White Rose that distributed pamphlets contesting the monstrosities of the Nazi Party (a la fsociety's video-based political statements). One link I find interesting between the White Rose group and fsociety is that White Rose seemed to be a bunch of people from different religious and ethnic backgrounds. Another cool correlation is that two of the main members were siblings.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 30, 2016

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
The only acceptable spelling is wh1ter0se :colbert:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I'm not reading the thread, but I fell behind a couple of weeks, catching up now, and goddamn this show.

How many times have I typed 'ifconfig wlan1 up' in my life? NUts, but makes sense.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Yeah Darlene was expecting lawyer lady to come back - the Angela/Darlene paths to revenge contrast nicely.

Also it's still the most visually impressive show on television (that I'm aware of anyway).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still playing through the game. That IT tech Henry Cohen is such a useless shithead.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Elite posted:

The thing I like about Mr Robot's twists is that things make more sense after the reveal than before.

- Darlene being Elliot's sister answers so many questions about why she has such a casual sense of familiarity around him.
- Mr Robot being Elliot's alternate personality explains why the leader of this glorious revolution just fades into the background and does nothing whenever Elliot turns up.
- Elliot being in prison answers so many questions about the weirdness of his new disconnected life.

I was watching episode 2 and when Darlene takes Elliot back to the funhouse hideout there's a cool scene where Mr. Robot steps in front of Elliot to speak to Darlene, indicating that he is speaking for Elliot. When she responds the camera angle makes it unclear who she is looking at.

Not every scene is flawless in that regard but it's good enough to be satisfying. Between the fantastic acting and directing it's an easy sell.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Escobarbarian posted:

Still playing through the game. That IT tech Henry Cohen is such a useless shithead.

You take that back, Henry is a loving treasure.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

I think my game broke, he hasn't gotten back to me in 23 hours now.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Sean posted:

Just put me on ignore if you don't want to read my posts. Or just scroll past. Now that I think of how hard that is I realize the monstrous burden I've placed on others.
I don't think anyone's telling you to stop posting, we just think you're wrong and only paying attention to things that support your idea and ignoring everything that contradicts it.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

a dog from hell posted:

I was watching episode 2 and when Darlene takes Elliot back to the funhouse hideout there's a cool scene where Mr. Robot steps in front of Elliot to speak to Darlene, indicating that he is speaking for Elliot. When she responds the camera angle makes it unclear who she is looking at.

Not every scene is flawless in that regard but it's good enough to be satisfying. Between the fantastic acting and directing it's an easy sell.

I think there's an interview somewhere that discusses all of the on-set rules when mr robot is in a scene. Like if he is talking nobody is to look at or acknowledge Elliot (works both ways). Even the extras are super careful.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

wyoak posted:

Yeah Darlene was expecting lawyer lady to come back - the Angela/Darlene paths to revenge contrast nicely.

While I like this, the way Darlene went about it, Susan could've walked into her house, heard a bunch of voices, hidden and immediately called the police. Next thing you know an entire tac team is swarming the place.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Sean posted:

the tall black guy and bearded white guy hackers from fsociety

Just before Elliot first meets Whiterose Darlene gives him her phone number and insists that he put it in his phone. Mr Robot is pissed off right afterwards as they're not supposed to make any real connection with eachother in fsociety. Why would Darlene have to give Elliot her phone number if they're siblings and previously close to eachother (previous to Elliots apparent freakout before the start of season 1, that is?). Really there'd be no reason for this.

In the scene right after that, the Fscociety Mask character calls out Gideon directly but the distorted voice sounds very much like Darlene to me.

In order:

Mobley is Indian, his real surname is Markesh, and he's played by an Indian guy.

Mr. Robot (Elliot) is pissed that his sister is putting their operation in danger. Elliot doesn't remember that, and has no reason at this time to need a fellow fsociety member's number. Presumably he deleted it when he and Darlene started fsociety last Halloween.

It is Darlene, who scrambled together an fsociety video to distract Gideon on Elliot's behalf. Presumably she knows the name of Elliot's boss and one of the wardens of Ecorp's files.

Also if Elliot is Darlene how did he seduce Cisco and the gun guy, and how did he hack into the women's ballet class? And if Darlene is Elliot how did she get sentenced to a men's prison?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Also if Elliot is Darlene how did he seduce Cisco and the gun guy, and how did he hack into the women's ballet class? And if Darlene is Elliot how did she get sentenced to a men's prison?

I think the answer is pretty obvious: Elliot/Darlene is transgender and can pass as both, man and woman.

e: He/she is a hermaphrodite and can retract his/her various genitalia at will. Transgender has been a huge subject this season, with the introduction of Whiterose.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

waitwhatno posted:

I think the answer is pretty obvious: Elliot/Darlene is transgender and can pass as both, man and woman.

e: He/she is a hermaphrodite and can retract his/her various genitalia at will. Transgender has been a huge subject this season, with the introduction of Whiterose.
Despite how stupid this whole post is, it's the part where you think Whiterose was introduced this season that bothers me the most. Uuuggghhhh.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mameluke posted:

In order:

Mobley is Indian, his real surname is Markesh, and he's played by an Indian guy.

Mr. Robot (Elliot) is pissed that his sister is putting their operation in danger. Elliot doesn't remember that, and has no reason at this time to need a fellow fsociety member's number. Presumably he deleted it when he and Darlene started fsociety last Halloween.

It is Darlene, who scrambled together an fsociety video to distract Gideon on Elliot's behalf. Presumably she knows the name of Elliot's boss and one of the wardens of Ecorp's files.

Thanks for this detailed response. There are ways I can bs some responses up for the last paragraph (that probably wouldnt really explain things) but instead I'll kindly shut up.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 30, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just realized there's no new episode this week :negative:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
WHAT

EDIT: YES THERE IS. WHY WOULD YOU EVEN DO THAT YOU loving DICK

death to snak brigade

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've been following this which says the next episode is Sep 7th.

edit: Either it updated or I can't count. I'm so sorry.

But not a lot, cause now I'm just happy there's an episode this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
code:
19.    2-9                 31 Aug 16   eps2.7_init5.fve (65 min)
you feelin ok, dude?

e: all is well. i am recovering from my mild heart attack

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 30, 2016

• Locked thread