Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

Saint's Row 4.

That's more of a "special hug" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's more of a "special hug" button.

not the hostage taking, but even going back to at least saint's row 2 there are taunt/compliment buttons that you can customize

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

timp posted:

It's commonly cited in this thread but Red Dead Redemption has a dedicated tip your hat and say howdy button

Which button is this cause I tried every button

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

it might be d-pad right. I do know that it changes depending on alignment so if you are evil you straight insult people.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

not the hostage taking, but even going back to at least saint's row 2 there are taunt/compliment buttons that you can customize

I think he's talking about the "special adult hug" button in Saints Row 4.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

Always Feel Boss.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Transistor has a dedicated button for snuggling up to the sword with your boyfriend's soul trapped inside and humming along with the background music.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Leal posted:

Always Feel Boss.

THE TIME HAS COME FOR YOU TO FEEL BOSS.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Mondian posted:

CK2 has great little references all throughout it. It may just be time for another playthru to see the new additions.

For content:

e: Speaking of Paradox games, I never quite understood what this was a reference to. You find a planetoid with an interesting "mountain range" and upon successfully researching it you discover the mountain range is in fact the giant skeleton of a long deceased creature. What is this referencing?

I believe this could be possibly a reference to Planescape: Torment.

One of the areas features a ginormous skeleton of a dragon or colossus or something similar. There's a curmudgeonly guy living underneath it who is magically bound to help you with various things - including telling you how to get out of the area.

There's an exit portal under the skeleton's arse. :getin:

edit - this is amazing, possibly the most niche reference I've seen in a game!

Yoshimo has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Aug 30, 2016

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Yoshimo posted:

One of the areas features a ginormous skeleton of a dragon or colossus or something similar. There's a curmudgeonly guy living underneath it who is magically bound to help you with various things - including telling you how to get out of the area.

I thought it was referring Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's suddenly materialized sperm whale, but that makes sense, too

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yoshimo posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you! I love Torment, can't believe I didn't catch this myself, though I haven't played it since it released...

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I thought it was referring Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy's suddenly materialized sperm whale, but that makes sense, too

This was my initial reaction, but there was no mention of a flower pot.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

TontoCorazon posted:

I think it's Circle on PS3, but it's context-sensitive so John will only do it when someone is nearby.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
One last thing about Bravely Second thing, the final boss was pretty great.
Halfway through, he pauses the fight to formally address you for being an rear end in a top hat for playing video games, takes control of your game, goes back to the title screen and tries to delete your save file.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

E: wrong thread

Scaly Haylie has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Aug 30, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm replaying GTA V in the PS4 version. It added a bunch of new songs, such as Cat's in the Cradle. And I don't know if it was just random animations playing out, but I swear I saw Michael wiping tears from his eyes when that came on the radio.

Less ambiguous: in an early game mission Michael needs to pose as an IT guy at a tech bro company and buys an appropriate outfit at a store, feeding the clerk a story about having a job interview. After that mission, if you ever revisit the store as Michael, she recognizes him and follows up on the story.

It's a very shallow game in many respects, but I'm pretty sure you could play it many times and never catch all the dialogue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

scarycave posted:

One last thing about Bravely Second thing, the final boss was pretty great.
Halfway through, he pauses the fight to formally address you for being an rear end in a top hat for playing video games, takes control of your game, goes back to the title screen and tries to delete your save file.

The thing I really liked about that was rather than the usual meta "you suck so loving much for playing video games" twist, the character's response was "Awesome, it's rad to have this guy along for our adventure who makes sure don't die! Thanks for the help, sky god!"

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm replaying GTA V in the PS4 version. It added a bunch of new songs, such as Cat's in the Cradle. And I don't know if it was just random animations playing out, but I swear I saw Michael wiping tears from his eyes when that came on the radio.

Less ambiguous: in an early game mission Michael needs to pose as an IT guy at a tech bro company and buys an appropriate outfit at a store, feeding the clerk a story about having a job interview. After that mission, if you ever revisit the store as Michael, she recognizes him and follows up on the story.

It's a very shallow game in many respects, but I'm pretty sure you could play it many times and never catch all the dialogue.

I think it might've already been posted here, but here's another example of "they thought to code for this?" in GTAV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mIMogB5GkU

Like you say, there's a lot to the game that even a dedicated person would never encounter in their playthrough. I was amazed at the sheer amount of dialogue that could quite possibly never be heard through the 'hangout with friends' system. It's practically MGS codec levels of dialogue.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FutureCop posted:

I think it might've already been posted here, but here's another example of "they thought to code for this?" in GTAV

If you find one of the other characters in the game world and hit them with a car or shoot them or something you get their medical bill from the hospital if I remember right.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Goofballs posted:

So for example you could fire the chancellor from your vassal council and appoint your horse in his position

For a while, there was also a loophole which let you play as a horse, leading to at least one playthrough with a horse-led Roman Empire.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Vlad the Retailer posted:

For a while, there was also a loophole which let you play as a horse, leading to at least one playthrough with a horse-led Roman Empire.

Looks like the nays had it.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Samovar posted:

Looks like the neighs had it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vlad the Retailer posted:

"The Caligula loophole"

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

If you find one of the other characters in the game world and hit them with a car or shoot them or something you get their medical bill from the hospital if I remember right.

Aren't there particularly angry messages for very specific things - like, say, firing rockets at Michael's house?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

poptart_fairy posted:

Aren't there particularly angry messages for very specific things - like, say, firing rockets at Michael's house?

He texts/calls you and tells you to "stop firing missiles at my loving house!" or something along those lines.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

poptart_fairy posted:

Roro posted:

He texts/calls you and tells you to "stop firing missiles at my loving house!" or something along those lines.

Uhh..

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The other characters will call you to bitch you out if you steal their personal vehicles.

CK2: I'm playing a game with frequent BLACK DEATH, and watching the ruling classes of the world get regularly eviscerated by the Black Death every 25-50 years is comical. Large empires regularly descend into civil wars because of the Plague King modifier. It's magnificent. It's like watching the world burn, over, and over, and over again.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

My Lovely Horse posted:

GTA V is a monumental game full of great little touches in a massive world, in what ways is it shallow? (Not an attack on you either, I'm just curious what you think is shallow about it.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tumble posted:

GTA V is a monumental game full of great little touches in a massive world, in what ways is it shallow? (Not an attack on you either, I'm just curious what you think is shallow about it.)

The heist system that was built up in the previews turned out to only have five heists total in the game. The only real way to make money is by playing the ingame stock market (:nallears:).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tumble posted:

The actual gameplay mechanics are super shallow. The world itself is largely empty and has very little to do that isn't just driving around. It has impressive size and detail but is largely skin-deep as there's no meaningful way to interact with most of it. It's massive but that size actually works against it because the interesting things to do in the world are spread out extremely thinly. It's polished as hell and a very impressive achievement but it's got little to do in-world if you're not interested in just driving around causing things to explode. (And if you're looking to cause things to explode a lot of the competition is less polished but offers more options.)

Like genuinely, aside from its size, GTAV is less impressive from a design standpoint than San Andreas which is brimming with all sorts of weird poo poo and fun breaks from the gameplay in addition to being a stunning experience on the PS2.

Edit: In related to my favorite little thing in SA: The Jetpack. It's a goofy item you get from the Area-51-alike sidequest but once you get it you have the ability to just fly around at will. It's an incredibly feeling thing for a franchise which tends to limit your upward mobility to helicopters or planes.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Aug 31, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Can you get fat in GTA5?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
My roommate is a very nice guy but a huge dope, one of the first conversations we had was about video games, and he goes "Man, have you played GTAV? I beat it in like three days and brought it back to the store in time to get a refund," and I'm like "Iiiiiiiiiii think you missed the point of that game"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The actual gameplay mechanics are super shallow. The world itself is largely empty and has very little to do that isn't just driving around. It has impressive size and detail but is largely skin-deep as there's no meaningful way to interact with most of it. It's massive but that size actually works against it because the interesting things to do in the world are spread out extremely thinly. It's polished as hell and a very impressive achievement but it's got little to do in-world if you're not interested in just driving around causing things to explode. (And if you're looking to cause things to explode a lot of the competition is less polished but offers more options.)

Like genuinely, aside from its size, GTAV is less impressive from a design standpoint than San Andreas which is brimming with all sorts of weird poo poo and fun breaks from the gameplay in addition to being a stunning experience on the PS2.

Edit: In related to my favorite little thing in SA: The Jetpack. It's a goofy item you get from the Area-51-alike sidequest but once you get it you have the ability to just fly around at will. It's an incredibly feeling thing for a franchise which tends to limit your upward mobility to helicopters or planes.

Also, San Andreas is fun.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
GTA peaked with San Andreas. It has so many unique things to it I don't think Rockstar really understands, and short of an updated HD re-release I don't think GTA even has the potential to be as good.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, that could be said about real life, too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and doing the "Glitch" side mission. Adam is standing there dealing with his standard crazy stuff by being aloof and then all of a sudden he gets blind sided by the return of a character and his defenses go down, he puts away his shades and starts acting more like a normal person.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Space station 13 has a ton of poo poo. Here's someone' spoiler list, posted without explanation

ErikHanson posted:

I recently decided to quit playing SS13 as a whole due to various degrees of drama and other things going on behind the scenes, and now that i finally have a new job, i don't really have the time to play anymore, so i decided to share my notepad and other various things I've learned over the past year(s) of playing on Goonstation, please don't use this for awful or lovely things.

• The bad ending can be completed < 30 minutes, even faster if you manage to spawn with a key in your backpack.
    • The bee egg & bee key from the bee station west of the diner.
    • The House key from the DJ Station East of the diner.
    • The Future key from the Future ship East of the DJ Station.
    • The Phaser from the Future ship.
    • One Key Lime Pie.
      • Just take a stop at the russian ship to plant some limes, and get back to it once you got the other items from the biodome.
    • The Book & Key from the Biodome caves.
    • The Dongle from the Biodome satelite.
    • The final key from the iridium drone.
      • You can kill the iridium drone solo by simply getting a drill-pod and drilling it by mashing space-bar.
  • Putting an obsidian crown onto a owl critter owl-gibs you, and then disconnects you.
  • There is a *johnny emote that almost nobody knows of (Dixon Balls, please. He had a family Clark Clarkson takes a drag from a cigarette and blows his name out in smoke.)
  • There is a *monologue emote for the detective, good detectives use it.
  • WiFi mechanics components have a cooldown, but you can get rid of that by simply putting down multiple of them, allowing you to quite literally spam the ever-living poo poo out of people, or PDA bomb the entire crew on the same tick.
  • You can get to CentComm by placing a teleporter beacon on one of the trader shuttles, and then using a locker to enter a teleporter set to said beacon.
  • Phlogiston mixed with Thermite and dilluted with water or FFoam will literally allow you to melt down all station walls with one beaker of you keep dilluting it.
  • Cold Beer heals toxin damage.
  • IV Drips are magical fun devices, fill them with the requirements for a flashbang, wear goggles and ear protection and nobody will ever stun you whilst you run around rampaging the station.
  • Mixing Vodka with Changeling blood is an easy, and tasty way to test people! "The blood feverishly tries to escape the burn of the vodka, but eventually succumbs."
  • lithium causes people to step into random directions each life tick it's inside them, makes a great potion.
  • mercury causes brain damage, mix it with some lithium for a fun time.
  • phosphorus is a great way to cause your plants to grow fast(er)
  • plasma causes epinephrine to decay faster.
  • Using mutagen on banana plants will give them the Immortal gene which can easily be spliced into man eating plants, and hostile tomato plants, if you're into being a shitfucker.
  • energydrink, morphine and salicylic_acid and methamphetamine are good ways to go fast.
  • mutadone re-sets your genetic stability to 100.
  • strange green goop allows you to see ghosts.
  • you don't take damage inside bath tubs, ice cubes, honey cubes and various other station objects.
  • glass shards are OP! High tier gems can do up to and above 30 damage per click.
  • c-sabers do an instant KO when you hit someone with it whilst de-activated.
  • you can stack cloaking devices on top of each other to create an invisible field that is really really invisible.
  • Creating meth causes people in range to receive 10 units of toxin, and 20 units of neurotoxin if they dont wear masks.
  • Making Jenkem also does this, but with 25 units of Jenkem.
  • vanilla has a chance to remove your genetic effects.
  • IV drips filled with mutadone and smoke powder are a great way to annoy geneticists.
  • potassium is great for plants too!
  • sugar causes overdoses at 200 units, their are various chemicals that decay into high amounts of sugar and cause them to go into overdose and get knocked down, cheap neurotoxin alternative.
  • holy water has a one percent change to cure a disease.
  • triplemeth fucks you up once you have more than 20 units of it, but it grants you 1000 stamina regen rate.
  • lime juice and orange juice and lemon juice and lemonade will blind people that don't wear a mask.
  • triple citrus will remove small amounts of toxin damage.
  • omnizine overdoses at 30 units.
  • Gin and Sonic decays into meth.
  • Gin and Chronic decays into THC
  • Prairie Fire decays into capsaicin and histamine
  • Ecto Cooler decays into VHFCS which decays into large amounts of sugar, it also decays into green goop which as mentioned above lets you see ghosts.
  • You can create a "double smoke reaction" by using a smoke reaction to smoke VHFCS and the other required reagents for a smoke reaction into nearby mobs, effectively allowing you to create a larger reaction!
  • refried beans and eggs cause you to fart.
  • george melonium is a great tool for traitors, it works at 0.1u and has chances to day into drugs, cause explosions, and much more.
  • tea removes toxin.
  • tea with honey fixes the cold, fly and food poisoning.
  • all you need to kill a blob is an egun and a flamethrower.
  • you can put tank transfer valves, canister bombs and more inside your stomach by putting them inside a pod, and then removing the pod storage container and putting that inside a deep fryer, makes for great pranks.
  • the bridge contains a AI upload, and Robotics console board, you don't ever have to enter the AI upload to reset it, just take those and construct one on the diner.
  • the engine will go faster from 0 to 100 if you use nitrogen in the cold loop.
  • sparks are hot, they (ab)use them to heat things up really hot.
  • pills will react when set on fire with a welding torch, fill up a pill bottle with bad poo poo, dump it, and then proceed to throw a welder on top for some good fireworks.
  • you can inject batteries with plasma, stuff them in an APC and wait for someone to turn it on.
  • IV drips work when inside backpacks, and pockets.
  • having more than 100 units of salt in you causes brain damage.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Only ever had enough money for one property in gta5 (the gay bar) and expected a Vice City style mini-campaign, but all I got was a few texts to chase a thief or make a delivery before the time ran out and :effort: stuff like that.

Are the others the same?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

Only ever had enough money for one property in gta5 (the gay bar) and expected a Vice City style mini-campaign, but all I got was a few texts to chase a thief or make a delivery before the time ran out and :effort: stuff like that.

Are the others the same?

From what I hear, pretty much. Buying property sounds worthless in GTAV

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

A White Guy posted:

The other characters will call you to bitch you out if you steal their personal vehicles.

This also applies to the cars belonging to Michael's wife and daughter. I love destroying them as Trevor with the worst driving possible.

Buying properties in GTA V was definitely a late game addition as the payouts are not balanced very well at all. The only way to buy everything is using the assassination mission stock market tricks which are one time things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
GTA5 is an amazing world but a pretty boring game. Seriously hope Rockstar start amping up the actual gameplay rather than just blowing all their budget and time on their 'living world' stuff for 6. Immersion is great and all but it only carries you as far as there's stuff to do.