Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sicne modders don't get paid the only points and numbers they can really accrue is pageviews/downloads so I would consider telling people to download their stuff and give them motivation to steal more as supporting them

at the end of the day though it's just mods, so it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things just know the dude is a jerk lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I presume every modder is a jerk anyway

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Gobblecoque posted:

I presume every modder is a jerk anyway

as a modder and a certified jerk i can confirm

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Only a minor fix though somebody reskinned the flight helmet to something that isn't a hidious shade of vomit yellow.

Also, somebody made a Tek 9 with the files size passing the 100 Megabyte mark.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

SeanBeansShako posted:

:gonk:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I needed all those polygons. You can't make a pissbucket worth peeing on without 60k polys, minimum.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

final unzipped sized is 538 mb lmao almost half a gig for a single loving weapon

74k polys (~7 suits of power armor) with the smallest loadout (reciever, rear/front sights, small magazine, snub barrel)

182k polys (almost 18 suits of power armor on your screen at all times!) with the most ridiculous loadout because ya'll dudes don't have self control and tacticool the poo poo out of everything (receiver, rear/front glow sights, barrel mag, long barrel, sight rail, suppressor, sniper scope)

e: to put that in perspective, Geralt in any of his armors, with any facial hair and any hairstyle at any point in Witcher 3 uses less polygons than the smallest loadout of this weapon lmao

e2: also I forgot to post this:

2.8k polys for just the default rear sight. not even both sights!

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 29, 2016

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I want a picture of that wild haired 'aliens' guy but it says modders instead.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Babe Magnet posted:

final unzipped sized is 538 mb lmao almost half a gig for a single loving weapon

74k polys (~7 suits of power armor) with the smallest loadout (reciever, rear/front sights, small magazine, snub barrel)

182k polys (almost 18 suits of power armor on your screen at all times!) with the most ridiculous loadout because ya'll dudes don't have self control and tacticool the poo poo out of everything (receiver, rear/front glow sights, barrel mag, long barrel, sight rail, suppressor, sniper scope)

e: to put that in perspective, Geralt in any of his armors, with any facial hair and any hairstyle at any point in Witcher 3 uses less polygons than the smallest loadout of this weapon lmao

e2: also I forgot to post this:

2.8k polys for just the default rear sight. not even both sights!

How is this even possible? (I am not a modder and/or insane)

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

8 Ball posted:

You make things round instead of "not-so-round"

A circle in a game is not really a circle, but lot's of small straight pieces arranged in a circle. The more straight pieces, the rounder it looks. Then it's a compromise between performance and looks, since more straights means worse performance.

I would guess the creator made this while zoomed in pretty far, and it would look awesome if it was scaled up 1000 times and used as the world map.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It's important Tec 9 rear sights be perfect. You can tell just by looking at one that they're the product of very tight and meticulous craftsmanship.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Apparently a selection of Nexus modders have the same grasp of basic understanding with model editing as a certain band has with magnets and basic physics now. I look forward to the 500 megabyte mark being broken next week!

Become the man (or woman) with the Golden Gun!

This one is pretty neat as while it is a dangerous weapon, you have to actually find the parts that assemble the iconic weapon.

Also, who likes dusters? we all like dusters! DUSTER DAY! Celebrate your visit to Nuka World dressed up in Plunkett's Duster which despite the name is more of a Lonesome Hearts Ranger tribute act or how about a dapper looking more traditional duster formal suit combo for your female characters to pistol fan in!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I tried to install Conifers Redux and Greener Gras via NMM along with some other stuff, but they don't seem to be working. What am I missing?

edit: I didn't have a F4 custom ini, so I created one. What exactly is supposed to be in it, other than

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

to make mods work?

next edit: wait I think I see the problem. I don't have a Fallout4.ini, only a Fallout4_Default.ini. This is a new install. What do I do now?

edit3: I am an idiot who was looking in the wrong folder.

botany fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 29, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

botany posted:

I tried to install Conifers Redux and Greener Gras via NMM along with some other stuff, but they don't seem to be working. What am I missing?

edit: I didn't have a F4 custom ini, so I created one. What exactly is supposed to be in it, other than

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

to make mods work?

next edit: wait I think I see the problem. I don't have a Fallout4.ini, only a Fallout4_Default.ini. This is a new install. What do I do now?

edit3: I am an idiot who was looking in the wrong folder.

Replace "sResourceDataDirsFinal=" with:

code:
sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\
and try again.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Cernunnos posted:

Replace "sResourceDataDirsFinal=" with:

code:
sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\
and try again.

Yeah thanks, everything is working now, I just had to modify the correct inis rather than the ones in the game directory. Game looks gorgeous now but the forest is an actual forest and I can't see poo poo cause there's trees everywhere.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dunno-Lars posted:

I would guess the creator made this while zoomed in pretty far, and it would look awesome if it was scaled up 1000 times and used as the world map.

Hey, if Xenoblade can be a world built on two dead giants...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

8 Ball posted:

Dunno-Lars touched upon it but basically the process for creating modern, high-definition models goes like: create big dumb super nice high-end polygon reference model, create another low-end, optimized model that's as complicated as you can get it while still fitting under a strict budget (that's created so that your engine doesn't poo poo itself when too much is loaded in at once; this is important because Fallout 4's engine isn't great), bake maps (normal, AO, specular, etc.) from the high-res model to the low-res model to help you fake all the detail present on the high-polygon piece, and then you do whatever else you need to do like textures, loading it into middle-man programs like NIFskope to get it in a game-ready state, etc. etc.

these dudes are only really doing the first and last parts. These are good models these guys are using, excellent models even, but they're not doing what's arguably the most important step for creating models for video games rather than display pieces or movies: the optimization. Ironically enough it really makes them look kind of amateurish. A real professional, hell just someone who knows their way around the process really, could be real clever about their normal maps and geometry and give you a gun that looks exactly the same but uses literally 10 times less polygons, even more. All but a couple of the Black Ops 3 guns clock in under 10k (when they're not using the ~20-30k versions that are specifically only used as the display pieces inside of isolated menus, not out in the world loaded in with everything else)

Basically these guys are great artists (or are sourcing from great artists) but poo poo at the part where they're making things for video games and not for their portfolios.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It'd be nice if they'd actually listen to the critical complaints instead of throwing a Nexus fit and pretending it's cool it's fine nobody else saw it maaaaaan!

Also, do you ever feel like it sucked you couldn't wear the Aviator cap the muties have and pretend your the Gyrocopter capatain from Mad Max? well, now you can. Wear that aviator cap and wear it good!

Also, multiple Batsuits. For your inner Batmen.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17819/

Binoculars! For when you want to see long distances without a sniper rifle scope.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Midnight Voyager posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17819/

Binoculars! For when you want to see long distances without a sniper rifle scope.
Awesome. I was watching Many a True Nerd and his Fallout 4 survival series, and he made a lightweight pipe pistol with a recon scope, with no intention of using at as a weapon, just to tag enemies. That made me think about how good it would be if we had a set of binos.

Also, these look cool as gently caress: War paint for power armor

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
So, 3.1 gig,
Nuka's downloading now,
Thats a nice size for a final DLC. hope its not as low effort as any of their workshop addons.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Falken posted:

It's like some really cool looking sets of power armor were discovered by raiders based out of a hot topic.

Wonder if he'd release a version with just the camo + wear/damage, and maybe the skull paints for the helmets. All the other little decals are just tacky, even if he did a great job of working them into the texture. I will also nitpick that the armors are all tagged "USMC" but also have a patch for a U.S. Army cavalry unit.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

staberind posted:

So, 3.1 gig,
Nuka's downloading now,
Thats a nice size for a final DLC. hope its not as low effort as any of their workshop addons.

I'm seeing a lot more new weapons and armor than Far Harbor had. The landmass isn't as big but it contains a lot more unique assets.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Falken posted:

Wish he went with more of a b-17 nose art look and less of a 16 year old goth kids notebook.

Like he has b-17 in there but it kind of gets overshadowed with "PAIN!" and "CRAZED KILLA!"

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow
Whoa, FDI is already updated for Nuka World (in English), F4SE is still current, none of my mods are broken, and everything seems to be good to go out of the box. This is great. Thanks Cirosan, if you see this!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Deified Data posted:

I'm seeing a lot more new weapons and armor than Far Harbor had. The landmass isn't as big but it contains a lot more unique assets.

Unique assets and factions are completely my bag,
I'm kind of underwhelmed by the dlc so far, well, FO4 in general, it has some great ideas, PA frames and so on,
but the execution of the entire game is a humourless flogging a greasy spot on the floor where a dead horse might have been.
Well its a commercial success so I guess we have a FO5 to look forward to.

Man Whore posted:

Wish he went with more of a b-17 nose art look and less of a 16 year old goth kids notebook.

Like he has b-17 in there but it kind of gets overshadowed with "PAIN!" and "CRAZED KILLA!"

So, its too close to the modern american war machine for your taste?

I do agree though, I might go through the art and edit out anything that blatantly does not fit in the FO kind of lore. (but leaving in the donald duck with a gun crap because : donald duck with a gun).

staberind fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 30, 2016

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

potaties posted:

Whoa, FDI is already updated for Nuka World (in English), F4SE is still current, none of my mods are broken, and everything seems to be good to go out of the box. This is great. Thanks Cirosan, if you see this!

I was wondering about F4SE, so thanks for being the canary in the coal mine. Hopefully that means the Achievements mod is fine too.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Delsaber posted:

I was wondering about F4SE, so thanks for being the canary in the coal mine. Hopefully that means the Achievements mod is fine too.

My F4SE told me it was out of date after I installed Nuka World and now my game crashes when I save. Not so smooth for me, unfortunately.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
So now that nuka world is out, the best era of modding is ahead of us. Now Bethesda can't steal ideas from mods and implement them as paid DLC and we know what's needed/not coming.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There are already mods out for Nuka, one adding one of the new guns to Commonwealth raider spawn lists and the other removing the helmet from the Nuka Girl (DRINK AT RITA'S) spacesuit.

Also, It sounds like half the fun for Nuka World is settlement stomping.

Which kind of sucks as I haven't bothered with settlements on my new character. Sort of hoping some sort of auto settlement mod might happen now.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Did all the mods break with 1.7? I reinstalled and I'm using FO4 1.7.12 with Mod Organizer, the mods install but no textures show up so things like new guns are invisible/textures don't apply etc.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Sylink posted:

Did all the mods break with 1.7? I reinstalled and I'm using FO4 1.7.12 with Mod Organizer, the mods install but no textures show up so things like new guns are invisible/textures don't apply etc.

I'm having no problems, but I don't have many mods that add new content. Texture replacements still work though!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Must be a setting in MO then because NMM works fine inexplicably.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

This Fusion Gun looks pretty boss for anyone looking for flexible energy weapons to shoot things with!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone have conflicts between their mods and Nuka World, like maybe Raider Overhaul?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It seems Weaponsmith Extended isn't Nuka World friendly at all. So I guess I'll wait until it's either patched?

Seriously, why the gently caress hasn't anyone made a work around mod dealing with the ammo bloat with that fucker.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Are there any mods like (or supplements to) the Weapon Balance Overhaul that actually address everything added by DLC? WBO's author hinted at working on something, but that was about three months ago and I gotta get my game on finally.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are there any mods like (or supplements to) the Weapon Balance Overhaul that actually address everything added by DLC? WBO's author hinted at working on something, but that was about three months ago and I gotta get my game on finally.

So I'm the author of WBO, and to be entirely honest I just haven't been at all interested in fallout recently. Add working full time, classes, filling out a sf86, on top of general disinterest and you'll have a bad time.

Fortunately, my summer job has finished and I literally placed an order for a very fancy $2400 laptop with a 1070 like, fifteen minutes ago, and if that doesn't get me back in the saddle I dunno what will. So two weeks or so, that's my ETA.

In any event, WBO is very savegame friendly. You can also just make your own changes in FO4edit as well if you get tired of waiting!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Iron Rose posted:

So I'm the author of WBO, and to be entirely honest I just haven't been at all interested in fallout recently. Add working full time, classes, filling out a sf86, on top of general disinterest and you'll have a bad time.

Fortunately, my summer job has finished and I literally placed an order for a very fancy $2400 laptop with a 1070 like, fifteen minutes ago, and if that doesn't get me back in the saddle I dunno what will. So two weeks or so, that's my ETA.

In any event, WBO is very savegame friendly. You can also just make your own changes in FO4edit as well if you get tired of waiting!

Very interesting, thanks for the information. Well I hope you get back into it! I love the mod and haven't really touched the game since Automatron, but I basically refuse to get back into it without things like WBO un-loving aspects of the game.

What laptop did you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Very interesting, thanks for the information. Well I hope you get back into it! I love the mod and haven't really touched the game since Automatron, but I basically refuse to get back into it without things like WBO un-loving aspects of the game.

What laptop did you get?

The Aorus x5 v6, which came out yesterday.

Has a fancy 3K screen with GSYNC and I really really dig the RGB keyboard. It's also 2.3 cm thick, which is pretty dang tiny for a gaming laptop.

Runs Fallout 4 at ~40FPS Ultra... in 4K. Something like 100FPS @ 1080p.