Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drgitlin posted:

Flying Delta One tomorrow for the first time. Normally fly BA transatlantic, either Club World or First. I need someone to hold me and tell me it'll be OK.

(Also a little miffed I couldn't go OneWorld because now I get no tier points and a bunch of useless Delta Miles.)

It's very similar to club world. It's not like you'll be stuck in US domestic first class or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^^ :argh:

first world problems

drgitlin posted:

Flying Delta One tomorrow for the first time. Normally fly BA transatlantic, either Club World or First. I need someone to hold me and tell me it'll be OK.

(Also a little miffed I couldn't go OneWorld because now I get no tier points and a bunch of useless Delta Miles.)

I'm sure you will be fine.

I, on the other hand, am flying Delta First on a Domestic configured 767-332 from HNL-SLC in a couple weeks which from what I stand is only marginally better than bad coach for the 6 hour flight. At least the outbound 757 is recently redone and supposedly decent.

No pods or layflats though which I would kill for .

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delta flies a domestic configuration 757 from MSP to Rekyjavik. Since that's technically transatlantic it's marketed as business class, it carefully doesn't say delta one anywhere online but it does at the airport. My mom and dad were one of my he few people in that class. When my dad complained the purser had a very long list of the logistical fuckups caused by using a domestic aircraft on that route. He encouraged complaining to delta because the crew's complaints certainly weren't going anywhere.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Everyone here at Pratt is talking about the 737 engine failure. A sigh of relief that it wasn't one of our engines. We're also pretty glad none of the issues were working on are this public. I can guarantee you none of the guys over at GE slept this weekend.

I took a look at it, saw that all the parts we make for it are on the exhaust end and said "whatever"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

Delta flies a domestic configuration 757 from MSP to Rekyjavik. Since that's technically transatlantic it's marketed as business class, it carefully doesn't say delta one anywhere online but it does at the airport. My mom and dad were one of my he few people in that class. When my dad complained the purser had a very long list of the logistical fuckups caused by using a domestic aircraft on that route. He encouraged complaining to delta because the crew's complaints certainly weren't going anywhere.

Wait, is special ETOPS qualification not necessary for that route?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hobbesmaster posted:

When my dad complained the purser had a very long list of the logistical fuckups caused by using a domestic aircraft on that route. He encouraged complaining to delta because the crew's complaints certainly weren't going anywhere.

Speaking of, American Airlines has a message for you: Maybe YOU should be trying harder if you want a nice flight?!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Its probably the planes that do MSP-HNL in the winter time. The MSP-KEF route is roughly the same length, but everyone in economy doesn't get a free dinner, booze and a ton of free checked bags. Flying out the cargo hold ran out of room. They started running out of a lot of types of drinks at the start of the 2nd service. The galleys were not large enough to hold the proper international load out or something, idk as I said it was my dad that had a long talk with the purser after complaining about buying a B ticket and wasting some crazy number of miles (it was priced like a delta one flight).

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Phy posted:

The clock
Is a tyrant thing
And it makes
A buzzing ring
Bound
By time's demands
I drove to work with a ring of fans

I wish we could 5 individual posts.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

EvilJoven posted:

Hahaha remember when I posted about how as soon as you take all this lovely emergent notacopter technology and fine tune it so it's actually safe and efficient you get a helicopter.

I would say that they have it pretty well tuned. How many conventional helicopters are flown hands off on the first manned flight.

The only thing holding this technology right now is battery capacity. The small gas turbine generator will take care of that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

helno posted:

I would say that they have it pretty well tuned. How many conventional helicopters are flown hands off on the first manned flight.

The only thing holding this technology right now is battery capacity. The small gas turbine generator will take care of that.

Yeah, the tradeoff for controlability is safety. Airplanes and traditional helicopters can safely land from altitude even with a total powerplant failure; what happens if the battery fails while this thing's flying? Oops, you drop like a stone because you have no wings and can't autorotate like a copter can.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

helno posted:

Is... is that really feasible? Would be pretty awesome to have long range vehicles (flying or not) by using a small traditional engine to generate energy. But I assume that it isn't very efficient

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Phy posted:

The clock
Is a tyrant thing
And it makes
A buzzing ring
Bound
By time's demands

You can't touch this!

helno posted:

Maybe you could just connect the turbine engine to the propulsion system? Save the weight of the battery system.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Godholio posted:

Maybe you could just connect the turbine engine to the propulsion system? Save the weight of the battery system.

But then don't get an electrical engine's responsiveness :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pffft just go diesel works for locomotives

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Inacio posted:

Is... is that really feasible? Would be pretty awesome to have long range vehicles (flying or not) by using a small traditional engine to generate energy. But I assume that it isn't very efficient

Trouble with small gas turbines is that they have to run at a stupidly high RPM.

Platystemon posted:

I think there are actually a fair number of diversion airports on the route, between Greenland, Newfoundland, etc.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phy posted:

The clock
Is a tyrant thing
And it makes
A buzzing ring
Bound
By time's demands

That took me longer than it should, but the reward was great. Well done.

Enourmo posted:

what happens if the battery fails while this thing's flying? Oops, you drop like a stone because you have no wings and can't autorotate like a copter can.

You pop the BRS and the whole thing descends safely under parachute. What happens when a single gear in the massively complex gearbox of a twin engine helicopter fails? The rotor falls off and everyone dies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHC_Helikopter_Service_Flight_241

Oh and the manufacturer tries to influence the investigation in the media.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Ola posted:

you might say he went right up to the factory and picked it up, it's cheaper that way

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

You pop the BRS and the whole thing descends safely under parachute. What happens when a single gear in the massively complex gearbox of a twin engine helicopter fails? The rotor falls off and everyone dies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHC_Helikopter_Service_Flight_241

Oh and the manufacturer tries to influence the investigation in the media.

A 13 man version of this couldn't use a BRS.

Also I suspect this thing is going to spend too much of its time below the typical 1000ish ft minimum altitude for BRS deployment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

Also I suspect this thing is going to spend too much of its time below the typical 1000ish ft minimum altitude for BRS deployment.
Put some solid rocket motors onboard to bring it to a safe altitude first. :jeb:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh I'm sure, just a random shot back as it was in the news again a few days ago. I doubt we'll see Volocopters ferrying crew to North Sea platforms. But not even a single seat helicopter can use a BRS.

hobbesmaster posted:

quote:

Q. How low can the parachute work?
A. The altitude required is a function of speed more than height. FAA certified tests have shown that full parachute inflation could occur as low as 260-290 feet above the ground.

http://www.brsaerospace.com/faq.aspx

Envelope corners apply to helicopter autorotation and fixed wing engine out landing as well.

e: there's a video of a hangglider trike which accidentally deploys the BRS on takeoff. It inflates immediately, to ill effect.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Inacio posted:

Using a gas or diesel engine to power an electric motor is very efficient (energy wise) and works really well. Pretty much every large ship or train uses this scheme (more recently hybrid cars). But while it's energy efficient it's not size or weight efficient.

Size + Weight usually is trumps in aerospace.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Well, that weirdocopter can lift a 450kg payload. Is that enough for a small generator? I imagine that even with the greatly increased weight the range would be much improved

slidebite posted:

Pffft just go diesel works for locomotives

Let's make a locomotive-sized hoverbike!

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rscott posted:

I took a look at it, saw that all the parts we make for it are on the exhaust end and said "whatever"
RIP Safran :rip:

Edit: their stock didn't even budge haha.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 30, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I was at the hospital today to get some blood work done, and I brought along an old magazine called "Air Classics" from around 1985. It featured two aircraft I'd never heard of:

The Miles M39B Libellula (Dragonfly)

George Miles was a designer of private aircraft in the 1930s, and owned his own firm. In the early part of World War 2, he learned that the two main British fighters, the Hurricane and the Spitfire, were not terribly good at being adapted to carriers - visibility over the nose is kinda important. So, he set to work in secret, [that is to say, secret from the British Government, which was supposed to approve of all design efforts] and designed a wooden fighter with tricycle landing gear, and nestled the pilot right in the nose of the airplane. He also got an eyeful of the Westland Delanne:

a Westland Lysander turned surrealist

and loved the idea of turning the tail of a airplane into a second set of wings. Excited to try out his new ideas, he made a small scale mockup, using spares from his successful line of trainer aircraft. As it was a mockup, he also built the thing out of wood. It was completed by May 1942.

The results were...not great, at least initially. The first flight, the test pilot was reluctant to fly it, leading Miles to take the pilot's seat himself. The M39 proved really reluctant to unstick itself from the ground, until Miles discovered he could get a lot of lift by throttling down his engine to zero during the takeoff maneuver. He then discovered, once airborne, that the center of gravity had been improperly calculated, and it was only through Miles's natural piloting skill that the plane managed to land.

When the Air Ministry first saw the M39 design, monocles popped and there might have been actual rudeness. The Ministry said it would never fly, and Miles retorted that it already had flown. This made the Ministry angry that a plane had been built without its say-so, and issued Miles a formal reprimand. With the center of gravity fixed, the M39 proved a stable, competent flyer that Miles used to test out and confirm his ideas on the whole "double wing" concept, though the Air Ministry now hated it and the Admiralty was just not interested.

Now that Miles knew the idea worked, submitted a design to the latest RAF bomber competition in July 1942. Despite the Air Ministry now looking at its shoes and saying maybe a new high altitude bomber was not really needed (it must have finally sunk in how fantastic the DH Mosquito was in this role) Miles also started a new wooden mockup of his new heavy bomber, a 5/8s scale copy of what Miles was thinking of. The mockup was powered by two DH Gypsy Major engines, a inline motor making about 140 hp. The real thing would have used supercharged Merlins (the Merlin 60) making about 1300 hp. The M39B:

Miles once again suprised the Air Ministry with the flying prototype, but since the prototype was flying well from the get-go and was showing real promise, they restrained their grumbling. They were kinda dickish about taking control of the weird aircraft so they could properly test it, and managed to have two accidents with it right away: first when the pilot forgot to lower the landing gear, and then when Miles had repaired that and sent it back, it was blown over when somebody was doing some engine testing. The design was extensively tested and shared with the Americans, who found it interesting, but was never put into production.

Next:
Goodyear's Ducks and Drakes: Personal Amphibians

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

hobbesmaster posted:

What is the real limit for BRS? What are the heaviest loads that are airdropped?

Murgos posted:

Using a gas or diesel engine to power an electric motor is very efficient (energy wise) and works really well. Pretty much every large ship or train uses this scheme (more recently hybrid cars). But while it's energy efficient it's not size or weight efficient.

I'm wondering how much weight could be saved if the turbine didn't need to be able to lift the copter, just keep it in level flight. Takeoff would be done battery-assisted. Admittedly planes and copters normally operate much closer to their max power, so there wouldn't be nearly us much benefit as with cars.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

EvilJoven posted:

Hahaha remember when I posted about how as soon as you take all this lovely emergent notacopter technology and fine tune it so it's actually safe and efficient you get a helicopter?

These guys are one "gently caress having like a dozen lift fans is pretty dumb let's just have one big lift fan and a little one to counteract torque" away from making my post a reality.
The whole point of a multicopter is to get rid of the delicate mechanically balanced system and let a processor and accelerometers take over that job. A single rotor conventional helicopter is something that requires tons of maintenance, scheduled parts replacements, wear items, fluids, etc. That manned multicopter in the video has less moving parts in the entire vehicle than a Robinson R22 has in just its rotor head alone. It's fly by wire as default, no skills required to fly. Literally no skills more than a video game would require instead of the tens of hours required to fly a conventional helicopter. Oh yeah you can just plug a GPS in to give it advanced autopilot features like auto takeoff and landing and "fly me to work mode."

Murgos posted:

I have a concept in my brain I've been kicking around for a couple years. Right now the efficiency of a gas-electric hybrid drone is about 50%, you put a 4hp gas engine on an AC generator and you get 2hp out basically. If you scale that up to a train or ship it's a lot better but at smaller scale it's less efficient. Based on extremely rough calculations I made using a 25" hobby propeller, I would need roughly 100hp per 1000lbs for flight which includes enough overhead for maneuvers.

Cut that in half for efficiency reasons and I'll need a 300hp engine to fly my 1500lbs sky car, maybe I could get away with less. A high performance lightweight engine like a turbocharged motorcycle engine might be light enough and produce the required power. This is also an application where a Wankel would be appreciated.

So now I have a gas-electric generator powering my flight motors, but I would also add a battery pack. The battery pack would not be used unless in the case of an engine failure. The battery pack would have enough juice to make an emergency landing from cruise altitude but not much more.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 30, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

I have a concept in my brain I've been kicking around for a couple years. Right now the efficiency of a gas-electric hybrid drone is about 50%, you put a 4hp gas engine on an AC generator and you get 2hp out basically. If you scale that up to a train or ship it's a lot better but at smaller scale it's less efficient. Based on extremely rough calculations I made using a 25" hobby propeller, I would need roughly 100hp per 1000lbs for flight which includes enough overhead for maneuvers.

Cut that in half for efficiency reasons and I'll need a 300hp engine to fly my 1500lbs sky car, maybe I could get away with less. A high performance lightweight engine like a turbocharged motorcycle engine might be light enough and produce the required power. This is also an application where a Wankel would be appreciated.

So now I have a gas-electric generator powering my flight motors, but I would also add a battery pack. The battery pack would not be used unless in the case of an engine failure. The battery pack would have enough juice to make an emergency landing from cruise altitude but not much more.

It always comes down to this though. Why lower your efficiency and add complication by creating a system where the liquid fuel combustion engine turns an electric motor which turns the propulsion mechanism, when you could just directly power the propulsion mechanism from the combustion engine and do away with the middle man? You could still run a secondary independent emergency battery or ram air combination electrical drive as backup in case the combustion engine fails. In fact independent would be the better way of doing it from a safety perspective.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Linedance posted:

It always comes down to this though. Why lower your efficiency and add complication by creating a system where the liquid fuel combustion engine turns an electric motor which turns the propulsion mechanism, when you could just directly power the propulsion mechanism from the combustion engine and do away with the middle man? You could still run a secondary independent emergency battery or ram air combination electrical drive as backup in case the combustion engine fails. In fact independent would be the better way of doing it from a safety perspective.

However, having the ICE engine run just a generator tends to decreade failure rates due to less need to change RPMs on the motor repeatedly.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Let's not forget that the reduced mechanical components may lighten the craft enough to completely justify a two step energy conversion with efficiency losses. No shafts, supports, lubrication systems, dampers, collective components etc.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think those electric multirotors will replace anything but leisure craft just yet, but that could be the dawning of something new. I'd imagine snowboarders for instance would be happy to cut their budget and increase their green image by being multirotor'ed up to the mountain top instead of going by carbon spewing AS350.

Saukkis posted:

What is the real limit for BRS? What are the heaviest loads that are airdropped?

BRS themselves say 3400 lbs, obviously bigger things have been supported by parachutes but then we have to start considering acceptable deployment times and packaging weight and volume. Perhaps 4 BRSes, one every 90 deg of the ring? That could in theory carry 10200 lbs with one to spare for redundancy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

I don't think those electric multirotors will replace anything but leisure craft just yet, but that could be the dawning of something new. I'd imagine snowboarders for instance would be happy to cut their budget and increase their green image by being multirotor'ed up to the mountain top instead of going by carbon spewing AS350.

that's actually brilliant. Make it wearable, and in case of avalanche, up up and away!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Linedance posted:

that's actually brilliant. Make it wearable, and in case of avalanche, up up and away!

We can make it voice activated!

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Linedance posted:

Because electric motors are capable of changing their speed 400+ times per second which is required for a multirotor to fly. There is no way to design a mechanical system that does it as well or as simply. A gas-electric generator powering electric motors is mechanically simpler than any direct drive system you can imagine.

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jENWKgMPY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Guys, what if instead of throttling the engines, we controlled the pitch of the rotors. And what if instead of several rotors, we just had one? We could control attitude by varying the pitch of the blades throughout each rotation.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Nebakenezzer posted:

I was at the hospital today to get some blood work done, and I brought along an old magazine called "Air Classics" from around 1985. It featured two aircraft I'd never heard of:

:slick:

Next:
Goodyear's Ducks and Drakes: Personal Amphibians

Never stop posting Nebakenezzer. I hope you are well, I need you to live so I can keep reading your awesome posts.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Guys, what if instead of throttling the engines, we controlled the pitch of the rotors. And what if instead of several rotors, we just had one? We could control attitude by varying the pitch of the blades throughout each rotation.

Sounds complicated. That'll never work.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

Because electric motors are capable of changing their speed 400+ times per second which is required for a multirotor to fly. There is no way to design a mechanical system that does it as well or as simply. A gas-electric generator powering electric motors is mechanically simpler than any direct drive system you can imagine.

Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jENWKgMPY

Ah, didn't realize that was the case with how multi rotors worked. Carry on then!
So you're talking about a centrally located engine/generator, then running power feeders and control wiring to each rotor which is being run by its own electric motor right? Makes sense.
How about this for emergency recovery though... Rather than run all the motors off battery if there's an engine failure, switch a couple of them to be generator and let the rotors spin off ram air, providing some amount of electricity to the remaining rotors to control the rate of descent? Would need less battery that way, if it actually worked.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can't help but think they would get some sort of airbag/parachute combo looking thing. I don't think you could make blades that small store enough energy to auto rotate effectively. I'd love to hear the guy who is a helicopter expert chime in on a subject matter like that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

um excuse me posted:

I can't help but think they would get some sort of airbag/parachute combo looking thing. I don't think you could make blades that small store enough energy to auto rotate effectively. I'd love to hear the guy who is a helicopter expert chime in on a subject matter like that.

I'm not a heli expert, but I do know sophomore-level physics.

Rotational energy scales directly with moment of inertia, which for a rotor (essentially a rod rotating about the midpoint) scales directly with mass, and with the square of length. So even reducing length by half, you'd need four times the mass, so either you've got massive draggy airfoils or you're making your blades out of, like, tungsten to get the same energy storage. And then you've got half the blade length, meaning (probably) less torque from the airflow to spin the rotor up on the way down.

And multicopters are way smaller than half of a typical rotor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Now you're back at the starting point and you have a conventional helicopter. You certainly can do that, and it has been done. If you remember I said one of the benefits of the drone-style multirotor with electric motors is that you replace mechanical complexity with a computer. Since you're flying the copter with a computer it's trivially easy to integrate autopilot features and you could make it fly like a video game so anybody off the street could fly it. Not to mention having far less moving parts means less maintenance and cheaper costs. It will not have the most endurance nor the highest top speed, but it certainly has advantages in a few use cases.