Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

dude what is wrong with the UK

A lack of dessert pizza, apparently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I have fond memories of going to Friendly's with my dad as child. I don't think I'll replicate them with my son though.

The ice cream was dope.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Blacktoll posted:

I have fond memories of going to Friendly's with my dad as child. I don't think I'll replicate them with my son though.

The ice cream was dope.

I still get a cone face whenever I (rarely) go. I think it's a secret menu item by now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CiCi's is the only buffet pizza worth eating.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea why you guys are complaining about Pizza Hut giving you the shits. I've specifically eaten Pizza Hut before just to get things moving down there.

And for cheap pizza, Stevie-B's has the most attentive employees. I only go there for kid's rec league team parties, but they spend way too much time asking how your day is and whether you'd like them to go through the buffet line to get your fat rear end more pizza. Nobody tips there so I have no idea why they're so helpful at an eight dollar all-you-can-eat pizza chain.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

evobatman posted:

Basically, the luxury watch market is better now than it ever has been.

Not recently...

Swiss Watch Demand Slows in a Sign of the Times
http://www.barrons.com/articles/swiss-watch-demand-slows-in-a-sign-of-the-times-1459486907

The Swiss Watch Industry's Perfect Storm
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-07-22/the-swiss-watch-industry-s-perfect-storm

The middle and bottom of the 'luxury' market (i.e. everything above a G-shock) are dropping out.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

a happy snowman posted:

The middle and bottom of the 'luxury' market (i.e. everything above a G-shock) are dropping out.

Isn't that a lot of industries nowadays?

I mean, lately it seems you have "poo poo" and "good", with very rarely anything in between.

I'm thinking of clothing in particular.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
even the expensive things are poo poo lately

i can't think of a single purchase I make where I think 'yeah this'll last 10-15 years' except like, LEGO. Maybe some boots but even then.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Moridin920 posted:

i can't think of a single purchase I make where I think 'yeah this'll last 10-15 years' except like, LEGO.

Time to build everything out of LEGO

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Tallgeese posted:

Isn't that a lot of industries nowadays?

I mean, lately it seems you have "poo poo" and "good", with very rarely anything in between.

I'm thinking of clothing in particular.

Sure, definitely agree, but mechanical watches look like they're being killed by smart watches at an increasingly faster pace.

Hell, Apple grossed more than Rolex their first year. Factor in how big Rolex is compared to most luxury watch makers, how many Apple Watches it takes to equal one boring entry-level Sub, how Swiss watches have been falling hardest with the next generation in the pipeline, and the amount the sales have fallen pretty closely matches the revenue growth in smart watches, and it looks pretty grim.

Give smart watches a few more generations. I keep seeing more of them every day.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i really don't even get watches. what's the point anymore

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

i can't think of a single purchase I make where I think 'yeah this'll last 10-15 years' except like, LEGO. Maybe some boots but even then.

I guess it depends on what kinda stuff you are into? I can't think of anything outside of tech stuff or clothing that I own that I am worried about the non-accidental lifespan off.

I am hella clumsy, so almost nothing I own lives to the end of it's "natural" life span.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

Exactly

But, as an old gently caress with a Speedmaster, it's basically man jewelry

It has gears so it's masculine enough, but it's a status marker

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Wamdoodle posted:

Time to build everything out of LEGO

pffft i wish

lego is crazy expensive per piece

we're gonna hafta go off brand here

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

same point they were invented for. you don't have to reach into your pocket

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bongwizzard posted:

I guess it depends on what kinda stuff you are into? I can't think of anything outside of tech stuff or clothing that I own that I am worried about the non-accidental lifespan off.

I am hella clumsy, so almost nothing I own lives to the end of it's "natural" life span.

idk like your car? I just got a Japanese one so we'll see how that turns out but the last few German cars my family has had were full of the crappiest plastic connectors in the engine bay that turned brittle and wore away resulting in poo poo tons of engine problems constantly.

even houses are being built with shoddy crappy materials

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Moridin920 posted:

i wear them since i do a lot of field work so if im out logging some mud rotary borings or cores and my hands are covered in clay and drilling fluid, i dont want to whip out my phone every time we start/end a run/sample. (also i use a digital waterproof cause lol it takes me too long to interpret analog minutes since im a big gay millenial retard)

they are also good if you dont want to look like an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat and keep whipping out your phone to check the time when you can just glance at your wrist instead. i'm not gunna defend more than >$50 watches tho

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

idk like your car? I just got a Japanese one so we'll see how that turns out but the last few German cars my family has had were full of the crappiest plastic connectors in the engine bay that turned brittle and wore away resulting in poo poo tons of engine problems constantly.

Most houses have always been built out of crappy shoddy materials. We only think they were built out of better stuff because the small minority of old homes that survived were built better.

And cars are so much better than they used to be. Except for maybe Volkwagens, hence your German car problem.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

i wear them since i do a lot of field work so if im out logging some mud rotary borings or cores and my hands are covered in clay and drilling fluid, i dont want to whip out my phone every time we start/end a run/sample. (also i use a digital waterproof cause lol it takes me too long to interpret analog minutes since im a big gay millenial retard)

they are also good if you dont want to look like an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat and keep whipping out your phone to check the time when you can just glance at your wrist instead

okay fair enough but that's kind of an edge case. like I don't think that'd be enough to support the watch industry

Xaris posted:

they are also good if you dont want to look like an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat and keep whipping out your phone to check the time when you can just glance at your wrist instead

meh I don't think anyone really cares about this anymore though do they

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Moridin920 posted:

yeah certainly a dying luxury device. maybe im oldfashioned but i think it feels a bit rude but i guess most people really don't care anymore.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Moridin920 posted:

okay fair enough but that's kind of an edge case. like I don't think that'd be enough to support the watch industry

It doesn't really speak to much of anything but when I moved into actual management and started having meetings with vendors / customers / owners and things it is seen as incredibly bad form to take your phone out during a meeting, especially as a subordinate.

A lot of people in meetings are also going to be old, and they hate all the kids these days being absorbed in their phones so they may think you are snapping chats or using the tweeter

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Shat Sings posted:

It doesn't really speak to much of anything but when I moved into actual management and started having meetings with vendors / customers / owners and things it is seen as incredibly bad form to take your phone out during a meeting, especially as a subordinate.

A lot of people in meetings are also going to be old, and they hate all the kids these days being absorbed in their phones so they may think you are snapping chats or using the tweeter

Yeah I can see that.

It's situational I guess.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fat Shat Sings posted:

...hate all the kids these days being absorbed in their phones so they may think you are snapping chats or using the tweeter

because they are

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Darth can smell a millennial post from up to three miles away

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

vyst posted:

CiCi's is the only buffet pizza worth eating.

dude

no

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
dont even speak of that garbage restaurant

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

dont even speak of that garbage restaurant

Are there any other pizza buffet chains that aren't local? I don't frequent pizza places as much as I used to.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wamdoodle posted:

Are there any other pizza buffet chains that aren't local? I don't frequent pizza places as much as I used to.

Yeah, Feces Pizza as mentioned earlier. They're in 33 states (and they are disgusting)

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Cicis is total garbage tier pizza but it was a buffet and they had the white pizza that was pretty good, plus they had Cruisin' World and Mortal Kombat on the arcade machines in the basement

we had one around the corner from my high school in ~1998 that we all hung out at because of the above

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

Pizza Ranch. Theres a couple around where I live. They have good chicken too.

You can have a pizza made fresh when you arrive so its right out of the oven and they bring it right to your table.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

EvilJoven posted:

Pizza Hut ruled in the 80s and early 90s but in like 97 or something they changed something in their pizza and it went from being greasy good pizza to greasy terrible pizza that gave a ton of people the shits.

So it wasn't just childhood nostalgia that made the pizzas seem good.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

JB50 posted:

Pizza Ranch. Theres a couple around where I live. They have good chicken too.

You can have a pizza made fresh when you arrive so its right out of the oven and they bring it right to your table.

Pizza ranch is p good. Well terrible, but it's buffet pizza so it's not bad for what it is if that makes sense. Bee line straight to the chicken fingers and eat like 6 pounds of them

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

Pizza ranch is p good. Well terrible, but it's buffet pizza so it's not bad for what it is if that makes sense. Bee line straight to the chicken fingers and eat like 6 pounds of them

I feel the bolded part describes the "better" buffets in my experience. Not just pizza ones either.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TheKennedys posted:

Cicis is total garbage tier pizza but it was a buffet and they had the white pizza that was pretty good, plus they had Cruisin' World and Mortal Kombat on the arcade machines in the basement

Mine has Cruisin' World too! Also, it was literally $4 for all you can eat, so it was kinda worth it, even for garbage tier. I actually really liked their cheesy bread.

Also, watches are now sold as pure luxury items that show your "distinguished personality" aka how much money you're willing to waste on a fashion statement.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have whatever model of Casio that the ISIS guys liked, I only wear it at work because I need to check the time constantly and my phone battery gets enough abuse as it is.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Moridin920 posted:

Let me tell you about planned obsolescence...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Wamdoodle posted:

I feel the bolded part describes the "better" buffets in my experience. Not just pizza ones either.

Agreed 100%.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

evobatman posted:

Keep in mind, watches (and luxury goods in general) are ridiculously high-margin items. An $8000 Rolex will cost less than $500 in materials, and even a gold Rolex for $40,000 will contain less than $8000 of actual gold.

All the big names are pretty much gathered up in two giant corporations: The Swatch group and Louis Vuittons mothership. That way, they have no infrastructure cost for HR, IT, headquarters etc, and can focus on branding and marketing.

"Swiss made" means something like 51% of the cost value of the watch must come from Switzerland, so they can outsource manufacturing to elsewhere, while having a little hut with their logo on and a single digit of actual watchmakers doing custom projects for high-profile clients actually in Switzerland.

Fashion watches such as Michael Kors, Diesel, Armani or watches by any clothing or car brand are manufactured in America by Fossil, which makes decent but boring watches.

Rolex is independent, but they are technically a charity(!), so they don't pay taxes. Microbrands come and go on Kickstarter and watch forums. Brands like Richard Mille or MB&F sell watches that cost $5,000,000 but of course doesn't cost that to make, so they only need to sell to a few Russian billionaires each year.

Basically, the luxury watch market is better now than it ever has been. The digital prophets keep saying over and over again how the Apple watch will kill off Rolex, Omega etc, but that just shows that they do not understand the market. It's the same reason that a 5 cent Walmart plastic bag hasn't killed off the Louis Vuitton handbag. I wear a watch every day, but when I want to see what time it is, I check my phone.

All that is super interesting, thanks.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Pope Mobile posted:

Let me tell you about planned obsolescence...

Ironically, Japanese houses are built with planned obsolesce in mind, as the homebuyers only want freshly-built homes so every house in Japan is constructed to start falling apart after 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bonzo posted:

Good cheese costs money so chains would switch of cheaper cheeses with a different moisture content to cut costs. Just like any other cheap food, the cheese is going to be mostly fillers and artificial ingredients.

That explains the time I ordered Dominos (I was high and they were the only pizza place open after 1am in my neighborhood) and I got pizza with cheese on it that existed in some sort of plasmoid state. It was neither solid nor liquid, and it wasn't melty. When you bite into a slice of pizza, the cheese should stretch, if the pizza's hot enough. When I bit into a slice of this pizza, there was no stretch whatsoever. It was as if someone sprayed my pizza with congealed white cheese-flavored oil or something. One of the more disconcerting "food" experiences I've had in recent memory.