Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The whole reason the Raas even have the chance to go all WWI on you is that you want them as an alternate colonist race, right? I hope that works out really well for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
If nothing else, they're proving how good they are at it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Well, the more damage their ground troops do, the more they prove how badly we need them. :v:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Is it worth it at this point to spend however many turns it takes to slowly grind your way through the remainig Raas and conquer what viable planets they have as opposed to just bombarding them into oblivion if there aren't any super nice planets in the area and building up the infrastructure on the captured ones so if you need it you can use them to send colonists to the other planets in hte area? Or it worth it to conquer them just so you have already built up planets in the area with some infrastructure on a dead end star lane so you don't have to worry about your flank forever and you have an area that's almost completley safe to build up in otherwise?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

wedgekree posted:

Is it worth it at this point to spend however many turns it takes to slowly grind your way through the remainig Raas and conquer what viable planets they have as opposed to just bombarding them into oblivion if there aren't any super nice planets in the area and building up the infrastructure on the captured ones so if you need it you can use them to send colonists to the other planets in hte area? Or it worth it to conquer them just so you have already built up planets in the area with some infrastructure on a dead end star lane so you don't have to worry about your flank forever and you have an area that's almost completley safe to build up in otherwise?

At this point it's still slower to bomb a planet for long enough the other empire loses control. Or I would need to min-max streams of colony ships to arrive just when an enemy colony goes out, which coincidentally would be as much work as the logistics needed to raise and send armies.

Besides, for future wars we need ground troops and transports anyway, so using them to plough through the Raas isn't even wasting resources. Plus, every time an invasion actually works out like planned, we get an army of experienced veterans out of the deal. Silicoids by the way are so bad at war this is the only feasible way to even get highly experienced troops.

That said, when we finally hit weapon-tiers high enough to burn every planet down to the ground, I'll only occupy targets I think are important. Because gently caress spending hundreds of turns liberating every single planet in the game. That way lies madness.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Havign gone that way when MoO3 first came out, i can totally sympathize. I didn't even realize your armies could -get- veteran as I played the game (this was when there was the weird bug in the game that was never patched where your armies couldn't get experience past a level, so you were weirdly limited in how big invasions could be). Much as I loved the series, the third game had -weird- implementation things with the UI...

Still, nice that invasions are actually useful and generally a viable strategy in the game!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

wedgekree posted:

Havign gone that way when MoO3 first came out, i can totally sympathize. I didn't even realize your armies could -get- veteran as I played the game (this was when there was the weird bug in the game that was never patched where your armies couldn't get experience past a level, so you were weirdly limited in how big invasions could be). Much as I loved the series, the third game had -weird- implementation things with the UI...

Still, nice that invasions are actually useful and generally a viable strategy in the game!

When patched and modded, even for the AI! :v:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Heh. Yeah, I was always annoyed that you could only attack one planet in a system at a time, really when it came to landing troops. Late game made it a slog. NOt that I was ever good at the game mind. Or tended to survive to late game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: New update incoming! :frogsiren:

Just need a little time for putting links down and waiting for videos to finish rendering, but it's only a matter of minutes now!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Master of Orion III: ULTIMATE Edition

Chapter 34: Death of a Kremling

Turn 126 starts out as usual: Spies wreaking havoc. Some of our researchers “disappear” (our research gets slower) and we kill another Raas-spy. A third spy gets captured and interrogated. 2:1 for us this turn. Our new leader starts making himself felt.

Woah, lots of battles this time! Two battles are the Raas losing again, one is Cynoids complaining about our exploration efforts and one is 60 Klackon ships invading!

Is this the end for us?

Most of the battles end as expected. Except for two: The Klackons flee as soon as they see our defenders and…

Our scout meets aggressive Cynoid defenders and has to retreat. (This Cynoid-colony ship joined the battle for some reason.)

The defenders don’t give us time for that, though: One single salvo later and our scout blows up.

Welp, three out of four isn’t that bad, I guess.

The Raas finally stop running and fight: Our offensive stops, too. The ruins of Deanton I are churned up some more to no effect.

Turn 127 tells us about us recolonizing dead Deanton III and how our scientists and engineers made a better version of our fusion engines. Future ships will be potentially faster. Also our campaign on Deanton I stalemated this turn. gently caress.

At least I can soon stop caring about Deanton I. The few survivors and the dying army clinging to it are literally the last Dilan presence left in the system.

It took obnoxiously long, but 3 out of 4 planets are now in our hands. Time to think about carving out the rest of the Dila Empire.

Our other front is still a mess. Luckily not for us! Somehow the Klackon Kommand still hasn’t noticed the large fleet defending Cokanuk and keeps sending in transport ships without support. As long as it stays this way, I’ll be able to eat the Raas colonies one at a time without needing to worry about my back.

Our fleet reserves continue to grow. But vexingly, most of my planned formations are missing a vital ship here and there. I decide to wait a couple turns more to fill in the holes. In an emergency I could just vomit them out onto the battlefield, of course.

The small scout I designed gets a design-upgrade. Soon however I’ll be forced to retire this design, too: More and more little AI-controlled colonies creep by my attention and as young, weak colonies they tend to spam small ships like this one in insane numbers. Making small designs obsolete as soon as you have enough of them in your reserve is the only sane way to stop your empire from building them.

Don’t even try to control all of your colonies manually. That is, while theoretically possible, a tedious and unfun way to play this game.

Just in case the Raas start winning again, I preemptively replace my losses with another corps. This time it’s a corps of mostly assault troops. Weaker than our mobile infantry, but capable of air dropping on enemies.

Using this capability is one of the more annoying things in the game: Options relevant mostly only show up if you have units capable of being paratroopers in your armies. But even if you choose an option making use of that capability, only units with that ability will try to do this. I have no idea how that actually works out in numbers.

As soon as we get the highest tier ground unit we can immediately stop fretting about this, however: The highest tier unit can be used for air drops, so our future armies won’t be mixed to the same degree as our contemporary ones are. With the exception of support units and some random left-overs, all of our future armies will be capable of just dropping on enemy positions.

I still have no idea how that works out in actual battle, though. :shrug:

Oh gently caress, one of our scouts has found Orion! This is bad!

The official fleet of the Orion Council spawns too close to our scout. The scout is blasted apart by the New Orions in one shot.

Cokanuk plays out the same again: The Klackon transports see us, we launch fighters, they jump out just as our fighters come in range.

Another corps joins the fighting on Deanton I. The defenders are now even weaker by comparison. Victory is assured! I think. I hope.

Guess before clicking.

:sigh: Or not. Even though we outnumber them 2:1, the Raas throw our armies back. We have to retreat a region. The second liberation of Deanton I is in trouble.

On our western front all is well. The Klackons have build up 168 ships, but they still have to assault two Psilon planets to secure Tali. Considering half of those ships are probably transports, I’m not really scared.

Still, better to keep looking here. We don’t want to get a nasty insectogram surprising us, after all.

A couple turns ago I decided waiting on the last defenders of Deanton I to finally die was stupid and sent out another army to deal with Nilus. Next turn this army arrives!

I’m kind of hoping this will go over better than our efforts on the Raas-capital.

Both assaults finish without trouble and I can unload our troops in Nilus without accidentally letting their transports blow up or something.

Battle time! Our army on Nilus is nearly 4:1 superior, which hopefully translates into a fast, crushing victory. Our prospects on Deanton I are suspect, as always.

Last turn the defenders massacred 20 units, nearly an entire army, without losing more than a couple unlucky bastards. No wonder we lost a region, the Raas basically killed everyone in that region and moved in.

Twice the battle, twice the fun.

But finally the defenders have run out of luck: We advance again and nearly annihilate the Raas-army.

On Nilus I, I can’t resist trying to encircle the vastly inferior defenders. But again it doesn’t work out. At least this time the gap between our forces is large enough the Raas fail to massacre our landing formations. They retreat from our landing zone and leave us unopposed.

Turn 129 finally gives us good news concerning our ongoing ground battles: The defense on Deanton I starts to crumble and our troops gain 2 regions at once, while on Nilus I the defenders are unable to prevent us from landing.

It may already be too late, though: The population of Nilus I has fallen below the 1000-threshold and the Dila Empire will soon lose control. Which will annihilate both our armies.

Our troops only hope is to liberate Nilus I fast enough to allow us to send more people via the migration-mechanic before time runs out.

No comment.

The correct strategy if you’re outmatched like this is biding your time until you can field a fleet large enough to threaten the opposition. The AI luckily never learns this.

In raw strength, the enemy troop strengths is pitiful. The numbers don’t tell us the Raas fight like enraged dinosaurs, though.

Raas lose, but not enough.

The fighting on Deanton I draws to a close: Hopefully the Raas won’t pull another reversal out of their rear end.

On Nilus I, our reserve army slowly marches on, the defenders crumpling before them. Still, only one region gets secured before the fighting ends for this turn.

Frustrated by their defeat on the battlefield, the Raas murder some of our researchers. At least it’s only one spy event this turn.

I really don’t want to risk defeat so far into the ground campaign, so I throw another corps of mostly mobile infantry into the meat grinder.

Our superiority in numbers is ridiculous: More than 5:1 on Nilus I and nearly 4:1 on Deanton I.

Time to end this.

loving finally. Our last push breaks through what is left of the Raas’ defensive line and in the ensuing confusion some Raas get even captured alive. The last hundred defenders retreat to a lone cave under some blasted buildings, but wisely decide to capitulate when the surrounding Silicoid-forces suggest cleaning the cave with nukes.

Deanton I is liberated

On Nilus I, the ground offensive continues: The defenders tried to lure the advancing royal troops into a trap, but only the first wave gets caught. When a second wave unexpectedly arrives, the battle goes awry. The militia abandons the line and what is left of the regular infantry has to follow to avoid a total defeat. Two regions are lost to the Kingdom.

I’m making this all up, by the way. Well, the part where we win isn’t made up.

The Deanton-system has fallen. Even the old capital, now a ruined husk of its former beauty, has been liberated. Next turn I can move my old defensive squadrons forward and the entire rest of the Dila Empire lies open to us.

Next: Onward, brave Rocks!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I look forward to seeing non rock troops in action. You probably do as well.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Wow, I actually expected Deanton I to keep clinging on just because it'd be the most absurd outcome.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Its fitting that we're playing as sentient rocks because it seems like this game moves at a geological pace~

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Congratulations! If you want to be truly thematic, try and figure out how many soldiers you lost over the decades long invasion and the several armies lost in the attack on the planet! Congratulations on finally breaking your way through the seige lines. Good luck and otherwise don't let the planet fall to an uprising!

SOLarian
Oct 29, 2012
Pillbug
I forgot, is there any explanation ingame what all the different battle strategies are doing? Or are they all just fancy names for "pray to the RNG"?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SOLarian posted:

I forgot, is there any explanation ingame what all the different battle strategies are doing? Or are they all just fancy names for "pray to the RNG"?

If there is, I never found one. Not even the fan guides in my translated version of the Encyclopedia Galactica have any guides dealing with them. As far as I can tell, there are just off-hand remarks sprinkled in everywhere, like "Assault troops can do air drops". You then have to guess for yourself what this actually does.

They certainly have an influence, since numbers alone aren't always deciding the battle: We had battles where both we and the Raas hold on against vastly superior forces, which I can only explain by a good battle tactics match-up.

Even though we never see what the enemy chooses, sometimes I can make educated guesses, like in the case of a fake retreat: Quite obviously if nothing happens and the battle stalemates, both sides chose some kind of passive option like retreat. If we lose regions, the enemy advances. If we lose regions and take losses, the enemy used something to neutralize our fake retreat. We have no idea what actually happens, though! It's all guessing in the dark. :shepface:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Plus, if you don't know what the enemy's choice is ahead of time, it's basically just Rock-Paper-Scissors anyway. I.e. a totally random exercise unless there are other modifiers(like some tactics are best with mobile infantry, so if the enemy has a lot of mobile infantry, you can guess they MIGHT use those, and you should use countering ones).

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
So let me get this straight: you mean there's a needlessly complex and poorly explained mechanic in this game?

Seriously, though, this has to be up there in how not to implement ground combat in a 4X game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gatac posted:

So let me get this straight: you mean there's a needlessly complex and poorly explained mechanic in this game?

Seriously, though, this has to be up there in how not to implement ground combat in a 4X game.

To be fair, this system would work very well if there was useful feedback on what the enemy was doing or planning to do, instead of this blindly grasping in the dark.

Also the unpatched, unmodded version was a lot worse: The differences between races were bugged for example and every race was essentially the same. I think without the patch even the special abilities of the races (like Trilarians having super-high extra evasion or the Silicoids being super-duper armored) didn't work like they should.

This by the way, made most of the NPC-races useless as troops. Sure, some like the Darloks had other gimmicks besides fighting well, but having the best soldiers of the Orion Sector (Gargantuans) crippled to being just the same as everyone stung a lot.

Edit:

If we ever get a planet filled with Gargantuans I will spread them as far as I can. Giant industrial production and giant super-soldiers? Hell yes please

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 12, 2016

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The original game wasn't particularly cognizant either when it came to updating things. Like if you're doing na invasion on a water planet so you bother enough to make all your troopers aquatic based species and then find that you're attacking a.. Completely desert planet. At least from the old website/manual for the original game tactics were supposed to give a gneeral bonus depending on what troops you were using/what troops the enemy were using.

Also, the battle conditions were only displayed after the invasion was done (find out the planet is completely desert? Do so only when you've completely conquered it or been wiped out). Figuring out just what exactly wroked underneath the hood when it came to mechanics was.. More impossible in general with MoO 3. So combat was either insane stalemate as you threw armies into the meatgrinder for decades or you stomp all over everyone and conquer it in one turn.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
I'm just completely lost on how anyone would blow that much time and effort on designing a ground combat system with so many variables and then not bother explaining any of it to the player. There's ambitious and then there's hot garbage, you know?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The idea of ground combat sounds interesting. Like, showing up with a tiny fleet and a giant wave of troop transports is an alternative to building a crazy supercarrier, or whatever.

Just, the implementation...

I mean, unless, being silicate intelligences with like no limbs, we were crucially disadvantaged when it came to actual combat power.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Glazius posted:

The idea of ground combat sounds interesting. Like, showing up with a tiny fleet and a giant wave of troop transports is an alternative to building a crazy supercarrier, or whatever.

Just, the implementation...

I mean, unless, being silicate intelligences with like no limbs, we were crucially disadvantaged when it came to actual combat power.

Silicoids are depressingly bad at ground combat. They have a lot of trouble, well, moving.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

wiegieman posted:

Silicoids are depressingly bad at ground combat. They have a lot of trouble, well, moving.

We won some battles basically only because we had an ancient super-computer for a while, who gave us an obscene bonus to ground combat. As soon as he dropped dead, we were in even more trouble. :shepface:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Can you train dino troops now that you've conquered a Raas planet? Or is there a lot more assimilation / infrastructure work to do before that's possible?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

Can you train dino troops now that you've conquered a Raas planet? Or is there a lot more assimilation / infrastructure work to do before that's possible?

Nope, even if your new population hates you, new troops don't give a gently caress and are 100% loyal. (If you look closely at the screenshots, we actually already used some Raas assault-troops in our liberation of Deanton I.)

The only way a hostile new colony can prevent you from just spamming an endless stream of soldiers is by being hostile enough to stop industrial production. But as long as the people on your new planets aren't on strike or openly rebelling, they're all yours.

This is because mechanically, troops work like ships, just with fixed designs and on the ground: Industrial production and money gets turned into new units if you queue them up. The only connection a unit has to the population of a planet is a simple one: Your troops will generally be whatever the majority of the population on a planet is. And that's it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ah, ok. So I assume that as soon as you get your production rates stabilized you're going to be replacing your army with dinosaurs as hard as you can? Or will the game's awful AI governors just continue to pump out endless useless troops who are literally rocks?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

Ah, ok. So I assume that as soon as you get your production rates stabilized you're going to be replacing your army with dinosaurs as hard as you can? Or will the game's awful AI governors just continue to pump out endless useless troops who are literally rocks?

And every cheap ship design I haven't obsoleted. Luckily they'll also build every defensive installation available, since those are also cheap. And to be fair, you can always use more troops in this game, even lovely ones. I'm still secretly hoping I can find some Gargantuans though. The Raas are a good choice until we find something better, though.

(The next time I'll take a good look at our colonies to see how many different species we actually are right now: Migration and a minor race here and there can radically alter your population without you noticing.)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Since there's no other thread I know where moo2 can be discussed, might as well ask here:

Does anyone think feudal government is vastly underpriced? Like, I'd much rather use feudal than dictatorship in moo2. Low science output can be worked around, but having ships only cost 2/3 of their normal production cost is huuuuuuuge (in fact, for shipbuilding, feudal is better than unification - the extra production they get runs into pollution problems, and your ships are straight up cheaper to buy), AND you get 4 extra points to spend on something else. And the advanced government form is loving amazing, with ships being 1/3 of their normal price

My favorite race for dealing with max difficulty no-diplomacy runs (the AI is waaaaay too easy to game) are feudal lithovore underground warlords (with the -6 points repulsive trait) - I usually use the Sakkra for this since it's basically a slight modification of their traits. The biggest flaw of the build is that you're utterly hosed if you get a particularly lovely starting system, since it heavily relies on having a very early population factory world that focuses on housing, and possibly an extra planet that can receive that population. Your planets are a bitch and a half to take due to the bajillion infantry on them (you'll have military bases on all of them since pre-colonization outposts are really cheap for you to get), you WILL have a hilariously huge population that is entirely focused on useful stuff instead of bothering with food (and each pop unit brings in extra cash), the science penalty doesn't affect science from structures and you're going to have a bunch of planets to build them on anyway, and you can just spam out cheap ships and not really have to worry about command points.

e: No, I'm not saying it's better than Unitol, the lord and master of all moo2 cheese, but it's a really good combo

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 17, 2016

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

my dad posted:

Since there's no other thread I know where moo2 can be discussed, might as well ask here:

Does anyone think feudal government is vastly underpriced? Like, I'd much rather use feudal than dictatorship in moo2. Low science output can be worked around, but having ships only cost 2/3 of their normal production cost is huuuuuuuge (in fact, for shipbuilding, feudal is better than unification - the extra production they get runs into pollution problems, and your ships are straight up cheaper to buy), AND you get 4 extra points to spend on something else. And the advanced government form is loving amazing, with ships being 1/3 of their normal price

My favorite race for dealing with max difficulty no-diplomacy runs (the AI is waaaaay too easy to game) are feudal lithovore underground warlords (with the -6 points repulsive trait) - I usually use the Sakkra for this since it's basically a slight modification of their traits. The biggest flaw of the build is that you're utterly hosed if you get a particularly lovely starting system, since it heavily relies on having a very early population factory world that focuses on housing, and possibly an extra planet that can receive that population. Your planets are a bitch and a half to take due to the bajillion infantry on them (you'll have military bases on all of them since pre-colonization outposts are really cheap for you to get), you WILL have a hilariously huge population that is entirely focused on useful stuff instead of bothering with food (and each pop unit brings in extra cash), the science penalty doesn't affect science from structures and you're going to have a bunch of planets to build them on anyway, and you can just spam out cheap ships and not really have to worry about command points.

e: No, I'm not saying it's better than Unitol, the lord and master of all moo2 cheese, but it's a really good combo

I'll give it a shot.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

my dad posted:

I haven't heard of Unitol, would you please elaborate?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SugarAddict posted:

Unification(6 points) + tolerant(10 points) (conveniently priced for the -6 from repulsive, which you certainly are for using this build :v: ).

Unification - you get +50% food and +50% production, and a defensive spy boost, for the tradeoff of not getting any benefits from morale and really, really, really slow assimilation until you get the alien management center,
Tolerant - higher population cap, especially on lovely planets, and you do not produce any pollution whatsoever (hidden benefit beyond the obvious one: you do not have to make hard choices with techs that involve pollution buildings)

Right from the get-go, you need to use less population to produce food, can switch from 100% science to 100% industry production at will without issues with pollution-induced diminishing returns, and can easily increase your population count sky high. Depending on the tech level you start at, you can spam out colony ships at a ridiculous rate from turn 1.

Pick some harmless negative trait for +1 production, or to make your homeworld rich and large, and let the galaxy burn.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

unification government, tolerant race pick. +100% food and industry. 0 polution, ever. And treat all planets as being 'terran' the second best planet type.
it offers you a huge boost in production and population.

e:fb

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As fine as Master of Orion II is, this is still the thread of Master of Orion III.

This means

:siren: Surprise update! :siren:

Master of Orion III: ULTIMATE Edition

Chapter 35: Onward to Victory (Slowly)

New update means new tech!

Nanotech-Assembly Lines: With the power of nano technology, industrial production now eats another 20% less. Like the other tech we got earlier, this is one of the game changing ones. If you don’t get this in your playthrough, go and steal it from your enemies, trade it from your allies, do everything in your power to get this. 20% less minerals wasted is a huge boost.

We also got a new star lane between Beta Caeli and Nodus, both are our systems. I should take a look later. And our soldiers got laser rifles this turn. Laser rifles?

Apparently our portable rail guns were easier to make than portable laser cannons. Why? Well, according to the lore entry our new laser rifles use little fusion reactors to generate their laser beams and they use little deuterium tanks as fuel. I think with this kind of power they’re a step above and beyond of what we imagine when we think “laser”. Holy poo poo.

Game mechanic terms: Our new (automatically equipped) standard ground troop weapon has apparently less range, which means the bonus to initiative goes down from +13 to +8. Since our rocks are already slow as gently caress this is bad.

On the other hand, armor piercing stays at +2 and we get an attack bonus of +1, which means one additional attack per unit. This is huge, since our dumb rocks tend to miss a lot. Now they can take another shot and hopefully hit something this time!

Our new Raas soldiers will take this and laser machine gun their way through our enemies. The victory of Democracy is assured!

Time for another overview: By now we’ve explored a sizable part of the Orion Sector, which means if I zoom out enough to get everything on one screenshot, there isn’t a lot of detail left. The upper part is where the Cynoids and our allies, the Imsaies, have most of their colonies. The rest is basically us.

OK, the eastern part beyond Deanton is still technically Raas-territory, but with zero military capability now and in the future (since they send every ship they have against us as soon as it leaves the shipyard), I already count them as our planets.

The Psilons still have their surviving planets in Tali, while the Klackons are everywhere else in that part of the sector.

I’ve given up on the Psilons at this point. They’re too weak to stop the Klackon Menace and everything I give them after this point is just there for the Klackons to steal. Our allies, on the other hand, are still going strong and deserve a better economic treaty.

Some stats to let you guys see how the game is going overall: We have now 31 planets under our control and an average tech-level of 29/100. Thanks to most of our people being really slow growing rocks, our population is a modest 409. The Power Scale takes ships and troops into account. I think. It’s not mentioned anywhere what this scale actually measures, I believe. This gives us place 8 on the Arbitrary Scale of Measuring.

The Raas are a bit of a surprise: While we were bashing our heads in at Deanton, the little buggers colonized like mad and have now more planets than we have. Their average tech level is 3 levels below ours, in truth thanks to our min-maxed research they’re a lot farther behind. Their population is lower than ours, since most of their planets are rather young and new. Their power scale is four times our size for some reason, which places them on first place of the ASM.

This is why the stats collected by the game are somewhat misleading. A new player would look at this and get scared by the awesome might of the Dila Empire, we know better and just roll our eyes.

The Psilons have 9 planets left and have managed to fall behind the Klackons in technology. Ouch. They’re on place 16 of the ASM. Last place. Ouch Thank god we’re not playing as them.

The Klackons have an unbelievable 48 planets, but are so far behind in tech it’s not even funny anymore, just sad. Their population is about 50% higher than ours and twice the size of the Dila Empire, but the mighty SCALE OF POWER places them only on place 3 behind our dinosaur friends. I have no idea where the Raas got all this extra power from. :shrug:

Our allies, thanks to working with us instead of against us, are not that far behind in tech. They have about a third less planets, but thanks to being gas giant dwellers they already outpaced our population. The ASM sees them and their non-existent military just behind us.

Behold the power of the Raas: 6 ships ready to fight our… 67. Yeah, that’s not going to work out for you, my scaly friends.

Especially since I’m not crazy enough to fight for every single one of those tiny new colonies everywhere. Time for some bombardment-induced emigration to the afterlife.

Now you know where we stand, time to get back on track: Since we have Deanton I now, there is no reason to keep most of our armies here. Only the two latest and most intact corps are left here just in case, the two maimed armies and the brutalized 4th Reserve Corps are disbanded so I can re-use their units.

In five turns, when they come out of transit.

With the Deanton-system secured, I’m now ordering out two most powerful task forces to Kaff. Lots of carriers and long-range ships. The 16 ships of this new fleet will suppress whatever the Raas can send up and then bomb the poo poo out of everything I don’t want to fight over.

Of course, the vagaries of interstellar travel mean we need to keep some ships back in Deanton. The 1st and 2nd Royal Fleet are incredibly old by this point and basically only worth to keep because the Raas don’t have much to fight us with anyway. The 1st Carrier Fleet isn’t that fresh either anymore, but it has five cruiser-sized carriers. Together with the growing fleet of LACs protecting Deanton, this should be enough to blast everything until we can move the front again.

By now we have finally enough ships of my preferred types for some new and modern task forces. The 9th Royal Fleet has a core of Extinction-class heavy cruisers with long-range spinal batteries of neutron blasters. Three of the ships are even of the newer class II variant.

To add some point defense to a fleet mostly consisting of giant guns with engines, this is the time for the Topaz fast light cruisers to shine. They can easily keep up with our heavy cruisers.

The 9th Fleet gets the obligatory carrier TF added in as companion: 4 of our new Democracy-class carriers and as shining jewel there’s even a class III variant of the Democracy-line, fresh from the shipyards!

3 Liberty II point defense destroyers round up the 10th Royal Fleet. The older Liberty-ships are earmarked for troop defense until I deem them too old and slow for even that kind of “duty”. They’ll probably end up getting scrapped around turn 200 at their latest.

The two new task forces form up and jump out towards Nilus and Amoenta. This strong new fleet is necessary for that front because there are Alphecc and Daegwin, all in a line behind Amoenta and I don’t want my offensive to run out of steam in that interstellar dead end over there.

If we secure the Nilus-system, all three systems in that sub-sector are cut off from the rest of the Dila Empire.

I almost forgot: Finances! For the first time in a while we make some losses again. Presumably because the new planets we’ve liberated need some additional expenses to repair all the damage we made when freeing their people from their oppressors. Our costs for reducing unrest also jumped up. Administering liberated planets does not come cheap.

After making sure our new offensives are up and running, I went back and looked at our assembly lines. Since the weather forecast for the near future is Bombingly Awesome, I decided it was time for some more colony ships. I just got this strange feeling there may be some fresh empty planets available soon.

And after updating my queues, it’s time to end the turn. The inter-turn combat limbo doesn’t do anything new this time and I move on. A scout limps back to Juza in Klackon-territory and the Raas of the Nilus-system fail to defend themselves. That’s it.

But what is this?? Yeah, for once the Raas react reasonably to our 10:1 superiority and die in hail of gun fire. The last defenders of Nilus I are overrun and the planet is liberated.

And boy, was it time: The population is only about half what is necessary to run a colony. I immediately switch on immigration to send more people here. Hopefully we can push the population over 1000 and keep the colony without trouble.

In this case, disbanding the army kills two flies with one stroke: We get some experienced units back and we prevent the RNG from killing the army if it decides to take control away from the colony. Since Nilus I is still a freshly liberated planet, it of course needs some troops to keep order. Enter the 1st Nilus Militia, a single division of experienced infantry and some extra supplies in case of a blockade.

While mostly useless against most attacks, it will help make the Raas on the planet happy faster by reducing more unrest. Like with STL-craft like LACs patrolling a system, having at least some units on a planet helps a lot against unrest.

After the military things are done, I spend some time helping the AI decide what kind of development areas our new planets should build. Of course our newly liberated colonies need some government and recreation, especially on Nilus I since it’s the only planet in its system. No other planet available to make into a center of fun and government for the rest of the system to profit from. Nilus I also needs food, by the way.

There’s a famine on the planet (“Hungersnot”), since for at least this turn after liberation the colony is cut off from the Dila Empire, but not yet fully integrated into our own Empire’s distribution network. The Kingdom of Almandin successfully started building a single Agricultural DEA on the planet, but the planet is sterile and no amount of terraforming will make its food production look good.

Hopefully next turn the famine-problem has solved itself. I plan on occasionally looking up what’s going on here, though.

Turn 132 has more good news for us besides the liberation of Nilus I: Another Rammstein-cruiser and another modern carrier is finished. Almandin IV even has enough production left over to finish the recycling module for its orbital shipyards in the same turn. If we already had battlecruisers, we could now build them here.

There are some other, more mixed news farther down the line, however: Deanton I is still facing unrest and strikes, while Didi Hallervorden dies yet again to an enemy assassin.

Since I already did all that reorganizing of our new liberated planets last turn and two brand new offensives are kicking off, it’s time again for more ground armies. The 21st Royal Army is 100% mobile infantry without any weird leftover crap plus some additional support units like army HQs, supplies, hackers and psy-ops.

My original plan was to send this army into Amoenta one turn after the main fleet arrives to shoot everything to pieces, but fate intervenes: Turns out some of the transports I used had older, slower FTL-engines and now the 21st Royal Army will arrive roughly 3 turns after the main fleet.

Well, that’s not bad really. After three full turns I should have reduced the defenses of that system to rubble. This means even less danger for our transport ships.

Some more statistics to close this update: The Raas have colonized two more planets to the one they lost and are now up to 34 colonies. On the other hand, the power scale stopped flipping out and is back to a more normal value. A value slightly below ours, which makes a lot more sense. The Raas fall down to place 8 on the ASM, we move up to 7.

Next: More burning dinosaurs.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

my dad posted:

Unification(6 points) + tolerant(10 points) (conveniently priced for the -6 from repulsive, which you certainly are for using this build :v: ).

Unification - you get +50% food and +50% production, and a defensive spy boost, for the tradeoff of not getting any benefits from morale and really, really, really slow assimilation until you get the alien management center,
Tolerant - higher population cap, especially on lovely planets, and you do not produce any pollution whatsoever (hidden benefit beyond the obvious one: you do not have to make hard choices with techs that involve pollution buildings)

I always liked to just go Subterranean (also 6 points) + Tolerant, to just double down on +population.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ulmont posted:

I always liked to just go Subterranean (also 6 points) + Tolerant, to just double down on +population.

You really, really, really need +1 food or at the very least the cybernetic trait to make that one work without getting bogged down with food problems until you can research and build soil enrichers (a big deal if you want to get the big production or research techs early on), though, while unitol has flexibility in choosing the extra trait. The 4 'free' points actually give you a surprising amount of bonuses!

If you take warlord, you can easily leverage your industry and large number of planets to produce massive fleets.
You can crank out spies at a ridiculous rate, and if you get +10 to espionage, you can nick tech from enemies as fast as they're researching it, especially if they're a democracy, while being almost completely immune to espionage yourself.
You can simply get 1+ research to round out your build, or make your homeworld an artifact planet. Artifact world + large world is a huuuuuuge boost.
e: Oh, almost forgot fantastic trader! You can leverage both your excess food production and excess industry into huuuuuuge wads of cash since it doubles your income from this. And this is before taking trade agreement bonuses into account.

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 20, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just for people new to the thread: my dad and ulmont are talking about another game, if you're only interested in Master of Orion III, please don't be confused and just ignore them.

Talk about MO2 is OK, though! Just don't overdo it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Libluini posted:

Just for people new to the thread: my dad and ulmont are talking about another game, if you're only interested in Master of Orion III, please don't be confused and just ignore them.

Talk about MO2 is OK, though! Just don't overdo it.

We did read your update, don't worry. Just waiting for the inevitable bug war. :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

my dad posted:

We did read your update, don't worry. Just waiting for the inevitable bug war. :v:

Every turn of MOO3 is a bug war :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay for the offensive going forwards and slowly grinding the dionsaurs beneath rocky stomped heels. Do you think you've broken the back of thier fleet despite the fact they still have a lot of planets they have and so lon gas attrition is maintained you can whittle away at them or think they could still whip up a substantial reserve?