Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

code:
19.    2-9                 31 Aug 16   eps2.7_init5.fve (65 min)
you feelin ok, dude?

I'm really not. I gave up on sobriety just in time for school to start again. Great plan, me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
fsobriety

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ynohtna posted:

fsobriety

oh my loving god. Best post of the thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha great post

keep your head up Snak! bury yourself in education to keep yourself sober, or bury yourself in drugs and take all your tests high. either way you're making somebody somewhere proud. i should not become a life coach

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ynohtna posted:

fsobriety

:yeah:

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

code:
19.    2-9                 31 Aug 16   eps2.7_init5.fve (65 min)
you feelin ok, dude?

e: all is well. i am recovering from my mild heart attack

Thats a trick because there are only 30 days in August
Look at the date 31 Aug 16 = 3116
3+1+1=5 and 6 flipped over is 9
It's a reference to 5/9 in lieu of an actual episode.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

Thats a trick because there are only 30 days in August

:allears:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You should never gently caress with the understanding of which months have 30 and which have 31 days, I feel like I've lost years of my life discussing that bullshit.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

What are you talking about? I'm a few hours ahead and you can even see it's sept 1st here.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Boogaleeboo posted:

You should never gently caress with the understanding of which months have 30 and which have 31 days, I feel like I've lost years of my life discussing that bullshit.

30 days has November, April, May, and December. All the rest have 31, except January which has 28 (except in a leap year [unless it is a multiple of 100 {unless it is a multiple of 400} ] ).

The song is poo poo because other months fit. Once I was taught the knuckle trick, life became easier.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't even know which number half the months are. Like I have to count. I'm slowly filling them all in.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There are months?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I use the knuckles thing and I probably will until the day I die (if I need to figure out how many days are in a month on my last day)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

30 days has November, April, May, and December. All the rest have 31, except January which has 28 (except in a leap year [unless it is a multiple of 100 {unless it is a multiple of 400} ] ).

The song is poo poo because other months fit. Once I was taught the knuckle trick, life became easier.

this post is really ironic because you actually got one of the months wrong

e: this is why we don't post on the Internet immediately after waking up. hahah I didn't even notice the Jan/Feb that's embarrassing

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 31, 2016

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Just started the show yesterday and am already on 1x9. "Fight Club" is probably my favorite movie of all time and this show is basically "Fight Club: Nerd Edition" and I'm absolutely loving it. I about freaked when they played the pixies on piano during the ending of that episode.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

wyoak posted:

I use the knuckles thing and I probably will until the day I die (if I need to figure out how many days are in a month on my last day)
Knuckle trick 4 lyfe. :hfive:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

I don't even know which number half the months are. Like I have to count. I'm slowly filling them all in.

Explains a few things fam.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Maybe have more brainpower than a sea urchin and just remember how many days are in each month.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

JacksLibido posted:

Just started the show yesterday and am already on 1x9. "Fight Club" is probably my favorite movie of all time and this show is basically "Fight Club: Nerd Edition" and I'm absolutely loving it. I about freaked when they played the pixies on piano during the ending of that episode.

Not to spoil you too much, but Mr. Robot is Fight Club except it takes mental illness seriously and ditches all of the irony and deals with the ramifications of its plot development instead of cutting to black over a Pixies song. Also it's written well so the "reveals" and "twists" aren't just gotchas but dramatic and important moments for the characters.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Look all you need to know is that the 30/31 days thing alternates
except August dediced to be stubborn and stuck to 31 days as well, so September and November suffer for it
and February lost 2 days somewhere for some reason

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Maybe have more brainpower than a sea urchin and just remember how many days are in each month.

For real, doesn't everyone memorise this when they're like six years old?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zurui posted:

Not to spoil you too much, but Mr. Robot is Fight Club except it takes mental illness seriously and ditches all of the irony and deals with the ramifications of its plot development instead of cutting to black over a Pixies song. Also it's written well so the "reveals" and "twists" aren't just gotchas but dramatic and important moments for the characters.

This

Also, the Fight Club book had a whole class warfare theme going, which was almost completely cut from the movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

waitwhatno posted:

This

Also, the Fight Club book had a whole class warfare theme going, which was almost completely cut from the movie.

What movie did you watch?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don't know what it is about TV and movies but I seem to be able to prevent myself from trying to guess the plot twists.

The prison reveal, for example, it would have blown my mind if I hadn't seen the asylum theories in this thread, even after I dismissed them as silly.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snak posted:

What movie did you watch?

Nah, it's much more explicit in the book. Like, one time they get hired to cater for a whodunit murder LARP party of some rich people and they exchange the blanks in the prop murder gun with live ammunition and let the rich people kill themselves. All that time the book goes on about how disgusting and decadent the rich are while people slave away at McD for poo poo wages that they can't feed their kids with.

The book is basically about how we really need to reform this entire bullshit system and the Tyler movement had legitimately good points and ideas, but as always, it turned into a decadent, self-indulgent and disgusting cult. And that's why we can never have nice things.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess I just still thought that's what the movie is about. Of course a book is going to have more examples, it's longer and has more content.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snak posted:

I guess I just still thought that's what the movie is about. Of course a book is going to have more examples, it's longer and has more content.

I dunno, I remember the movie going more into the direction of society being hosed up(consumerism, gender roles, corporate culture, family structures, etc.)

The book is more explicitly saying to eat the rich and burn their houses. But yeah, that's just my impression.

Interestingly, Mr. Robot seems to have dropped the machismo and family structure angle completely.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The book drives home the ironic symbolism when the final plan to blow up the buildings fails because the explosives are poorly made. It's telegraphed through the entire book that none of Project Mayhem's antics will actually change anything.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zurui posted:

The book drives home the ironic symbolism when the final plan to blow up the buildings fails because the explosives are poorly made. It's telegraphed through the entire book that none of Project Mayhem's antics will actually change anything.
Why would that be ironic? Are they Chinese or something?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When I read Fight Club after watching the movie, my impression was that it had been a complete waste of time because the movie was such a faithful adaptation that I didn't feel I really gained anything by reading it at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm so confused about whether or not Fight Club the movie is actually meant to be satirical about masculinity and "gently caress the system maaaan" and stuff. I had assumed it was for years until I actually rewatched it recently and all the "all-singing all- dancing crap of the world" type of poo poo seems to be played legitimately earnestly. Plus why would Fincher disavow it so much if he viewed it as a satire all along?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Escobarbarian posted:

For real, doesn't everyone memorise this when they're like six years old?

No. It's something I use so seldom that it never sticks, and now pretty much everyone has pocket calendars. My watch, which clocks past 31 days every month, doesn't even require me to know, I just check at the start of each month against the calendar day and adjust if needed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm so confused about whether or not Fight Club the movie is actually meant to be satirical about masculinity and "gently caress the system maaaan" and stuff. I had assumed it was for years until I actually rewatched it recently and all the "all-singing all- dancing crap of the world" type of poo poo seems to be played legitimately earnestly. Plus why would Fincher disavow it so much if he viewed it as a satire all along?

Well, even when you are the creator of a work of satire, you don't necisarrily end up agreeing that it's satirical. Like, attempting satire and feeling like it failed can leave a pretty sour taste. However, just because satire fails for one person, doesn't mean that it fails for everyone, or that it isn't satire. It's also possible for a person to make something in earnest and have it be easy to interpret as satire.

waitwhatno posted:

I dunno, I remember the movie going more into the direction of society being hosed up(consumerism, gender roles, corporate culture, family structures, etc.)

The book is more explicitly saying to eat the rich and burn their houses. But yeah, that's just my impression.

Interestingly, Mr. Robot seems to have dropped the machismo and family structure angle completely.

Okay. I'm not really trying to argue with you. I think I agree with what you're saying. Also I haven't read the book. I just wanted to say that the reason it feels like a strange criticism/opinion to me is because of how different books and movies are, as far as how they use time/content. In some ways, a movie is a much more limited format than a book. A movie is necessarily going to have to spend a certain amount of time establishing overt contexts, such as setting, characters etc. A book does this too, but a book is much longer, and often will have characters and settings full established in the first act, with the later acts to simple explore the ideas and implications of them. Movies usually work a bit differently, where characters are often still being defined through the entire movie, and themes and ideas have to be explored in parallel with the establishment of context by necessity. Books can of course do this as well, but in a movie, it's practically required. But movies are also less limited than books in some ways. Since movies are visual and contain non-verbal audio, thematic context can be conveyed much more densely.

I'm not saying that books don't use these same or similar techniques of layering. My point is that many, many really great films don't textually explore their major themes in the way you are describing as a difference between the book and the movie. So I guess this was a really long way of saying that making the major theme of the book more subtextual in the movie is just part of adapting a book to the screen, in my opinion.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DaveKap posted:

Knuckle trick 4 lyfe. :hfive:

poo poo yeah, nothing like going knuckle deep on some calendar.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Snak posted:

It's also possible for a person to make something in earnest and have it be easy to interpret as satire.

I think this is especially true with pieces of "political" fiction that attempt to present their revolutionary heroes as human and flawed. There is always the possibility to read the character's various missteps and human failures as part and parcel of their ideologies, especially when the character's are young and naive and prone to hyperbolic and bellicose rhetoric.

Barring the show unrealistically ending in the creation of a post-capitalist utopia I guess one perverse and bias reading would be a satire about a bunch of young, mentally deranged hackers spouting out simplistic anticap memes and having it blow up in their faces while causing pain for the poor and killing folk's like Saint Gideon who as a gay dude and sympathetic employee of troubled youth could be seen as some sort of beacon pointing toward a gradual shift toward an ethical capitalism- a shift that is ironically cut short by impatient F-society. (PS: I don't actually think this reading really works under scrutiny, especially since 5/9 couldn't have been achieved without the help of The Dark Army and its elite member of the .1% leader, but nonetheless F-Society, especially the siblings, could still remain satires of jaded millennials if we look at them from one angle)

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I don't see Fight Club as a satire. I think it accurately portrayed the mentality of generation X in a pre-911 world.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Are you going to break up with me, Suits?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Elliott went to jail for grand theft dog? That's hilarious.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Paul reiser is phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kwyndig posted:

Elliott went to jail for grand theft dog? That's hilarious.

Did he take the dog for that reason?

• Locked thread