Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am fat and old and I have found that just walking with a pack whenever you can is the best training. I am fortunate enough to be able to hike year round and have started brining a larger/heaver pack then needed to get myself used to the weight whenever I do a little 5-10 mile day hike. In addition to being a good workout, it makes you more familiar with your gear and will show you problems that are better fixed when you are not 3 days into the woods.

My goal this summer was to get more comfortable crossing tree-bridges over streams. I hate back tracking but also (I assume) hate falling into rivers, so I really need to up my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

My current obsession is finding the perfect cold weather rain pants. I am looking hard at fishing bibs, but I am not sure how they will be for all day wear. The other idea is Kokodat kayaking pants, which would eliminate he need to worry about wet feet, but sense they are designed to be sat in all day I don't know how they will be to move in.
What about golf rain pants? A lot of golfers wear them as an additional layer when it's chilly and they're designed to be moved in

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yes, hiking is just walking a lot. Best way to prepare is by walking a lot. Doing so with a pack or up inclines will be even more helpful.

If you have health issues with things like knees, etc, then work on taking care of those via physical therapy, strengthening, etc.

The tip to doing any kind of successful cardio is to hate yourself enough to push it until you feel like you're going to die
(ok not really but it is more beneficial to push yourself when doing cardio like running, cycling, and not just be like "oh that was easy, didn't even break a sweat, good workout!")

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I definitely have that part nailed, at least. I really love pushing past the "OH GOD THIS IS A HORRIBLE IDEA WHY AM I DOING THIS" phase, because it's kind of a cool buzz.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

What about golf rain pants? A lot of golfers wear them as an additional layer when it's chilly and they're designed to be moved in

Thank! I have never golfed and just assumed they went back to the clubhouse to drink when it rains. I was drawn to fishing bibs due to them having pockets, piss-zips, and generally having a rugged face fabric. I am still obsessed with the idea of winter hiking in chest waders for total foot dryness, but wader boots tend to weigh a ton and would be awful to walk and scramble in.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Tsyni posted:

Just on wikipedia, no idea if it's exhaustive, but it seems close maybe based on other articles I read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

Weird, the only post-1800s fatal black/brown bear attacks in California involved the zoo or a trainer.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I didn't see this posted but Moosejaw are having a sale at the moment with 20 - 40% off.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hey! I'm (hopefully) going to be thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail with my girlfriend next year. The last few books I've read on it recommended hammocks over tents, however my girlfriend doesn't want to sleep alone in a hammock in the wilderness.

I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uv22G9aACA and it's got great reviews, but a) it's expensive as balls, b) it's heavy and c) it might be hard to find the perfect triangle of trees and set it up every day. Also, I have no experience with hammocks.

Is it possible to buy two single hammocks and sling them up right next to each other under a tarp? A tent would be easier because it seems there's SO MUCH to know about hanging hammocks (whoopie slings? fancy knots? WHAT) but I've really been sold the idea of a hammock due to weight, quick to set up and being super comfortable. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'd get a roomy tent with enough porch space for cooking and stuff. And a tent which can be raised fly first if you get a double walled one. During lovely weather tents are just so much nicer (and probably lighter too), hammocks feel more like gimmicks.

Also you can setup many regular tents in 2 mins or so when you find a good place and remove debris from ground.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Any Aussies got any advice for day hikes that can be done near Melbourne? Something nice, with a bit of challenge but nothing too nutso. Maybe something that is a return walk, so we don't have to try and organise two cars to get back?

I used to do a bit of hiking as a kid, and have been keen to get back into it lately.

Ruptured Yakety Sax fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 30, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

hammoc's might be more comfy but from what I've heard of a lot of peoples experiences, you do a lot of sleeping in the shelters along the way too (except they can be crowded especially early on)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I cannot even imagine going back to a tent after getting used to my hammock. It is so nice I have found myself wishing for it when stuck in lovely hotels. If she is worried about security maybe run a line from your hammock to her's, so if one of you gets up the other gets woken up?

All the knot/sling poo poo is super simple and there are a ton of great youtube videos that make it really clear.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

bongwizzard posted:

I cannot even imagine going back to a tent after getting used to my hammock. It is so nice I have found myself wishing for it when stuck in lovely hotels.

I've read a bunch of comments like this heaping praise on hammocks, but it seems like it would only be comfortable if you're a back sleeper. I'm a stomach sleeper, and can't imagine a hammock would work for me. Is it possible to comfortably sleep on your stomach in a hammock?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

EPICAC posted:

I've read a bunch of comments like this heaping praise on hammocks, but it seems like it would only be comfortable if you're a back sleeper. I'm a stomach sleeper, and can't imagine a hammock would work for me. Is it possible to comfortably sleep on your stomach in a hammock?

As a stomach/side sleeper myself, I can tell you it is not only possible, but very straightforward once you get the hang dialed in. Good hammocks aren't even really meant to be slept in in the way you might envision. A diagonal lay is much more comfortable than the "banana" method.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

EPICAC posted:

I sleep in a fetal ball on my side and while that is not ideal, it still works out more comfortably then having all my weight on my hips sleeping on a pad. Stomach is doable, but can feel a bit claustrophobic unless you really get the "diagonal sleeping" bit down.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Can you have sex in a hammock?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Not exactly stable footing, but with perseverance and dedication, I reckon so.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

As a stomach/side sleeper myself, I can tell you it is not only possible, but very straightforward once you get the hang dialed in. Good hammocks aren't even really meant to be slept in in the way you might envision. A diagonal lay is much more comfortable than the "banana" method.

Very true. If you get the hang right (30 degrees baby) any basic hammock can be comfortable as hell. And you can always go with the fancy stuff (Amok Draumr etc) if you are a super picky sleeper.

As for bad weather and such, I'd take a hammock over a tent any day. Just learn to set up your tarp right and you are safe and comfortable in the worst rain while the tent dweller might be fighting the water. Insulation requires some rethinking for hammocking but once you figure it out you'll be enjoying life.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Tsyni posted:

Can you have sex in a hammock?

The key is to make the swinging work for you, not against you.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have never bothered to fuss around with the hanging angle, I just hang it is close to parallel to the ground as I can and let my chubbiness sag it down to comfort.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Very true. If you get the hang right (30 degrees baby) any basic hammock can be comfortable as hell. And you can always go with the fancy stuff (Amok Draumr etc) if you are a super picky sleeper.

As for bad weather and such, I'd take a hammock over a tent any day. Just learn to set up your tarp right and you are safe and comfortable in the worst rain while the tent dweller might be fighting the water. Insulation requires some rethinking for hammocking but once you figure it out you'll be enjoying life.

Any tips on that insulation? Contemplating doing this sometime soon, but dunno if the weather will be cool or warm. I was thinking of using my sleeping bag + a blanket.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The issue is that you've got all that cold air under you and sleeping on your bag compresses the insulation so it doesn't insulate as well. You have to use a pad to help with that, assuming you can get it to fit in right, or use an underquilt for the cold nights

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Glad we got some sweet hammock chat going! A lot of you are echoing what I've read, which is that when you switch to hammocks tents are for suckers. I'm sure the knots and stuff are easy once you've done it a few times, and I love the fact that you can put them in one of those snake bags and set up in about 2 minutes when you know what you're doing.

We've all been in a tent and slept on the hard ground and your hip or lower back is just dying the next day, and I really don't want to lug an inflatable pad around as well. For warmth in a hammock you need a sleeping bag + pad (http://hennessyhammock.com/products/radiant-double-bubble-pad) right?

Again the only issue is my girlfriend. I'm assuming, with a big enough tarp, we can set up next to each other or close enough and hang the tarp over us?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Three years ago today we summited Mount Whitney and finished the John Muir Trail. :sigh:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I remember reading a hiking article ages ago about a mouth operated horn, but I can't seem to find precisely what was described which was something that produced a very low tone like a fog horn basically. Closest I've found is this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0019...oYVL&ref=plSrch

Anyone have any suggestions?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone here tell me about their experience with the caldera cone? The pump on my whisperlite isn't working and I'm using that as an excuse to buy a new stove, and I have a bunch of home made alcohol stoves so..

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Glad we got some sweet hammock chat going! A lot of you are echoing what I've read, which is that when you switch to hammocks tents are for suckers. I'm sure the knots and stuff are easy once you've done it a few times, and I love the fact that you can put them in one of those snake bags and set up in about 2 minutes when you know what you're doing.

We've all been in a tent and slept on the hard ground and your hip or lower back is just dying the next day, and I really don't want to lug an inflatable pad around as well. For warmth in a hammock you need a sleeping bag + pad (http://hennessyhammock.com/products/radiant-double-bubble-pad) right?

Again the only issue is my girlfriend. I'm assuming, with a big enough tarp, we can set up next to each other or close enough and hang the tarp over us?

Yes, you need a sleeping pad in a hammock, just like for a tent. A foam pad is very light, warm for its weight, and easy to attach to the outside of any pack. They're also durable as all hell. High end inflatables are light, warm, and pack down very small.

It's going to be difficult for you to find the right set of trees to hang two hammocks next to each other with a single tarp covering both. It's very unlikely you'll encounter trees in that configuration at every stop along the AT.

A two person tent is going to be less hassle over the course of the hike.

Your girlfriend sounds like she is not ready to spend months living on the trail.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I have tree-worries with just a single hammock and dread the day I end up sleeping in the worlds worst bivy sack.

I am still seeking the perfect fall/winter bag, I left my hammock up for a few weeks last winter and tried different combos of bags+pads and I have something that "works" down to the mid 30's but the bag is a cheap one so it weighs like 4-5 pounds. I have a good pad but I mocked up an under quilt and it is clearly the better option, but so much more expensive and heavy/bulky.

I have given up on spring/summer camping, sleeping in the heat sucks and there is too much other cool stuff to do with my time. Fall/winter is perfect, hike all day, build a nice fire, drink tea w/ brandy in it for a few hours, then snuggle up and pass out.

Related to the tea w/ brandy, have any of you hammock folks resorted to a piss-jug? I see how it would be amazing to not have to clamber out three times a night, but I fear any spillage would be so so awful.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Nope.

Just go piss outside. I know we're all goons here but we have to draw the line somewhere.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

You can stack 2 hammocks on top of each other, it's tricky, but it works. The best option is to find 3 trees, tie both hammocks to the same tree on one side, then split them on the other.

Don't worry about whoopie slings or anything unless you are really trying to shave weight. The ENO Atlas straps couldn't possibly be easier to use. Make sure to get the Atlas straps since they are nylon and won't stretch in the middle of the night.

The 30 degree hang and sleeping at an angle is crucial. You can sleep on your side or stomach once you get it down. You can also add a fixed Ridgeline to your hammock to force a consistent angle and make it less dependant on strap positioning and easier to set up.

I toss and turn all night in a bed and switch sides constantly, but something about a hammock keeps me comfy on my back all night.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to properly pitch my tarp. The tarp is longer than the hammock and the straps always interfere.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have a Hennessy and I guess it has a ridgeline, but I really haven't found much comfort difference in just pulling it as tight as I can with one hand and letting my weight sag it.

I did switch my tarp to it's own rigging so I can set it up independent of the hammock. I made some super long light weight slings and it's great to be able to either set the tarp first if its raining or rig it after the fact and be able to adjust it a ton for wind/space reasons. I am still using the stock tarp but I want to upgrade to a cuban fiber one so I can get more coverage at the same weight.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pissing in a bottle means you dont' get to get out and look at the stars

Also a sign of weakness

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

The only issue I have with my hammock is the sides squeezing my shoulders a little bit when on my back. It can be a little uncomfortable and have not quite figured out how to alleviate that strain without sagging low and putting my fat rear end on the ground.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Eh, I live rurally enough that stars arn't exciting. I just hate how hammocks instantly loose all heat the second you get out, and my hiking water/tea intake insures I am up like 2-3 times per night at the very least.

Plus, I already own a piss jug for my kayak, so that bridge has been crossed. But then I can just immediately dump it and not cuddle with my piss all night.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Crazyeyes posted:

The only issue I have with my hammock is the sides squeezing my shoulders a little bit when on my back. It can be a little uncomfortable and have not quite figured out how to alleviate that strain without sagging low and putting my fat rear end on the ground.
This is what the 30 degree sag is for. Then you sleep diagonal in the hammock and it flattens out the curve.

If you are touching the ground hang it higher or get straps that don't stretch.

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/

eSporks fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 31, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Piss bottle keeps you warm.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
the two friends i know of who used piss bottles camping stopped after spills

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Speaking of water,

Would a filter and a UV sterilizer or chemical sterilizer be a good addition my pack? Or is the filter/UV combo unnecessary or too heavy for what you get? Just want the option to get tons of clean water in case I gently caress up and need to survive for a longer time than I packed water for.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
That seems a bit overkill, but a filter is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I have not heard good things about the UV sterilizers. Most people say they break or stop working pretty quick and aren't very dependable.
The weight cost of carrying a chemical treatment is pretty low, so if you wanted that as a back up to a filter I'd say go for it.