Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

NGDBSS posted:

Hmm, I guess we're getting heavily into the mythological allusions here?

Interesting note that I read in passing somewhere: Oldschool japanese alchemy used to rely on the powers of the Frog, the Snake, the Slug, and the Bird.

Not quite sure what that means since I didn't really delve into it yet, but its an interesting mythos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Aburada looks an awful lot like Ishikawa Goemon aka Japanese Robin Hood.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Its Arashimaru's first ending! The boss is amazing but wow the buildup and conclusion is so LONG!

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Arashimaru becomes a lot less edgy when you realize his main weapon is a glorified videogame yoyo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Loved this ending, and I like the preview of the next DLC character because I think she's adorable.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Morroque posted:

Arashimaru becomes a lot less edgy when you realize his main weapon is a glorified videogame yoyo.

I can't believe that Rebecca Sugar ripped off Genroku Legends.

Anyway while I can't talk about our leading man until next video, I can talk about the final boss.

The Gashadokuro are skeletal giants that wander around the countryside at night. If they should happen upon a human out late on the roads, the gashadokuro will catch their victims and bite off their head. Said to be created from the amassed bones of people who died of starvation, gashadokuro are too large and powerful to be killed but maintain their existence until the energy and malice stored up in their bodies has completely burnt out. However because of the large amount of dead bodies required to form a single one, these abominations are much rarer in modern times compared to the feudal age where wars and famine were a part of everyday life.

Rajyaki is my favorite DLC character, her story is so much fun to watch which you'll see why soon enough.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Apparently George is Kamitani's real name, though it isn't super obvious, because he writes it as "盛治" in Japanese.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Okay If the the next ending pisses you off then yeah I know exactly whats going to happen. So let me primitively say God drat it Murramasa.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
You mentioned not really getting how just a head could be considered a proper burial well that's because in Japan they don't do in-tact burials. I want to say they do exclusively cremations and have family gravestones at cemeteries where you can pray and make offerings, typically flowers and incense. I'm sure others can do in a lot more depth but the basic idea is that when someone dies the family leaves offerings at the grave marker so they can have a reduced sentence in hell so they can either reincarnate or go to heaven faster by sort of bribing King Enma.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Morroque posted:

Honestly, the kunai is Arashimaru's main weapon. It has far better and more consistent damage than the sickle, and you can get by for most of the time just switching back and forth between kunai and bombs, only using the sickle as a backup when strictly necessary.

Arashimaru's alternate ending grew on me after a while, although I generally latched onto the primary endings as the "canon" ones.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Unlike Gonbe's second ending, which was made of bullshit and dashed hopes, I kinda like Arashimaru's alt ending, more on that once it's not spoilers.

This ending is quite cute in my opinion. You just know Arashimaru has a Batcave (snakecave?) where he meticulously plans how to solve all the requests he gets; although I'm quite curious what exactly did he have to pull to find Yasohachi a wife.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I think the sickle spin is how you're supposed to deal with the waterfall of skulls? Just standing in one place and use the twirling attack, and the AoE on the attack combined with its frequency should clear out the skulls fast enough to keep you from getting hit.

And those boss animations are fantastic.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Welp, here we are folks. One huge reference of an ending, and one DLC left.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

George's "they're all canon" statement seems a lot more merciful now. That was harsh.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The way the DLC stories are framed, they're basically folk stories so everything is canon makes sense.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Highwang posted:

Welp, here we are folks.

I had been holding off on this segment out of respect for Highwang but it is now time to talk about Arashimaru himself or more accurately, Orochimaru.

Now anime fans have probably heard this name used for a major villain from the Naruto franchise who is also one of three legendary ninjas know collectively as the Sannin alongside Jiraiya and Tsunade. What you may not know is that all three of these characters are based on a Japanese folktale called The Tale of the Gallant Jiraiya.

The story is about a ninja named Jiraiya who is the heir of a powerful ninja clan in Kyūshū and has mastered toad magic. He falls in love with and marries Tsunade, a beautiful young maiden who has mastered slug magic. The couple must rescue a princess from Jiraiya's archenemy and ex-follower Yashagoro or as he's now known Orochimaru who has mastered snake magic.

Toad, slug, and snake are considered the Japanese equivalent to rock, paper, scissors.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 30, 2016

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Yep that ended exactly like I thought it would... drat.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I love that they put such a bizarre amount of work into that ending, it's so drawn-out and has a bunch of unique assets. Someone at Vanillaware really loves the Tale of Jiraiya, goddamn.

Also, I wasn't loving kidding before when I said the alternate endings went out of their way to gently caress you over.

It's all uphill from here, though :3:

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 30, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

U.T. Raptor posted:

It's all uphill from here, though :3:

As I understand it, Rajyaki's story was Vanillaware's apology for the endings of Arashimaru's story being such downers.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I guess that you haven't read The Dark Tower series, then? Because this ending wasn't nearly as brutal to the protagonist as what happened to Roland at his journey's end. But regardless it's the sort of ending that gives me an evil grin, when we as the audience realize that the protagonist is utterly hosed and are just waiting to see how it plays out. I would at least not assume that Arashimaru is outright dead; after all, when Jinkuro did the same thing to Momohime the latter still hung around as an unwilling ethereal groupie.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
But in Jinkuro's best ending, he swapped with Yukinojyo with the implication that the latter was basically left to die in the former's body.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
It's not that I don't like the alternate endings for the last two DLCs. It's just that they were mediocre in an over the top fashion. For Gonbe, the twist, though upsetting, suffered from poor setup. Nothing was gained (or lost, to be fair). It was just there, almost like a joke. If anything, I would have preferred to see more of what happened in the world outside of ghost Gonbe's delusion.

For Arashimaru, his alternate ending could've been the start of a second story. Arashimaru's little brother becoming Jiraiya probably has a game's worth of material. Outside of the bad guy one-upping the protagonist because he somehow prepared a certain magic spell for this exact sequence of events, the rest of the ending was fine.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr. Highway posted:

For Arashimaru, his alternate ending could've been the start of a second story. Arashimaru's little brother becoming Jiraiya probably has a game's worth of material. Outside of the bad guy one-upping the protagonist because he somehow prepared a certain magic spell for this exact sequence of events, the rest of the ending was fine.

I can understand why Vanillaware wouldn't do this for budget reasons--they already put in a hell of a lot of assets for this ending but make an entire campaign to follow on the alternate ending would have been a bit much--but I think more games should have the guts to do stuff like Fire Emblem 4 did, where the second half of the game is that second story that takes up after the first story essentially "bad ends."

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

TorpidTypist joins us for the start of the final DLC, which is a cheerful breath of fresh air starring a womanizer and a demon kid.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I think the word you were looking for was "naive."

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Rajyaki is my favorite of the DLC characters, especially combat wise because when you start to get some of her later skills she feels like a watered-down fighting game character. It's great being able to pile on ridiculous amounts of damage and then immediately duck out of an annoying attack. While you mentioned her Demon mode's cloud move isn't that great i think it's meant to be a way to get to some of the more agile bosses quickly except until the endgame the gauge depletes so quickly that it's almost useless.

Smornstein fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 3, 2016

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Rajyaki is the best, adorable little murder whirlwind :3:

Even mechanically, since she's basically Okoi but with everything bad about Okoi (that lovely cat form and the terrible hitbox on her giant cat transformation) fixed.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
During Momohime's story in the main game, I talked about the origins of the of oni as a concept but didn't talk much about the oni themselves as yōkai.

Before I go into the main topic, I want to point out a cute little detail regarding Rajyaki's design. In her Child form, she has the small conical horns that are stereotypical of modern oni depictions that in large part to Lum for the franchise Urusei Yatsura:

This isn't really surpising given that this DLC can arguably be considered a love letter to Urusei Yatsura. Anyway, Rajyaki's Adult form has more realistic bovine horns which again makes sense when you remember that oni are historically influenced by oxen. Lastly her Monster form is modeled after this game's depiction of Raijin complete with forked horns for reasons that will presumably be explained in the next part.

Onto the oni themselves: Oni are born when truly wicked humans die and end up in one of the many Buddhist Naraka, reincarnated into oni. These oni act as the servants of Great Lord Enma with their job being to mete out horrible punishments to those who were wicked enough to end up in Hell but not quite wicked enough to be reborn as oni themselves. Occasionally, when a human is so utterly wicked that their soul is beyond any redemption, they transform into an oni during life, remaining on Earth to terrorize the living. These transformed oni are the ones most legends tell about, and the ones who pose the most danger to humanity.

One last thing about oni, their name is commonly localized as demon, devil, or ogre do to their nature.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 4, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Question: where are Seikichi's eyebrows?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

bman in 2288 posted:

In the bishounen locker, reserved for better humans.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Highwang posted:

In the bishounen locker, reserved for better humans.

Ah, okay.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah Seikichi's face is meant to be of the scary Neanderthal thug variety.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Rajyaki is the cutest little dumbass oni-child. :kimchi: As adorable as what's-his-face is awful.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I love her gliding animation. Very cute!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

FAT BATMAN posted:

I love her gliding animation. Very cute!

If I had to guess where she learned to do that, it would probably have been from Raijin since as Highwang noted the two are like sisters which would also be why she based her Monster form on Raijin as well.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In Resident Evil Zero you play as Rebecca Chambers, not Jill.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

bman in 2288 posted:

He has white painted around his eyes, or some poo poo. Or maybe he's just a clown.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Let's end this summer tale of mystique and intrigue by finishing off the Muramasa LP!

Rajyaki, Ending 1

Rajyaki, Ending 2

Thanks everyone for watching to the end. Debrief will probably be up tuesday and that'll be the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I knew it was going to be short but I wasn't expecting it to only be four vidoes.

• Locked thread