Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also cvs2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Smash is a fighting game. it's a platform fighter, which is a subgenre of fighting games distinct from the typical 1v1 Street Fighter/MK/Tekken type stuff, but that doesn't make it "not a fighting game." Overwatch is a significantly different game than Quake 3 CPMA without a ton of player overlap, but I don't see anyone calling either of those "not an FPS."

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

anime was right posted:

who designed alpha 2 and vs

get those dudes to make more games

neo_g

newest game kof14

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, if the main goal of a video game is to just beat the tar out of your opponent(s) until you're the last one standing, it's a fighting game. the specific mechanics might put it in a weird subgenre of fighting games, but they don't make it an entirely different genre.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Smoking Crow posted:

neo_g

newest game kof14

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like, if the main goal of a video game is to just beat the tar out of your opponent(s) until you're the last one standing, it's a fighting game. the specific mechanics might put it in a weird subgenre of fighting games, but they don't make it an entirely different genre.
my favorite fighting game, fire emblem

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dangerdoom volvo posted:

smash is not a fighting game. 3rd strike is bad. virtua fighter is good

wanna subscribe to your newsletter

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

my favorite fighting game, fire emblem

if there were a multiplayer FE where each player controlled one character and battles were self-contained rounds rather than being part of a story mode, I would totally consider it a fighting game. it would be, like Smash, in a weird subgenre that it would likely have all to itself, but it would still be a fighting game.

chivalry: medieval warfare was actually the oddball example I was going to use, but you kinda beat me to it with your Brutal Own

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Smash is a fighting game. it's a platform fighter, which is a subgenre of fighting games distinct from the typical 1v1 Street Fighter/MK/Tekken type stuff, but that doesn't make it "not a fighting game." Overwatch is a significantly different game than Quake 3 CPMA without a ton of player overlap, but I don't see anyone calling either of those "not an FPS."

This analogy doesn't work very well because FPS is a pretty obvious and well-defined genre (if it's in first-person perspective and you shoot people, it's an FPS). The fighting game genre is much harder to define and you can't really go on the name alone.

Whatever you want to call it, Smash belongs to a different genre than Street Fighter.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

if we can ever actually arrive at a definitive answer of if smash is a fighting game would it actually change anything

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

kappa posters are also not fighting game players btw

neither are goons

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

neo_g

newest game kof14

he joined halfway through dev though

cant wait for the next neog directed game though

also on his resume is mvc2 and 3

also like every single good capcom action game period

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mario bros arcade is a fighting game

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Fereydun posted:

he joined halfway through dev though

cant wait for the next neog directed game though

also on his resume is mvc2 and 3

also like every single good capcom game period

look forward to samsho7

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

if there were a multiplayer FE where each player controlled one character and battles were self-contained rounds rather than being part of a story mode, I would totally consider it a fighting game.
that exists

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Smash is a fighting game where instead of corners you have pits and instead of light/medium/heavy buttons you have up/down/forward buttons, and instead of chip death you have not being able to land a killing blow until their damage is so high a light normal or a throw kills them. You can also instant-kill your opponent at any point in a match and feel incredibly powerful.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did kof get patched yet? i'm still playing on in jupiter gravity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well, you usually wind up controlling 5-10 characters, but still, you control 3 characters in marvel and stuff so idk why that'd disqualify it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Real hurthling! posted:

did kof get patched yet? i'm still playing on in jupiter gravity

Not yet, the patch is probably done but it hasn't been approved by sony yet

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

how can smash be a real fighting game when fighting games aren't real

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
a fighting game is a game based on SFII

that's how you can get something like ea sports presents ufc, which is kinda a fighting game by definition, not be in the fighting game genre

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Garnavis posted:

This analogy doesn't work very well because FPS is a pretty obvious and well-defined genre (if it's in first-person perspective and you shoot people, it's an FPS). The fighting game genre is much harder to define and you can't really go on the name alone.

Whatever you want to call it, Smash belongs to a different genre than Street Fighter.

well, if it's not a fighting game, what is it? the key differences between Smash and Street Fighter are simpler movesets, complex stage designs that actually affect the gameplay rather than being purely cosmetic, and having more options than 1v1; the "knocking opponents off the stage" mechanic could also be taken as a difference, but you can actually turn that off and play stamina mode instead, which uses a more traditional health system. those all make it a different experience than Street Fighter, but not to an extent that I would consider it a different genre.

Mintergalactic posted:

if we can ever actually arrive at a definitive answer of if smash is a fighting game would it actually change anything

well the autistic "SMASH NO FIGHTAN GAEM" bleating that comes up every time anyone mentions Smash would stop and that would be cool

Endorph posted:

that exists

Endorph posted:

well, you usually wind up controlling 5-10 characters, but still, you control 3 characters in marvel and stuff so idk why that'd disqualify it

well, in Marvel you only have one out at a time, even if there's 3 on your team. still, though, yeah, I'd probably consider that a fighting game, if a very, very unconventional one. (I'd also appreciate a link because that sounds rad as gently caress)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My favorite fighting game, Doom

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

well the autistic "SMASH NO FIGHTAN GAEM" bleating that comes up every time anyone mentions Smash would stop and that would be cool

actually it would be cool if we discussed fighting games in the fighting game thread, instead of noted non-fighting games such as smash, as per the OP

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
please do not go down the dark path of the roguelike thread

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

man was a two legged animal without feathers to the greeks

fighters are japanese games with no anime or pokemon to streetfighter fans.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Am I a Jim

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AnonSpore posted:

My favorite fighting game, Doom

I mean you could totally bludgeon Doom into the category if you wanted to (I know 1v1 fist duels are a thing people have done), though I think the emphasis being on ranged combat and not melee is what disqualifies it. like, Chivalry has archers, but they're there to support the 3 melee classes, not the main mechanic in the game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

actually it would be cool if we discussed fighting games in the fighting game thread, instead of noted non-fighting games such as smash, as per the OP

you can do this without being a massive loving sperglord though. the Smash conversations only dominate the thread because people incessantly bitch about them instead of being the change they'd like to see in the world, and talking about games they like.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

One of the points from that Ultrachen episode I can agree with is Smash is not a part of the FGC, it has different community leaders and different traditions and it comes from a different place than the arcade scene, but in the bigger picture of competitive games the two are more similar than any other two scenes and that common ground can be beneficial to both sides. Smash is a fighting game, but it's not a part of the FGC, I think is how it was suggested.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

man was a two legged animal without feathers to the greeks

fighters are japanese games with no anime or pokemon to streetfighter fans.
much like a man plucking a chicken and shouting BEHOLD, A MAN, i shall hold up fire emblem and shout BEHOLD, A FIGHTING GAME

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Though, yeah, I'd probably consider that a fighting game, if a very, very unconventional one. (I'd also appreciate a link because that sounds rad as gently caress)
It's in Fire Emblem Fates as an actual feature (though you import your characters from the main campaign so that's a bit weighted,) and there's two online things for it, fire emblem tactics online, which has a persistent metagame thing where you have to level up your units and buy weapons for them to use in battles, and femp,, which has you spending a limited amount of resources on leveling up units and equipping them before every battle. I think FEMP is the best fire emblem multiplayer thing, even if it is still fairly janky.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Reiley posted:

One of the points from that Ultrachen episode I can agree with is Smash is not a part of the FGC, it has different community leaders and different traditions and it comes from a different place than the arcade scene, but in the bigger picture of competitive games the two are more similar than any other two scenes and that common ground can be beneficial to both sides. Smash is a fighting game, but it's not a part of the FGC, I think is how it was suggested.

this is where I'd probably land. the community is definitely a totally separate thing from the FGC, even if the game is in the broad genre. but if that's where we're drawing the line for discussion in this thread, maybe this should be a FGC thread and not a general fighting game one

Endorph posted:

It's in Fire Emblem Fates as an actual feature (though you import your characters from the main campaign so that's a bit weighted,) and there's two online things for it, fire emblem tactics online, which has a persistent metagame thing where you have to level up your units and buy weapons for them to use in battles, and femp,, which has you spending a limited amount of resources on leveling up units and equipping them before every battle. I think FEMP is the best fire emblem multiplayer thing, even if it is still fairly janky.

goddamn I need a 3DS

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

please don't be jerks to guilty gear players in tournaments please smash fans

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Brosnan posted:

• Discussion/bickering about non-fighting games such as Smash Bros., Pokémon, or Dig Dug.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Smoking Crow posted:

please don't be jerks to guilty gear players in tournaments please smash fans

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is where I'd probably land. the community is definitely a totally separate thing from the FGC, even if the game is in the broad genre. but if that's where we're drawing the line for discussion in this thread, maybe this should be a FGC thread and not a general fighting game one

there is already an fgc thread

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Do wrestling games count as fighting games? Does Fight For New York count as a wrestling game? That was a good drat game.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Reiley posted:

Do wrestling games count as fighting games? Does Fight For New York count as a wrestling game? That was a good drat game.

maybe and it uses the same systems in no mercy and wcw vs nwo, so yes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dragon enthusiast posted:

there is already an fgc thread

then how about we not sperg the gently caress out in this thread namaste harambe

Reiley posted:

yes and yes imo

(would unironically like to see FFNY at EVO)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

I'm more interested in your definition of "sperg" than your definition of "fighting games."