Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Aren't they basically alive still when you eat them like a Klingon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm fine with raw oysters, but have never cared for them cooked. It also doesn't help that the last time I had fried oysters it resulted in one of the weirdest gastrointestinal events I've ever had.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
clams > oysters. sorry.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

zh1 posted:

clams > oysters. sorry.

I like clams more overall but that does not mean I don't like oysters.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I never looked in this thread until today but good call on those king oscars op. I had a few olive oil tins in my pantry from a couple years ago and they are still delicious.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
IMO it's mussels>clams>scallops>oysters. Fresh caught little necks might put clams over the top of mussels though. But really they are all pretty tasty.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

pahuyuth posted:

I'm almost ashamed to admit this but I love all you 'deener Dads so here goes... I've never had any sort of oyster. What should I do?

To add to this as a frequent oyster diner I find people new to oysters prefer the smaller varieties and on the west coast anyway oysters are better in colder months (ending in "R"). Recommended varieties for new oysters eaters in my experience: kusshi, Kumamoto, royal miyagi are all good for starters, although I think more common on the west coast, you could probably find east coast equivalents. Other ones to watch for are malpeque, fanny bay, nootkas. Anyway, the key thing you probably want to start with is small. Then work up to larger, saltier and musky types. Oh, and get them shucked properly, grit and shell is not a good thing, it's not dadly just lovely. If you like them get a knife and some duct tape they're easy to shuck with some practice.noh and oysters should loving never be creamy. Ever. Send that poo poo back.

E: also don't cook oysters if it's not worth eating fresh then eat a cooked mussel/clam/scallop/prawn w/e which are all better than cooked oysters.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 26, 2016

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Oysters > scallops > clams > mussels imo. But I love all of them.

For smoked oysters, get the Natural Crown Prince variety. Just make sure it says Product of South Korea instead of China.

I've had raw oysters inland with no bad results, but coastal are always better. Best raw oyster town for me is Charleston.

I used to like fried oysters but now I consider them a waste. They taste good but raw is better. I have put raw oysters in a soup, but it was a Cort Boullion.

Any dads try cockles or razor clams? Is it possible to get these in 'Merica?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Look Sir Droids posted:

Any dads try cockles or razor clams? Is it possible to get these in 'Merica?

Yeah and yeah

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The closest decent grocery has been selling three-pound bags of mussels lately. My wife used to refuse eat them but goes to town on a dish when I steam them in a skillet with white wine or vermouth and some minced aromatics.

In 'dine news, had a primarily summer squash honky-rear end veggie "stir-fry" with rice all topped with fishes in sriracha. Was good. Sauce on the veg had five spice, garlic, green onion, chili paste, ghost pepper oil, Squid brand fish sauce, black pepper, some extra salt, and rice wine. And I put some homebrew kimchi on the side. Was one of the more anti-social meals I've brought to work.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They make a kind of omelette dish in Thailand with mussels. It's good.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Oysters bbq'd in the half shell over beach bonfire coals >>> fried/tinned oysters.

Good scallops are the best, though.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Let me tell yall something about oysters. Well, two.

First off, you need to try them roasted. To me, this is one of the best ways to eat them. I learned this from the waterbillies down in the Northern Neck of Va, where the Rappahanock Oyster is king. What they do is simply heat up a grill and throw them on. You can also do this with a toaster oven.

What this does is slightly cooks the oyster as well as makes it easier to open. You cook them to your liking - you can just warm them for 5 minutes, or cook them until they're a nugget. Best to me is "al dente" where they oyster has a little bit of texture to it, but the liquor is still there. They pop open from the heat, which makes it easier to shuck. Give it a try sometime.

If you like oysters and can find one, pair them with Muscadet wine. It's a classic pairing. Saying "classic pairing" is dadly so if you dont like that just drink a tall boy and be like gently caress it

Oysterchat

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Just had a can of Planet Wild 'dines.

Not a fan. Only 3 drat giant fishes in the can. Sticking with KOs from now on. Life's too short.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sheep-Goats posted:

They make a kind of omelette dish in Thailand with mussels. It's good.

i would like to know more - do they cook them separately? with shells on? question mark

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Just had a can of Planet Wild 'dines.

Not a fan. Only 3 drat giant fishes in the can. Sticking with KOs from now on. Life's too short.

I got seven in my last tin. They're inconsistent.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I'm a big proponent of fried oysters, but I accept that a big part of this is due to the nostalgia of 20 years of family vacation dinners in Calabash and the mountainous fried shrimp/scallops/oysters/perch platters (supposedly) a local specialty.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Beans posted:

i would like to know more - do they cook them separately? with shells on? question mark

It's called hoi tod. Very very common dish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJu0iZKQLhs

raton fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 27, 2016

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Making some poke and mahi mahi tonight AMA

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

King of Bees posted:

Making some poke and mahi mahi tonight AMA

What do you put in your poke? I'm a little obsessed with poke right now, but my favorite is the kind with spicy mayo and mouth-popping tobiko.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

What do you put in your poke? I'm a little obsessed with poke right now, but my favorite is the kind with spicy mayo and mouth-popping tobiko.

Im pretty traditional. Tuna, sesame seeds and oil, sweet onions and green onions, and soy sauce. I can't get the seaweed here so I just skip it.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Butch Cassidy posted:

The closest decent grocery has been selling three-pound bags of mussels lately. My wife used to refuse eat them but goes to town on a dish when I steam them in a skillet with white wine or vermouth and some minced aromatics.

In 'dine news, had a primarily summer squash honky-rear end veggie "stir-fry" with rice all topped with fishes in sriracha. Was good. Sauce on the veg had five spice, garlic, green onion, chili paste, ghost pepper oil, Squid brand fish sauce, black pepper, some extra salt, and rice wine. And I put some homebrew kimchi on the side. Was one of the more anti-social meals I've brought to work.

You.

Kydex.

Now.

(make me one too, KO tin size please)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Had KO's kippers for the first time yesterday. Absolutely delicious, except that my gf wouldn't even sit near me after.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Speleothing posted:

Had KO's kippers for the first time yesterday. Absolutely delicious, except that my gf wouldn't even sit near me after.

One time I had a tin of kippers that I threw on the frying pan for a quick sear with some onions.

After I was done I tossed the can, did the dishes, took out the trash and promptly left for a 4-day vacation in Vegas.

When I got back my place still reeked of kippers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Today for lunch, I had a Greek salad I bought on Friday (which would have been much better on Friday) with a can of Season 'dine fillets in "sweet & tangy Spanish-style sauce."

I'm not a fan of regular Season 'dines in olive oil. These were better, but the oil wasn't particularly sweet or tangy, nor did it remind me of Spanish cuisine. There were four medium-sized fillets in the can, which were relatively flaky and a bit dry, but not overwhelmingly fishy.

I've had much better 'dines (the smaller, the better, as far as I'm concerned), but also much worse. And these were Moroccan, by the way.

This was exactly what I had: http://www.seasonproducts.com/products/sardine-fillets-in-sweet-tangy-sauce/

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Thank you for the recent oyster advice. I'm definitely going to try them both raw and grilled if I can find any decent fresh ones near me. Also, if anyone knows where in Atlanta to go to have good oysters let me know else I'll ask in the Atlanta dining thread.

As it turned out, my first taste of them was a can of Chicken Of the Sea smoked oysters bought from a gas station in very rural Southern Georgia. I mean, it wasn't even a convenience store. They sold Pepsi, chips and candy bars, and sardines and oysters and gas and that's it. That's gotta be worth some Dad points, right?

My four daughters were completely grossed out (though they love dines) but my Son, the young, strong, full of future Dadliness man that he is, shared them with me and loved them. I'm so proud.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 31, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

pahuyuth posted:

Thank you for the recent oyster advice. I'm definitely going to try them both raw and grilled if I can find any decent fresh ones near me. Also, if anyone knows where in Atlanta to go to have good oysters let me know else I'll ask in the Atlanta dining thread.

As it turned out, my first taste of them was a can of Chicken Of the Sea smoked oysters bought from a gas station in very rural Southern Georgia. I mean, it wasn't even a convenience store. They sold Pepsi, chips and candy bars, and sardines and oysters and gas and that's it. That's gotta be worth some Dad points, right?

My four daughters were completely grossed out (though they love dines) but my Son, the young, strong, full of future Dadliness man that he is, shared them with me and loved them. I'm so proud.

Buying oysters in rural Georgia sounds like a recipe for disaster, my friend. Glad it worked out for you.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Canned smoked oysters never fail unless they were caught just after their Thanksgiving feast

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Crazyeyes posted:

Buying oysters in rural Georgia sounds like a recipe for disaster, my friend. Glad it worked out for you.

I didn't even look at the expiration date. DAD HUNGRY! DAD OPEN TIN CAN! DAD EAT SEA CREATURES! DAD OK.

VVV I wish I had taken pictures of the gas station. Chernobyl is likely a step up from this place.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Yeah, uh, canned oysters aren't much of a risk unless you found them in Chernobyl.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sharing a can of oysters and you don't much care for the person you're sharing with? Eat all the skinny oysters first.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Smoked oysters are like punk rock fetish models, you want the ones with the concave guts even if they look a little sinewy

Utterly Irrelephant
Sep 6, 2007
ive got a rocket in my pocket
Found an can of bumblebee chopped clams in the cupboard in my apartment, they expired last month. What should I eat them with?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Egorger Le Chef posted:

Found an can of bumblebee chopped clams in the cupboard in my apartment, they expired last month. What should I eat them with?

Pride

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A fork, probably.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Egorger Le Chef posted:

Fry up with some onion, lot of garlic and halved cherry tomatoes, add a squirt of lemon juice or some kinda inoffensive vinegar and then put on noodles. Add some basil if you have that otherwise gently caress it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Or Jacques Pepin's sausage and clam ragout. Which is wonderful.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I bought raw oysters for the first time from a grocery store and they were disgusting. For the record, I bought them at a Shoprite in New Jersey so I wasn't that far from the ocean. I bought tightly closed ones and ate them immediately once I got home. They were so extremely fishy and foul tasting that I got through 3 and threw out the rest. Surprisingly didn't get sick. I guess getting good oysters for $1 was too good to be true.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

i got dine socks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ferroque posted:

i got dine socks

lol