Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's very much worth it to download the latest version of the vehicles additions pack and activate it. (The version in the main download is frequently outdated because Blaze doesn't github).

Find details of many other mods here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

There's some interesting features being added in, including an isometric ChestHole tile view (which looks pretty awesome but still incomplete AFAIK) and sounds. I've not tested the sounds yet, but I'm going to check em out and see what its like.

Also:

Angry Diplomat posted:

That, or give players the ability to toggle an "important gear" flag on items, giving them a special icon and/or text colour in the inventory UI and causing them to be ignored (if possible) when deciding what tumbles to the ground upon container removal. It'd make parsing large inventories and picking out frequently-used tools (like sewing kits and soldering irons) a lot more convenient as well.

I've implemented this feature in code, but I need to wait for them to merge a few VS2015 fixes first. The idea is to allow the player to mark items using the item detail menu which causes marked items to be shown with a white background.

I'm working on getting it to use the correct text colour for the situation but it isn't trivial as the colour system is baffling to me and I don't want to dive too deep into the rabbit hole. I will look at maybe adding the whole "prioritise not dropping marked items if your bags get destroyed" but babysteps at the moment.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I picked up this game last week and have thoroughly enjoyed being zapped to death by shocker brutes.

How do I deal with shocker brutes, regular brutes, and hordes of various monsters?

Also digging pits takes forever.

And almost every car has a faulty engine. My current solution to that is just cheat wish for the needed part for repairs, as engines cannot be disassembled for spare parts.

Deadly Ham Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 31, 2016

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I picked up this game last week and have thoroughly enjoyed being zapped to death by shocker brutes.

How do I deal with shocker brutes, regular brutes, and hordes of various monsters?

Regular brutes aren't too bad if you can get them by themselves (and sleep off the damage afterward). Shocker brutes are mini-hulks that also poo poo lightning, firearms are your friend.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I really should give fire another try. I will splash gasoline all over a house, yell a bunch and gather all the monsters inside, then light a fire and jump out the window.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Knife spear start is pretty good. The trouble is finding a shopping cart so I can start piling up some gear and get situated but upping city size to 6 definitely helped out. The knife spear has made combat kind of ridiculously easy though so I think I'll try to use it sparingly when I learn the ropes better.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

And almost every car has a faulty engine. My current solution to that is just cheat wish for the needed part for repairs, as engines cannot be disassembled for spare parts.

The go-to way to handle shocker brutes is either A) don't, avoid them, or B) shotguns. Even with no skill in shotguns, two shells will pretty much drop them.

As for the faulty engine, most cars will still start. It just takes multiple attempts to start them. My usual way to fix that issue is just find vehicles with multiple engines. Stuff like tanks have four engines; I've never seen one that didn't have at least one of those be fully functioning and green.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Liberal application of shotguns for shocker enemies. If you don't have a gun and need to kill a shocker with melee make sure you're not hitting them with a metal weapon. Don't try taking on zombie hordes until you have some combat skills, hitting " will make your character sprint which lets you basically outrun any zombie even if you're in pain.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

hitting " will make your character sprint which lets you basically outrun any zombie even if you're in pain.

* Does not apply to hulks.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

More than anything else, finding a shotgun and some 00 shot takes a huge amount of pressure off in the early game. Check those basements, check all corpses. It's not that unusual to find guns on zombies, though they might not have ammo. And as you mentioned, fire is great. Anytime I'm concerned about the horde the solution is to set the building on fire and run. At the very least the smoke should obscure your scent trail while you book it (assuming this still works in current versions).

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I have an NPC following me who has a forked spear and he wrecks the poo poo of anything and everything that gets close. I don't even have to help, just wait till things get close, he goes to town and even helpfully pulverises the bodies when he's done.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Roobanguy posted:

Liberal application of shotguns for shocker enemies. If you don't have a gun and need to kill a shocker with melee make sure you're not hitting them with a metal weapon. Don't try taking on zombie hordes until you have some combat skills, hitting " will make your character sprint which lets you basically outrun any zombie even if you're in pain.

I really should have realized running was a button. This is a game changer for me.

So apparently zombies that die in a fire can explode. I am assuming they were carrying something explosive.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I really should have realized running was a button. This is a game changer for me.

So apparently zombies that die in a fire can explode. I am assuming they were carrying something explosive.

probably some ammo, i think they made them capable of exploding now. or you ran into the actual scariest zombie; the grenadier.

also on more shotgun chat, if you are lucky and find a saiga or a ksg, you are basically set for your side arm. if you go at the saiga with a hack saw and slap a folding stock on it, you can put it in a pistol holster, and its 10 shots will ruin anythings day, and the ksg just needs a folding stock and you'll be set with a 14 shot pistol sized shotgun.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 1, 2016

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Does anyone have a direct link to the most recent let's play on SA for this game?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Firos posted:

Does anyone have a direct link to the most recent let's play on SA for this game?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3721693

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Thanks my man :toot:

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I have not found any hard drugs yet. I have found plenty of painkillers and a poo poo ton of weed. It seems like every town had someone growing pot in their basement.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I have not found any hard drugs yet. I have found plenty of painkillers and a poo poo ton of weed. It seems like every town had someone growing pot in their basement.

It seems like I find weed basements 40-50% of the time, which is hilarious but I only need so many cannabis seeds. Seriously, I'm sitting on like a thousand marijuana after a couple of seasons of weed farming.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Is there any downside to setting the world gen to make larger towns?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Is there any downside to setting the world gen to make larger towns?

If you make the number big enough wilderness effectively disappears I believe. Otherwise not really besides making the game easier.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Everyone should experience a vast, never ending city.

Could probably be turned into some sort of game mode with tweaks. In city labs and military complexes.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I would love a true "New York City" style thing. No wilderness except a small strip in the middle. Rest is 100% nothing but roads and buildings.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Was just gonna ask about this too, thank you my dude!

Last night I lost a character who had been doing real well because a Hell Knight appeared out of nowhere, punched me so hard I flew clear across the road, also setting me on fire and breaking half my (reinforced) gear, and putting me instantly in so much pain I couldn't do poo poo about it.

It remains one of my favorite games.

Quick question: If I build a 'vehicle' that has no wheels or anything, can an engine + alternator still produce power?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My current character is doing pretty well. I've holed up in a double garage by a gas station and stockpiled a bunch of tools and materials I've scavenged from nearby with a shopping cart and boarded up all the windows. I want to try my hand at getting a vehicle or maybe just building a bike but my mechanics is pretty low and I have to eat all my food raw since I haven't found any head pads, nor have I found a hacksaw to start cutting up cars.

I'm a bit at a loss where to go from here. I could try and go on a long expedition but that seems risky when I have a large city right here with a bunch of houses. Is there a skill I should train so I can craft my own heat pad or mess kit?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Try smashing furniture then setting fire to the subsequent planks.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

My current character is doing pretty well. I've holed up in a double garage by a gas station and stockpiled a bunch of tools and materials I've scavenged from nearby with a shopping cart and boarded up all the windows. I want to try my hand at getting a vehicle or maybe just building a bike but my mechanics is pretty low and I have to eat all my food raw since I haven't found any head pads, nor have I found a hacksaw to start cutting up cars.

I'm a bit at a loss where to go from here. I could try and go on a long expedition but that seems risky when I have a large city right here with a bunch of houses. Is there a skill I should train so I can craft my own heat pad or mess kit?

Mess Kits and Hotplates can be built with electronics, but you need the appropriate books for it. Much easier in your situation to smash furniture, throw the wood outside, and light it on fire to cook.

As for vehicles, yeah, you need to either find a book and study or a hacksaw and just start ripping parts off of cars. Wrench/jack/welder will be needed if you try to build your own from scratch, too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mister Adequate posted:

Quick question: If I build a 'vehicle' that has no wheels or anything, can an engine + alternator still produce power?
Yes, this is effectively a stationary generator. You will still need a set of controls to turn it on and a gas tank, but you do not require wheels, technically.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Well, finally managed to survive VBD/Tweaker, and without using a car or basement to boot. To celebrate I decided to give the character an unlimited supply of a random mutagenic serum. I rolled it, and got... Slime. RIP Crackhead Carl, survived the worst possible day only to turn into a puddle.

Edit: Slime isn't as bad as I thought, six serums in and he isn't dead yet. I even got a mutation that DOUBLEs intelligence, making this dude even smarter then my pyromaniac squidman with a grotesquely swollen brain. On the other hand he needs 2-3 times the food and water of a regular character (I guess he eats by osmosis now?) and is in constant pain. He's still a roughly playable, non-dead character though, which is more then I can say for my experiments with Chimera or Elf-a.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 3, 2016

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

On the other hand he needs 2-3 times the food and water of a regular character (I guess he eats by osmosis now?) and is in constant pain.

God drat this line makes me laugh hard. This is why I love this game. I think my guy is on his way to become a lizard.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mister Adequate posted:

You can also use solar panels and you don't even need the engine and alternator, although honestly truck alternators put out so much power you probably will get a year's worth of power out of one fueling.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Have touched this in years now. What's the current most complete tileset right now?

Also are fursuits and gimpsuits are still a thing?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 4, 2016

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

the legend will never die

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

IIRC the fursuits were moved over to the "strange wasteland" or... the gently caress ever it's called mod. Gimpsuits are baseline and there's even a class that starts with it (lost submissive).

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

IIRC the fursuits were moved over to the "strange wasteland" or... the gently caress ever it's called mod. Gimpsuits are baseline and there's even a class that starts with it (lost submissive).

I found a fursuit in a game with strange wasteland turned off.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Oh, alright. Someone earlier in this thread said it was moved to that mod, so I dunno then. :shrug: I've personally never seen one, but have found bunches of gimp suits in random homes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I downloaded the latest nightly (the Cataclysm launcher is really neat) and all the furry poo poo is in there.
Also apparently they added a whole bunch of animalistic mutations and something tells me they're also there for the same reason.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The mutations are really cool and shouldn't be discounted to some knee jerk furry panic reaction.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

The mutations are really cool and shouldn't be discounted to some knee jerk furry panic reaction.

I mean, I don't really mind either way.
The worst those things do is give me an occasional cringe but I mean, if I was looting random people's houses I would probably find a furry suit eventually as well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
get an internal furnace biomod and you'll be pretty happy when you find fursuits

you know conclusively that you don't give a poo poo about using them, and they turn into a substantial amount of bio-energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
They can be cut up for a ton of rags too, and they work reasonably well for surviving in cryo labs/brutal winters if you're desperate.