Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Seems like important stuff to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Nothing a man or info page couldn't give me in a live environment. But I'm not really complaining about what's on the test, I'm more just pointing out to anybody else planning to take it to not expect a typical CompTIA test. It's the LPI test with a CompTIA logo on top.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

I just failed the mcse 70-413 exam with a score of 653.
It was so much more difficult then the mcsa exams and I could not go back to previous questions. I'm gonna brush up on "plan and implement file and storages services", "design and maintain a dhcp solution" and Design a name resolution policy"

I'm thinking about studying the coming few days and retaking the exam on friday.

I've got the MS Exam Ref book for the 413 - what were you using to prep if I might ask?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Nothing a man or info page couldn't give me in a live environment. But I'm not really complaining about what's on the test, I'm more just pointing out to anybody else planning to take it to not expect a typical CompTIA test. It's the LPI test with a CompTIA logo on top.

This is why the Red Hat exams are so much better. You should know the often-used flags by heart, but that will come with experience. If you don't know them off the top of your head, the Red Hat exams would totally allow you to pull up a man page or a --help flag.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The Microsoft exams would be so much better, and could potentially be made even tougher without being unfair if they gave you a powershell prompt with all the help files.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Just failed my JNCIS-ENT. loving BGP and STP kicked my rear end.

There we go, passed. Also a perfect moment to :yotj:

Next up, probably the revised CCNA since JNCIP self study materials are rather hard to come by.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

I've got the MS Exam Ref book for the 413 - what were you using to prep if I might ask?

I've been using this: http://www.icttrainingen.nl/Microsoft/Training-MCSE-Server-Infrastructure-Examens-70-413-en-70-414.html.

It's an online elearning portal. My boss gave me access to it.

Edit: How do you guys deal with nervousness just before the exam?
I always start to feel a bit light headed, my fingers are vibrating, I can't sit still.

Sefal fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 1, 2016

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Sefal posted:

I've been using this: http://www.icttrainingen.nl/Microsoft/Training-MCSE-Server-Infrastructure-Examens-70-413-en-70-414.html.

It's an online elearning portal. My boss gave me access to it.

I always start to feel a bit light headed, my fingers are vibrating, I can't sit still.

If exams make you nervous, you should take practice exams and try to make them as real as possible. Clear out distractions, time them, consider them the real examine. The goal is to get used to the nervous feeling so you get past it quickly.

Test taking can be a skill by itself, regardless of the material. Most tests are timed so they are sprints rather than marathons, so you need to practice getting over the initial hump so you don't waste a few moments calming yourself.

Another thing would be to do some practice runs of sitting down like you are starting a test, feel yourself getting nervous, and take some deep breaths. If needed, have some sort of calming ritual, but do it before time starts.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I like to lightweight exercises to get my blood running a little bit faster, helps calm the nervous energy. Usually walk back and forth through the parking lot or hallways, stretch my arms and legs a bit, maybe a couple squats if nobody else is in the waiting area. This also helps make the testing chair more comfortable for the hour you're sitting there so it's not a distraction.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sefal posted:

I live about 20 minutes from the exam location. 20 minutes of walking is great to clear the mind.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sorry if this doesn't totally relate to IT certs but looked around and can't find anything to ask.

Anyone have their PMP or are attempting it?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sorry if this doesn't totally relate to IT certs but looked around and can't find anything to ask.

Anyone have their PMP or are attempting it?

I got mine a few months ago

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

vyst posted:

I got mine a few months ago

Nice. Working on mine now. I have a ton of questions.

Big one is how did you fill out the work experience? Did you use keywords or just explain past projects? And of course, did you get audited?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nice. Working on mine now. I have a ton of questions.

Big one is how did you fill out the work experience? Did you use keywords or just explain past projects? And of course, did you get audited?

I just explained past projects and filled the hours. I didn't get audited though.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Passed 640-916. gently caress I am glad to be done with this!!!!!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

vyst posted:

I just explained past projects and filled the hours. I didn't get audited though.

Thanks,

About how many projects did you list?

Hell, I have non-overlapping projects that consumed 1,000 hours of my time easily.

Yet I have a bunch of 200 hour ones as well scattered around.

Guess what I'm asking, I could put down 5-6 projects that would meet the hour requirement easily but am not sure that would cut it or would look funny.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks,

About how many projects did you list?

Hell, I have non-overlapping projects that consumed 1,000 hours of my time easily.

Yet I have a bunch of 200 hour ones as well scattered around.

Guess what I'm asking, I could put down 5-6 projects that would meet the hour requirement easily but am not sure that would cut it or would look funny.

I worked with a couple of people who didn't have anywhere near the requirements. They both lied, one got audited, both now have their PMP.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Fudge posted:

I worked with a couple of people who didn't have anywhere near the requirements. They both lied, one got audited, both now have their PMP.

Thanks, I'm sure I'm over thinking it.

Edit: How many projects does one list? 5, 6, 10...etc.?

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 1, 2016

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Passed 640-916. gently caress I am glad to be done with this!!!!!

CONGRATS :hfive:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks, I'm sure I'm over thinking it.

Edit: How many projects does one list? 5, 6, 10...etc.?

As many as it takes to put you over the hours requirement. It's really not a big deal. And you don't get audited based on your application. You get audited out of random chance. Don't assume if you get audited you hosed up, your number just got picked.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

vyst posted:

As many as it takes to put you over the hours requirement. It's really not a big deal. And you don't get audited based on your application. You get audited out of random chance. Don't assume if you get audited you hosed up, your number just got picked.

Well I'm not going to gently caress up with that...I'll have all my i's and t's crossed and dotted. Hopefully if you don't mind once I get "accepted" after my application process you won't mind answering further questions.

As for the 70-413, did I misread that in regards to marking answers and not being able going back to them?

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 2, 2016

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Thx for the tips on calming my nerves

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well I'm not going to gently caress up with that...I'll have all my i's and t's crossed and dotted. Hopefully if you don't mind once I get "accepted" after my application process you won't mind answering further questions.

As for the 70-413, did I misread that in regards to marking answers and not being able going back to them?

You couldn't go back to questions about case studies after you answered them, and you couldn't go back after answering yes/no questions. The rest was fine.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sefal posted:

You couldn't go back to questions about case studies after you answered them, and you couldn't go back after answering yes/no questions. The rest was fine.

Geesus. I'm catching up. Old school MSCE when the tests were adaptive and a joke (sorry if that hurt and they diluted the drat thing)...back in the 3.51/4.0/2K days.

But studying five different things now and these tests are on the radar.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sefal posted:

Sorry to be pedantic, are the MSCE different from MCSA tests in this regard?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sorry to be pedantic, are the MSCE different from MCSA tests in this regard?

When I took the MCSA exams earlies this year. I could go back and review every question.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sefal posted:

When I took the MCSA exams earlies this year. I could go back and review every question.

Thank you sir. If you have any oddball questions bounce them off me. I've seen weird poo poo.

Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like they aren't playing around. A good thing...got to work for it.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
It's one thing I love about Cisco tests, the questions are short and to the point and generally you can easily spot the out right wrong answers to eliminate. Compared to the rear end that is MS tests that I have taken. One thing though on todays test. In one question the word switch was misspelled. In another choice in the same question there was both bad grammar and the omission of a word or two that would have completed a sentence. Wtf is with that?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

It's one thing I love about Cisco tests, the questions are short and to the point and generally you can easily spot the out right wrong answers to eliminate. Compared to the rear end that is MS tests that I have taken. One thing though on todays test. In one question the word switch was misspelled. In another choice in the same question there was both bad grammar and the omission of a word or two that would have completed a sentence. Wtf is with that?

lovely editors. Did you submit comments forward those questions?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I hate the trivia questions that you could look up in two seconds in real life. And the terrible editing and questions developed by non English speakers.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Ashley Madison posted:

lovely editors. Did you submit comments forward those questions?

Oh gently caress yes. One on the actual question and one on the survey at the end. I let them loving have it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bigass Moth posted:

I hate the trivia questions that you could look up in two seconds in real life. And the terrible editing and questions developed by non English speakers.

My biggest issue are those answers while all technically correct, there is a "best one".

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

CCNA DC 640-911 scheduled next week Tuesday. Been studying like mad. Wish me luck!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've been taking the 70-414 course this week.. I kinda like what Hyper-V has become now. I haven't messed with it since 2008R2, but 2012R2 with VMM isn't bad.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The thing that irks me is that they could make the practical cert tests infinitely easier and more effective if they were all sim-based because ideally they want certifications to translate real world experience. The counter argument is well people could just testdump the steps to solve each simulation. Well if they test dumped the steps they'd be doing real world simulations anyway so "Ok". I, as a manager, don't give a gently caress how you did the job you did- just that you did it and followed process. "I googled how to do it" sounds just as good as "well back in 2013 i studied 8 weeks to cram poo poo in from this dry textbook and here we are".

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Langolas posted:

CCNA DC 640-911 scheduled next week Tuesday. Been studying like mad. Wish me luck!

Be sure you read about boot options and image management on start up. The book does NOT talk about those.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

MrBigglesworth posted:

Be sure you read about boot options and image management on start up. The book does NOT talk about those.

Yep, got all those items y'all shared with me earlier and made quizlet flash cards with them. Also got the licensing and hardware items like "How many Unified ports does model XYZ support?"

Figured I'd go all out in memorizing those.

On the sidenote, my IPV6 studying really clicked this time compared to my cram for CCNAR+S 3 years ago

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

vyst posted:

The thing that irks me is that they could make the practical cert tests infinitely easier and more effective if they were all sim-based because ideally they want certifications to translate real world experience. The counter argument is well people could just testdump the steps to solve each simulation. Well if they test dumped the steps they'd be doing real world simulations anyway so "Ok". I, as a manager, don't give a gently caress how you did the job you did- just that you did it and followed process. "I googled how to do it" sounds just as good as "well back in 2013 i studied 8 weeks to cram poo poo in from this dry textbook and here we are".

I took the Google Apps Admin test earlier this year after we switched to it and it was awesome. They just dump you into a temporary Google Apps domain, give you a set of documents for how they want it configured and then you have an amount of time to do it in.

That being said it was the easiest thing I've ever done. I was way overprepared and finished in less than 15 minutes. Anybody in this thread could probably go take it with no experience and pass it. Most of the actual Google Apps issues I've run into in the real world weren't covered on the test.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Langolas posted:

Yep, got all those items y'all shared with me earlier and made quizlet flash cards with them. Also got the licensing and hardware items like "How many Unified ports does model XYZ support?"

Figured I'd go all out in memorizing those.

On the sidenote, my IPV6 studying really clicked this time compared to my cram for CCNAR+S 3 years ago

Good luck man! Succeed where we failed (to pass on the first try).

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

Ashley Madison posted:

Good luck man! Succeed where we failed (to pass on the first try).

Thanks! Hopefully I can learn from the bullshit you all went through so I don't have to waste an extra $250 :(. Had to pay for this out of pocket til I pass then work will pay me back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Langolas posted:

Thanks! Hopefully I can learn from the bullshit you all went through so I don't have to waste an extra $250 :(. Had to pay for this out of pocket til I pass then work will pay me back

I'm in the same boat, except Canadian paying USD :smithicide: