Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ShineDog posted:

So any faction can spawn any ground vehicle. Is that the same for aircraft? Like, britain will always have access to the fokker triplane and thats not a beta thing?

That seems a little weird to me.

Factions sharing guns is kind of.. whatever. I don't love it, but in gameplay terms I don't care because you've still got the dude carrying it who is faction unique. Having quick subconcious recognition of the different silhouettes of vehicles is kind of different, and while I get there were a tiny handful of armoured vehicles in the war, there were a ton of faction unique aircraft, and it would be nice to see the shape of a fokker and go "yep that's a badguy" and carry on, like in every other BF.

Minor thing, I guess.

The full game is even better. I'm pretty sure you can be a black German guy carrying a gun that was made in America and sold to Russia and a pistol that was made in Spain and sold to France.

Faction specific equipment is a concept more suited to an asymmetrical game than a roughly symmetrical one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
On the ground, sure. But in every other bf game the vehicles were just fighter, strike fighter, apc, mbt, and jeep thingy with a nation appropriate skin on them. It didn't make a mechanical difference, kept things balanced and visually distinct.

EDIT - Going into the customise plane menu on the british side, theres actually no fokker shown or selectable, instead you get 3 different flavours of Sopwith Camel. Similarly, the attack fighter and bomber are different. I'm willing to bet it's a beta limitation/bug as present.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 1, 2016

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

ShineDog posted:

So any faction can spawn any ground vehicle. Is that the same for aircraft? Like, britain will always have access to the fokker triplane and thats not a beta thing?

There's a Italian bomber and a Sopwith Camel(?) shown in the promo screenshots somewhere, so faction specific vehicles are still in.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

ShineDog posted:

On the ground, sure. But in every other bf game the vehicles were just fighter, strike fighter, apc, mbt, and jeep thingy with a nation appropriate skin on them. It didn't make a mechanical difference, kept things balanced and visually distinct.

There were massive differences between factions all the way up to bf3. Bf4 had major differences in speed and hit boxes as well as turn rate. The guns may have been the same but the vehicles were not.

I mean I can see you guys point, but I think most of the variation will probably be paint or something tame like that. I think they feel you have a more immediate need to know what the tank or planes load out is than anything else. And from getting spanked by a tank hunter tonight I would 100% rather be able to id the load out.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

What is the best way to kill the flamethrower dude? I swear I got him 3 times with a shotgun and he still killed me :argh:

Don't be near them. The flamethrower only has a limited range so if you can stay outside of that then just backpedal and shoot at them

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Ahdinko posted:

Don't be near them. The flamethrower only has a limited range so if you can stay outside of that then just backpedal and shoot at them

run through a door and drop a gas nade at your feet [insert gas smilie here]

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

What is the best way to kill the flamethrower dude? I swear I got him 3 times with a shotgun and he still killed me :argh:

They take significantly reduced damage from bullets to their chest and limbs, you need to use incendiary nades, (to a normal soldier the afterburn is ~40 damage, they'll take about 20) frags or dynamite to flush them out.

My opinion is that melee takedowns are the way to go. I've had a lot of success throwing heavy anti tank grenades at sentries or flammenwerfers and charging around a corner if they don't run away. To anyone who doesn't know, bayonet charges are an instant kill but melee weapons vary significantly. The second damage bar in the customisation page is the takedown threshold. A pickaxe or shovel only needs their health to be 80% for a takedown but clubs and the trench knife are lower.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Smashlampjaw posted:

Any goons playing on Xbox1 right now..?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788498

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Chronojam posted:

I'm lazy about youtubing things but I've got a bunch of bomber shootdowns. They're really strong for some reason. Generally you can get a disable/kill/engine-crit and then it'll crash to kill the gunner.

I've had a tough time downing them I gotta try the flak guns.

Is there an anti air truck in this game? I haven't seen a list of vehicles yet.

Chronojam posted:

I'm going to actually try doing more shadow play uploads. Here's the highlight of the night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1O5LcrVCMA

Can you tell me how you get youtube to save the video at 1080p 60fps? I have shadowplay set to custom and the settings are maxed I believe.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

afkmacro posted:

Can you tell me how you get youtube to save the video at 1080p 60fps? I have shadowplay set to custom and the settings are maxed I believe.

Youtube takes a while to render your video at 1080p unless you've got more than 100 subscribers apparently. It'll upload fine but it'll do lower quality settings first and then jump up to 1080p.

If its short, just use Streamable.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Youtube takes a while to render your video at 1080p unless you've got more than 100 subscribers apparently. It'll upload fine but it'll do lower quality settings first and then jump up to 1080p.

If its short, just use Streamable.

Thanks, I was looking for something that does basic stuff like trimming. :)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
:siren:I'm able to buy stuff on https://www.battlefield.com/en-gb/career/ right now so get your anti tank rocket for the assault class now:siren:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

afkmacro posted:

Is there an anti air truck in this game? I haven't seen a list of vehicles yet.

You can customise the artillery truck to be mobile AA.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Delacroix posted:

And then use it against infantry :)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

moist turtleneck posted:

:siren:I'm able to buy stuff on https://www.battlefield.com/en-gb/career/ right now so get your anti tank rocket for the assault class now:siren:

Just to clarify: You can buy stuff through the bf.com career section without needing to level up to the appropriate level, but you do need the "warbucks" to afford the upgrade. Still a good bug to abuse for now.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
drat flying with a controller is so much easier. I still suck with the fast plane but at least lining up bombing runs works fairly well now.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

The light tank is my favorite vehicle at the moment. I had a round where I went like 35-2 with it. The anti-personnel shot-shell is just so dirty and I love it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Setting the game to borderless windowed has just about doubled my FPS. If anyone is having performance problems I'd really recommend it. I'm still not getting what I think I should on a 1080, but the game is at least playable now.

Now that I'm not having massive FPS drops I'm also having a pretty good time with the infantry combat in this game. I feel like I have way fewer random deaths than I did in BF3 or 4, which is really nice. I might actually buy this game.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 1, 2016

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Crain posted:

Just to clarify: You can buy stuff through the bf.com career section without needing to level up to the appropriate level, but you do need the "warbucks" to afford the upgrade. Still a good bug to abuse for now.

Pretty sure they fixed this.

Just tried to buy stuff and all I got was a "failed to buy" notification. I think EA is on to us :ninja:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
When I posted that a few minutes ago it was working, but I could only do it with infantry classes, the tank stuff always failed to buy

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Delacroix posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't even notice the vehicle customization options on that career page! 😮

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
I love how one of the complaints i saw the most on reddit was that Semi autos and SMGs weren't very common and how everyone should have bolt action rifles, now that literally every team is half snipers i can see why they took some liberties.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm using a single shot sniper most of the time now

http://i.imgur.com/t7L2t7W.gifv

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Bob Wins posted:

I love how one of the complaints i saw the most on reddit was that Semi autos and SMGs weren't very common and how everyone should have bolt action rifles, now that literally every team is half snipers i can see why they took some liberties.

Yeah that is really annoying, like I have played maybe 2-3 rounds if scout or whatever it's called. But drat it really does seem like at least 50% of every team is sniper's just laying in some rocks. It's slightly less annoying now that I can say hello back with the assault antitank gun. But still you can almost feel it coming when you hear the 5 sniper bullet sounds that one of them will get his wish today and manage that "perfect"* shot.

*note that perfect shot does not require a head shot or have any requirements other than the accidental death if the target

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

afkmacro posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't even notice the vehicle customization options on that career page! 😮

I was wondering why an a7v I was in suddenly became armed with flamethrowers, now I know where to get them for fighting inside town. I wonder what that ft-17 howitzer option is like

also :goonsay: a7v seems a little bigger than irl, having stood next to the real one the guns seem a little higher than I would expect, unless our characters aren't 6' as is fps standard nowdays

finally I got my ft-17 footage up (as soon as it finishes encoding) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzmy3hMPSqk

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It is very satisfying to mow down hill snipers with the German tank's pinpoint accurate machineguns. They don't even bother to move for whatever reason so I had plenty of time for the accuracy to build up.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

As much as I like the new melee system, I kind of feel there should be some way to interrupt the bayonet charge. Had a dude charge into a house I was in. Ran over my trip mine, took a few LMG bullets. But nope he had 1 HP left and made contact so instakill :saddowns:

Like I'm not saying the first bit of damage immediately halt it but maybe have successive damage drain the charge meter also or something?

Other than that this game owns.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Why the hell does DICE keep making desert maps with horrible sandstorms that limit visibility to nothing?

Does anyone think this is fun?

Rain is more interesting

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I miss fighting on that carrier in whatever game it was. They should have more unusual maps like that

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why the hell does DICE keep making desert maps with horrible sandstorms that limit visibility to nothing?

Rain is more interesting

Because gently caress them scouts. Honestly makes it more tolerable and can even force the game to continue when your attacking team decides "nope we good just sniping back here"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I was really hoping the map would be Wake Island, as it should be for every Battlefield game

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

pnutz posted:

I was wondering why an a7v I was in suddenly became armed with flamethrowers, now I know where to get them for fighting inside town. I wonder what that ft-17 howitzer option is like

Tried the howitzer once, it's incredibly lovely. The shell drops like a brick, it's really hard to hit anything that's moving with it and it deals fuckall dmg to infantry. It's pretty good at demolishing houses but that's it.

I love that you can drop torpedoes on tanks with the anti ship loadout. I guess they are called land-ships for a reason :getin:.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Fried Watermelon posted:

Rain is more interesting

disagree, the sandstorm rules. people actually tend to stick with little groups of teammates they run into in the storm

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Getting some real Hardline vibes from this. Who thought making all the guns awful would be any fun

slev
Apr 6, 2009

The sandstorm should always be going because it makes running around with the shotgun even better.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So I was a gunner in a landship once, firing the big guns. But the reloading was really weird. It kept getting reset, so it wouldn't load. What's causing that?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I am having a ton of fun with the beta. I love that the anti tank grenade is also a home wrecking anti personal grenade too. I have a bunch of multi kills and squad wipes tossing it into the little homes around C

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

SquadronROE posted:

So I was a gunner in a landship once, firing the big guns. But the reloading was really weird. It kept getting reset, so it wouldn't load. What's causing that?

:dice:

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

When you're on the last shell, if you fire immediately as soon as it finishes reloading and the counter hits one again you'll gently caress it up and it'll reload again. It's a bugfeature since bf3 if i'm not mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Game is fun. Sounds are amazing. Wish the UI wasn't just exactly Battlefront's though.