Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

if i wanted to get into competitive a bit where would i start? the burden of knowledge seems absolutely insane

should i just make some teams on showdown and flail around for a bit to see what works

It might be best to wait until the new games come out so everyone is more or less on the same level. But yeah, watch some people online, try things out in Showdown, or bang your head against Battle Spot, it's fun no matter what you do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

if i wanted to get into competitive a bit where would i start? the burden of knowledge seems absolutely insane

should i just make some teams on showdown and flail around for a bit to see what works

you could grab a team with guys you like off of smogon and use it while you learn on the ladder. if you run into a problem mon look it up on smogon and see its strengths and weaknesses and eventually you'll be familiar with the tier. I recommend OU to learn on since it has a smaller pool of viable pokemon so you're not overwhelmed by threats or choices once you feel comfortable enough to make your own team.

OR you could look up a mon you like on smogon, and there'll be a blurb at the end detailing pokemon that go well with it on a team and its counters and use that to build

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HoneyBoy posted:

THe best part of the z-moves are the trainers doing it in unison

The ghost one is great

it's not really "in unison" because the pokemon doesn't do poo poo. seriously look at the fighting one, lucario just stands there like it was the civilian pose in tf2, it looks like poo poo.

Ruggington posted:

you could grab a team with guys you like off of smogon and use it while you learn on the ladder. if you run into a problem mon look it up on smogon and see its strengths and weaknesses and eventually you'll be familiar with the tier. I recommend OU to learn on since it has a smaller pool of viable pokemon so you're not overwhelmed by threats or choices once you feel comfortable enough to make your own team.

this is what I do

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I missed the Jirachi giveaway month ages ago because I was not re-into-Pokemon at the time. Anyone have an extra and want to throw it to a goon? Trying to get a full 'dex before S&M make it even harder. I guess I also need a Reshiram but that's way easier to get.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Countblanc posted:

it's not really "in unison" because the pokemon doesn't do poo poo. seriously look at the fighting one, lucario just stands there like it was the civilian pose in tf2, it looks like poo poo.

this is what I do

But the trainers are literally stands and their attacks are manifested as giant nuke explosions and tsunami whirlpools and ghost hands dragging the enemy to hell etc.

Don't take the fun out of this

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

play pokken tournament with me instead

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Oh God drat It.

Always save often friends, cause if your game cartridge accidently pops out of your 3DS just before you fight Steven in ORAS Nuzlocke and your last save was before Mossdeep Gym and several hard deaths ago your feels for the suddenly revived pokemon may make you unable to continue the game. Oh well, maybe I'll start over.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sounds like a q episode

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Someone put this in the OP.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

sharrrk posted:

play pokken tournament with me instead

i dont have a wii u

thanks everyone for the tips!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Someone put this in the OP.

Done.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is mewtwo still the coolest legendary ever?
And what was the pokemon gamefreak tried to market hard as the new lucario? It was black with edgy red highlights. Did it ever become super popular like they tried to make it?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Zoroark. I don't know, but I don't think so either.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually mega beedrill is the best because its loving beedrill and it can actually kill stuff! :eyepop:

Beedril is good and cool and I hope that there are more pokebees in the future

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Redeye Flight posted:

Zoroark. I don't know, but I don't think so either.

Zoroark and Zorua are kind of a sad case. Game Freak really wanted to recreate Lucario's popularity so they made another bipedal canine and made them super rare in Black and White. In order to actually get one of each in your game, you needed to transfer special legendaries like Celebi and Shiny Legendary Beasts from the Gen 4 games through a special method exclusively for these Pokémon and activate events with them in Black and White.

Then at some point they must have realized that the only Pokémon that could fill Lucario's shoes was Lucario itself. So later games came out, Riolu and Lucario got more and more prominent (you can catch wild Riolu before your first badge in Black 2, White 2, X and Y) while Zoroark and Zorua got more and more "common". They were "demoted" from special event requiring legendaries (Black and White) to being given to as a gift (Black 2 and White 2) to being available in the wild late game (X and Y) to being available on the first route after unlocking the national dex (Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire).

Wow that's a lot of words for Pokémon I don't really care for that much.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Zuzie posted:

Zoroark and Zorua are kind of a sad case.

:( You even regret talking about him for too long. Poor Zoroark.

That said I have never used one but they're pretty cool looking

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
that Snorlax Z-Move singlehandedly justifies Z-Moves. :syoon:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man alolan rattata isn't supposed to have a moustache, it's meant to evoke the weird masks anime robbers wear in anime

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Zorua and Zoroark are cool illusion foxes, and their movie is way better than Lucario's. Well, if only because the Zorua movie is practically a nod to Steins;Gate. :v:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Zoroark is pretty good, even competitively in singles. Plus it has an awesome shiny, unlike some of my other favorites.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
DAT SNORLAX MOVE.

Holy poo poo, Snorlax just became cool.

Jithendra
May 23, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

:( You even regret talking about him for too long. Poor Zoroark.

That said I have never used one but they're pretty cool looking

Zoroark is fun to use, especially with Trick and a choice scarf. I used it for one of the Halloween tournaments they did, last year I think? The only problem is that it's really frail, so you need to be careful what you disguise it as. So it's kinda difficult to work into a team because it takes up at least two party slots. In competitions you can also choose to disguise it as something else on the fly, since you'll be picking the order of your party before each battle. A lot of people don't know that Illusion works that way.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Zoroark and Lucario are both in the deviantart furry egg group. It is very difficult for me to justify using them.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
If someone manages to get one of those Snorlax gifs down to avatar size, they will officially be my favorite person. Because those are amazing and I want to be reminded of them every time I post.

Also Alolan Rattata is cool I guess. I find it hard to be hype about Rattata in any form.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I find Illusion would work on a pokemon that could take a hit. Dark doesn't really resist much other than psychic, ghost, and dark and even neutral attacks are going to absolutely steam roll it. Given that flying and ground cover what psychic would be used for I don't really see much use for it. Now if you gave illusion to a steel type? That would help.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lazaruise posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdz_UT5F6jA

Cantonese trailer has the Fighting and Ghost type Z-Moves in it.

Fighting at 1:36

Ghost at 1:43

Of course they give Lucario Star Platinum.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kooriken posted:

If someone manages to get one of those Snorlax gifs down to avatar size, they will officially be my favorite person. Because those are amazing and I want to be reminded of them every time I post.

along those lines if anyone's down for making avs i would really love an avatar of alolan raichu's super move stuff. any parts of it could look rad, swooping into the sky or flying away from the explosion or anything

i love alolan raichu

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Houle posted:

I find Illusion would work on a pokemon that could take a hit. Dark doesn't really resist much other than psychic, ghost, and dark and even neutral attacks are going to absolutely steam roll it. Given that flying and ground cover what psychic would be used for I don't really see much use for it. Now if you gave illusion to a steel type? That would help.

i nominate a Steel/Ghost or Steel/Fairy pokemon that's a funhouse mirror with illusion

get to it gamefreak

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Oh man alolan rattata isn't supposed to have a moustache, it's meant to evoke the weird masks anime robbers wear in anime

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zuzie posted:

Zoroark and Zorua are kind of a sad case. Game Freak really wanted to recreate Lucario's popularity so they made another bipedal canine and made them super rare in Black and White. In order to actually get one of each in your game, you needed to transfer special legendaries like Celebi and Shiny Legendary Beasts from the Gen 4 games through a special method exclusively for these Pokémon and activate events with them in Black and White.

Then at some point they must have realized that the only Pokémon that could fill Lucario's shoes was Lucario itself. So later games came out, Riolu and Lucario got more and more prominent (you can catch wild Riolu before your first badge in Black 2, White 2, X and Y) while Zoroark and Zorua got more and more "common". They were "demoted" from special event requiring legendaries (Black and White) to being given to as a gift (Black 2 and White 2) to being available in the wild late game (X and Y) to being available on the first route after unlocking the national dex (Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire).

They were really trying to make it take Lucario's place hard. Even replacing the Lucario character in their Sunday kid's show with a Zoroark for a while, but then they saw it just wasn't working out and Zoroark got dropped like a hot potato. Good thing too as we'd be getting bipedal dogs each Gen just like the Electric rodents if it had worked.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'd like to announce that alolan rattata will not be finding it's way onto my team as I do not want to aggravate the hardworking mons under my care

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Geostomp posted:

They were really trying to make it take Lucario's place hard. Even replacing the Lucario character in their Sunday kid's show with a Zoroark for a while, but then they saw it just wasn't working out and Zoroark got dropped like a hot potato. Good thing too as we'd be getting bipedal dogs each Gen just like the Electric rodents if it had worked.

Then again, they've been hyping Rockruff a lot. They mentioned that it has a special connection to the starter Pokémon and it apparently has a special evolution. With all the rumors that it'll become a werewolf, I wouldn't be surprised if they hype Rockruff's family as Gen 7's answer to Lucario and Zoroark.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

He finally opened his eyes
https://twitter.com/miscinsanity/status/771526938242473984

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

aw poo poo that battle frontier brain with a wide-on for squinty eyes is gonna be so disappointed

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I really like Lucario's design, though, and I never really clicked into Zoroark's the same way, is the big difference. I'm having a hard time explaining why, honestly, but that's how it is on my end.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zoroarc is cool because his signature move is neat (no idea if it is good) and because you can occasionally trick your bros into wasting a Psychic, which is cool and good.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zoroark could have been a thing if, y'know, it wasn't a lovely event only 'mon.

I hope whatever scrub in marketing was behind that got canned. :argh:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Ruggington posted:

I'd like to announce that alolan rattata will not be finding it's way onto my team as I do not want to aggravate the hardworking mons under my care

what if raticate looks really cool tho

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

I really like Lucario's design, though, and I never really clicked into Zoroark's the same way, is the big difference. I'm having a hard time explaining why, honestly, but that's how it is on my end.
I'm the same, except the other way around. Lucario always looked goofy as poo poo to me and I never understood where the cool factor was coming from, but zoroark is good.
I'm glad Zoroark didn't work out though, or like that other guy said, we'd be getting bipedal dogs every single gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Im a cool dude and this is my battle theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5owpG9E8weU